Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The island of Ireland unites for 15-year-old ski racer

Poster: A snowHead
Richard Wilkinson, a 15-year-old skier from Belfast, is obtaining an FIS licence to race for the Irish Republic.

Richard faced difficulties in racing for Great Britain because of the quota allocation of places favouring England, Scotland and Wales. His plan, though, is to train with racers from England. This is what he said:

"In terms of how far I'd like to take it, I'd love to take it to the junior winter Olympics with the Irish squad. I think I've a chance and it would be a brilliant opportunity."

This report from BBC Online.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, so the British schoolboys' international slalom was held in a restaurant called Mirabelle? By Jove, these chaps really are short of competition facilities!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Obvoiously a highly researched and knowledgeble piece by the BBC! Maybe the reporter was in Mirabelle and the action else where simply talked about over coffee and liquers Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Schoolboys was actually held in Menuires on t'other side of the mountain. It was the National Children's/Junior Championship that was in Méribel a couple of months later.

Good luck to Richard, but the Schoolboys lacked quite a few of the top British Children II's. Jack Breton who came second to Richard by little more than half a second over two slalom runs is two years younger - (and beat Richard by three seconds over two GS runs to win the Schoolboys Giant Slalom). Richard did ok in Méribel - he's a good skier, no doubt about it.

Martin Bell, maybe we should have had the Méribel Championships indoors - at least it would have protected us from the April downpours and slush that meant anyone after bib 15 in the slalom and GS hadn't a hope!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, if they actually build the thing http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/dont_miss/snoasis/snoasis.shtml we might have somewhere for our kids to train. The final meeting's supposed to be about now . . . fingers crossed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Back to Richard - once he gets his FIS licence, competing around Europe in FIS races is a hard school, trying to battle your way up through the rankings. In the meantime, winning races is a thing of the past. As a first year, no points in the bag, bib number 100 if he's lucky and just about finishing in the top 100 if he's any good!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Martin Bell wrote:
David Goldsmith, so the British schoolboys' international slalom was held in a restaurant called Mirabelle? By Jove, these chaps really are short of competition facilities!

Yes, tres amusant!
I emailed the Beeb about that boob.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Perhaps just as well they didn't report it as Les Menuires - they might have misspelt that and unintentionally referred to it by its common nickname (amongst Brits).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
By the way, good luck to Richard Wilkinson, following in the footsteps of those such as Bob McKee, Denis O'Brien, the Columb lads, Paul Schwarzacher-Joyce and McGarry girls.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When was Ireland renamed the island of Ireland? Nobody in the media can mention the place without mentioning it's maritime surroundings. Nobody says they are going to the Island of Corfu or the island of Malta.
Blair was at it tonight, as if it isn't taking him long enough to get his words out these days anyway, he has to use irrelevant verbal padding for emphasis. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pistemeister, many people use that description to signify the complete island, North and South, as some people think when they hear the word "Ireland", that it is referring to the Republic of Ireland. So, by saying "The island" you are referring to the landmass, and not making any comments on political divisions within it.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat, ... but leaving out Rathlin Island, The Aran Islands, Achil Island, Valentia Island, etc, etc? Just kidding, I can see the point, but I do find the formulation a bit of a mouthful! Maybe 'all-Ireland' would be better, but that seems to have gone out of fashion.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, "All-Ireland" is already used by the GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) to refer to many of its sporting events, and as such, could be misconstrued as being a Republican phrase.

(you have to be VERY careful when using words which might just be considered political)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat,

What about Londonderry, Derry, Stroke City and Maiden city????????? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnboy, totally!
Last I remember, the best solution I saw was when addressing an envelope, you put down:
Londonderry,
Co. Derry.

(So, it's now FAT DAD)
latest report
I think that is the BBCs line on it as well.

If reporting on the city they firstly refer to it as Londonderry and Derry thereafter.

No complications here in Coleraine
latest report
I've never understood this one. It's the Apprentice Boys of Derry isn't it? I've just skimmed their site, and they seem to use Derry in other contexts as well.
latest report
 brian
brian
laundryman, the apprentice boys shutting the gates in the late 17th century was well before "London" was tagged onto the name, I believe.
snow report
In the term sport, the word politics should be written with a small (or is that a large P). For years the Irish team has consisted of not necasarilly the best racers the country had to offer. I wonder is it the same the world over? Politics and sport, let us hope that this is the dawning of a new day both for the sport in this country and the people. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy