Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski School Les Arcs 1800

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi We are going to Les Arc 1800 at Christmas. I have 2 lads - 11 and 13 yrs - really good skiiers. They like to ski with kids so I'm checking out ski schools. They did competition class with Spirit at 1950 a couple of years ago and loved it. I know back country would be good for them cos they love off piste. Seems like the ski school at 1800 is Arc Adventures. Anyone know if it is OK at this level for kids this age? Alternatively are there any others I could check out? Lastly is it too much hassle to try to get to 1950 from 1800 for 9.30am?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Beverly.

Be careful about booking through a TO. Skiworld booked my wife into an English speaking class - it was, she was the English speaker !!! We then had a fight to get a refund.

1950 on the bus would be alright but on skis would be a stretch as the Transarc has a queue 1st thing.

Great resort though so I'm sure you'll ove the holiday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brilliant thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beverly, the bus to get to 1950 for 9.30am would be far from ideal. There are two bus services; one goes from 1800 to 1600, the other goes from 1600 to 1950 and 2000. So you would have to change buses. Even then, you'd have to time it right, I don't have my old bus timetable but there can sometimes be a bit of a wait in between the two (though sometimes they are synchronised). In any case, even they are synchronised you'd be looking at 30 - 45 minutes on the bus (depending where you are in 1800, Villards or Charvet). Have a look at this link to view last season's timetables to get an idea. http://www.lesarcsnet.com/maps-and-timetables/les-arcs-maps-and-timetables.htm

It would also be a bit of a gamble to be in 1950 for 9.30am if you skied. You would have to get to the Transarc early to beat the queues then catch the first lifts at 9.15; the lift up takes up to 15 minutes to get to the top, and you then have the descent down to 1950 which would be 5 minutes max if they're pretty quick. So 9.30 on the dot would be unlikely.

So, in short, I'd suggest you try to avoid getting to 1950 in the morning unless you really have no other options, it'll add stress that you really don't need.

And for SnowMonkey's comment about English speaking classes; yes that can happen. But just because you book independently as opposed to through a TO, it doesn't guarantee any more success. TO's use the same companies as are available to the public (of the major TOs most use ESF, I think Skiworld are the only ones to use Arc Adventures). I didn't have much experience with Arc Adventures for lessons but I heard they were good. ESF, well, you know what you're going to get with them as per any other resort.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were there about 4 years ago and my son of 14 went into a class with Arc Adventures, he was the only English child but had a great time due to the instruction given. The group were all very good and the instructor stretched them at every opportunity. It worked for our son and I would recommend them from that experience.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Didn't have lessons when we were in Les Acrs, but you could look at New Generation Vallandry? You can then use some of the other chairs and not have to rely on the Transarc (queues).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beverly, Not really a good idea for the boys to go over to Vallandry if the lessons are first thing in the morning. They would always be worried about not making it on time. Might be possible for lessons later in the day and have them dropped off back in Arc 1800. You are better off using the ESF or Arc Adventure in 1800. Both are ok and ESF has an elite group IF they are very good by French standards.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beverly, We have spent two holidays in Les Arcs (1800), we have used Arc Adventures each time. The first time the kids had proper ski school, but during term time with so few attendees the level wasn't really pitched high enough for them over-all. This year we booked an instuctor between the pair of them twice for 2 hrs each time. This was a far better solution. My kids sound a similar level to yours (although mine are only 8 and 11. We explained the situation and Arc Adventures gave them an instructor who took them vitually everwhere on the mountain, black runs, moguls, skier cross, off piste, ski park etc. and the kids had a fabulous time with him. In fact we repeated the exercise in VT this year (different ski school) and again the format of their own instructor worked well. I have had instruction with Arc Adventures myself and would thoroughly recommend them. Arc Adventures ski garden is also easy to get to from Arc 1800 as well, but they are happy to meet you at the transarc as well if you arrange it with them when you book and go and see the people in the office which is a 2 minute walk down a short slope from the main lift area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
N.B All the Arc Adventures instructors speak English too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum wrote:
N.B All the Arc Adventures instructors speak English too.
Was that the same young, good looking instructor that said to you .... chase me...? wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FraserP, Well I can't be expected to spend my entire holiday without someone young and good looking to spend some time with can I? NehNeh
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FraserP, look on the bright side, the way that's worded seems to imply that she thinks you're good-looking, even if you're not young.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.... Crying or Very sad Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to the thread, the bottom line is the kids really enjoyed their time with Arc Adventures. Well worth the money for the private lessons. Even the big kid (megamum) had a good time!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FraserP, Don't try and play with the big girls unless you are prepared to take the consequences Laughing Let's not forget either that I don't only have to take 2 kids away, I end up looking after all three of you rolling eyes

Beverly, You won't go wrong with Arc Adventures, at their age and skills I think they will get much more out of a couple of private sessions with an instructor than doing some sort of group ski school.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
Beverly, We have spent two holidays in Les Arcs (1800), we have used Arc Adventures each time. The first time the kids had proper ski school, but during term time with so few attendees the level wasn't really pitched high enough for them over-all. This year we booked an instuctor between the pair of them twice for 2 hrs each time. This was a far better solution. My kids sound a similar level to yours (although mine are only 8 and 11. We explained the situation and Arc Adventures gave them an instructor who took them vitually everwhere on the mountain, black runs, moguls, skier cross, off piste, ski park etc. and the kids had a fabulous time with him. In fact we repeated the exercise in VT this year (different ski school) and again the format of their own instructor worked well. I have had instruction with Arc Adventures myself and would thoroughly recommend them. Arc Adventures ski garden is also easy to get to from Arc 1800 as well, but they are happy to meet you at the transarc as well if you arrange it with them when you book and go and see the people in the office which is a 2 minute walk down a short slope from the main lift area.

Arcs adventures are good enough, but private lessons are the way forward unless the kids are good enough to join a free-ride course which is unlikely if they only do a week a year. Not all ski schools do these courses but it's worth asking. The instructors will be able to give them an idea of where their level is in the pro world of skiing!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy