Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort suitable for a toddler (summer)

Poster: A snowHead
Wasn't sure where to post this, so thought I may as well try here.

We've been walking/biking/trekking etc in the Alps (Morzine/Les Gets) before and are keen to do it again. Only problem is we now have a 2 year old in tow. We've got suitable carrying rucksacks etc for walks etc but my biggest concern is how to get up and down the mountains (other than car, and many places inaccessible by car).

Obviously, a gondola is ok but I'd welcome recommendations for a suitable resort where the gondolas are open in summer.

Not really up for risking a 2 year old on a chairlift and although we also have a front baby carrier, I think the bar would get in the way.

Anyone else done this and got any views?

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of resorts have lifts open in the summer for walkers, plus loads of other stuff to do with kiddies (swimming, tramploices, rides, donkeys, minigolf blah etc)

Try:
2Alpes
Morzine
Serre Chevalier
Chatel
Zermatt
Saas Fee
Chamonix

.... etc.

But avoid the purpose-built factory resorts bacause they don't have a lot going on in summer compared to some of the smaller/more organic places.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wengen
Zell am See
Kitzbuhel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs - 1800 has the transarc gondola,

1950 / 2000 the Vagere bubbles and aigulle rouge cable car (but last year latter was only Sunday and Wednesday).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In France, you might want to try Les Contamines.
We go over with the kids from Flaine (OK in summer but limited things to do) - great activity park, gentle walking and biking on the flat plus gondolas to the higher areas , good kid friendly restaurants, etc
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We live out here in Austria and buy the Dachstein Summer Card every season.
It is available to tourists that are staying in the Dachstein/Steirmark area (Ramsau, Schladming) about 1 hr from Salzburg.

The card gives you access to a selection of lifts in different towns, guided biking and walks, swimming and the World Championship Downhill Bike run at Schladming!

Very good value but a car is needed!

Last week we went for a 3 hour walk up and around a gorge with my 6 year old boy and my 3 year old daughter... just one of the many bits and bobs!

http://www.sommercard.info/en
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at Plan Peisey which might suit?

There are lots of walking trails direct from the door plus the Vanoise express lift (huge cable car) and a "yoghurt pot" lift which would be safe too going to Peisey Nancroix. There's a chair up too if you decide to have an adult walking day. There are restaurants, bars etc open in the summer and a summer entertainment program and a couple of local fetes during July and August. If you do choose to take the car, then there is a lake with a beach about a 15 minute drive away.

There are quite a few companies who offer Peisey in the summer but you might like to take a look at www.summerzest.co.uk who are child friendly and right by the Vanoise express.

Happy planning!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would second les contamines lovely village leisure park ,excellent choice of walks mountain bikeing short transfer from geneva, gondola open from begining of july Look at www.lescontamines.com or .net If interested pm me could help with accomodation.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
KSS, Our kids have grown up in Morzine and we have always taken them on the chairlifts in the summer from 6months! Once they were 18mths we put them in a child harness so we had a firm grip on them on the chair. Children are very aware that they have to sit still and if sat in between 2 adults should be fine. We take the dog (big labrador) on the chairs and put him in a dog harness which we can hold onto!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cable car open until the end of August in Chantemerle, and gondola in Briancon, but there are plenty of accessible walk without needing to take a lift at all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KSS, Wengen would be good in many ways - loads of lifts and trains to get you up high, and more-or-less car free, but it is a bit geriatric. It's also really busy and often a squash in the trains and lifts. I can't comment on the other suggestions as I haven't been there.

However, here's a slightly different suggestion. I have been to Ruhpolding in Germany a few times in winter and have thought it would been a good place to take small children in the summer. http://www.ruhpolding.de/

It is the Bavarian Alps, and the mountains are much smaller in scale than Morzine or Wengen. So if it is high mountains you want, it's not for you. However, I don't know how two-year olds cope with altitude. The mountains around Ruhpolding are all under 2,000m so that wouldn't be an issue.

There is only one gondola from the village, but there are others, e.g. Winkelmoos, which can be reached in a short bus ride. There is a good local bus service and lots of children's activities. The bus and pool entry are all free or cheap with the tourist card.

Ruhpolding is not a big, fashionable, resort, so accommodation is reasonably-priced and they work hard to keep you happy. Lots of Brits go there, so English is widely spoken. The village can be easily reached by train and is close to Munich and Salzburg. I normally DIY, but I think a couple of the major tour operators do summer packages. If you are interested, ask away and I will help if I can.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for suggestions - will look carefully at them all.

Snowandtrek: when you say child harness, whar sort do you mean?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KSS, We just used a toddler harness with rucksack but some of our friends got kids climbing harnesses and these are just as cheap (around £35) and have full support.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd second Morzine, I don't think you'll have a problem with a child on the front on the newer chairlifts, there's room on those to swing a rucsac round when you're skiing. The older ones (generally the two seaters and generally on the Swiss side) might be troublesome.

If you fancy a change I have fantastic childhood memories of Kitzbuhel and also the Bavarian Alps as suggested above, not so high maybe but still very beautiful. Germany has always seemed to me to cater well for children. Alternatively the Chamonix valley (easily reached from Morzine for a day trip) has a good variety. The cable cars at La Flegere and Le Brevent are open during Summer and there's gentler walking available at Col De Balme and Le Tour at the far end of the valley and around Les Houches and Les Contamines
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

But avoid the purpose-built factory resorts because they don't have a lot going on in summer compared to some of the smaller/more organic places.
rolling eyes Completely incorrect in the case of the presumably 'non-organic' (er, what is an an organic resort anyway Puzzled ) and purpose-built 'factory resort' of Tignes - which actually has a helluva lot going on in summer (including free lifts for mountain biking and hiking): See here: http://www.tignes.net/en/summer-sports-7.html
snow report
mountainaddict, Lizzard, Agreed with Mountainaddict - Tignes is fantastic in the summer for little ones. I was out for three weeks last year with my boy who was three at the time and we had loads of fun every day. The Sport Tignes card gives you access to swimming, lifts (other than chair lifts), trampolines, pedal boats and an entire part of bouncy castles (my lad thought he'd died and gone to heaven when he saw it)!!! As well as loads of stuff for adults to do. As for getting around without a car, the FREE bus runs regularly.

If you're interested in Tignes please email me for some more info (joanne.mountainsunltd@talktalk.net); there's only a minimal charge for 3 and under's throughout summer.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy