Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in Austria or Italy

Poster: A snowHead
For a party of 7 or 8 skiers, a mixture of intermediate intermediate and advanced intermediate.

I spent Christmas in Lech once, and it was lovely, but rather posh and expensive. Have tried the search facility, but there's so much about Austrian resorts that I'm boggled by the choice, and don't really know where to start. Basically looking for somewhere likely to have snow at Christmas, reasonably scenic, medium-price. Half-board (chalet or hotel - I appreciate it's more likely to be hotel in Austria, that's OK) with decent food, and must have en suite facilities. And an easy/shortish transfer would be a bonus, as would a pool, or at least a sauna. Some nightlife would be useful for the younger members of the party, but it doesn't have to be super-wild.

I had also been thinking about Cervinia, but that seems to have generated quite a few thumbs down, so far as I've been able to ascertain on a search.

Where do I start? I really am clueless about Austria and pretty clueless about Italy too. Fancy a change from France, though.

Thanks in advance for some ideas.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hurtle, I'd suggest resorts such as Kitzbuhel, Zell am See, or Mayrhofen. The latter two also have the benefit of glacier skiing nearby as insurance should the snow be thin on the ground (Kaprun for Zell am See, and Hintertux for Mayrhofen).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle, You're right, there are loads of places. I'd also say Kitzbuhel and I'd also say Saalbach Hinterglemm would meet your requirements. And I wouldn't worry about whether or not there will be snow at Christmas.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PM'd.....naturally!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, Come and play with us (me, kooky, Waynos and flangesax among many others!) in Sport Amadé - you know it's what you want to do Toofy Grin The ideal resort for your group would be Wagrain right smack bang in the middle of the 4 valleys that make up the core Amadé region. Enough of us around to offer all the help and guidence you need! wink

Wagrain is the birthplace of the writer of Stille Nacht - so where better to experience an Austrian Christmas.

I have been going to the region to ski for over 20 years at Christmas and have never been disappointed, nor have I ever had to resort to queuing to get up to a glacier! There are, however, two in the region (the Dachstein and the Kitzsteinhorn) should the need ever arise. The Kitzsteinhorn makes for a wonderful day out if the weather is cold, sunny and clear as you can see for ever from up there!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sölden / Obergurgl are worth a look if you are looking for better snow reliability at the expense of a longer transfer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/6395505/Best-Austrian-ski-resorts.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, folks, already plenty to mull over here.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, firstly, might be worth checking out the flight situation. Loads of choice under 2 hours from Innsbruck, Salzburg or Munich. By the way, they wrote Stille Nacht in Wagrain because the apres ski isn't exactly humming!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, I know some people going to Wagrain for xmas Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Our hotel is small, cheap and fully booked Laughing but there is a mass of good value places out there. http://www.wagrain.info/en-hotels-wagrain.shtml
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty the Snowman, I might be having Christmas in Flachau - we'll get to see you this year one way or the other Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, excellent. I feel a bit of umbrella bar apres coming on Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller, You just don't know where to go! Laughing Loads of places that are humming and thumping during the day as well as after the last bus has gone wink

The priest of Oberndorf bei Salzburg was born in Wagrain but the hymn was first performed in Oberndorf. He was buried in the family plot in the Wagrain grave yard as was the norm if you have the "land" (Still is true today Cool )
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well if you want to check out St Anton my website has all the info you will need : www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sidneyreilly, that's a useful site, I shall return. And I never knew who Sidney Reilly was before today.

Worth you getting it redesigned though eh?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle,
This post is hardly going to be a mine of insider info as I've only been once - March this year - so this is more of a pointer. I was mighty impressed by the Dolomites and its various villages and will definitely be going back. There's others on here who will have far more knowledge of the region, particularly early season snow depth.

Cervinia has always delivered a little less than it promised.

Hard to beat the birth place of Stille Nacht for the ultimate Christmas atmosphere though.
snow conditions
Hurtle, I was just about to post 'Where should Mounta1nGoat and I go for Christmas' and I saw your thread, so I will keep an eye on it and see what ideas pop up!

I have to ask snowHead's for more Italian suggestions though, I don't know if we've just been unlucky on our two Austrian trips but the cuisine was a bit of a let down (skiing and ambiance was great though).
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire, Madonna di Campiglio in the Brenta Dolomites might be worth a look. I've not stayed there but did have an evening in the town last season. Fabulous place, very smart, loads of charm and character. Good snow record. Both times I've been to the area including this Jan, the conditions have been outstanding - the other time was end March 2 years ago. Not, perhaps, the cheapest place but neither the most expensive.

Am definitely going to get a week there at some point, rather than base in Folgarida as in the past.
latest report
Chasseur, It's a consideration, we were in Folgarida at Half-Term but never popped over the otherside.
latest report
Hurtle, Stuben is a good value base for the arlberg. Stayed at the hubertushof a couple of years back. Excellent hotel with great food and facilities. Stuben is dead at night but very picturesque. St Anton and lech within easy reach. St christoph I would imagine to bd a great place to spend Christmas but have never based myself there when at the arlberg.
Ischgl could be a good shout too.
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire, The place I stayed at in Austria had all the game shot by the husband of the lady who ran the hotel. Beautiful food... as evident by the large amounts of people not staying in the hotel who used to come in to the restaurant during the evening.
snow report
Quote:

sidneyreilly, that's a useful site, I shall return. And I never knew who Sidney Reilly was before today.

Worth you getting it redesigned though eh?

Bode Swiller - it is supposed to be like that !! Smile
snow report
Shocked
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, indeed - my eyes!
snow report
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Chasseur, It's a consideration, we were in Folgarida at Half-Term but never popped over the otherside.

OK, in that case, you'll not be disappointed given your experience in F-M. Bigger and more varied terrain plus they may have opened the Pinzolo link by then. The town is quite traditional, yet seemed to cater for most tastes from sedate to wild (well, pretty lively!).

It didn't look like the principle accommodations in the town were at all far from the various lifts that serve Madonna.

I'm guessing you stayed with Folgarida.co.uk when you went? If so, they now have one or possibly two places in Madonna for the 2011/2012 season.
latest report
Chasseur, Indeed we did, however Wayne's season seems to start in January.
latest report
anarchicsaltire, good point, well made.... Laughing
snow conditions
Hurtle, sorry I have only just seen this .....must mean i am busy!!

I would agree with Sues choice of Wagrain, very pretty town, couple of very lively bars , great restaurants, skiing is as varied as you want, and there is some mighty fine back country I am sure Waynos and Flangesax would be keen to show the more adventurous Shocked There are so many places to ski within a 20-30 min drive , buses are very good here, Schladming,Haus,Reiteralm, Flachau, Zauchensee,St.Johann,Radstadt/Altenmarkt....you won´t be bored!

would be great to meet up with you, and of course Frosties crowd too!!
ski holidays
kooky, sounds great. I'll have to see what my friends think.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Useful thread this, I was just thinking this last week about where in Austria I could go for Christmas, plenty of good suggestions here Very Happy
snow conditions
Aww, its gonna be all crowded now.... booger off the lot of ya Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, who says I was considering the Wagrain option? wink
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, don't worry, it's far from certain that I'll end up in Wagrain.
snow conditions
Frankly, anywhere with "wag" and "rain" in the name sounds hideous...... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Hurtle, at least you don't take up much room wink
snow report
Chasseur, hmm, sounds better as it is pronounced - 'vagg' and 'rhine' Very Happy

Then again I find anything with 'Fr' and 'ance' in the address equally unappealing Little Angel
latest report
robboj, dont forget that Chasseur would also translate into Jäger - and he might just be a master of something as well Laughing
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, must make more of an effort to meet up this year... especially for a 'bit' of Xmas cheer!
I will certainly be staying within the SKi Amadé area wink wink
ski holidays
flangesax, indeed, I will be 50 while away so may have the odd sherbert.

So anywhere within the 900 km then Smile
snow conditions
flangesax, Well seeing as I have a raffle winning stay to claim I'm happy to meet up with any other sHs.

What do you mean you are all busy washing your hair? All week Laughing
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, I didn't know that, though, indeed, his knowledge may be power?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy