Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet sports equipment charges - up by 40pc

Poster: A snowHead
What Frosty the Snowman said. We booked 3 lots of sports equipment but took 4 pairs of skis, 2 went in one bag. We were well within the weight limits and never questioned or checked. One ski bag had a few jackets and ski pants stuffed in it as well.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MountainMaid, there's nothing as far as I can see in Easyjet's baggage policy to say that only sporting equipment can be in the ski bag. In fact it says you can split your weight allowance any way you like. So yes you can have one 32kg monster ski bag packed with whatever you like as long as it does actually contain 'sporting equipment' aswell and you have paid the relevant charge.

The only thing they are bothered about now is people booking to take skis/boards who actually don't take skis/boards i.e. people who are trying to pay the £25 ski carriage charge to get another 12kg of weight allowance as this is way cheaper than buying extra weight with them. So that's why they say that for every ski carriage charge you pay you must actually be carrying the skis.

As for checking the contents, no they don't in my experience but they do ask.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

your (sic) allowed a ski bag, plus boot bag, plus your cabin bag

Are you referring specifically to EJ here? (i.e. separate ski/boot bag). Do they have this in writing anywhere on their site? (apologies couldn't spot it at a glance!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ, sarah, thanks, useful.

I don't think boot bag is part of the deal, as per the above post. But I have noticed lots of people taking boot bags as hand-luggage lately, and it seems to fit inside the Easyjet frame.

BUT someone posted on my blog saying they'd had trouble at Grenoble with the weight issue...
http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/212012-easyjet-ski-carriage-my-attempt-at-beating-the-system/#comments
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A boot bag is allowed. Never had an issue. I stick my lid in the bootbag as well as the boots.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MountainMaid, the blog you refer to is about an event a year ago. EJ did a good job of clearing this up with their check in staff last year and they refunded anyone who had been erroneously charged. They made it perfectly clear on their website that just buying sports equipment (and no other hold luggage) gives you up to 32kg.

I have been just paying for a sports bag and taking my one big snowboard bag, weighing in at around 30kg, for the last 5 years. It was queried once, about 3 years ago so I asked for a supervisor, who then corrected the GVA check in girl.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
previous to reading this thread and goign on easy jet website i thought that when you buy sports luggage it means you can carry a 25 bag plus a 32 kg bag totalling at 57 kg but all it means is that you can carry up to 32 kgs, bloody rascals.

heading of on saturday going to have to reassemble luggage.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bar shaker wrote:
They made it perfectly clear on their website that just buying sports equipment (and no other hold luggage) gives you up to 32kg.

I have been just paying for a sports bag and taking my one big snowboard bag, weighing in at around 30kg, for the last 5 years. It was queried once, about 3 years ago so I asked for a supervisor, who then corrected the GVA check in girl.

Is this definitely correct? That you can take a 32kg sports equipment bag just by paying the ski carriage fee? and that this 32kg allowance does not have to be made up of a paid for hold bag too? And can you quote from Easyjet that this is definitely the case?

Reason I ask is that I had understood that by paying the ski carriage charge you effectively bought an extra 12kg in addition to your bought 20kg hold bag and that you could pack it all together hence the 32kg max big coffin bag. I had thought that if you only paid for sports equipment then you only got the 12kg.

Thanks snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have re-read the Easyjet baggage guidelines again. My understanding is right.

If you buy sports equipment carriage only then you get 12kg of weight. To get 32kg you have to have bought a hold bag in addition to your ski carriage, you can then pack it all together as one.

A couple of quotes from the site:

Quote:

Each passenger who pays for a hold bag can take up to 20kg of luggage

and

Quote:

Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter.

For example:

One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!

bar shaker I don't doubt that you have been doing as you say and getting away with it but from reading the website it's pretty clear to me that to get 32kg you have to buy both hold bag and ski carriage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah wrote:
I have re-read the Easyjet baggage guidelines again. My understanding is right.

If you buy sports equipment carriage only then you get 12kg of weight. To get 32kg you have to have bought a hold bag in addition to your ski carriage, you can then pack it all together as one.

A couple of quotes from the site:

Quote:

Each passenger who pays for a hold bag can take up to 20kg of luggage

and

Quote:

Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter.

For example:

One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!

bar shaker I don't doubt that you have been doing as you say and getting away with it but from reading the website it's pretty clear to me that to get 32kg you have to buy both hold bag and ski carriage.

Your understanding is incorrect. Buy ski carriage and you get 32kg, you do not need to buy hold baggage. There is no "getting away with it" - that is what Easyjet state on their website, looking at the very helpful diagram.

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html - see about half way down the page, where it says "Sports equipment – how does it work?" and they have a little man, plus a picture of ski carriage equals 32kg. That is the correct interpretation. That is definitely the correct information. That is what we have all been doing, and which works. Just print off that page and show them the diagram - it does not say that your 32kg has to be one bag, but if it has to be split across two bags for some inane reason at check-in, just check your boot bag in separately. Or check in a newspaper. The max weight of a single bag is 32kg, if you want to put everything in to one bag weighing 32kg check in an empty bag as your second bag, or split your 32kg across two bags. It's not a problem.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium, I hear what you're saying but the picture of the little man plus a picture of skis is directly underneath (and given to illustrate) the worded example which says that to get 32kg you have to have bought a hold bag too. It doesn't give a worded example of a passenger buying only ski carriage.

I think it's ambiguous. However I am glad that in practice it works and you are all taking up to 32kg for the cost of a single carriage Smile

On our recent trip we paid both hold and ski carriage to get 32kg as the OH made the booking and interpreted it as I had done Sad

I agree with you if you print that picture off they can't really argue with it.

Just wondered if anyone can see my interpretation of it?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, I can
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The last time I took 32kg on a single 'sports equipment only' booking was a few days ago, on new year's eve.
32.1kg to be precise - they didn't bat an eyelid: labelled it up as 'heavy' and sent me to 'oversize' to deposit it.

As it happened, it was actually all sports equipment, being 4 sets of skis and a pair of boots but they weren't to know that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, thanks, I am relieved!

But I have now seen this on the help section of their website:

Quote:

You pay for Baggage allowance
0 bags,1 sporting item • total allowance 1 item @ 32kg
• this item must be a genuine sporting good as defined

You have to dig to find this, but this is obviously very clear and much clearer than the little man picture and worded descriptions.

Monium, bar shaker, apologies Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, I've always believed folk when they say you don't need to pay for the hold bag, but I can how you interpreted it.
ski holidays
The OH will be delighted to know that we recently paid for three unnecessary hold bags on our New Year flights Shocked
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, thanks Smile It's so hard to believe though when you compare it with other airlines baggage policies.
snow report
Sad as well
snow conditions
sarah, My problem is I could never carry a 32kg ski bag so I always have to have a hold bag so I've never followed it that closely. I'm gutted that I have already paid for ski carriage for my March trip but I'll be leaving my skis in Austria when I go in January Sad
latest report
holidayloverxx, you possibly could if it was a wheeled coffin maybe, then there would be very little lifting required just a lot of dragging??
ski holidays
sarah, can't even manage that; it's the length as well - I'm a bit of a wimp - I sold my wheelie bag after 1 trip
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, shame Sad It is tough though, I lugged ours around at 23kg last week and it was hard going, so maybe I might not manage 32kg Laughing
ski holidays
I now leave booking my EJ luggage until the week I travel. A couple of reasons:
If you add stuff to your booking such as bags or skis then no surcharge applies on cards!
If you have to cancel the booking or have made an error on the booking then there is no baggage costs lost
Sometimes your baggage requirements change
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, good tip thanks, hadn't thought of that.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, I wish I had, but when I booked I never thought I'd be buying a set of skis to leave out there (more expense!). I think i'll do that in future anyway for the reasons you set out
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

If you add stuff to your booking such as bags or skis then no surcharge applies on cards!

I found that out yesterday. Very Happy
latest report
My snowboard bag is huge and has wheels on one end. At 30+kg you don't want to lug it far.
ski holidays
As well as printing out the luggage allowance page it may also be wise to print out this page:

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039

Including the critical sentence:

"You pay for Baggage allowance

0 bags,1 sporting item • total allowance 1 item @ 32kg

• this item must be a genuine sporting good as defined"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to be a bit thick about this but just to comfirm,
I have just been booked on a flight to Geneva with 3 others who had previously booked.
They had all booked on a hold bag each plus 1 x sports Equipment (for 1x snowboard)
Then my friend booked me a flight plus 1 x luggage, my question is.
Will i be ok to put my skis in with the other guy's snowboard and save me having to book my skis in at an additional cost of £50. Does any one see a problem with this?? Cheers.
snow report
Swell, A long as his hold bag plus ski/board bag don't exceed 32kg then he should be ok.
ski holidays
But from what i'm reading above, he already has a hold bag booked in @ 20kg
plus 1 x sports equipment @ 32kg is that correct or is it combined 32kg as you say Puzzled
Confused.com!
Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
Swell, If you book a flight with Easyjet you get a 20kg baggage allowance but cannot use it unless you book a bag. If you've booked a hold bag you get to take the 20kg on the plane if you also book sports baggage you get to take a second bag and a further 12kg on the plane. They don't really care how you split the total 32kg between the bags but it's a total of 32kg (they don't like it if the hold bag is over 20kg though). If you don't book a hold bag and just book a sports bag you get the same 20+12=32 allowance but it must be in one bag!
ski holidays
If you can you can put 2 pairs of skis in one of your mates ski bags and the combined hold bag and ski bag is less than 32kg then you are OK.
snow report
Got ya, Thanks.
ski holidays
The problem with the EasyJet baggage rules is the bottom diagram of the ski equipment illustrations - http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html

Surely 2 people with 1 hold bag and 2 ski equipment should be 64kg? Each person gets their 20kg allowance as standard, plus 12kg extra for the sports equipment allowance. Except once person has bought an extra hold bag so they can split their 32kg between the two bags.

It seems to directly contradict the 2 diagrams above it.

We've booked to go with EasyJet, 6 of us on 1 booking. If we were going separately I'd be confident in just booking a sports equipment bag and no hold bag, so I could have up to 32kg in one board bag with all my luggage inside. If they questioned it (though going by what everyone says on here, they shouldn't do), the can show them that page. But we're going with 6 of us altogether, and there's nothing on the site that explicitly says we should get 32kg each if we all just booked ski equipment bags + no hold luggage (which we don't need).
latest report
I've used skis2U this year to ship our skis to Tignes. Collected from home by Parcelforce, then Skis2U carry overland and deliver to your hotel. Cost for 2 pairs of skis in a double tube was less than £35 return.
snow report
PirateKitten, I think it is ambiguous too.

It seems clear if you have booked your flights independently of each other but if you have say 2 people on one booking it is unclear?

I have a flight booked in a fortnight for 2 and want to take one hold bag @ 20kg for my bro and one coffin sports bag @ 32kgs for me,thus avoiding the extra charge on the 2nd hold bag.

I honestly think it is up to the person on the desk on any given day but i think i will risk it. Fingers crossed. Confused
snow report
Hurtle wrote:

achilles, I use a wheeled board bag to pack my skis and clothes and just wheeled it along. (Without wishing to stir up that particular hornets' nest again my boots went into hand luggage.) The only problem was my helmet, which got damaged in the board bag: next time it's just going to hang from my hand luggage, I've seen loads of people doing that without any apparent difficulty.

Right way to go IMO.

Cram whatever you can into your 32kg limit (but beware that insurance would likely only cover 1 set)

Boots in your hand luggage along with helmet clipped to your bag, snow pants, goggles, socks (in your boots), and wear your jacket.

That way you've got everything you need in your hand luggage or on your person should your checked bag go astray
ski holidays
3rd trip running I've had 4 pairs in my large ski bag, plus 4 sets of polls. Granted one pair are 140's and another 153's and I had to take the bindings off mine but nobody batted an eye.

At £50 quid return I reckon that's excellent value over renting in the resort.

Easyjet have revolutionised flying from Scotland.
latest report
Fifespud, Yes it's good we all cram more sets in our skibag without a problem. Ive done that many times also.
I think the uncertainty is when you've got a group booking.

The 20 kg +12 kg extra for ski equipment seems to apply when you have more than one person on the booking, but if you book independently you get the 32 kg option just for paying for ski equipment.

I think I've got it right Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy