Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads on Twitter?

Poster: A snowHead
rayscoops, you appear to be jumping to whatever conclusion provides you the greatest opportunity for Mail-reader-esque umbrage.

If I've gone to the trouble of obscuring the Après Zone from Google for 7 years, why would I suddenly feed it out to Twitcher?

rayscoops wrote:
if I understand twitter correctly it is the personal sound-bite views of individuals or corporate entities or whom ever and such tweets are open for all to see or all to subscribe to receive.
Then no you clearly don't understand it correctly. What you describe is known as 'blogging' and while use of Twitcher has been referred to as 'microblogging', to regard it only as that is to completely miss the significance of it as a system.

rayscoops wrote:
Whilst this is being discussed I get the impression that the decision has already been made, and the issue is simply how to implement it.
What a ridiculous accusation - be sure now, not to let anything I actually write influence your 'considered judgement' that anything and everything that might (or might not) be done will be disastrous rolling eyes

I engaged in this topic because,
as I wrote:
I've not yet seen an application that will clearly benefit snowHeads enough to warrant the development time
but I'm interested in the possibilities. I'm looking for informed and interesting opinion by which to test and modify my own, as that is how IMHO good decisions are made.

While I am as interested in your considered opinion as anyone else's, if all you want to do is troll the topic with assiduously uninformed comment and unfettered negativity then, quite frankly, I'd prefer you left the conversation to more reasonable contributors.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread, but does anybody have some examples we can look at of similar forums that do make use of Twitter? I'm not a big twitcher myself, I just follow a few clubs, individuals and companies (oh and now SHs wink), so I can't quite envisage what use it would be to a forum.
Who's combining it with a forum already?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum wrote:
As I don't tweet, I haven't been following this thread, but read the last couple above.

I have to say the concept of:

Quote:

Should snowHeads have the intention of lifting posts and presenting them on twitter in an edited form

bothers me, and I think I would also take rayscoops, viewpoint on this:

Quote:

I would hope that this would be announced in advance because in such circumstances I would remove myself from snowHeads and reinvent myself as a new anonymous member
Aaaargh!
See? Exactly proves my point.

Megamum, before you 'throw your lot in' with rayscoops, I suggest you actually read what I wrote above: the stuff that he's managed to both respond to and completely ignore the content of at the same time rolling eyes - in fact, if you want to take part in this conversation (or any other) then I'd recommend that the minimum level required to 'inform your perspective' such that you would not be totally wasting the time of anyone bothering to read your post would be to actually be aware of the content of the conversation so far rolling eyes

Take, for example:
Megamum the names you called me in this topic are disgusting and utterly unacceptable. I insist you take them back!

So... would you come along, read only this post and reply "I agree with admin, I certainly should apologise unreservedly for the horrible things I said." without bothering check above to see whether I was talking bollox?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wigan, Goneboarding is an example that has all the links to soc-med they can muster: http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/forum/fs-brand-new-quiksilver-exit-gore-tex-jacket-black-medium/threadid/36856/showthread.aspx

Before the ski shows, they somehow had more registered members than us. We caught them up by the efforts of all the snowHeads who helped out at the shows. Then, by organic growth throughout the season, we now have about 1700 more than them.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a random rummage on Goneboarding threads, didn't find any that had been tweeted, all just had "0" by them still.
Off subject: They have a fatbob too! (But not ours methinks!)

admin wrote:
Before the ski shows, they somehow had more registered members than us. We caught them up by the efforts of all the snowHeads who helped out at the shows. Then, by organic growth throughout the season, we now have about 1700 more than them.

Not that it's a competition wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, OK, I take big hint and have gone and read the thread. At least I did admit I hadn't previously done so Madeye-Smiley .

I take the point that anything can already by cut and pasted into anyone's twitter feed, but I think there is an issue that this takes 'more effort' than having some thing automatically set up to do the same - the former being probably not used as often, the latter being rather more instant and therefore perhaps ultimately taken more for granted, with more potential for embarassment if someone forgets about it and posts something they shouldn't.

Maybe users should be able to click a button to tweet their own posts to their own twitter feeds (or to a SH's feed - would this be general or logged to SH user X?), but I don't think a user should as easily be able to tweet someone else's posting.

Maybe a better option would be a specific thread which copies to a SH twitter feed if it is decided that we need something.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wigan wrote:
Not that it's a competition wink
Of course... well, it wasn't... until we were beating them! Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wigan wrote:

Off subject: They have a fatbob too! (But not ours methinks!)

barsteward - my name was probably in active use on a snowboarding forum before him.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't really know of forums that "tweet" as such, just sites that tweet, that happen to have a forum. Most of those tend to be just the title of a news or review article on the site, and a link. Any more than about 5-6 such "tweets" per day just gets annoying. road.cc is about the only one I've seen where they "tweet" a forum message from time to time, but they tend to be where they're spreading the word (eg stolen bike alert, or answered question thread).

Need to remember Twitter isn't spreading the word to a wider audience. It's more a case of putting something into the feeds of those who follow, which is a limited and well defined audience (ignoring possible occaisional re-tweets). Unless google etc. searches come up with tweets, it's a message that goes in to a kind of "inbox" and then drops off in to a black hole. So if it were me... I'd limit twittering to just time sensitive interesting things, eg. new news, bash announcements, maybe current piste conditions. It's all extra work for limited gain. Unless 1000 people find sH via twitter rather than Google, which is probably seriously unlikely (although saying that, road.cc has about 4000+ followers, but the forum gets about 6 posts per week).

all imho.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin wrote:
wigan, Goneboarding is an example that has all the links to soc-med they can muster: http://www.goneboarding.co.uk/forum/fs-brand-new-quiksilver-exit-gore-tex-jacket-black-medium/threadid/36856/showthread.aspx

Just had a mooch around here Mad , first of all on reflection maybe (no definitely) my previous posts on this subject were a tad -ive. But Goneboarding endorse most of my concerns, but after reading Admin's response (and lets face it, whatever happens will come from Admin Towers) I am re-assured that snowHead 's is and will continue to grow in the RIGHT direction.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy, The social guru that I listened to at the seminar recently suggested that to be social you needed to tweet once daily, Facebook update once weekly and blog once monthly - using that as a yardstick 6 tweets a day seems excessive.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
admin, You seem to have missed the fact that I have not said that snowHeads on Twitter is a bad thing, in fact my very first post stated that it was the natural progression

I have noticed that you seem to be less than punctual when addressing other issues or disputes within threads over the years and normally arrive quite late in a debate, yet in just a few pages of a fairly non-descrpt subject you are all over this topic like a rash and it is this level of involvement that suggests that snowheads on Twitter has already been considered if not quite a done deal, and lets be honest - it is the next natural progression for snowHeads so I would be amazed if in the next year or so snowHeads does not appear on Twitter. Done deal - well you refer to '@snowHeads' so is it not already there ?

Just because I have raised some questions about how it may work and such questions do not fall in line with your pre-determined view on this, it does not make that Trolling, I have simply raised some, imv, valid points, and done so in a polite manner and would ask that you respect that and reply in kind rather than in the sarcastic and aggressive tone that you have adopted.

I note that you have suggested that it may not actually be snowHeads management or the actual poster that would be tweeting posts from snowHeads on to Twitter, but snowHeads memebers tweeting each others posts
admin wrote:
Still, I'm open to suggestions ... if there is functionality that you'd find really useful. A 'Twitch this' button next to each post maybe? So if you find something someone says interesting, you can share it yourself with the twitching masses.

All I ask is that if this is the course snowHeads is going to follow that it is done so up front rather than slipped in the back door so that any one who does not want their posts tweeted by others can consider their respective options, such as withdrawing from snowHeads or adjusting ones public profile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Now snowHeads has tweeted should I re tweet snowHeads tweets or will that be breaking snowHeads contributors terms and conditions copyright? Laughing
@montalbert73
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

to '@snowHeads' so is it not already there ?

Laughing It's been there since May 2007!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, I'm not sure which bubble your internet land lives in....

So... I log onto Facebook.... write a status update... this is then fed to an rss fee/headline on my site... this is then (or rather was as I need to update the process) to my twitter account....

And I have copied and pasted this thread's URL as I think it is interesting... so ahhhhh... now not one of your posts but everyone is being 'shared'!.... and everyone elses.... oh no!!!!!

http://www.austrian-adventures.com/news.htm
http://www.austrian-adventures.com

And maybe you are forgetting that it is all 'out there' already... http://tinyurl.com/4377dsx

And too all those who are oh-so-commercially-concerened.... yes I did have the original intention of using this entire thread just to write those 2 urls! Toofy Grin ... but don't actually read the content as it is out of date!... infact the only thing on that page that is current is the feeds from facebook!

[edit due to stupidity... look below]

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 20-06-11 8:58; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
rayscoops,
Quote:
I get the impression that the decision has already been made, and the issue is simply how to implement it.
Really? I don't get that impression at all. Confused

boredsurfin wrote:
Quote:
to '@snowHeads' so is it not already there ?
Laughing It's been there since May 2007!
latest report
flangesax, ERROR 404, The Page Cannot Be Found (the... /news)
Laughing
snow report
rayscoops,
Quote:

There are no Top Tweets for @glassartbyraycollins.
View all Tweets.

I thought your blog would have a twitter feed wink
latest report
flangesax, Sorry to burst your bubble but I think you maybe missing the point of twitter; it is intended not to have to trawl through links, webpages, lengthy blogs etc but to get a short sharp hit of news or view or whatever. I shall be jumping on the twitter band wagon myself soon because I see its benefits for myself and certainly snowHeads too.

Boredsurfin gets how the use of Twitter may be twisted wink

great sites though !!!!!

http://www.austrian-adventures.com/news
http://www.austrian-adventures.com
snow report
boredsurfin, next step in world domination Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm possibly the one guilty of distracting admin to matters Facebook and Twitter. As you would guess, I do talk over stuff with him occasionally. I have been thinking about Facebook and Twitter for the company - and so when this tread came up, I raised it with him during one of our chats. I got the impression that he was interested, but I didn't think any new activity was a done deal.
latest report
rayscoops,
Quote:

flangesax, Sorry to burst your bubble but I think you maybe missing the point of twitter;

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes (yes three of them).

The point I was oh so failing to make is that all of the reference to posts being publicised or privatised... copyrighty and all that mumbo-jumbo... they are all out there already... so by just updating facebook... it has alerted all facebook friends/likes of this interesting thread... then it reproduced the update onto my homepage as an rss feed (which you can also subscribe to)....then (it used to) pop it onto twitter as well.... no link trawling... just a quick staus update that spreads itself about.
latest report
Lordy, this one has legs. The way I envisioned Twitter being used (and which I have already stated in this thread, but no-one seems to have picked up on) is as a "road sign" pointing to SH. Start simple, place a link to the newsletter on Twitter. If the newsletter contains something the Twitter user thinks is interesting or relevant to others then they might "re-tweet", thereby showing the link to all that particular tweeters followers. They might also re-tweet. Before long 100's or 1000's of people might discover SH. Some of those might join, or contribute, or go on a SH bash, or be interested in advertising on the site. The argument about keeping SH as some sort of exclusive club will continue, but I'd hazard a guess that any potential downside is more than compensated for by increased revenues.

admin, interesting stat-attack. Can I ask if the increase in traffic indicates a similar increase in revenue? If you're completely happy about the finances and don't want any more cash then great, let's stop the discussion now. If, however, you have any plans to upgrade what you must admit is a rather dated interface and feature-set then I imagine you are looking for ways if creating new revenue streams or maximising the current ones. More users is pretty much the only way to achieve this. Twitter may deliver more users, it may not, but I don't think it's a huge stretch to start using a facility that already exists.

And to comment on the fear that SH posts will be copied to Twitter - I've not seen this before, and it's not something I'd advocate. Linking to interesting threads, however, I think is something that might work. Weather and resort reports are perfect for this, the annual Tignes thread, for example, is very useful for people going to the ESK. Remember SH is already a public forum, searchable via Google and viewable by anyone in the world with an internet connection. If it's privacy you're worried about, then you're using the wrong method of communication I'm afraid.

And please, enough of the uninformed Daily Mail-esq fear and doubt comments about Twitter and it's insidious effect on society (the same people probably said the same about the internet when they first hear about it, and yet here we all are). For the record - You are not required to post your every thought, in fact you are not required to "tweet" at all. You are not bombarded with irrelevant rubbish, unless you want to be. It can be (as it is for me and many millions of other users) an very useful method for being informed and kept up to date on a number of subjects I'm interested in. It would take me hours each day to read all the web-sites I'm interested in to see if there's anything relevant, it takes me 30 seconds to review the "summary" view in twitter and choose to click through to the posts I'm interested in at that time, or mark for reading at a later time. It's extremely easy to use (certainly easier to use and navigate around than SH is, sorry admin), and is only as intrusive as you want it to be (much like SH).
snow conditions
achilles,
Quote:

I have been thinking about Facebook and Twitter for the company

My recent experience of Facebook is that setting up a basic business page is quite easy and becomes a foc 'stationery' advert unless you want to do more with it.
Twitter on the other hand needs much more in terms of input/involvement.
I am increasingly becoming aware of subtle and some not so subtle b2b adverts on linked-in. As these annoy me, particularly ones dressed up as discussions, linked-in is not an avenue I shall persue at the moment.
ski holidays
Quote:

It's (Twitter) extremely easy to use (certainly easier to use and navigate around than SH is, sorry admin), and

ha ha, I find the exact opposite at the moment, but given time who knows.
Is there an easy guide to Twitter written in plain UK English anywhere?
latest report
boredsurfin, comfort in the familiar and fear of the unknown. Go for it son, take a leap of faith...
snow report
Dr John wrote:
boredsurfin, comfort in the familiar and fear of the unknown. Go for it son, take a leap of faith...

Easy for you aggressive youngsters, us old folk take time in these things.....
snow conditions
Quote:

youngsters

If only, my friend, if only...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, http://business.twitter.com/basics/what-is-twitter
snow report
I'm sitting here with my phone next to me... doing other stuff (believe it or not)... wouldn't it be handy to have a push notification for a subscribed thread.. then I wouldn't have to push the refresh button!
ski holidays
Dr John, Thanks for that link, plenty to read through.
ski holidays
Quote:

They might also re-tweet. Before long 100's or 1000's of people might discover SH.

Firstly, only a limited audience will see the 1st hand tweet, and for a limited duration before it "drops off the radar". You know exactly the upper limit of that audience... it's the number of followers.

How many of those people will re-tweet an interesting ski-related news item? or weather/piste update? or bash announcement? Probably a very small minority.

Of those re-tweets, how many recipients will be Skiers/Boarders/etc.? (probably very few) and of those, how many will already be a Snowhead (either a follower or a non-follower) ? probably quite a significant portion.

You won't attract new users to Snowheads via twitter. Not in the 100's or 1000's at least.

You may give occasional visitors (that just happen to follow sH) an occasional "poke" to stimulate them in to visiting the site if something interesting happens.

You might get a few inquisitive visits if you do lots of "spam follows", eg following everyone that starts following other ski-related sites, or following all new followers of (for example) all the chalet owners that have a twit feed.
snow report
andy, blimey, that's a large amount of effort you've put into being entirely negative, using some quite massive assumptions to support a seemingly entrenched position. I'm not saying "do X and Y will definitely happen", I'm saying "Let's try X and see what happens".

What is your objection to trying something new please?
ski holidays
Dr John, Thats a bit harsh, @snowheads is on track, one tweet in 2007 one in 2009 and one 2011. Consistent if nothing else Laughing
Lets see what 2013 brings snowHead
ski holidays
Dr John, not negative, just realistic.

No objections to trying something new. Only objections to putting effort in to something with potentially very little gain.

If there was a weatherheads feed with handy up to date piste status alerts, I'd follow it (even if it was just someone vetting and retweeting such tweets that have been hashtagged). If the snowheads twit feed was populated with useful tweets, then I'd follow that too. If the feed has more than about 5 or so tweets per day, I'd unfollow.

Exactly the same criteria as all the other entities that I follow.
latest report
Dr John, or anyone else are you using this?
http://www.tweetdeck.com/desktop/
latest report
boredsurfin, no, but was reading about it over the weekend. Not sure I use Twitter enough to justify, but I'll try it and let you know what I think.
snow report
Dr John, Thanks I just thoought it was for twit a/cs but seems to do Fb and Linked-in as well
snow report
boredsurfin, yep, I'm twitter/FB/linked-in'd up now. I like the interface, the fact that 3 x browser tab views are aggregated into 1 separate app window. I'll give it a day or two to see how it works out.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
...because Twitter is very quick and easy to view on mobile devices.

^ This. I never take my laptop on hols and rely on my phone for access to the web. A sH snow report Twitter feed would be useful.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy