Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet sports equipment charges - up by 40pc

Poster: A snowHead
nope
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Swell, If you book a flight with Easyjet you get a 20kg baggage allowance but cannot use it unless you book a bag. If you've booked a hold bag you get to take the 20kg on the plane if you also book sports baggage you get to take a second bag and a further 12kg on the plane. They don't really care how you split the total 32kg between the bags but it's a total of 32kg (they don't like it if the hold bag is over 20kg though). If you don't book a hold bag and just book a sports bag you get the same 20+12=32 allowance but it must be in one bag!

This is pretty much the definitive answer and how I've always explained it to my groups when I organise trips away, and never had any check in clerk bat an eyelid!
It's the "EVERYONE is allowed 20kg of luggage automatically but have to pay to get it on the actual plane" that throws most folk off.

Joe
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That's how I'd like it to be, but there's nothing on the Easyjet site that can definitively confirm this for GROUP bookings (i.e. more than 1 passenger on the booking).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PirateKitten wrote:
That's how I'd like it to be, but there's nothing on the Easyjet site that can definitively confirm this for GROUP bookings (i.e. more than 1 passenger on the booking).

Thanks correct, the answer I got from one near the top of Easy.. was you have to do individual bookings to guarantee it, but its not one of the things they usually bother about.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EJ agents at Geneva let me off with 5kg over the allowance.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alans deep bath, must be your charisma
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just bumping this as I am right now booking flights.
I totally understand the easyjet system and have booked no "luggage" and 1 "sports equipment" as I have a cunning bag that takes everything. So that's me sorted for £50 (return) = 32kg. Very Happy

However, what I've found very annoying during the booking process - and what I fear will trip/confuse others into booking "luggage" as well (another £22 each way for no extra weight) is that the site is repeatedly warning me "You are travelling without any luggage. Pre-booking your luggage online is much cheaper than paying at the airport, and much less hassle."

Now ok, I'm taking "sports equipment" not "luggage" but I think that's a bit naughty as I bet it confuses people into paying more who were just taking 1 skis-and-clothes bag so don't need to Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 13-04-12 17:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wigan, shush... they need to pay my wages somehow wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ooooh... Just printing out the nice baggage diagram to take with me just in case and also found this: http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039
Which says "Please note that you are not allowed to pack sports equipment and clothes together."
Well, errr, I'll just not print that page, and report back on success or not later Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I also see this:
Quote:
Please note that ski boots cannot be carried as hand baggage

Maybe that's just to cover certain airport security requirements.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr Marmot, I think perhaps you've missed the point: Easyjet really don't care at all (add chosen expletives here...) you pay, they make money. I hate them with a passion and avoid using them whenever possible. Mutually beneficial as people like you can they use the seats I don't want. Result they make money and really don't care a FF: Shocked Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We found a great airline avoidance scheme this year
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, I used the same scheme to go to Tignes and back earlier this year, it was fun, and I'd do it again, but at this short notice (I'm travelling next week) easyjet prices were by far and away the cheaper (and of course quicker) option!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wigan, For us the flights aren't to bad, I don't worry about breakdown of the charges I just worry about the overall cost, the killer cost for us is the hire car or cost of getting to Les Arcs from Geneva. From the train to resort cost us nothing.

As for quicker? We travelled overnight so we lost no time on the way out and coming back the train was quicker as by travelling back overnight we got home early the following day to release M-in-l from minding the kids. If we had flown we would have had to fly home during the day losing a day skiing. The 'quicker' argument for flying isn't always there.

Having now done the train its an option more should consider, its ignored by way to many.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller, when they allow my dog to travel on Eurostar, I'll consider the train. It is far too complicated an option otherwise.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
thefatcontroller, when they allow my dog to travel on Eurostar, I'll consider the train. It is far too complicated an option otherwise.

Driving is the only option open.
snow report
Hells Bells, Can you fly by putting the dog in the hold or is that a no/no? Train also comes down to cost as if we are going with kids we would most likely drive but for us personally, flying is the last option.
snow report
thefatcontroller, that's a no-no. I'm not sure EJ etc are licensed carriers anyway.
latest report
wigan wrote:
Ooooh... Just printing out the nice baggage diagram to take with me just in case and also found this: http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4039
Which says "Please note that you are not allowed to pack sports equipment and clothes together."
Well, errr, I'll just not print that page, and report back on success or not later Madeye-Smiley

Can happily report that the 1 person + 1 sportsequip = 32kg system still alive and well. Took just the one bag with skis, clothes, food and all in it, weghed c.25kg. Accepted no questions at Liverpool. At Geneva the bag-drop guy asked if I had any luggage bags as well, I just said no. He didn't ask anything else Smile
snow conditions
Gosh, .......................... I just can't understand why I fly SwissAir/Lufthansa/BA.

I stopped flying "Low-Cost" when the bags/book-in/taxes/skis/oxygen cost more than a seasons lift pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET ................................................ don't use them! NehNeh
snow report
theskibob wrote:
Gosh, .......................... I just can't understand why I fly SwissAir/Lufthansa/BA.

I stopped flying "Low-Cost" when the bags/book-in/taxes/skis/oxygen cost more than a seasons lift pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET ................................................ don't use them! NehNeh

I have never paid more than a weeks ski pass with ryanair or easyjet and usually far less, never mind a season pass. Sometimes Swiss is cheaper and convenient, sometimes it's not.

why would I stop using them on the occasions when they are cheaper overall and the flight times and departure airport is more convenient rolling eyes
ski holidays
wigan wrote:
wigan wrote:

Can happily report that the 1 person + 1 sportsequip = 32kg system still alive and well. Took just the one bag with skis, clothes, food and all in it, weghed c.25kg. Accepted no questions at Liverpool. At Geneva the bag-drop guy asked if I had any luggage bags as well, I just said no. He didn't ask anything else Smile

Yep, no problem BHX to Grenoble and back a couple of weeks ago and sticking me and the kids on separate bookings with a ski bag on each booking meant we got 2x32kg so a big roller bag each and all the gear fit in no problem. With the wonderful logic of budget airline baggage rules if we'd been on the same booking our 2 ski bags could only have weighed 32kg total! If they'd argued all the clothing was sporting equipment as it would be used for skiing plus was needed as padding to ensure the safety of skis, boots and snowboard.
latest report
Do BA & Swiss / Crossair still match & match on some routes? I used to fly to Basel / Mullhouse quite often and although I always booked BA, often as not Crossair would be the carrier. What would happen if you booked with BA, turned up with your skis and Crossair was the actual carrier (assuming Crossair don't charge for ski carriage like SwissAir).
latest report
Bigtipper, transit vans full of nice expensive skis crossing the boarder. That's one clever entrepeneur. Laughing
ski holidays
theskibob wrote:

It's a chuffin long wwlk to London.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
theskibob wrote:

It's a chuffin long wwlk to London.

MAN to Munich/Zurich/Geneva/Lyon/Milan.

I only need to go to London for Turin/Innsbruck/Salzburg.

Benefits of scheduled............ 23kg allowance included (no extra fees), Swiss/Luft allow FREE ski carriage (BA allow ski carriage if it's not another/extra bag over your allowance), NO stupid online/airport check-in fees, check-in an hour before departure, dedicated flight ckeck-in not cattle-class queues, choice of convenient flight times.

Best part ............. Avios!
snow conditions
theskibob, but it's the overall price/experience that counts for me and often ryanair wins for me
snow conditions
theskibob, who flies Manchester Geneva? I couldn't find any direct flights with a non-low-cost carrier. Not that I'm terribly bothered - I must be the only person in the world who's never had a bad experience with Easyjet, Jet2 or Ryanair! Mind you I don't take skis - I do take my bike in the summer though...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easyjet are fine. Only used Jet2 for one return but they were fine then.

You do need to make sure that the overall price is still cheaper than others, but they normally are.
snow conditions
Pre Xmas flights MAN to GVA £120 return fully inclusive withy Swiss. £240 for 2 pax!

Jet2 LBA to GVA same dates £175 BEFORE you start to add on baggage/skis/credit card/online-checkin. That lot totals £525 for 2 pax plus bags and skis.
latest report
theskibob, as I said, you do have to check it is actually cheaper. IME it often is, but obviously sometimes it's not. People aren't thick.
ski holidays
theskibob, Swiss is via Zurich though, isn't it? Just depends how flexible you are on dates or whether you want to spend an 2 or 3 hours travelling. Swiss charge €35 per flight for skis, but you do get your 23kg normal bag inclusive.

I just did a similar search for 22-29 December (i.e. a typical xmas week) and EJ is pretty much the same price for 2 people with a bag each and skis - but of course a direct flight and actually more convenient flight times.

I really don't think there's one "best" way of booking flights - I always book direct if I possibly can because we travel with kids, but I very nearly booked Swiss last year from manchester because it was significantly cheaper (until EJ announced their Leeds prices).
snow report
andy from embsay, skis are free on Swiss - where do get £35 from?
latest report
holidayloverxx, ah - you're right - should read right to the bottom (it seems the low cost carriers aren't the only ones with confusing t&c's!) - they charge €35 for "small" sports items but NOT for golf clubs or ski gear. Weird...

Anyway - the point remains - you need to balance up whether a saving (if indeed there is one) is worth having to take 2 flights and maybe take 5hrs to get from Manchester to Geneva instead of 2 (assuming you're going to Geneva, of course - and we are next year). We've paid £120 each Manchester-Geneva at half term including baggage (but no skis) because we booked on the day the flights were released, and £100 Leeds Geneva in Jan. We've got mates who are trying to book half term now and every direct flight is c£300 - yet they can go Lufthansa for £150, so for a family of 4 well worth considering the 4:30 journey instead.

I'm not a low-cost vs premium fundamentalist - but living in the north, not carrying skis and more often than not skiing in Cham or PdS then usually a low-cost carrier usually works better for me - however I always check Skyscanner and see what's what.
snow report
My return from Manchester to Chambery only cost £148 with Jet2 including ski carriage. Pretty reasonable I thought.

If I'd booked a week earlier it would have been about £40 cheaper though!
snow report
bobmcstuff, yup, less than £500 for us, with skis, for four. Taxi transfer wasnt much cheaper Puzzled so we ended up doing the buses.
ski holidays
I liked the chairs on Jet2 - obviously designed to minimise weight - they were very slender so there was lots of leg room.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, yes, I liked that too. I thought the planes were very smart
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
I liked the chairs on Jet2 - obviously designed to minimise weight - they were very slender so there was lots of leg room.

Does that mean you have to take your own padding....... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
bobmcstuff, yup, less than £500 for us, with skis, for four. Taxi transfer wasnt much cheaper Puzzled so we ended up doing the buses.

Yeah I hate that, there were 3 of us going into Chambery so transfers were looking more pp than the flights! Unbelievable.

Ended up going Altibus which was a right clusterf*ck. Bribed our way onto a Crystal transfer on the way back as Altibus never showed (not really there fault - roads closed on and off for avy control). Pretty glad, the Altibus crowd were already there so the coach station was full of greasy French yoofs smoking continuously wearing those disgusting shiny black puffer jackets that someone forgot to tell them look shite, like you're wearing a bin bag. Altibus was a very uncivilised experience.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy