Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Free Accomodation, Free skiing, for the 2012 Season -Swiss Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Audi put the A in back bottom hole.

Good luck nicknack , I hope you get what you want.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pedantica wrote:
Please permit me to indulge my newly-minted identity: the expression is ad nauseam. Thank you so much. Toofy Grin

Pedantica, good point well made. Clearly the dative needed, but surely warrants the conclusion, "and beyond!"
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wigan wrote:
Me neither.

So more importantly who is/was Pedantica,?
And while we're at it I've not figured out Alans deep bath, yet either.

You really do need to keep up. Pedantica is xx and Alan's Deep Bath is Scotia. You're welcome wink wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 26-06-11 22:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, erm, I'd prefer the name to peter out, especially on public forums. It's become publicly associated eg on fb with my real name and I'm not keen on that. Thanks.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pedantica, edited - it's just that you've been using both so didn't realise you were trying to phase out the previous, sorry
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx, no worries. Thanks. Very Happy (I've stopped using the old one now.)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bloody hell.

As far as I can tell it seems like a good deal and had BF and I not decided on going to Morzine for the season we may well have investigated further and saved ourselves about £7.5k in rental and lift pass costs.

I really do not see why people get their knickers in such a twist. If you're not interested - jog on!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nadenoodlee wrote:
If you're not interested - jog on!

Laughing Laughing NehNeh Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="Nadenoodlee"]

saved ourselves about £7.5k in rental and lift pass costs.

[quote]

Thanks for your support Nadenoodlee, actually thats the way most people see it.

You would think in a ski enthusiast forum, that someone offering free skiing would be quite popular, and at least well received.

Its a sad reflection on us all that we tolerate their posts, but I learnt last year that being combative feeds the trolls serves no purpose.

At least this year, the likes of masque and others either seem to have learnt their lesson or have found others to annoy.
Or do you think I am being hopelessly optimistic again?

Nix.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica, The search on here will still find your old 'name' even if an admin changes the old name because where you have been requoted the 'old name' remains in the post. ....There is no escaping the old monicker!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, yes, I realise that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Have to say that doesn't sound like someone who's glad that "the trolls" have gone away - maybe you should just PM Masque and invite him over Twisted Evil

And for the record, I don't recall any particularly trollish behaviour in the past. Plenty of debate about whether your offer was good value/fair, plenty of chat about whether you're avoiding tax and many requests for feedback from your victims/volunteers. Granted there were some robust comments (step forward Masque wink ), but you seemed to give as good as you got (and were very quick to play the victim when it suited).

Think people are denying you the oxygen of publicity this time round though (or everyone's too busy watching Wimbledon)...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nixmap wrote:
You would think in a ski enthusiast forum, that someone offering free skiing would be quite popular, and at least well received.

Its a sad reflection on us all that we tolerate their posts, but I learnt last year that being combative feeds the trolls serves no purpose.

At least this year, the likes of masque and others either seem to have learnt their lesson or have found others to annoy.

I see you're dangling your bait...

... in fact your whole post is packed with dangly bits Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ena Tiplead wrote:
I see you're dangling your bait...

... in fact your whole post is packed with dangly bits Toofy Grin

I'm sorry you see it that way,I don't get it but never mind
In the end people who are interested in a simple way to get a
free seasons skiing hopefully will ignore the pointless comments
The matching posts on tgr are a lot more civilized
And genuine applications are already posted

As usual the offer stands on snow heads despite attempted diversions. Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ChrisWo wrote:
And for the record, I don't recall any particularly trollish behaviour in the past. Plenty of debate about whether your offer was good value/fair, plenty of chat about whether you're avoiding tax and many requests for feedback from your victims/volunteers. Granted there were some robust comments (step forward Masque wink ), but you seemed to give as good as you got (and were very quick to play the victim when it suited).

Yup, about right IMV. I don't care personally either way but I am a bit surprised that word of mouth recommendations from previous 'post-holders' doesn't bring you your successors without you having to 'advertise' on all the forums.
snow report
cathy wrote:
I don't care personally either way but I am a bit surprised that word of mouth recommendations from previous 'post-holders' doesn't bring you your successors without you having to 'advertise' on all the forums.

Well thats happening aswell, but I wouldnt want to restrict it to just a few friends of friends.

Its a fair and equal opportunity offer for all Smile
latest report
sounds like a perfect position for a teacher who is not happy with his/her lot Very Happy
ski holidays
Chris Reynard fits the bill, unemployed, likes skiing and not averse to avoiding paying third parties.
latest report
lightningdan wrote:
Chris Reynard fits the bill, unemployed, likes skiing and not averse to avoiding paying third parties.

Not really a sensible suggestion, but thanks anyway, for trying to be funny.
ski holidays
Obviously not a serious idea, a little humor? Thought you would be pleased that this thread was being followed.

I do not have an issue with your idea, it would suit me to take you up on it, but need to keep working to pay for other stuff.

Good luck.
snow conditions
lightningdan, agreed, in fact I think the worst thing about this thread is seeing such a tantalising offer being dangled and not being in a position to capitalise on it!!
latest report
nixmap, Oh good grief rolling eyes are you still running this scheme . . . for anyone that's interested, yes it can be quite attractive, you may have a great time and Nixmap may even be able to perform a reasonable pastiche of good natured bonhomie for the period . . . but . . . it is a job, it is evading Swiss tax, emigration and employment law, you have no protection and when this goes titsup you will be royally screwed and possibly in prison or deported. Signing a non-disclosure agreement will not change this.

Is Snowheads the last forum that lets this abuse of its members continue? You are being invited to break the law . . . go for it, but don't say you've not been warned.
latest report
It's such a good deal and so tantalising that despite, to the best of my knowledge, this being the third year he has run this (for the winter season - and he runs the same deal on hiking forums during summer, HIKE THE ALPS FOR FREE!), for some bizare and incomprehensible reason non of the previous incumbents have ever stepped forward to post their own report or photos or indeed to ratify his suggestion as to how great the deal is and to let us know what a wonderful season they have had. Strange non ?

Nix will of course claim it's because they don't want to be abused, trolled or whatever which frankly is absurd as from what I see anyone taking the time to post their personal experience about a trip or a season working, or holidaying, is normally thanked for sharing their experience, good or bad.

Good luck again in finding a "volunteer" responding to your "not a job offer" whose advertisement, as well as describing the core duties (cooking, cleaning, child minding) also uses words including "applicants" and "extra workload". Na, silly me, of course it's not job. rolling eyes
snow report
I'd forgotten about the chilminding ... The Swiss have A VERY BIG HARDON about unqualified and unregistered non family members in loco parentis ... it's a criminal offense...
Something our mate Nix has neglected to mention in his 'free lunch' offer. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
For the most part it's barter. Barter happens over here, too. I don't think HMRC like it, but I don't think it's ever been jumped on. The child-minding aspect is another matter, though.
latest report
Masque wrote:
The Swiss have A VERY BIG HARDON about unqualified and unregistered non family members in loco parentis ... it's a criminal offense...

How does that work? I often take my friends two children (a 4yr old girl and 2yr old boy) out for the day on my own so does that mean if we lived in Switzerland it would be a criminal offence Shocked Scary to think last weekend when I was at the at the seaside with the kids and their Mum and Dad were sat at home chilling I could have been committing an offence if I lived in Switzerland.

Realise this is going off thread but curious as its something I've never heard of before or would have even considered on the basis that the parents have consented.
snow report
Brimster, dunno - but what nixmap seems to be proposing would be a bit on the edge in the UK.

Quote:
However, if you care for friend’s children either in your home or any other home, you do not need to register with us as a childminder unless you are paid for doing this.

Firstly, it would be a bit flakey to say that nixmap's slave was his 'friend'. Secondly, the slave would in a sense be being paid for his services:

Quote:
Money’s worth means a payment towards the costs involved in the childcare such as a contribution to heating and lighting, or paying for food or repairs to the place where the childminding happens. If your friend pays you for this type of thing then you need to register with us as a childminder........However, if you provide childminding for someone who is not your friend and they offer goods and services in return for childminding, this is counted as reward and you must register with us.

Overall, I'd say that the nixmap deal is barter - and if snowheads want to do it it is up to them. To me the childminding thing would need a very careful look at, though.
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:
I would like to make clear this is not a job offer......Nix.

Yes it is a job offer. The posts constitute an employment; remuneration being free accommodation/food(?) and lift pass. Simply stating that it is not a job does not make it so. Similarly, the fact that no money changes hands does not prevent it being an employment.

If the job was within the UK nixmap would almost ceretainly fall foul of the minimum wage legislation.

I've no knowledge of the Swiss laws the nixmap is breaking with his scheme, but I would guess it would include tax laws, laws relating to the employment of non Swiss nationals and child care rules.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here we go again. The only Thing thus thread is missing is DavidL
ski holidays
"for some bizare and incomprehensible reason non of the previous incumbents have ever stepped forward to post their own report or photos or indeed to ratify his suggestion as to how great the deal is and to let us know what a wonderful season they have had. Strange non ?"

Non so strange.

The chalet is called the Overlook, the previous incumbents were all aspiring writers with drink problems who hated skidoos, failed to tend the boiler properly, bust the place up with roquet mallets, then wrote inane graffiti all over the walls before being eaten by the shrubbery.
ski holidays
oh well I suppose you lot save nick the bother of his daily bump of this thread rolling eyes
latest report
thirty06 wrote:
The chalet is called the Overlook

Laughing Laughing

Or the abonded hotel in Cold Prey ??
latest report
Gazzza wrote:
It's such a good deal and so tantalising that despite, to the best of my knowledge, this being the third year he has run this (for the winter season - and he runs the same deal on hiking forums during summer, HIKE THE ALPS FOR FREE!), for some bizare and incomprehensible reason non of the previous incumbents have ever stepped forward to post their own report or photos or indeed to ratify his suggestion as to how great the deal is and to let us know what a wonderful season they have had. Strange non ?

Nix will of course claim it's because they don't want to be abused, trolled or whatever which frankly is absurd as from what I see anyone taking the time to post their personal experience about a trip or a season working, or holidaying, is normally thanked for sharing their experience, good or bad.

I would guess the tax evasion aspect of it could potentially scare former "volunteers" to come forward with feedback.

It's one thing to chat and speculate about the position when we're just spectators. It's another when you actually did it and don't want the authority to come after you.

Further more, I suspect this is one of those highly informal post, the applicant is free to negotiate to the best interest of him/her. So each year's position probably had different terms, the detail of which the applicants prefer not to disclose. However, if I were a serious applicant, a positive feed back from previous candidates (in private) would be a necessary prerequisite, without which I wouldn't proceed.
latest report
abc, yes indeed, you never know who's reading this or what other snowHeads' jobs are Very Happy
latest report
And to think, Bergmeister was just moaning to me that there hadn't been any really amusing posts on Snowheads for a while.....Toofy Grin

Keep 'em coming!
latest report
Brimster wrote:
I could have been committing an offence if I lived in Switzerland.

Of course this is nonsense, casual childcare between friends happens all the time, just like everywhere else.
Its just the usual deliberate diversions that this thread has traditionally attracted, designed to spread fear and or uncertainty, for reasons best known to the authors.

It is just the nature of snowheads, and the community puts up with it.
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:

& why shouldn't they, fair comment and all that? Don't say you don't love the oxygen of publicity for your ad/wind up potential wink
latest report
fatbob wrote:
nixmap wrote:

& why shouldn't they, fair comment and all that? Don't say you don't love the oxygen of publicity for your ad/wind up potential wink

Interesting choice of phrase "fair comment". I would expect a fair comment to be exactly that, not a deliberate diversion.

Anyhow I am not going to to get irritated this year, I will just try and answer the genuine questions people have, either in public or private when required

The above offer for the 2012 ski season stands.
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
Brimster wrote:
I could have been committing an offence if I lived in Switzerland.

Of course this is nonsense, casual childcare between friends happens all the time, just like everywhere else.

I presume then that in this case a little backhistory for this new friendship will need to be invented - just in case.
snow report
sloop wrote:
I presume then that in this case a little backhistory for this new friendship will need to be invented - just in case.

Goodness me, what are you suggesting?
That its not possible to make genunine friends via the internet?
In a tightly knit like minded community forum such as snowheads no one makes friends?
I think you do our forum a great disservice.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy