Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest Summer SKi?

Poster: A snowHead
May go for a long weekend somewhere for a summer ski. Never done it before. Where offers the best conditions and the largest summer ski area in Europe??? Also how much will it be, needs to be as cheap as possible??? I will be going Friday 22nd July - Sunday 24th July if i can pull it off!!! If not its a long weekend in Scotland at the Parent in laws house rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, I think Les Deux Alpes is the largest area. If you want to do it cheap check out Mountainsun's prices in Tignes for that weekend. The beauty of their deal is that the price includes half board, transfers, skis and lift pass. You just have to get a flight. I did 3 days with them last October for about £200 each I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Although thinking about it that was their Autumn deal, worth checking though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Colin B, just been on their website and i cant see anything about summer skiing or deals rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder, look at Hintertux and Stubaital - they should be open all summer. They are considerably larger in area than LDA! Also try Sölden as they have 2 glaciers and I know some people race training there in the summer
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, Get in touch with Joanne at Mountainsun (she's a regular on here) she'll let you know what they have.

You could look at L2A, flying into Lyon, you can transfer using buses. Accommodation is quite cheap there in the summer, I'm going for a few days and have paid about 200 euros I think for an apartment which would sleep 5 for 4 nights.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, if you're looking for Mountain Sun's summer programme look here.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
L2A markets itself as the largest skiable glacier in Europe, but then that is marketing!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ricklovesthepowder, I'd normally always say Hintertux but on that particular weekend you might fancy getting yourself to Saas Fee because the Saas Fee Ride is on (http://www.saasfeeride.com/) and there should be a good deal more life that other glaciers at that time. Only prob is that it is Switzerland and the average coffee with a water on the side is £456 (OK, I exaggerate but that's the way the exchange rate is taking us). So, if it has to be "cheapest" and assuming you want the best conditions, then I'd vote for a B&B near Hintertux... www.tux.at has all the accommodations and a map of where they are.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B wrote:
L2A markets itself as the largest skiable flattest glacier in Europe, but then that is marketing!
fixed it for them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, according to Easiski's blog the glacier may not be open until its planned closure date at the end of July. Lots of the glacier areas close for skiing in July until the middle of September.

As for the marketing - who knows, it is such a niche that just about all of them claim one unique aspect or another. My gut feeling just from the lift and runs on offer is that Stubai is probably one of the biggest areas and the two glaciers at Sölden provide enough area between them to offer the World Cup opening races, room for training and plenty left over for lesser mortals Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

according to Easiski's blog the glacier may not be open until its planned closure date at the end of July

Samerberg Sue, The planning closing date for LDA is 28th august, and they will be open untill that date, alot better last year,,, but,,, and if U read Easiskis blog you will find out,,,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

the glacier may not be open until its planned closure date

Puzzled

Not open until it closes? Puzzled

Am I missing something obvious?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I shall be in L2A from 30th July for 4 nights but tbh I'm not sure whether I'll bother skiing at all. I'm in Ste Maxime the week before and I really don't know whether it will be worth dragging all our ski gear around France for a morning of what could be marginal conditions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bergmeister, it makes sense to me. It may close earlier than planned.
snow report
Quote:

the glacier may not be open until its planned closure date
Toofy Grin Must admit, on first reading this I thought that Stanley Unwin must be a snowHead!! It is somewhat ambiguous....
snow report
mountainaddict, Bergmeister, picky picky! Embarassed

Sorry I think in German most of the time and am getting rusty in English when I'm tired. What are your excuses? Laughing

The Fowler's Modern English Usage version would be: "the glacier may not be able to remain open until its currently planned closure date".

freeheelskier, Easiski posted on her blog that she had spotted streams already appearing and postulated that the closure date maybe a wee bit optimistic. She is on the spot I believe as it says she was skiing at the weekend.
latest report
We can do you a three day trip that weekend including transfers, 3 nights catered accommodation, a day glacier skiing with lift pass and use of equipment, white water rafting, use of mountain bikes, a sport Tignes card, a via ferrata climb or accompanied walk) from £179 per person. Seriously - it's a bargain! See our adrenaline package here : www.summeractivityholidays.com/adrenalinPackage.php

(swap your rafting for extra skiing if you like!!).

contact me for further info : joanne.mountainsunltd@talktalk.net
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder Also meant to say....while all of the summer ski glaciers publicity photos show glistening white slopes, deep snow and bikini-clad babes, glacier skiing from late July onwards can often be somewhat different..... We've skied Tignes between early July and late August over the past 4 summers.

Best conditions have been in early to mid July, with a gradual deterioration after that. In late July/early August we've encountered:
- Very limited runs
- Meltwater rivers running on some pistes
- Bare runs with glacial ice and rock peeping through
- Grey-looking slopes that resembled a quarry
- Crevasses (very small Skullie) opening across the pistes

Just with you not having been summer skiing before, you should be advised that by the end of July it will not probably not be anything like winter (or even spring) skiing. Having said that, we always still enjoy ourselves - it's just fantastic to ski (anything!) in mid-summer! I've posted some pics below that illustrate the sort of thing you might encounter - first three from mid July (2007) and the rest from the first week in August (2009). Even on the ones where the glacier looks completely bare, there was still some decent skiing to be found - as the last photo shows. We'll be there from 21st July and will be skiing whatever is available Very Happy - streams....crevasses....bring em on - it's all a thousand times better than an indoor fridge!

snow report
mountainaddict, Christ that pic 3rd from the end is horrible!!! Why does it go like that, all the snow scrubbed off and turned to solid ice? Looks like a nearly volcano has exploded and covered everywhere in ash!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:

Sorry I think in German most of the time and am getting rusty in English when I'm tired. What are your excuses?
Absolutely no excuses, just a straightforward explanation - ie that I think and write in English all of the time and am a pedantic b@$tard Toofy Grin ! Must say, hats off to you though - I can get by in Deutsch but can only dream of the day I think in it!
snow report
Quote:

Just with you not having been summer skiing before, you should be advised that by the end of July it will not probably not be anything like winter (or even spring) skiing

Hmm, last year. Aug 20. 35 cm of fresh snow. -17 degrees. Snowing in Val Claret. It was very wintry indeed !
latest report
ski, I've skied in powder during August in Tignes before too! you just never know! snowHead
snow report
Quote:

I've skied in powder during August in Tignes before
I don't doubt it but on more than 20 June to September glacier trips across the Alps since 1990 I am yet to ski fresh snow Sad - though I have done so on May and October visits.

Was (as ever) only trying to help by suggesting to a summer skiing newby that skiing in midsummer is unlikely (in my experience) to be just like skiing in midwinter.

Anyway, here's to some powder in the last week of July Very Happy !!
ski holidays
mountainaddict, Cheers for your help and info. Found a bargain deal in october so thinking of heading to tignes as a group of 3.'I think in late October there is more of a chance of fresh snow falling on the tignes glacier than mid July!!!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, Late October is half term - avoid at all costs!
latest report
Cheapest Summer Skiing?

http://youtube.com/v/pQKO-8SEOxg

Only cost a hot chocolate and a bowl of soup in the Restaurant. Uplift was a tad primitive though! snowHead Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar, Yes in Britain it is. But Brits don't go skiing in October surely? It would be tuesday October 18th for 3 nights.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-06-11 16:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, Oct half term will be full of Race Clubs and teams training on the glacier, very busy Shocked But 8th oct should be fine.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, as ski said, half-term week is very busy and best avoided if you can. Early October should be fine - I was there the first week of October last year and we had the place pretty much to ourselves. Will be there 14-20 October this year for a couple of InsideOut courses and hoping we have the same excellent conditions that we had last year.
snow report
Have done Hintertux a number of times at October half term - other than early-rising race teams, nobody there.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, there will be a lot of national race teams there acclimatising for the opening World Cup race (Ladies and Men's GS) on the Rettenbach Glacier in Sölden at the end of October (always the 3rd weekend). This year it is the weekend of 22nd - 23 rd October. They cannot train at Sölden prior to the race weekend and Hintertux has a similar height and steep layout they can use.

As the others say, other than the race teams, very few people there and the racers have reserved areas fence off for them to let rip in Toofy Grin
ski holidays
So is it worth me going to Tignes on the 18th October for 3 nights or not??? Not sure what to do now!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

So is it worth me going to Tignes on the 18th October for 3 nights or not??? Not sure what to do now!

Yes ! UK in October or on a glacier ? Surely no contest ? Just watch out for all the rugrats getting on the train wink
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder, if you read my blog entry that I linked to it gives you a good idea of you could expect at that time of year. I think it's well worth giving pre-season skiing a try, although don't expect it to be exactly the same as main season skiing.

And you can avoid the rugrats by getting on the 2nd or 3rd train up the hill rather than the first one which can be a bit of a zoo.
ski holidays
Quote:

Hmm, last year. Aug 20. 35 cm of fresh snow. -17 degrees. Snowing in Val Claret. It was very wintry indeed !
There must be some mistake re. that date Puzzled The following pics were taken on that very day - 20.8.10. Decent enough conditions for late August - but no fresh snow....

latest report
Quote:

IMHO it's worth going to Tignes for 3 nights at any time of the year! Very Happy

We have skiied there for 3 days in mid August for the last 3 years and have never failed to have a great time. We had powder (albeit 3cm...) last year!

On other occasions however we have encountered the (quarry-like) conditions seen on Mountainaddict's piccies above. On arrival we were therefore horrified at the sight - but decided to make the effort and ski for an hour then pack in. However, despite our first impressions we had a great time and managed to put 3 days in from 7.30am until 1pm. As Mountainaddict says, skiing conditions were actually much better underfoot than they appeared from a distance! wink

If you have not skiied outside of the winter before you should most definitely give it a go!
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
rob@rar, Yes in Britain it is. But Brits don't go skiing in October surely? It would be tuesday October 18th for 3 nights.

1. Yes, they do.

2. Ski European glaciers in July, not October. Better weather.

3. The European Alpine glaciers are melting at an astonishing rate. There is only one year-round skiable glacier open on planet Earth (Zermatt). The green-white contrast of the Summer scenery is impressive. See the last of the Ice Age before they wash away.

4. Go to Hintertux or Tignes.

5. Stick the trip on a creditcard. Figure out how to pay later.

6. Post photos on here after trip.
latest report
Winterhighland, good stuff! snowHead snowHead Look forward to seeing July's video Very Happy
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

2. Ski European glaciers in July, not October. Better weather.
We had good skiing conditions this June, but better skiing conditions last October. In October the weather is likely to be colder so the snow doesn't get too soft to ski in the afternoon. With summer skiing you either need to be up at 6am for an early start or be happy to ski for 3 hours a day and do something else in the afternoon. In the autumn you get more on-snow time.

Quote:
3. The European Alpine glaciers are melting at an astonishing rate. There is only one year-round skiable glacier open on planet Earth (Zermatt).
Hintertux is open all year round.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy