Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Australian ski resort to make snow from recycled water

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Australian ski resort Mount Hotham, in Victoria state, has announced it will start using recycled water for snowmaking as part of an $8 million project with the Victorian Government.

Environment Minister John Thwaites says the scheme will ease pressure on alpine catchments. "I'm sure that resorts elsewhere in Australia and around the world will look at what Mount Hotham is doing and using recycled water for snow-making," he said.

This report from ABC News Online.

From my limited knowledge of water use in snowmaking this does appear to be unusual, if not a first - snowmaking reservoirs are invariably fed by natural springs and streams. Whether the use of water that has (presumably) been chlorinated or otherwise chemically treated is a good idea is an interesting point to ponder.

If the water has been UV-sterilised it might be fine. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, Most of our cannons are fed from catchment lakes. We don't have many springs or streams and therefore most of the cannons are fed by recycled snow. At the glacier restaurant (and others on the mountain), they use recycled water in the loos etc. Wasn't it something like this that fell foul of some native americans in Arizona or New Mexico - putting unclean water on their sacred mountain or something?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well they do say that dirty water makes better snow
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, are you concerned with snowmaking efficiency or with hygiene? Smuggler's Notch has had some interesting possibly related projects. I have a vague memory of a septic field project at Killington?, from before that database was created (1990?) but can't seem to confirm it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy