Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Franc v Pound/Euro – will anyone visit Switzerland this year???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/swiss-franc-tumbles-9-as-snb-gets-aggressive/a521672?re=15746&ea=238175&utm_source=BulkEmail_WM_Daily&utm_medium=BulkEmail_WM_Daily&utm_campaign=BulkEmail_WM_Daily

Quote:
The Swiss franc has fallen 9% after the Swiss National Bank announced plans to peg the franc to the euro.

In a blow to the safe haven currency, the Swiss National Bank (SNB) said it will set a minimum exchange rate target of 1.20 francs to the euro and enforce it by buying foreign currency in unlimited quantities.

'With immediate effect, it will no longer tolerate a EUR/CHF exchange rate below the minimum rate of CHF 1.20. The SNB will enforce this minimum rate with the utmost determination and is prepared to buy foreign currency in unlimited quantities,' the bank said in a brief statement
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1556garyt wrote:

'With immediate effect, it will no longer tolerate a EUR/CHF exchange rate below the minimum rate of CHF 1.20. The SNB will enforce this minimum rate with the utmost determination and is prepared to buy foreign currency in unlimited quantities,' the bank said in a brief statement

That's OK. We've got a Government who will be quite happy to print in unlimited quantities, so that's handy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CANV CANVINGTON,
Quote:
Swiss national Bank has intervened today.. put in a ccy peg ag the euro at 1.2.................oh dear will they never learn

It has worked very well for Hong Kong with very active management by the HKMA - I've worked with some of the people who set that currency peg up, and despite huge criticism and misgivings, it has performed well and delivered more economic stability to HK than they would have achieved with a free-float. Managed floats are pretty hard to operate and SNB are one of the most experienced operators around with a long history of market intervention –so good the currency is worth its weight in Gold! Providing the Euro doesn’t slide back down to 0.80 v USD this solution should work for everyone. Everyone except Brits, especially those who would like to ski in Switzerland! This may be my last season there Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will be interesting to see if they manage to peg the Swiss franc to 1.2 euro. The euro zone is obviously a lot bigger than CH...
(however its a last resort - as the Swiss really don't want to join the euro being fiercely proud of their independence and neutrality).

Sadly I wont be skiing in CH until the exchange rate gets better.
Its currently looking too expensive for UK visitors.

Having said that big resorts such as Verbier & Zermatt will survive what ever the exchange rate. Such places attract top end clients that probably wont even notice prices have gone up. It is smaller 'hidden gem' resorts off the beaten track that will suffer the most I guess. Places like Bruson, Evolene, Andermatt (many of which have almost gone out of business in the past).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"In a blow to the safe haven currency"

A blow in quite what sense??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2011/09/15/rogue-trader-loses-ubs-2-billion.aspx

"......(Market whispers suggest that the loss at UBS might well have been caused by a highly leveraged currency trade going the wrong way.
If these rumours are right, then the chances are that such a trade might have involved the Swiss Franc, which abruptly reversed its upward trend
in early August.)....."

The Swiss Government will not be happy after bailing out UBS in 2008. How is it possible to get this overexposed?

I guess I have my answer as to who was causing the currency to move so much........

Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nixmap, James the Last, under a new name, WE may get some relief, but in the words of one of the Boston boutique bank partners...Always sell sterling as it's in the middle of a 250 year down trend! (the firm was 125 old, so liked to emphasise its heritage Laughing )
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Swiss talking about making UBS split its overseas investment businesses

if it wasn't for the exchange rate issues I'd say come to Switzerland..things are well cheap here at the present COOPs even doing BOGOF offers which I've never seen here before.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
plus the UBS loss was only profit...unlike UK banks that managed to wang capital.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just found 8 SwFr in coins in my garage, am I rich? Well at least it should buy a beer in Geneva in November

I've about 80 in notes tucked away too, I'm going to need it, got all day to kill there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bigtipper wrote:
Potatoes have about a 10 times turnover yield, approximately depending on the variety and the weather. Interestingly potatoes prefer rain to lots of dry sunny days, so is more suited to places like Ireland and Scotland than Italy. Of course provided you irrigate the land well, you should have no problem but that has an extra cost.

For each potato you plant you will get back 10 times that amount. So if you put £1 worth of potatoes bought as seed or from supermarket, you will get 10 x that back.

Potatoes prefer acidic soil. There is actually an AIM company listed (PIL: Greenvale potatoes) which grows potatoes in the UK. If it were not for its extremely abnormally large final salary pension scheme deficit, it would be a useful addition to any portfolio.

rolling eyes

It's interesting when people start discussing something I actually know more about than them.

1) Potatoes have a 20 fold yield appreciation in the UK.
2) Seed potatoes are more expensive per kg than consumption potatoes.
3) If you plant potatoes bought in a supermarket the chances are they may have been treated with a sprout inhibitor, so won't grow anyway.
4) Potatoes are a sunshine crop, yes they are 82% water, but they have to photosynthesise.
5) Potatoes are an extremely inelastic commodity. Prices are currently less than half what they were this time last year.
6) Greenvale have another problem, with this ongoing issue - http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3559475.ece - Sainsbury are one of their biggest customers. Of course it may well be resolved without affecting Greenvale adversely.

Wasn't that interesting?

Best to get all your cash and buy as many Swiss francs as you can.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy