Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Freeride/All mountain ski for advanced/expert skiers 2007/08

Poster: A snowHead
Doing a bit of a clear-out and came across a DM Ski & Snowboard magazine from Nov 2007. The big equipment test for this issue were the new season's freeride skis.

They had split them into "Advanced" and "Expert" with the expert skis being "wider than those in the advanced category and more geared towards off-piste use".

So, thinking that this was only 3 seasons ago, which skis do you think topped each category (there were 2 in each)?

The testers included Martin & Graham Bell, a couple of professional freeriders and a few old duffers - sorry, I mean the editorial team.

No cheating.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
B-Squad? Funny how that's coming back..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Legend 8800?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scott Mission?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HellBent, no

gorilla, no

Arno, Not even included in the test!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apache Recon?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nodica hot rod?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Expert would be about 85mm wide - too early for the Fischer Watea?

I think I've still got a copy of a DMSS where the Movement Thunder was rated best expert offpiste ski. Thinking of running mine as a hardpack only pair.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bandit b 83 ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mantra?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
nodica hot rod?

Think the Hell Cat was that year and about 92mm underfoot. Weighed a tonne too!

I'd go with Volkl Mantras too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here's a clue.. the 2 winners in the advanced category were 74mm and 78mm; and the 2 expert winners were 78mm and 96mm (which was the only 90mm+ ski tested)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
banditb74/b78 and b78/mantra
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jzBun, been hanging on please tell Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meandrew, You've got 1 out of 3 right.

The Mantra was joint best for experts.

Quote:
Volkl Mantra. £430.00 IB.
"The Mantras did amazingly well in this category considering they are so wide underfoot they could be classified as Big Mountain skis. They came top of the class for powder/off-piste, long turns, straight-line stability, high speed and all terrain versatility. But they did less well for groomed piste, moguls, liveliness/responsiveness and edge-hold, showing "poor grip on ice"
ski holidays
Mantra, bombproof.
snow report
The concept of "all mountain" is a bollux marketing term as far as I can see. What it really means is mainly piste with the odd bit of offpiste, sort of what most experienced holiday skiers do. If you want a real off-piste ski that will really have the best design characteristics for powder/corn/mank/crust/windpack you have to look in the "big mountain" category.

"Freeride" is even less meaningful - is it everything except racing? FWT style burly lines and hucks?

Why don't they characterise skis by type of condition? Soft conditions ski, hard pack ski is more meaningful.

The Mantra is a damn good ski as an allrounder (at least when I tried it a few years ago) but the review above only states what anyone could have guessed from the dimensions and a bit of knowledge about the type of ski Volkl make.
snow conditions
fatbob, I reckon all mountain is good if used properly - although as you say it's usually not. 80-100mm, proper 50/50 compromise is all mountain.

Freeride, yeah, it's a way of skiing (or kayaking, or biking, etc) rather than a category. Maybe BC Freestyle is a better description for it? FWT gnarly stuff = big mountain IMV.
latest report
ac30
snow conditions
Rossi B2 (78 underfoot)

These were pretty highly rated when they first appeared and received a few "ski of the year" awards. I think they're still pretty good, despite the "punter ski" tag they subsequently attracted.
latest report
The Volkl AC30 Titanium came joint bottom of the advanced group with 7/10 and was described as having "...the look and feel of a skiercross ski"

The B78 scored the same 7/10. One reviewer said..."Not really exciting in any category".

Monium, The other winner in the Expert section was the Recon.

So, now we have the 2007/8 winners for expert skiers: Mantra and Recon.

Which 2 won in the Advanced.

Also I've just noticed that they also have the same format for women's skis. I'm probably gonna sound really chauvinist piggy here but...Movement Chicka?
snow conditions
Nordica Hot Rod Eliminator?
Head XRC800?
ski holidays
lynseyf, Nordica Hot Rod Eliminator?

Got slated really..."middle ranking for powder/off-piste and less remarkable on-piste"

Head XRC800. Not featured.
ski holidays
jzBun, this has got to be the best thread its like top trumps of ski`s Very Happy I just cant think ive had to much wine Laughing
ski holidays
meandrew, I've just had a look at the same feature but from the Jan 2009 edition. That might be next. snowHead
snow report
Are the Legend 8000s on there?
ski holidays
clarky999, Yes, but same score in the advanced section as the AC30's and Bandits i.e. bottom marks. Described , a little cryptically, as "A bit tough for this group and, despite the tighter radius, they scored less well for short turns and liveliness/responsiveness". One reviewer said..."they have to be worked quite hard". Scored well for off-piste though.
snow report
Acacia, I loved my B2's as a beginner ski (4 days in). But after 4 years they felt like wet noodles and then started to delaminate. My skiing improved dramatically when I tried stiffer skis. Were the first model though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jzBun wrote:
meandrew, I've just had a look at the same feature but from the Jan 2009 edition. That might be next. snowHead
yeah baby bring it on lets go all the way back to the sixties.
snow conditions
i think,i think it might be the head monster i78?
ski holidays
meandrew,
Quote:
i think,i think it might be the head monster i78?

Head monster iM78 SW. £425.00 (IB)

No, sorry...
Quote:
Best for - Lovers of long fast turns, on or off-piste. Came top for long turns, smoothness and all terrain versatility. They were also joint top for high speed, scoring well for on and off-piste. Less impressive in short turns and moguls
. Score 7.5/10.
ski holidays
jzBun wrote:
lynseyf, Nordica Hot Rod Eliminator?

Got slated really..."middle ranking for powder/off-piste and less remarkable on-piste"

Head XRC800. Not featured.

I tried the Eliminator and Recon when I was looking to buy my first skis which must have been around this time.

There must be a Salomon but I can't remember what would have been around then as I've never really skied them??
snow conditions
What was the Fisher that was before the Progressor that's out now? Fischer something 8 or 9?? They were really popular for a while
ski holidays
RX I think?
latest report
It was the RX which was tested in the expert category, they also had the AMC 73 which appeared in the advanced.

The RX got the worst score in the test - 6.5/10 "Powder/off-piste, long turns, high speed and smoothness scores weren't strong". Not great then.

The AMC 73? Not great either according to the Bell brothers et al..."Felt like a race ski" and "struggled a bit off piste" 7/10.

lynseyf,
Quote:
There must be a Salomon but I can't remember what would have been around then as I've never really skied them??

There is and it was a joint winner.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
RX I think?

Yeah that's what the one I meant

ooh can't think what Salomon it would have been, too early for the Aero something or other, I remember somebody trying to flog me some of them at one point?
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:

Salomon Tornado? (Or did they come later?)
latest report
... Or one of the other X-Wings?
latest report
abj,
Quote:

lynseyf wrote:

Salomon Tornado? (Or did they come later?)

The Tornado was featured in the expert category. They scored 8/10 which seemed a bit generous because, for an all mountain ski, they didn't get the thumbs-up for powder..."They need to be fatter" was a general view.
ski holidays
abj wrote:
... Or one of the other X-Wings?

Fury
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy