Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads on Twitter?

Poster: A snowHead
admin wrote:

Clearly you are all equally real snowHeads (Except harrisontherabbit whose existence is entirely dependent upon him continuing to imagine himself.)

Well, I couldn't possibly argue with that. And I'm happy to know that my enigmatic existence is at least enough to demolish a weak hypothesis. However, it's a statement that has left me pondering.

If, for any reason, I were to stop imagining myself, then my existence (past and present) would cease to be. As such, all that I have imagined must also cease to be. What would be the fate of all those snowHeads that I have imagined that I've met? More so, what of those whose posts I have imagined I have read? And indeed, what would be the fate of snowHeads itself?

I can only conclude that without me, snowHeads would vanish into the ether. So I am clearly the most important person here. So it's my opinion that counts, eh?

Well, in that case, let it be known that I have no strong opinions either way on the subject of Twitter. You may do as you wish.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
harrisontherabbit, Very Happy
Now slightly grateful not to have met you (yet). My existence is not dependent on yours [phew!]
Can't sat I'm terribly bothered about Twitter, but I can see the advantage for mobile users. However, all of these media need effort. If the people who are really keen on this idea feel like taking some responsibility for it then fair enough. Otherwise it ain't going nowhere. The Sh FB page is nothing but advertising from what I can see.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whenever I ponder solopsism I am always ashamed that I couldn't have imagined a better existence.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tiffin wrote:
Whenever I ponder solopsism I am always ashamed that I couldn't have imagined a better existence.

post of the month, mate. Round of applause snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tiffin, Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AV forums allows you to tweet posts (see bottom of each post). Note also the icons at the bottom of each page.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax wrote:
I'm sitting here with my phone next to me... doing other stuff (believe it or not)... wouldn't it be handy to have a push notification for a subscribed thread.. then I wouldn't have to push the refresh button!

I have a little handy macro (I'm a programmer) that "blocks" almost all automatice "push" web sites! Smile

When I want information, I can afford to push a button, at the time of my choosing!

Some TV channels have a little bar at the bottom having "breaking news" scrolling across. I'm sure some of you read every item before it roll off the edge of the screen? rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dr John wrote:
What is your objection to trying something new please?

Sorry to be rude, tweeter isn't the ONLY thing "new" out there. There will be others too, every year or two.

There had been others in the past too. Anyone remember geocity, myspace? They were the hotest of their time.

How much time and effort do YOU personally want to waste to chase each and every fad?

It is admin's venture. It's his judgement whether it's worthy of his time and effort. Seems he's of the opinion it's a relativelly low priority. But if you're so convince about the potential of tweeter, you may offer to do the work, in exchange for a portion of the income generated from the traffic?

Put your money (or time) where you mouth (or finger) is!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
twitter yep, i'm there @solutions4feet

was that the question
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, might be to your advantage to actually spell the tech right... this may help in convincing me that you know what you are going on about a bit better.
myspace took a pasting from a much better social networking site; called facebook.

Since then it has changed its angle and is now a home for indie music and bands to share their wares. Geocities.... I remember having a free website with them... but it was just a place for that wasn't it?... like yahoo or angelfire?

You are right, things evolve and as hosting has got cheaper and 'free' site hosting/building more restrictive plus the fact that blogging has been invented, most people who want to build a 'real' website will pay a host.

I think that facebook and twitter are here to stay (in a big way). The fact that these share and co-oporate with all your tech is what creates the longivity.
Even my Ps3 talks to facebook!

IMO the trend will eventually turn so that you only sit at a pc at work.... browsing and networking will be all steered towards the 'smart' generation of tech.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

But if you're so convince about the potential of tweeter, you may offer to do the work, in exchange for a portion of the income generated from the traffic?

So if I read it right, you're suggesting that in return for maintaining the SH Twitter feed I get, let's say, half the additional revenue it generates, including subscription and advertising. That's a remarkably generous offer you're making on Admin's behalf.

I estimate that it will take up around 1/2 hour of my time a week. If it generates an additional £100 per week, that's £50 for me in return for 1/2 hours work. Sounds good.

You state you're a programmer. I hope you don't do your own accounts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But by maintaining a feed outside of the website, to save people the effort of participating in the forum threads (eg for latest conditions etc. in resort X or Y), there'll be less ad impressions and less click-thru so admin would lose say £100 Wink and since half of -£100 is -£50, you'd have to pay admin for the privilege of doing that 1/2 hour's work Wink

I still don't see how a twitter feed can bring in more users, when the vast majority of the twitter followers will already be clients.

Maybe that's a question for those small businesses out there that are using twitter (eg chalet owners, the inside out guys, ...)... How many of your guests or clients found your site because of the twitter feed? (or facebook page?), and how many of your twitter followers were already clients or friends, etc. ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andy, Twitter might not bring many people in, you may well be right, but it's worth having a look, or at the very least discussing it. I don't buy your argument about fewer click-thru's though. The Twitter feed (as I see it) isn't an open forum to replace the SH site forum, but it's a way of attracting attention to it in using a medium that's currently very popular, the most popular and fastest growing web-site in the world in fact, and it's free.

If it doesn't work out then it can be dropped as the cost of nothing more than a little endeavor, and we can all go back to the serious work of discussing definition of smart casual dress, Jamie Oliver recipes, what was on telly last night, and the occasional skiing related thread.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, I thought the same as you but we actually get a fair few contact us through it, turns out social media is a powerful tool. Infact almost 50% of our next camp comes from a tweet, quite amazing when you think about it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't believe that Twitter will be a great income generator for the sH site. Where it may help is with 'brand' loyalty and presence — by providing a useful service to sH members (e.g. snow conditions). Granted, sH members are, by nature, already loyal to snowHeads… but don't underestimate the value of additional perks! Added to which, if you get your snow report from the sH Twitter feed, then the sH brand is present in your mind, rather than than a report provided by a different service.
ski holidays
Ah, Dr John beat me to it.
ski holidays
andy,
Quote:

I still don't see how a twitter feed can bring in more users, when the vast majority of the twitter followers will already be clients.

I'll give you a hint... Social NETWORKING
snow report
I personally remain neutral to negative but this may help shed some light - or am I too late?

http://wallblog.co.uk/2011/06/28/twitter-launches-twitter-for-newsrooms/
ski holidays
Another class tweet from Chemmy https://twitter.com/ChemmySki
snow conditions
Twitter is worth it for Danny Baker alone, @prodnose.
latest report
One finds the tweets from HM queen_uk quite amusing. "Yes, one's expenditure dropped by £1.8million last year. This was achieved by purchasing gin in bulk." and "Greek Prime Minister on the phone. Wants to know if one can "lend him a tenner". Awkward."
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy