Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Moguls...

Poster: A snowHead
...What's the point in them? Does anyone actually go looking for them and find them fun?

I really can't stand them...or see the point in their existance.

I'm all for being able to Ski different conditions and variables in snow...but these man made monstrosities are a complete waste of time imho. What do they achieve?

The only time i think they are effective and of use, is when they are used to control speed on the piste... as in when section of a piste will be left ungroomed and allowed to bump up to prevent skiers from gaining too much speed and getting out of control.

I like to be able to use my Ski's in the way they were designed to be used. Either carving or floating on powder.

I know you can buy Mogul skis...but what is the point... I just don't get it. Do people actually get a buzz and enjoyment from skiing them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Do people actually get a buzz and enjoyment from skiing them?

Yup.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spud, yes and yes and I'm a pretty crap skier

"as in when section of a piste will be left ungroomed and allowed to bump up to prevent skiers from gaining too much speed and getting out of control. " I don't think that's what sections are left ungroomed Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spud, Hello near namesake! I now enjoy bumps. didn't until this season, but it finally came together thanks to quite a lot of technique coaching at Hemel (from the Inside Out guys). I suppose the enjoyment comes from the pleasure of finally getting to grips with an area of skiing I used to find conpletely impossible.

I've still got a long way to go, and I'm not consistently holding a line, there tends to be quite a lot of unplanned line changes.

Also, losing The Bump Fear opens up a lot more of the mountain, e.g. the dotted line itinery routes that seem to appear on so many piste maps these days.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spud, I think it tends to be easier to get to grips with handling bumps later in the season when they tend to be softer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spud wrote:
Does anyone actually go looking for them and find them fun?

Yep Toofy Grin

I run intro to bumps sessions throughout the season and note that the reason most people "can't" ski moguls is that most people "don't" ski moguls. To learn how to ski them is simple:
1st go and ski in moguls
2nd that's is really
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spud, Exhilarating, especially if you manage to link a few turns and get a straight'ish line. Can't ski 'em, do look for 'em, get a massive buzz from 'em
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spud,

When you can't ski them at all they are a pain in the rear end but skiing pistes can get boring and / or crowded. Bumps present another challenge and bump skiing skills are useful elsewhere (e.g. offpiste). A fair few professional / Olympic mogul skiers go on to become professional big mountain skiers (e.g. Jonny Mosley). To me they are another part of the mountain to try and master ("try" being the operative word).

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 29-06-11 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spud,hmmmm, Moguls are they a breed like the Chamonix??? nope , don´t think I´ve ever seen one Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow...quiet a few positives then. Laughing

Don't get me wrong... I can Ski them, I just don't find them fun or exillarating. I just look at them as a nuisance.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thought I quite liked moguls until I realised, under snowarea's tutelage, that I was unbelievably bad at them. Trying (and failing) to get better was seriously knackering.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spud,

Moguls are manmade Alpine Acne and God's way of saying "Go to the pub. Now".

(would like to have DB's approach to them but for me life's too short....)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spud, I must admit I'm not keen. I probably don't ski them as well as I ski off piste since I almost never ski them if I don't have to. If I were a piste skier I would probably ski them quite a lot just to do something a bit more challenging - however I get my kicks from steep slopes and challenge from breakable crust. If, on rare occasions, I find myself at a bump field with no alternative off-piste I tend to ski down the edge or a steeper line which is usually less scraped and less bumped-up. All or nearly all the guides I know tend to avoid bumps too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven't skied a mogul field in anger since I cast aside my flourescent pink ski jacket in the halcyon winter of 92/93.

Bootpack to powder/steeps a much better option in my view.

Big Paua, agreed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think people go out to make them, they're just a by product of skiing a steep slope with turns.

I had bumps lessons last season and now enjoy them much more than I did before because I can now adapt the proper technique to skiing them. Compression turns are your friend Very Happy

Also, as has been pointed out, they are a great place to practice off piste technique, and bumps can be found off piste anyway.

Still not my favourite things to ski, but now at least i can say i don't mind them snowHead
snow report
Cant ski big ones very well - I mean stupid massive with drops in excess of 1 metre, but love them on blues and reds.

For me they are a bit of a challenge so I send the kids down the piste and i travel over the bumps having tried to get the kids to come along first Smile

They suit my style of having my skis to close together so its the only time my kids dont get to call me a old fashioned skier and get my legs apart lol
latest report
My breakthrough a fair few years ago, came when i used the back of the mogul to slow down, rather than the front.

I remember standing at the top of a mogul field at the top of the Bellecotte Glacier, and it was carnage in front of me. It looked like something out of the Napoleanic Wars...Cannon fire had found it's mark. Poles, Limbs, Ski's, clothing, Goggles, Sunglasses, Bobble hats...everywhere. It was physically impossible to find a line down. It was at this point I remember thinking 'what the hell is the point of this?'

My knees are too precious to destroy completely, just to say 'I can ski Moguls'... Each to their own of course.
ski holidays
spud,

1. skiing bumps properly isn't hard on your knees

2. IMO, skiing bumps properly and well is probably the epitome of having good recreational technique

3. or, to put it another way, it's not that you can't ski bumps, it's that you can't ski and the bumps are just demonstrating this

4. They are awesome fun
ski holidays
under a new name, ^ point 4 depends on how knackered you are when you come across them. Also there are bumps and bumps - the rock hard VW size ones that you find some places are more of a war of attrition than a 2/3 day old bump field. Long snow droughts & high traffic routes don't help e.g. the Swiss Wall PdS, Tunnel in AdH, Mont Fort in Verbier - there are better places to learn.
latest report
Soft April moguls on sugary snow are my Nirvana. The White Lady gets some of the best anywhere. Get your feet and knees together, go down low and fast and ski that tight line through the valley's for one of skiing ultimate experiences. How cool are you Cool

Unfortunately these days it is really difficult to find bumps on piste and as Spud9 says you have to follow the intinery routes for the fun stuff, try the Stockhorn above Zermatt snowHead

Stiff wide carving skis, bulldozed hillsides, winch cats and no doubt litigation have made them all but impossible to find on piste. Skiing has become too processed Evil or Very Mad
latest report
There is even the unusual phemonemon some places of the hard core bumps skier. Within the population of Squaw Valley locals there is a subset of KT locals who will only ride KT22 chair and a further subset of West Face locals who will only ski West Face off the lift. This is phenomenal pitch and to see those guys ski it top to bottom lap after lap is humbling. Needless to say that resort efforts to rename it Jonny Moseley's Run continue to be resisted. Legend has it that they tried winch cat grooming it once and soon stopped as the number of tourists going for long slides was making life difficult for ski patrol.
snow conditions
Much more fun than motorway courduroy tedium, but I only seek to ski them when having an onpiste day - apart from late.season slush heaven bumps anyway.
snow report
I don't mind them, and after a few runs to get back into them they are fun.

There is a thrill about clearing one of them to find a mega drop on the other side, or a much tighter gap than expected. By the time you think you're stuffed; you extend, absorb what seemed impossible, extend again and you're on to the next one
latest report
If you can ski bumps then you love them. I'll seek out the bumps over an icy hard packed piste any day.
snow conditions
If you can ski bumps then you love them. I'll seek out the bumps over an icy hard packed piste any day.
ski holidays
I like the moguls - after all they did invent the korma and the biryani! Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

Legend has it that they tried winch cat grooming it once and soon stopped as the number of tourists going for long slides was making life difficult for ski patrol.

In my view, slope gradient over certain number should NOT be groomed all the way! Those who wants to ski steep runs must demonstrate their ability by skiing the moguls first! That would help prevent the "tourist" getting in over their head.

As under a new name pointed out:
Quote:

put it another way, it's not that you can't ski bumps, it's that you can't ski and the bumps are just demonstrating this
ski holidays
beanie1 wrote:

That's interesting...and why everyone is different.

I can ski Moguls/bumps...I just don't like them. I get no enjoyment from them however well i ski them.

I do however love a hard packed,Icy, steep, boiler plate type piste. Stick me on that with some gates and i'm as happy as a pig in muck.

Each to their own of course. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1 wrote:
I'll seek out the bumps over an icy hard packed piste any day.

Have you not been sharpening your edges often enough ?

In hindsight it might have been better if you had been able to get the Smartrack plate version of your 3V LABs, or maybe even a pair of 155cm children's SL skis.
ski holidays
rjs, I didn't say I can't ski it, just that I prefer bumps (and ski them better than I ski on piste)! I love my 3V LABs, they're great all round - and I wouldn't want a softer ski.
snow report
spud wrote:
beanie1 wrote:

That's interesting...and why everyone is different.

I can ski Moguls/bumps...I just don't like them. I get no enjoyment from them however well i ski them.

I do however love a hard packed,Icy, steep, boiler plate type piste. Stick me on that with some gates and i'm as happy as a pig in muck.

Each to their own of course. Smile

I've always know the world consist of two types of people: those who gets a thrill from speed and those who don't.

hardpack icy steep boiler plate piste are conducive to high speed. Hence the thrill. Bumps only slows you down.Smile

For those who don't get the speed thrill, it's just a silly danger with no reward. I confess being one of such.

Taking out speed, the challenge left is bumps. (powder is much more fun but it's not consistently available though). Bump field is a bit like a dance floor, those who can step forward. snowHead
latest report
abc, There is a third option of just turning more often to keep the speed down. I can ski bumps fine but I would much rather be skiing on a nice bit of ice.
snow report
abc wrote:
Bump field is a bit like a dance floor, those who are drunk enough say "what the hell, I'm sure I'm great". Cue windmilling arms and odd shuffling of feet, plus risk of loss of "equipment"

Just thought we'd make sure the analogy is fully explored wink
snow report
fatbob,
Quote:

abc wrote:
Bump field is a bit like a dance floor, those who are drunk enough say "what the hell, I'm sure I'm great". Cue windmilling arms and odd shuffling of feet, plus risk of loss of "equipment"

Who do you dance with....Lorena Bobbitt
snow conditions
Snakeskin Si, OK lets just say damage, some of the dancefloors I've seen have had ladies who weren't above the odd tactical knee deployment.
ski holidays
Bumps ('specially soft, big ones Very Happy ) + Tele skis = much fun and much less harm to back and knees Very Happy
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Snakeskin Si, OK lets just say damage, some of the dancefloors I've seen have had ladies who weren't above the odd tactical knee deployment.

i can see fatbob is getting all misty eyed about his youthful days in Southport's premier nitespot, the Kingsway wink
snow conditions
with the "authentically European" Berlin Bar underneath. Presumably named in the hope that someone would do us all a favour and knock the walls down.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
abc, There is a third option of just turning more often to keep the speed down. I can ski bumps fine but I would much rather be skiing on a nice bit of ice.

No, that's not an option if you crave for speed!

And it's boring and a bit silly to keep making turns on a perfectly flat piste. You got neither the speed sensation nor the sense of challenge and accomplishment.
latest report
fatbob, you make a good point, however, I had several outings this year up the Grands Ms and down Hearse (sp) where the bumps were pretty hard and yet the troughs had lovely soft dust to brake on. Marvellous.

But, you don't want to start learning to ski in bumps on Mont Fort after a high altitude rain-freeze cycle.

spud, odd - I know no-one who can ski bumps (zip line them) who doesn't like them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy