Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free Accomodation, Free skiing, for the 2012 Season -Swiss Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

In a tightly knit like minded community forum such as snowheads no one makes friends?
I think you do our forum a great disservice.

"Our forum"? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

A disservice on the lines of the following, perhaps?

Quote:

Its just the usual deliberate diversions that this thread has traditionally attracted, designed to spread fear and or uncertainty, for reasons best known to the authors.

It is just the nature of snowheads
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing yes, I like the 'our forum' Toofy Grin

There is at least one expert who knows about such things who has commented on this thread that such an arrangement is breaking the law. Whilst this may be fine whilst all is hunkydory and no-one in authority knows, it could cause a lot of problems for the employee. Any potential employee should go into the situation with their eyes open and aware of potential pitfalls.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, "Our forum" .

What is peculiar about that?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
A disservice on the lines of the following, perhaps?

Quote:

Its just the usual deliberate diversions that this thread has traditionally attracted, designed to spread fear and or uncertainty, for reasons best known to the authors.

It is just the nature of snowheads

Its an observation, about the nature or the snowheads forum which is not exclusive to this thread, you are entiled to disagree with the premise of course.
To me the observation is self evident, so no I dont think it is a disservice to say so.

To assert that you cant make genuine friends on snowheads, on the otherhand, is also (to me) evidently untrue and ergo is a disservice.

After all our forum is what we all make of it. Right?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 7-07-11 13:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nixmap, all things are possible - you may be as Pliny Book 5 Letter 19

Quote:
I notice how kindly you treat your servants, so I will be quite frank with you, and tell you with what indulgence I treat mine. I always bear in mind that phrase in Homer, "like a father mild," and our own Latin phrase, "father of his family."

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nixmap wrote:

Let's see,

- "Free lodging", but wait, must work (cleaning, cooking, childmining) to earn it.

- But pointing out the above is "designed to spread fear and or uncertainty"! rolling eyes

I recall something of similar nature in the past... Oh yes, there were those attractive Lehman Brother bonds that were such great deals. But people keep spreading fear and uncertainty about them I didn't buy any. What's a great opportunity that I missed.Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nixmap, unless you agree with the majority you will always be in the minority Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cathy wrote:
There is at least one expert who knows about such things who has commented on this thread that such an arrangement is breaking the law.
Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc wrote:
Oh yes, there were those attractive Lehman Brother bonds that were such great deals. But people keep spreading fear and uncertainty about them I didn't buy any. What's a great opportunity that I missed.Wink

Could say the same of citibank shares at $1.00, Some turn out good some bad.

you can see from previous posts that we had a good time together with our volunteers, but then again, this year might not be the same, a lot depends on the people involved.

Nix
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nixmap wrote:
abc wrote:
Oh yes, there were those attractive Lehman Brother bonds that were such great deals. But people keep spreading fear and uncertainty about them I didn't buy any. What's a great opportunity that I missed.Wink

Could say the same of citibank shares at $1.00, Some turn out good some bad.

Except you want people to NOT post any of such "fear and uncertainty" so YOUR offer is viewed always in a positive light, despite only "some" turn out good.

I bet the Lehman people wish that badly too!Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
- "Free lodging", but wait, must work (cleaning, cooking, childmining) to earn it.

Peoples definition of what constitutes a good balance between how many things you would prefer to do and how many things would prefer not to do, are different.
Im the first to agree that this isnt for everyone. At the same time I think theres a fair number of people that this appeals to given the right circumstances, and would end up having a great time.
So far thats proved a correct assumption. There is no reason to suspect this year is any different.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's not "free" if you have to EARN it.

It may still be good value (or not). That's what all the posts are about. But you consider those as "spreading fear and uncertainty".

So first you define what's free, orthogonal to what's conventional definition. Then anyone who disagree with you are "spreading fear and uncertainty". The emperor has no clothes.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
It's not "free" if you have to EARN it.

OK I understand what you mean, but i think it depends if your perspective is worker , community or captial based.

Lets try an example with a diferent value proposition which might help demostrate other perspectives.

You are ski touring in the mountains, and you spot a great field of powder.

You expend effort by walking up a mountain in order to ski down it.
did you get a benefit skiing the pow - yes
was the experience free so far i hope we all agree yes .

could you have paid money to do the same thing in a heli without the effort - yes

was it worth it? and which presents better value, well thats subjective but the heli certainly is not free.

If a nice guy came along on a skiddoo and offered to take it in turns to drive each other up to the top and take turns skiing down.
Is there effort involved -yes
Are you expending more effort on some ones elses behalf. -yes
Are you suddenly employed by that person - NO!
Do both people gain YES!
Was it free? I say yes!
What happens if you agree to meet tomorrow and do it again?
Do you need to sign a contract?

wonder what the wiki lawyers say?

Sharing and helping each other out is illegal?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aah, nix...so nearly good at spinning things properly Twisted Evil

The skidoo analogy is nice, and I think most people would agree that at the end of day 1 everyone's a winner and you clearly haven't been "employed" by the skidoo owner. But it's not really a fair analogy, is it? When the chosen couple come along to your chalet for the winter and do the housework for you...how much housework are you doing for them?

Quote:

Sharing and helping each other out is illegal?

Does your agreement involve the sharing of work, or does it involve them doing the work for you in return for a benefit (free accommodation)? I think what you're proposing is a (semi-)formal agreement between two parties; one has an asset (capital, whatever) and provides this as a benefit to the other in return for services rendered. Free accommodation in return for chores, cash in return for a day's work...you can describe it how you like, but it's still called a job.

I really thought people wouldn't bother this year, but I'm kind of pleased they did...over the quiet months I tend to forget why I ever objected to nixmap's posts. Then I remember it was never the proposal, but the plain refusal to admit to what it was. Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nixmap, genuine question: will potential applicants be able to speak/contact previous incumbents?

I don't mind the OP or the nature of the offer .... but personally I'd want some reassurance on what life would actually be like.
snow report
nixmap, you have already received a clear answer to your question from spud9
Quote:

The posts constitute an employment; remuneration being free accommodation/food(?) and lift pass. Simply stating that it is not a job does not make it so. Similarly, the fact that no money changes hands does not prevent it being an employment.

If the job was within the UK nixmap would almost ceretainly fall foul of the minimum wage legislation.

I've no knowledge of the Swiss laws the nixmap is breaking with his scheme, but I would guess it would include tax laws, laws relating to the employment of non Swiss nationals and child care rules.
Your entirely muddled example bears no relation whatsoever to the arrangements which you propose for your chalet.
snow conditions
ChrisWo,
Quote:

why I ever objected to nixmap's posts. Then I remember it was never the proposal, but the plain refusal to admit to what it was.
Spot on. I've always been quite tempted by the proposal itself, though I would have some pause for thought about the possibility I was aiding and abetting an evasion of Swiss taxes.
ski holidays
abj wrote:
nixmap, genuine question: will potential applicants be able to speak/contact previous incumbents?

I don't mind the OP or the nature of the offer .... but personally I'd want some reassurance on what life would actually be like.

This happened last year, and probably already happening on TGR.
snow conditions
This year's Nix TGR thread. Because I am not cynical I think that the expressions of interest are not from sock puppets.

Here's the first 2009 TGR thread on it
Quote:
Hmm... do you allow/partake in freaky swinger skier sex parties a la Hot Dog?

If so, I might have a "friend" that's interested. He speaks British, is highly educatered, skis like he means it, and is no slouch when it comes to the wimmin.

I, I mean he, is a good chef as well.

If you prefer a couple, well, that can be arranged.

As for the kidlets, I guess they gotta learn this stuff sometime, right? Might as well be in the comfort of their own home with proper adult supervision and guidance.

Don't think that was from a sock puppet.

Here's the 2010 one
Quote:
Could you post up some naked pictures of your wife?
I'm giving this some thought, but am compelled to consider the opportunity quite thoroughly.

Now to be fair, that's genuine interest.

And here's the one for 2011
Quote:
unless you're unable to make more than min wage back home its a poo-poo deal, do the math. have him pay for food and provide a car so you can travel around during the week, then it might make sense..

Wot? Selective? Moi? Toofy Grin
snow report
achilles bored with life? Nothing else to do? I've found Facebook quite an eye-opener - and a lot of snowheads are chatting on that. Mumsnet might be another outlet for your frustration (they've shown themselves to be ethically pure, too, by pulling advertising from Sky) Very Happy
ski holidays
Get a room you two, the sexual tension is obvious Wink
latest report
rayscoops, a little bored this morning. I'm now semi-retired, to day is not a working day, and I am just pottering around the web at the moment. How about you? Personally, I find TGR more interesting than Mumsnet - but each to his own. Toofy Grin
latest report
nixmap wrote:
Occasionally we may have house guests, and school holidays mean we would stay for longer periods which is an extra work load, but not a disaster.

then

I should make clear that this is not a job or salaried postion.

So yes it is work, but no, it is not a job....
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:

If a nice guy came along on a skiddoo and offered to take it in turns to drive each other up to the top and take turns skiing down.

A nice guy will NOT be coming with a skidoo WITH skis! He would have only come with skis if he already had a buddy to take turn in driving.

However, if he trolls the snow field daily in the hope of finding a sucker to help drive him up, it's an enterprise.

They may not exchange money. But they're NOT "friends helping out each other".

And if he INSIST his new found "friend" to show up the next day, and the next day, and the next day etc., without fail, that's a CONTRACT!
latest report
Does anybody really care? If someone gets hooked up, good for them - did I miss the memo where we all became caped crusaders battling evil for the benefit of the Swiss Cantons?
snow report
Guvnor, I tend to agree with that. However, I suppose if there is any form of potential comeback on the person(s) taking up the offer, then one ought to accept the great and the good hereabouts will make sure they bring it everyone's attention plus ensure that Google picks it up too, thus widening the net.
ski holidays
Here's a post from a TGR thread

Quote:
Quote:
Don't let the negative stereotypes of this zoo disuade you -- there are plenty of respectable, responsible folks who post here. Take myself, as an example. I am a well educated person of -- ahhh -- accelerated maturity who would love to care for your palace and family under the conditions you offer. Trouble is, under the terms of my parole, I cannot be alone with your children.

Nonono.... it only matters if it's 'Merican children. British kids are A-OK.

At least that's what my PO told me.

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:
Guvnor, I tend to agree with that. However, I suppose if there is any form of potential comeback on the person(s) taking up the offer, then one ought to accept the great and the good hereabouts will make sure they bring it everyone's attention plus ensure that Google picks it up too, thus widening the net.

And you wonder why you dont get feedback?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've ceased worrying about the job-nonjob aspect of this employment contract, I do point out that if caught there will be serious consequences . . . What angers me is the sheer arrogance of the asshole in treating this community as stupid enough not to realise that a free lunch is a poisoned sausage. Nixmap, you have an ugly and predatory soul and since you use snowheads primarily as a resource for your self benefit it would go some way to ameliorate your marmite persona if you took your sausage elsewhere. phnone k'brds are shte.! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Guvnor wrote:
Does anybody really care? If someone gets hooked up, good for them - did I miss the memo where we all became caped crusaders battling evil for the benefit of the Swiss Cantons?

Spot on. It obviously works for both parties, so where or what is the problem?
snow conditions
Masque wrote:
I've ceased worrying about the job-nonjob aspect of this employment contract, I do point out that if caught there will be serious consequences . . . What angers me is the sheer arrogance of the asshole in treating this community as stupid enough not to realise that a free lunch is a poisoned sausage. Nixmap, you have an ugly and predatory soul and since you use snowheads primarily as a resource for your self benefit it would go some way to ameliorate your marmite persona if you took your sausage elsewhere. phnone k'brds are shte.! Evil or Very Mad

I'm sorry that some other experience you've had seems to have soured your opinion on informal mutually beneficial arrangements. Nevertheless a huge number of people exchange each other favours every day and just get on with their lives, without need of lawyers, nanny state, or any other sticky beaks.

Of course it doesn't always go right, and every decision you take comes with attached risk, and as long as you are polite, it doesn't worry me that you highlight it from your own unfortunate perspective.

That being said, despite my genuine sympathy for the afflicted, I don't always take heed to never cross a road from a traffic accident victim.

Information has always been available to genunine applicants to allow them to make their own assessments either publicly or privately.
snow report
Could I volunteer rayscoops and leedsunited - they both need to get out more and since they don't believe in freebies I'm sure they would feel duty bound to give you full value in return for the free accommodation.
They even read a very novel version of the Three Billy Goats Gruff as a bedtime story - which I'm sure would entertain the kids.

Just make sure that you don't have any teachers in the family and ensure there is no internet connection.
snow conditions
I would love to be an volunteer just to have an oppotunity to live and ski for free at such a beautifull place.
I am very passionate by ski and mountains!
I am female, 30 years old, sporty and frendly, and i just love active way of living...
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
nixmap, you have already received a clear answer to your question from spud9
Quote:

The posts constitute an employment; remuneration being free accommodation/food(?) and lift pass. Simply stating that it is not a job does not make it so. Similarly, the fact that no money changes hands does not prevent it being an employment.

If the job was within the UK nixmap would almost ceretainly fall foul of the minimum wage legislation.

I've no knowledge of the Swiss laws the nixmap is breaking with his scheme, but I would guess it would include tax laws, laws relating to the employment of non Swiss nationals and child care rules.
Your entirely muddled example bears no relation whatsoever to the arrangements which you propose for your chalet.

Have no knowledge of the backstory of this (apparently perennial) offer, and kind of feel like I shouldn't be bringing this thread back to life...

But that thing about minimum wage is not correct - the big TOs pay hugely less than minimum wage and many of them are regulated by UK law. They get around it by saying that the benefits package (accom/food/ski hire/lift pass) counts.
ski holidays
nixmap, I like the way you keep coming back to here to take the grief you get from the same old daily mail readers here.

Good Luck Smile
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader, 'scuse me, I don't read the Daily Mail! But I wish him luck too - wouldn't have minded the job myself!
ski holidays
I'm puzzled why so many are paranoid about the risk. The nixmap, offer seems pretty fair and as he's indicated he will answer any genuine questions openly or privately as required. The worst that can happen is you take the "job", don't like it and leave. The risk as far as I can see is largely with nixmap, who has to trust his judgement and hope the appointee is honest and up to scratch. The upside for the successful applicant is they could have a ski season of a life-time, more or less expenses paid in accommodation beyond their dreams and means. I'd consider it for fun myself if I didn't have other things and people in my life. Shocked I think it's a real shame that the naysayers and abominable-no-men don't have more important things to whinge about. Embarassed
ski holidays
TBH I can't imagine spending a season in Meringen/Hasliberg, was pleasant enough for a weekend with some relatively weak skiers but for a season would be dull as anything. Low, south facing and with no genuine steep terrain I would never recommend it for a season for anyone.

nixmap, I find it very odd that you don't say what resort it is in your opening post
ski holidays
rambotion, Nixmaps is KGB, so cannot tell you.

Also he has not posted on this topic for months.
snow report
Jivebaby wrote:
The nixmap offer

Sounds like a Robert Ludlum book!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy