Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jnr Skis Advice Requested - Fischer RC4 Comp Jnr Purchased

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're looking for some new skis for the kids. They currently have K2 Juvy's but the skis are now too short for them.

From what I've seen so far, many other junior skis don't seem to have the build quality of the existing K2's, so longer length K2 Juvy's may still be an option. The other (non twin tip) models that are currently up for consideration are :-

Atomic Race 10
Fischer RC4 Comp Jnr
Salomon X Wing Fury Jnr

Can anyone provide any feedback about these Jnr models?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-07-11 7:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Race 10 is a kids race ski and very popular on the artifical race circuit (we just sold 4 pairs second-hand). If the kids are technically good and strong (for their age) then they'll find them great, but you might want to look at the softer 9 or 8 instead - but they are still race skis.

The RC4 I think is similar, although there are many varients of RC4 which seem to vary from year-to-year (it's called confusion marketing) and you need to check the exact spec of the one you are looking at.

The XWing is probably closest to the what they've previously had, i.e. a more all-mountain ski.

How old are the kids?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobW, Thanks for your input.
Boy 8 (9 in Sept) Girl 11 (12 in Dec)
Both are very fit and can ski the pants off me (but don't let on) and seem to be growing exponentially , so they have outgrown their skis and will also need replacement boots within 6 months.
Their instructor this year recommended they next go into race training group for their skiing to continue to develop, so we thought much more of a dedicated piste\jnr race ski may be of use. Another set of twin tips may still be an option though. I'd seen the Atomic Race 8's in a Snow & Rock earlier this ytear but i thought they were rather clunky.
Generally, we're now looking at skis in 140 and 150 cm lengths although they will not be using them until 2012. We expect their heights to be 145cm+ and 155cm+ by that stage.
They have been bombing around the mountain on their Juvys for the last 2 years (4 weeks), even having a session on the air bag in VT, the only thing that is holding them back is me and their mother!
BTW, I hope to be looking at the Xwing and other skis this weekend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

and can ski the pants off me (but don't let on)

What's it worth not to tell 'em wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 3-07-11 9:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FraserP,

If they are planning to do race training you would be better off looking towards dedicated slalom skis, all the manufacturers mentioned make great race ski's and will be good for most of the mountain at their age (assuming average weight) they wouldn't notice much difference off piste over the Juvy's/Xwings but would see big differences on! Just be ready for "everything else to be skied off you also" steer away from twin tips unless they do a lot of tricks /ski backwards "a lot" or are fashion conscious! Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rather than mail order, I wanted to actually see the skis and compare them. Most ski retailers could only offer single ski models or skis that were definitely unsuitable. After many internet searches and phone calls, earlier this week i discovered the Devon Ski Centre, in Newton Abbot. http://www.devonski.co.uk

Their web site showed many jnr skis, including those mentioned above and a phone call confirmed they were all in stock. So a little drive down to Devon early Saturday morning was planned.

They have good range of skis and boots for all levels, their normal prices make them very competitive and the sales price even more so. I couldn't get anywhere near their ski prices at any other UK establishment. Don't expect the floor space of a Slush and Rubble establishment though. They were very helpful and talked a good amount of sense! Thank you Ian and Chris.

Well a decision was made, one cup of coffee and a choc digestive later and Fischer RC4 Comp Jnr with FJ7 rail mounted bindings were purchased @ £169 a set. Freshly waxed and ready to go! Very Happy
If you are in the market for some skis, boots or other ski accessories it's well worth a look.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FraserP, agree Devonski very helpful, I went to buy some junior salomon 3vs a while back over the phone, they were the only store to spot the fact my daughters boots although the right size and would appear to fit, would not actually be compatible with the bindings, they lost a sale! But well done for their vigilance and honesty! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Fischer RC4 Comp Jnr with FJ7 rail mounted bindings were purchased

Sssccchhhhh........Don't tell the Minimums!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FraserP, Glad you got them sorted, although a little rolling eyes at the lengths.

All you need to do now is get them along to Ski Torquay on a Monday night for junior race training. (Assuming you are relatively close as you went to Devon Ski.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy