Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Franc v Pound/Euro – will anyone visit Switzerland this year???

Poster: A snowHead
Just been speaking to a client moving to Aussie. When they started the process 2 yrs ago it was 2.25 to the £ - It is now 1.50 to the £. It is not just the Swiss Franc that is causing people trouble.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman, ..and they are still moving?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boredsurfin, yes.... must be deaperate to leave but there again; Middlesbrougth or Perth WA... not a difficult one is it Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, More convenient for Niseko Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With the current price inaction, lack of progress and effectively a good set of resistance points set for EUR/CHF any more short term progress is likely to be marginal: EU industrial production is once again turning sluggish and equity markets are basically saying may,be perhaps maybe they were oversold last week. Perhaps not.

The background to all the recent stuff was the US downgrade by Moodys and the D word: Default really isn't on the cards, not at least the pack I hold. The real concern and $64 question which hasn't really been addressed yet is; When the USA services its debt, what will the USD be worth? You may not be able to measure this in GBP or EUR, perhaps not JPY either: Think in terms of Commodities such as Oil, coal, Coffee, Wheat, Pork Bellies, Potatoes, Corn, Tobacco, Water, Gas. Then add in currencies such as Gold and CHF. One of the scarier details of the massive and rapid 25% sell off in equities was that this movement was accompanied by very large volumes shares. For most of this crisis since August/Sept 2007 most of these moves have occurred with thin volumes. The increase perhaps is not insignificant.

The riots in the UK last week were an horrific example or perhaps mild taster of how bad anarchy can be. The cause of the riots is still being debated and I’m not suggesting this should be a thread for SnowHeads. Much of the UK were polarised into two camps: those that want to understand the underlying issues, if they exist and fix them and the other side that just want things fixed with rioters shot on sight. Just one thought: These riots were not orchestrated or joined for life or death reasons – shops and homes were not raided by starving hordes in search of food: If they were, what would a CHF cost in pounds?

Germany after the war saw people carting wheelbarrows full of Reich marks that wouldn’t buy a loaf of bread: Things are better there now. They have BMW’s.

I met with a bank treasurer in Geneva in 1984/5 and he told us he was leaving, so wouldn’t be around next time we came. We asked where/what he was going to do and he basically said he really didn’t like the way the world was shaping up and he had bought a farm with its own water supply on the Italian border and he planned to grow potatoes. He figured whatever “money” was worth, potatoes would always have a “food” price which could be bartered/exchanged for whatever he needed. Maybe he was right.

sunnbuel, Have you bought your Swissy yet? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Potatoes have about a 10 times turnover yield, approximately depending on the variety and the weather. Interestingly potatoes prefer rain to lots of dry sunny days, so is more suited to places like Ireland and Scotland than Italy. Of course provided you irrigate the land well, you should have no problem but that has an extra cost.

For each potato you plant you will get back 10 times that amount. So if you put £1 worth of potatoes bought as seed or from supermarket, you will get 10 x that back.

Potatoes prefer acidic soil. There is actually an AIM company listed (PIL: Greenvale potatoes) which grows potatoes in the UK. If it were not for its extremely abnormally large final salary pension scheme deficit, it would be a useful addition to any portfolio.

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amazing the information (whether accurate or not, who knows?) that can emerge from a thread about the Swiss franc. As a matter of interest, Bigtipper, why do you almost invariably end your posts with an eye-rolling emoticon?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bigtipper, Fascinating information about the potential financial reward from potatoes. Smile
So in view of its pension scheme deficit, do you reckon that the company you refer to has had its chips? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:

So in view of its pension scheme deficit, do you reckon that the company you refer to has had its chips? Toofy Grin

You could always read the Daily Mash to check. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jivebaby, not yet, although i was a bit tempted at 1.235, trouble is thats still pants. I'd thought about what you said and based on the extra 1000chf i want to top up by came to the following conclusions. Chf is unlikely to drop below 1.10 but might well hit 1.3 or 1.4 (about 200quid difference?) if i buy at 1.23 (today) its not that brill as its only worth about a 70 quid loss to me if rate drops and i have to buy at to 1.10. So might as well be optimistic and wait? i am definitely rambling Embarassed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bigtipper, Many thanks for the detailed agricultural economics:

Mr Potato grower wasn't worried about the monetary value of his spuds - his strategic move was all about security for his family. rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sunnbuel,
Quote:
i am definitely rambling Embarassed

Rambling of Gambling?
Puzzled snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jivebaby wrote:
sunnbuel,
Quote:
i am definitely rambling Embarassed

Rambling of Gambling?
Puzzled snowHead
both i think Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink wrote:
Bigtipper, Fascinating information about the potential financial reward from potatoes. Smile

I think if it merges with some other potato growing company that might save it! Some co-operative of potato growing companies might want to fund the large pension deficit, and the government will wave it through as not affecting competition in potatoes.

Laughing
snow report
Quote:

When they started the process 2 yrs ago it was 2.25 to the £ - It is now 1.50 to the £

Frosty the Snowman, the whole point of this thread is the horrific exchange rate.

We could only dream of 1.50 to the pound!

It dropped to 1.11 Swiss Francs to the pound last week Shocked but has since "rocketed" to 1.20!
snow conditions
Bergmeister, I think you'll find he's talking about the drop in the rate of the Australian Dollar!
snow conditions
Quote:

I think you'll find he's talking about the drop in the rate of the Australian Dollar!

I must read things more thoroughly
I must read things more thoroughly Embarassed
snow report
nixmap, I stand corrected (for now)....things look less horrific (although still pretty awful)- I just hope the correction is sustained. Puzzled
latest report
Bigtipper, Friend of ours now retired had a spud farm oop North and his biggest worry each year was getting the b00gers out of the ground, each year at least one of his boys would get a tractor and picker stuck in the mud. Some years a huge % of his crop would simply rot in the ground.
ski holidays
Swiss currency rates is being discussed on Chris Evans on R2 this morning. As you would expect it's not in depth and very light hearted.
snow report
Chris Angus wrote:
I just hope the correction is sustained. Puzzled

no I want parity by Christmas
ski holidays
boredsurfin, you need good drainage where it rains a lot. NehNeh
latest report
Strong Swiss franc could bring recession
latest report
If anyone wants some thought provoking research regarding the problems and solutions, PM me with your email address and I'll forward the research which has the usual disclaimers etc on. snowHead
ski holidays
If you own in Switzerland, oh my god, now is the time to sell.
snow conditions
As I'm not holidaying in Switzerland I thought, who cares, then realised I'm travelling through Geneva in Nov! I need to hope that the are no delays at the swiss airport as the bar bill will be huge! rolling eyes
snow report
GVA is also a train station and at the far end of the station there is a Migros supermarket which never, ever closes. I understand it's the only shop in CH that stays open permanently. It sells sarnies, beer etc more or less all the essentials Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jivebaby, that's useful info...but I thought Migros didn't sell alchohol?
snow report
they don't, I think there are other shops at station level that do though
snow report
Pedantica,Colin B Puzzled I stand corrected although I could have sworn I saw beer in there rolling eyes although on second thoughts, my recce was for essentials, but as I already have beer which is of course essential, it wouldn't have been on my list! Sorry Embarassed

ski holidays
bar shaker, in many ways I agree....but my wife and kids have banned that topic (I have parity as a SELL point whatever they say!)
snow report
Having thought about it a bit more, and comparing it to the Japanese currency, the conclusion I come to is that the money which is moving to Switzerland is

a) Swiss money overseas which is being transferred back to Switzerland
b) Bankers trying to find a place to hide their stash before the banks around the world collapse
c) Swiss companies trying to minimise capital assets overseas

When the equity risk premium rises as it is doing currently, you end up with a Japanese or Greek style economy. Both have extremely high levels of government debt, yet one has low government bond yields and the other high.

One government solves the problem by cutting expenses, the other by spending and borrowing more. Which is better, a perpetual deflating economy, or being unable to borrow at all?

If the western economies stop to think for a minute, they have to deflate whilst the emerging economies grow. It is natural for this to occur, and unnatural to assume we can all grow at the rates which have been achieved in the past. When the emerging economies have equalised per capita GDP, either by their growth or by the deflation of western developed economies, then there will be a level playing field.

Until then your government can choose between following Japan, or Greece!

Which is better?

Puzzled
ski holidays
China and the US debt addiction
ski holidays
^ China is overloading on debt, too.

They have just hidden it better. So far.
snow report
Bigtipper wrote:
Having thought about it a bit more, and comparing it to the Japanese currency, the conclusion I come to is that the money which is moving to Switzerland is

a) Swiss money overseas which is being transferred back to Switzerland
b) Bankers trying to find a place to hide their stash before the banks around the world collapse
c) Swiss companies trying to minimise capital assets overseas

The Swiss Franc is rising because of a neverending wave of speculative cash that washes around from one sector to another every few years.

A while back, oil was hot. Now, the Franc is hot. Eventually, something different will be hot.

The herd rules.
snow report
We were in Davos and Klosters last new year, very few Brits around. Also thin on the ground were German, Dutch etc.
Plenty of Russians in evidence, but they were mostly there for the Ice Hockey.
So its all Euro zone people feeling the pinch against the Chf.

I believe the Chancellor was also in the vicinity, but I guess he must have been eating in McDonalds as we saw no sign of him!!!
latest report
Reuters article "FOREX-Swiss franc jumps, govt will 'live with' strength" 31 Aug 2011 - 17:53
* Swiss franc climbs, government accepts strength the scaling back of currency intervention speculation
pushed the euro down 2.3 percent to 1.1572 francs *

The Greek question will re-emerge as the critical vote nears at the end of September so perhaps look for a range of 1.10 to 1.20 with more danger on the down-side: Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Franc jumps to 1.365 against £ as Swiss National Bank promises unlimited intervention to maintain CHF:€ at 1.20.
ski holidays
Swiss national Bank has intervened today.. put in a ccy peg ag the euro at 1.2..
oh dear will they never learn
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy