Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Franc v Pound/Euro – will anyone visit Switzerland this year???

Poster: A snowHead
Obviously a slightly tongue in cheek title but the swissie is so very strong at the moment - if it remains at this level it must significantly impact tourism?

I guess on the positive side, the slopes will be relatively quiet this winter? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not even the Swiss, as it will be so cheap fot them to go elsewhere.

Bernie Ecclestone may still be able to afford to go though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly, I don't think I shall be going to Wengen this year, or maybe ever - since I can't imagine the £ rising against the ChF in my skiing lifetime. It may be time to cancel my DHO membership.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My first visit to Switzerland was on a school trip (not a ski trip) in, I think, 1972. Over 10 Swiss francs to the £ at the time. Difficult to imagine that now.

I remember distinctly because we were allowed £1 a day spending money ,which translated into 10 fancs a day for the first 9 days, but were given 20 francs on the tenth (and final) day.

The trip was to a school hostel type place somewhere between Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen. Amazingly while on the train to Lauterbrunnen this year I spoted the hostel.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The prices in Verbier last year were so shocking I swore not to go again for a very long time. There are so many other places so why waste all that spending-power changing money.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
5% drop in visitors to ski resorts in CH last season, largely put down to the CHF. Things are probably going to get worse for Sterling.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
3 years ago (2008) I did a season in Switzerland. At that point it was still 2.5 CHF to £1 - which represented genuinely good value. Before the downturn petrol / beer / accommodation / lift pass & food were all cheaper than UK. Now its 1.3 CHF to £1, so in effect prices have doubled in the last 3 years.

Without doubt the Swiss are very aware that such an unfavorable exchange rate damages their important tourist industry. However the £ and Euro are so weak, due to economic uncertainty, that there is very little they can do. Plus other areas of the Swiss economy will benefit from the franc being strong..

Might put any daydreams of starting a small ski company in CH on the back-burner for now Wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 29-06-11 12:18; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Read this thread and agreed probably would give Switzerland a miss - then remembered we have booked to go rolling eyes - but to Champéry so not far from the French border. Anyway, don't spend much on ski holidays while there (too busy skiing) so not a problem and our deal is all in. Would be put off doing a DIY trip though - did 4 Valleys a few years ago when it was 1.80 and that wasn't cheap.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Since I was last in Switzerland (December 2005), the price of the youth hostel in Zermatt has not increased in CHF much. It was a fairly good deal for me to stay there for 5 nights. 6 years on, the price has more than doubled in £'s, and it no longer makes any sense to stay there. It would make more sense to stay in Cervinia and ski over the border than to go to Zermatt.

The CHF is in a bubble at the moment. It is overpriced, because money is flowing in, not to buy products, but to buy banking services and assets. At some stage in the future this may be reversed, as the money flows out. However, most people expect the bubble to get bigger and for parity against at least the Euro to be achieved (if not the pound as well).

The same thing is happening with gold.

I will probably not be paying to ski in Switzerland any time soon!

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
1556garyt, Holy Moly, definitely NOT Zermatt next year then

As this chart shows
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm going to Cervinia so hopefully I'll be able to ski over to Zermatt. Won't be spending any money there though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Getting Married there this Summer and the diffrence in the last 12 months alone has had an impact! Dreading the bar bill at the end of the weekend Skullie Skullie
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love skiing in Switzerland but doubt very much I will be returning in the near future, eally enjoyed this year in Nendaz but just so much more expensive than the last time we went.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a long weekend ski trip in February, 2 days in France (Thollon & Morzine) and a day trip Verbier.
Spent more money during the 1 day in Verbier than 2 days in France Shocked
also, IMO Verbier is full of rich knobs and to be avoided.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skied in Zermatt in 2008 & 9 and Laax in 2010. Last year, although I didn't ski there, I spent a couple of days there in transit. Now far too expensive, not skiing there or passing through next year (apart from a few hours in the bar at GVA). Although I really like the country I won't be returning unless exchange rates change.
snow report
Andermatt 2010, Zermatt 2011.................Milton Keynes 2012?
snow conditions
on the bright side, if TO bookings are down as predicted then there may well be lots of last minute cheapo package deals, the cash you save there might just pay for the incresed cost of lift pass and spends, total spend approx the same?
ski holidays
The company I work for is an interesting case in point. The exchange rate is hammering us but at the same time we are French owned so although turnover is down 20% the French are happy because profits, while they are down, are actually up from a EUR point of view.

In 4 years I've gone from lowly paid grunt, well to highly paid grunt.
latest report
Laax in Feb half term this year was very quiet. Fantastic with no queues. Have booked again for next year, exchange rate is rubbish, but its worth the extra cash for quieter slopes!!! I go self catering to keep the costs down though. Might have to take sandwiches up the mountain on the next trip. £25 for some pork chops and vegetables for lunch was a bit much.
latest report
I Know Geneva airport is notoriusly expensive, was ther a couple of weeks ago and was unable to buy anything for £2.50!
ski holidays
I am working in Switzerland at the moment, based in Geneva and Fribourg. Some of the prices make your toes curl. (3 coffees and 2 teas in Geneva airport last week £34, dinner in Fribourg last night for 3, nothing fancy, 1 glass of wine each £180), the smallest club sandwich I have ever seen and a beer in the hotel last week £36!!! don't start me on Taxi's (I timed the cab this morning to 6 minutes dead and it was 18chf, probably not even 2 miles (before you say anything I had my luggage, it has been hot and humid this week and cant turn up to client site looking a total mess), its 7chf before you even close the cab door.

I am glad I'm not paying the bills.
snow conditions
Was in Zurich last week for a 3 day weekend visiting friends and burnt through £300 without even trying. No accomodation costs and thankfully it was a sport based not drinking weekend.

The flight was £160 with Swiss Air which was the only reasonably priced thing about the entire weekend.
snow report
Quote:

vegetables for lunch

Might have to grow them first at this rate though..

Still 1.35 on Moneycorp this afternoon but for most tourists its 1.12CHF to £1 at airports etc. I can't see the Swiss even staying at home for holidays as they must feel pretty wealthy just next door in the Eurozone
latest report
lenniem, oh crap, we are holidaying in fribourg and lotchental in july - fortunately self catering this year - shall i stock up in Aldi before crossing border? Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
The current rate makes a pizza at my usual pre-departure place at Geneva airport (ie above the adjacent railway station) about £17 or £18 Shocked..... £50 for a couple of pizzas & drinks? I think not!.....Looks like it'll be McDonalds at Annecy on the way back from now on wink.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
The current rate makes a pizza at my usual pre-departure place at Geneva airport (ie above the adjacent railway station) about £17 or £18 Shocked..... £50 for a couple of pizzas & drinks? I think not!.....Looks like it'll be McDonalds at Annecy on the way back from now on wink.

Get a chicken curry sandwich at the airport Migros for 3.30CHF, they are very good.
ski holidays
Frosty wrote:
I can't see the Swiss even staying at home for holidays as they must feel pretty wealthy just next door in the Eurozone

The shops on the French side of the border have never been so busy, meanwhile on the Swiss side it is depression city.
ski holidays
Maybe the question should be "Can anyone afford to leave the UK again for a few days ?"

There is no doubt that the CHF has appreciated but so has the Euro and the USD ( against the British Pound) .... imo a fool's paradise that our politicians (of all flavours) love as it appears as if they are 'in control' but we no longer have the self-dependency that we once enjoyed. Given that financial markets are international and our financial systems and governments will lend to any basket case who asks ( would you lend to Greece?) then I fear that ugly word 'inflation' is going to give us a right kicking in the next couple of years. Then we will sympathise with the Swiss but have no escape of our own .. I hope I'm wrong.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How the Euro has fared against the Swiss Franc over the last 12 months
latest report
Agenterre wrote:
I hope I'm wrong.

Well tough luck, 'cos you're not. Confused
snow report
Comment on Radio 4 this morning suggested that the Chinese, and other nations such as South Korea, were getting concerned about the US Dollar, and therefore transferring money into Euros, hence the strong performance of the €, despite problems such as Greece. If the Chinese are taking that view, maybe the Eurozone will be able to cope with Greece after all.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:

Spent £49 in Burger King when the snow caused all the hold ups, 2 adults and 2 kids meals, bargain.
latest report
Quote:

mountainaddict wrote:
The current rate makes a pizza at my usual pre-departure place at Geneva airport (ie above the adjacent railway station) about £17 or £18 ..... £50 for a couple of pizzas & drinks? I think not!.....Looks like it'll be McDonalds at Annecy on the way back from now on .

Spent £49 in Burger King when the snow caused all the hold ups, 2 adults and 2 kids meals, bargain.

Pushing CHF for a Large BigMac Meal in Zurich airport Shocked
ski holidays
Fattes13, Im glad I paid with a credit card in BK at Zurich airport and avoided one of those lack of cash moments. had to check the card statement to believe what I had been charged. Dont think Macs are cheap in France either but at least the burgers are twice the size as in the UK.
snow conditions
Not a great time to be going to Switzerland on uni placement..

Migros at the train station at Geneva Airport has bottles of coke at CHF1.10 compared to the CHF4.50 100 yards up into the airport!
latest report
Where is Brian? Right-wing capitalist has made a paper fortune in last 24 months !! wink

Mind you poor Nixthingummyjig still can not afford to pay for his servants so something not quite right wink
latest report
There was an item in the Lex column on the back of the FT about how the strength of the Swiss Franc is causing problems for Swiss industry. It seems that the Swiss franc is one of the few currencies that is seen as a safe haven and that is driving the exchange rate up.
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:

Well I am not an expert but IMHO eventually one of 3 things will happen.
1 Switzerland will descend into a deflationary spiral and prices will go down as the one of the worlds most stable economy goes haywire.
2 Britain's government will recover its PSBR, by making unpopular decisions, and hard work from the population, the UK economic credibility will be restored, and the pound will rise
3 Britain's government refuses to make unpopular decsions, and wages wll go up, to compensate for the higher priced from overseas, and you will all be able to afford Mcd in Switzerland, Only the people who have money would be affected. (which is why they are putting it in Switzerland)

You can take your pick, personally i think option 3 is aleady priced in by investors, you just have not had the pay rises yet

Historically speaking, the CHF when I first came here it was 1 GPB = 17.00 CHF so clearly this wouldn be the first time!

Guess its a chance to use occams razor
ski holidays
richjp, the federal govt is suggesting that we shop abroad.

Part of the problem as I hear it is that the Franc is a small currency and so more easily moved by market sentiment.

nixmap, I'd suggest scenario (2) is more likely in the long run.
snow report
I think you're right, nixmap. Option 3 is priced in and we're awaiting our pay rises... Try buying claret in the UK and weep. Even sherry - unfashionable and from bombed out Spain is painfully expensive - £9 for what was £5.50 three years ago.

A one third devaluation of sterling has brought in some quite serious inflation (albeit the Government insists that we're only suffering 3-4-5%) in the UK, and salaries are going to have to rise significantly.

More interesting is what will happen to the Euro. Booting Greece and friends out doesn't help as their foreign debt is already denominated in Euros. I like the suggestion that Germany and the northern states should leave the euro creating their new "northern Mark". The (Mediterranean) Euro would then depreciate to abuot USD0.63 (according to HSBC) making our summer holidays and our wine and olive oil cheap like they used to be - and the Mark would rise to USD 1.83. Which way would France jump? If it were to go North, then it would mean no more claret or champagne drinking for me. (As the UK is (was?) the largest drinker of champagne worldwide that might be a problem for the Champagnois.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy