Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The absolute bargain bash

Poster: A snowHead
Inspired by this comment elsewhere on snowHeads lets have a little challenge for the summer
TallTone wrote,
Quote:

others to think about... Ideas welcome

How about The Absolute Minimum Cost Budget bash, lets see how cheap it can be done Toofy Grin

So I reckon its an Easy Ryan flight

Resort? Italy - is that cheap?

Accom? A schools dorm type hostel?

Board? Self catering I guess unless there is a slop option at the dorm.

ifirc there is a school/ holiday camp type place in Bourg St Maruice that PG reckoned was an out and out bargain a few years back.

Admin reckons he does deals lets see how low we can get Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin, sure it could be done cheaper. Maybe a coach trip to Romania?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chamrousse, booked through Snowtrex, and a fleet of self drive minibuses.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent, why not throw in stealing...sorry, borrowing for the week.....skis and only skiing in those resorts that have beginner free lifts..... Toofy Grin

Cheapest I've managed was indeed Italy for £330 half board 3* hotel, F & T. Out of hi-season lift pass at £150 and top level skis at £85. So £565 all in (obviously less my considerable drinking budget Madeye-Smiley ) ....conditions were perfect.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can we stay at nixmaps?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chasseur, There is quite a large circuit that can be done in La Plagne using the free lifts and ski buses Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why not free?

Hitch to the Alps with own gear. Skin up, bivvi in Snowhole. Ski down. Hitch home.

(It's probably been done)

70 Snowheads all trying to hitch out of SE London may be a problem, but I'm sure Admin can rise to the challenge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur wrote:
Excellent, why not throw in stealing...sorry, borrowing for the week.....skis and only skiing in those resorts that have beginner free lifts..... Toofy Grin

Cheapest I've managed was indeed Italy for £330 half board 3* hotel, F & T. Out of hi-season lift pass at £150 and top level skis at £85. So £565 all in (obviously less my considerable drinking budget Madeye-Smiley ) ....conditions were perfect.

Early next season, £325 for chalet board, F&T at high altitude in the 3 valleys. Area lift pass £170 because it is early but not very early season. A week earlier and it would be £150.

Free lifts are available, but they are pretty limited.

I don't see why ski trips would need to get much cheaper than that. With the free wine included at the chalet, my considerable drinking budget for a week is about £100.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
£430.00 in Poland 22nd January, fllights, breakfast, dinner, pass and equipment. Booze is cheap, but not included. 16 people max.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gulmarg has low loft pass prices - and I understand very good powder skiing. To keep costs down we could hire a hut. There is the small problem of swimming there and hitching to the resort. Still, we are on a budget. Mustn't grumble.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, cheapest IMHO is 7 folk in one car ie XC90 with a roofbox driving to a little known resort, taking all food with you, and booking last minute...

Some mates did Reading to Switzerland and back in Jan, 3 in an XC90, they reckon it cost them £195 each return all in....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, Who arranged that trip? Snow White Travel?

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bus to Aviemore. Wild Camp in Glenmore. Skin up the hill. Shoot reindeer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stangely enough I have been doing something similar today, but on a one person only basis.

I have a strange fixation of the fact that it is almost possible to walk from the airport at INN to Innsbruck itself. (being 4km from the airport). I reckoned that might reduce the costs significantly.

However, travelling from Scotland, there are unfortunately no discount flights to INN. So it means a transfer to LGW from GLA, which results in a ski carriage total cost of £100!!!!!! with EJ Shocked

It is still fairly cost effective because one of the HI hostels in Innsbruck is fairly cheap per night. Now if you had a group of people there, you could jointly hire a vehicle and do day trips to St Anton, Solden, and of course the ski areas in Innsbruck.

The main cost obstuction seems to be the flight for me, but it would be a bargain if you could get to Liverpool, Bristol or LGW cheaply.
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Monium wrote:
Chasseur wrote:

Early next season, £325 for chalet board, F&T at high altitude in the 3 valleys. Area lift pass £170 because it is early but not very early season. A week earlier and it would be £150.

Free lifts are available, but they are pretty limited.

I don't see why ski trips would need to get much cheaper than that. With the free wine included at the chalet, my considerable drinking budget for a week is about £100.

Monium, how early....? On surface of it, not bad, especially with the inclusive wine..... Laughing
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
How about The Absolute Minimum Cost Budget bash, lets see how cheap it can be done Toofy Grin

So I reckon its an Easy Ryan flight

Resort? Italy - is that cheap?

Accom? A schools dorm type hostel?

Board? Self catering I guess unless there is a slop option at the dorm.

ifirc there is a school/ holiday camp type place in Bourg St Maruice that PG reckoned was an out and out bargain a few years back.

Admin reckons he does deals lets see how low we can get Toofy Grin
Surely it's hard to beat £333 including lift pass and transfer? - (although a super-snowHead could, quite easily Wink )

U really need to set some limits though. It's perfectly easy to ski for less if you put up with loads of hassle and inconvenience and go somewhere that's basically crap. There was a day or two to be had on Primrose Hill this Winter which, with an Oyster card, would have cost a couple of quid to get to and back.
Similarly, late deals can be incredible cheap at a cost to choice and dependability.
A few years ago I did 8 days in Merihell, my own triple room in a catered chalet inc. train travel for £179 but I booked 5 hrs before departure. I was a bit gutted to meet someone on a chairlift who had travelled with another op for £159 all in - but then realised he was only getting 6 days skiing snowHead
ski holidays
Back in my youthly student days, our ski club used to do the ultimate bargain trips. It involved minibus travel from Cambridge to the French Alps, 6-8 people in a shoebox apartment (and yes not enough 'beds' to go round), no food as such (cuppa soups and crisps from the supermarché) and the cheapest grog we could find. Pretty sure it was all in for under £200 but admittedly this was 20 years ago.

Strangely enough, now that I am a 'grown-up', I have no desire to holiday, or indeed live like this.
snow report
Quote:

Back in my youthly student days, our ski club used to do the ultimate bargain trips. It involved minibus travel from Cambridge to the French Alps, 6-8 people in a shoebox apartment (and yes not enough 'beds' to go round), no food as such (cuppa soups and crisps from the supermarché) and the cheapest grog we could find. Pretty sure it was all in for under £200 but admittedly this was 20 years ago.

They are still running the trip - £309 this year in Val Thorens, Dec 3 - travel, accommodation, lift pass and insurance. 3000 students Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

£309 this year in Val Thorens

Always lots of 'bargains' to be found in Val Thorens Laughing
latest report
Bigtipper wrote:

However, travelling from Scotland,

So presumably you can just drive up the road and skin up a hill. Cost zero. (well, OK, a bit of petrol, shared with some mates)
snow report
You don't even need to skin all day. La Plagne, and I'm sure many other resorts, save money by only installing turnstiles on easily accessible lifts and those that link ski pass areas so there are a fair few that you don't need a pass for.

So find a lift with no turnstile, skin to lift, remove skins where the lifty can't see you, ski all day.
snow report
Snow and Sunshine, It's possible to ski from near the top of Plagne Villages all the way down to 1800 without a pass and back up again using ski bus and free lifts. Similarly you can ski down from Aime 2000 to 1800 without needing a pass as well using the ski bus and Tele bus. You can also ski from Aime 2000 to Montalbert without needing a pass as well, but you do need a pass to get back up again Very Happy
snow conditions
boredsurfin, mind you, who would want to ski to Montalbert?
latest report
You should change the subject of this topic to: "The absolute bargain bash which is still enjoyable".

I went to St. Sorlin d'Arves about 5 years ago, including travel (bus), accommodation (cramped French apartment), lift pass (7,5 days), ski hire, food and quite a lot of drinks (including lunches on the mountain and the occasional restaurant at night) I paid around € 500,- for the complete trip. The mayor point here is that you do not need to go to the well known area's to have a great holiday, you can enjoy yourself for far less in the lesser known resorts.
ski holidays
Eyeopener,

If we are talking about past history, the cheapest deal I remember was when I was in Auckland I joined a weekend tour bus from Auckland to Mt Whakapapa. It cost about £100 in 1999 for bus transportation, accomodation, 2 days lift pass, ski and boot hire (including any jackets and sallapettes). I remember thinking at the time that it was very good value.

The accomodation was some kind of hostel type accomodation, 6 persons to a room. (same sex only) It had canadian hot tubs, and a fairly cheap bar. A bus would take you to the slopes in the morning (about 5 -10 minutes drive from accomodation)

I think it was catering for people staying in the youth hostel in Auckland, as that is where the adverts were placed.

It was cheap because I was in Auckland at the time anyway, and so did not need to fly there in the first place.

Shocked
snow report
achilles wrote:
boredsurfin, mind you, who would want to ski to Montalbert?

Yep quite right.

rolling eyes
latest report
Self and wife, 1985, 1 week 1/2 board in L2A.

Free. Now beat that!

It was a "view and try" promo from a company called Ski Party who were trying to woo me as the last three years I had organised trips for 55, 77 and 88 people and they foolishly thought I would do it again. I was out of that game (or rather University Ski Club) but was not about to tell them that!
snow report
About three years ago - hotel Diva in Tignes, half board, flights transfers etc seven days - €350 from Dublin. Big resort, Four star hotel in prime location, great room, good food, great price.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp, The police are on their way from Leeds as we speak.

snowHead
ski holidays
rogg, I htink we were there around the same time - early january? 299 from manchester
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Day trip to courchevel, ski all day for free, eat on the mountain, bit of apres and go home 150 euro better off

Is that a deal?

Ok so there were a few caveats..but it's still a good cheap deal for 3v.
snow conditions
haven't done this trip but last year you could get a week half board at hotel Ros Mages in Montgenevre for about £320
it is pretty much ski from the door as the main lift in the centre of the village is about 20m away
this was with Rocket ski
personally i stopped at Hameau apts in resort for which a week with Neilson or Thomson can be had for less than £400 at certain times
snow conditions
Come on you are not trying
How about this advertised today
Valfrejus Les Chalets du Tabor including lift pass £108

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/search_specials/holiday_categories/low-cost_ski_holidays.html
April 7th 6 sharing
ski holidays
You can ski pretty much all over Europe on the cheap

http://www.eurolines.nl/eng/other_products/eurolines_pass_1/

http://www.eurolines.nl/eng/destinations_1/eurolines_destinations/
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
Come on you are not trying
How about this advertised today
Valfrejus Les Chalets du Tabor including lift pass £108

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/search_specials/holiday_categories/low-cost_ski_holidays.html
April 7th 6 sharing

I thought the 4 person apartment for 1 person on 17th March for £886.50 including flights, ski carriage, cancellation insurance, 6 day lift pass, was a bargain in Nendez.

Until I realised you had to organise your own transfer!

rolling eyes
snow report
Has anyone actually managed to book a holiday at the low lead in prices I wonder?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy