Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls...

Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:
fatbob, you make a good point, however, I had several outings this year up the Grands Ms and down Hearse (sp) where the bumps were pretty hard and yet the troughs had lovely soft dust to brake on. Marvellous.

But, you don't want to start learning to ski in bumps on Mont Fort after a high altitude rain-freeze cycle.

spud, odd - I know no-one who can ski bumps (zip line them) who doesn't like them.

I think i am odd when it comes to Skiing... Not a fan of bumps and not particularly a fan of powder.

I just love racing gates...and when i'm not doing that, I love feeling the sensation of a perfect carve, whatever the radius of the Ski, on a well groomed piste.

I know i'm in a minority...but hey-ho, that's what floats my boat. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I really enjoy them and go looking for them.

Winter Park (Mary Jane) is one of the best places imaginable IMHO Very Happy Very Happy Bump capital of the world! wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abc wrote:

Taking out speed, the challenge left is bumps. (powder is much more fun but it's not consistently available though).
Powder isn't very challenging but heavier deep snow and breakable crust are and they are usually available all the time (except when there is new powder). And what about steep couloirs, aren't they a challenge? Especially when you get to the fall and die level!

I hate ice, but then I don't have piste skis any more so I skid a lot on ice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mmm bumps as my lad now says come on Dad man up and go straight rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bumps,ahh nivana,they deffo sort out the men from the boys,life just wouldn't be worth living without them.Why not man up this winter!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
abc wrote:

Taking out speed, the challenge left is bumps. (powder is much more fun but it's not consistently available though).
Powder isn't very challenging but heavier deep snow and breakable crust are and they are usually available all the time (except when there is new powder). And what about steep couloirs, aren't they a challenge? Especially when you get to the fall and die level!

Not really. Deep snow isn't challenging unless they've been sitting there for quite a while and compacted. It's unlikely deep snow goes undisturbed for so long unless it's very inaccessible. Powder remains powder unless it's disturbed. (when it does get disturbed, it became... moguls)

You don't get breakable crust unless you have a freeze-thaw cycle. I wouldn't call it "readily available".

What's quite often ready available is glazed ice! That's challenging for sure, but I don't see much reward in "mastering" it. Anyone interested in banging their head against the wall by any chance? Wink

Again, steep couloirs are not often accessible from the piste (or the return to piste part).

All of your "challenges" are mostly for off-piste by a fair distance and are usually done with a guide. For "runs" in any mountain, moguls are the most readily available challenge besides high speed steep runs. Hence the appeal. No crowd, no guide expense, no touring gear. Just technique (skier ) vs. the snow (mountain ).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 29-06-11 21:00; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Haha...I'm getting the feeling that being able to Ski Bumps well and brag about it, is the skiing equivalent of driving a performance sports car after hitting your 40's... All the pretty girls look then roll their eye's when they see the thinning top and bulging waistline... Laughing

Think i'll stick to the ice and gates thanks... Plenty man enough for me wink Laughing Especially when following a race suit clad female Italian race team down Embarassed Shocked Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spud wrote:
Haha...I'm getting the feeling that being able to Ski Bumps well and brag about it, is the skiing equivalent of driving a performance sports car after hitting your 40's...

Skiing IS the equivalent of driving a sports car!

Skiing bumps (or racing gates or ski) is the equivalent of driving a sports car in race pace!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:

Not really. Deep snow isn't challenging unless they've been sitting there for quite a while and compacted. It's unlikely deep snow goes undisturbed for so long unless it's very inaccessible.
Not true, it is what I ski most of the time since new snow is infrequent. A good guide will find you untracked snow a long time after the last snow fall.

abc wrote:

You don't get breakable crust unless you have a freeze-thaw cycle. I wouldn't call it "readily available".
Well OK, not all the time but at least as often as powder. And you can get very similar crust caused by wind. One holiday nearly half the stuff we skied was that.

abc wrote:
What's quite often ready available is glazed ice! That's challenging for sure, but I don't see much reward in "mastering" it.
Well there I agree with you though the OP says it is what he wants. And I can see that it could be an interesting challenge

[quote="abc]Again, steep couloirs are not often accessible from the piste (or the return to piste part).[/quote] again not true though many of them I wouldn't try without a guide. It is true, though, that I do have to walk to them now and then.

abc wrote:
All of your "challenges" are mostly for off-piste by a fair distance and are usually done with a guide. .
Well OK, much of the time I do them with a guide but mostly they are available not too far from the lifts. Difficult snow often develops very quickly off piste, unfortunately.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-06-11 22:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc wrote:
What's quite often ready available is glazed ice! That's challenging for sure, but I don't see much reward in "mastering" it.

The reward is in feeling that you have developed your technique to the point where it feels easy, just as with any other aspect of skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's nothing more depressing than seeing a perfectly good mogul run being destroyed by an overzealous piste basher. Down with groomers, I say! The only time that grooming has a place is to redistribute the snow when a mogul run breaks through to the rock below. Why would you anyone volunteer to ski a tedious piste when they could be playing in the bumps? Or, even better, ungroomed steeps, trees or powder?

It's pretty common to think that way. All my family certainly agree with me.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

hors Piste
Posts: 1003There's nothing more depressing than seeing a perfectly good mogul run being destroyed by an overzealous piste basher. Down with groomers, I say!

Here Here!!!
I like two sorts of bumps, those that you can blast through and dodge round at fairly high speed like some giant arcade game and the real monsters like jumping off the roof of a house.
In the resort I most visit, every slope on the mountain is groomed but then bizarely, they have created an artificial bump run!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

can ski bumps (zip line them) who doesn't like them.

yeah everyone loves them when they can rock down them and feel a bit showy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did ponder today that while fatbob has a point, there's nothing nicer than a nice bump to help turn on on Pierre-a-ric on the last run of the day, exhausted having lapped Hersse all afternoon.

Cos bumps help you turn...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, Indeed , as my 9 year old has come to learn my favourite mantra in the mountains is "Moguls are your friends".

On a steep pitch they offer a calming influence - they've got flat bits for goodness sake - give you a reason and a place to turn and control your descent, and, if you know what you are doing (ahem), look stylish too.

Or at least, reason to think you might look stylish... how does the old saw go as per other forum on here? "the older I get, the better I was". And each year as I return, I always think, by 'eck I done them well last year, let's do more this year.

And as the knees get older, and the joints tighter, and the eyes fade, and the breath shorter, and the flexibility goes south, it gets tougher and tougher. Still, nothing like a challenge eh? - and I can't yet believe I'm old enough to revert simply to piste cruising just yet.

(Note to self: must start Spring training soon...)
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
In the resort I most visit, every slope on the mountain is groomed but then bizarely, they have created an artificial bump run!!!

Shocked Whatever next? And I thought my OH was a control freak... rolling eyes
ski holidays
http://wiki.fisski.com/index.php/Development_of_A_Moguls_Course

like that one Smile
latest report
The artificial ones are good to develop your skills and increase the confidence, but I love the uncertainty of the natural/skier made ones.
snow report
I'm not keen and a decent set will wipe me out after 2 or 3, however, I have realised that I ought to learn how to deal with them as there could always be that day in a strange resort when its a bumps field or a black and I may need the option to ski them. This year the instructor added some instruction on very small bump areas (50 yards or so between pistes) and started to show me how to look for the line that I should follow, but I know I am still a complete novice on them. I can just about do slushy heaps at the end of a days skiing and they don't feel too bad.
snow conditions
Megamum, there's no big trick to skiing bumps.

At your stage of development (as I understand it) you really do want to be focusing on absorbing bumps so you can traverse comfortably through them.
snow report
Is this dude serious??

Moguls are my favorite thing about skiing. There is nothing better than roaring through them and using the last one for a nice little launch. In fact the only time I really ski flat is in between bump runs to give my legs a quick rest.

Also, does anybody know who to attribute the "It's not that you can't ski moguls, it's that you can't ski and moguls prove it" quote to? I've seen this in various places without any credit.
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
I really enjoy them and go looking for them.

Winter Park (Mary Jane) is one of the best places imaginable IMHO Very Happy Very Happy Bump capital of the world! wink

ABSOLUTELY. I grew up skiing in WP, it is mogul heaven for sure.
latest report
Someone upthread made a good point about tiredness level. Bumps are all very well if you're fresh and ready but since they usually appear towards the end of a day when you're tired anyway they can be horrible.
latest report
STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING! Skullie
snow report
stanton,
+1
snow conditions
No run that has been groomed has the right to be rated a black!
ski holidays
My opinion of Bump Capital of the World is Beaver Creek. One peak over the back serviced by one lift just has long bump runs all over it. And they are usually massive bumps! I can get down them but slowly.
As many snowheads know I judge mogul skiing and find it amazing to watch - but I can't do it to that level - I'm just a recreational mogul skier.
Any Snowheads in Les Arcs early February - pop across to La Rosiere on 10th or 11th February to watch the Europa Cup and say Hi.
snow report
So this thread has been (ahem) bumped.

mk87, Welcome to snowHead . I'll be in WP in a few days. - Looking forward to them thar bumps Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy