Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing 24th dec 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone,quick question,booking skiing for 24th dec this year for myself and fiancé,she has never skied before and I have boarded once in Andorra jab past,we are looking at kaprun Austria out of Belfast or livingo Italy out of Dublin,which would be best for snow and pistes,any advice would be greatly appreciated......thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ps if there isn't much difference would it be worth going all the way to Dublin for livingo.....???
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
24th Dec I'd still be looking for a high altitude resort to guarantee best possible snow. It's Xmas, but given the weird season we've just had, snow is anything but guaranteed at lower level resorts.

So, whichever is higher up or has access to higher slopes.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks snowhead,was looking at snow history of livingo on igluski and it has good reports last few seasons in dec even on lower slopes,think kaprun is high altitude also and it's from Belfast and only 1.5 hours transfer to resort where as 2 hour drive til Dublin then 4.5 hours transfer to resort,even know more hassle livingo looks safer bet,any other info would be great cheers pal
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tman, It's snowing in kaprun today and forecast for heavy snow later this week, so I think by 24th Dec you don't need to worry about snow.
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun

Just to the east of Kaprun is the ski amade area, we often have snow down to the valley (750m) by early Nov, many ski resorts in the area that top out at around 2000m are open from Nov onwards. Head high up if you want to and expect more wind and less visibility.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Just to the east of Kaprun is the ski amade area

waynos, sssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for info waynos,is the runs higher up blues or wouldthey all be red and black,she is total beginner and I have only boarded once so were looking pretty easy runs as I would be with her all the time,is there anywhere else you would recommend at that time of year for us????
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Tman,

The most important thing for you to get right is lessons for your fiance. As a complete beginner she must have professional instruction. Once you've decided on the resort do some research on the local ski schools to ensure she's going to get the best on offer to make her first expereince of snow the best it can possibly be.

I talk with experience. I did the above for my now wife. She's now addicted and we go skiing twice a year. A friend on the other had tried to teach his wife. She nearly killed herself (and him !) and now refuses to go. He therefore doesn't ski anymore.

Good luck and have a great trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice snow monkey
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tman, totally with SnowMonkey69, trying to teach a loved one is HARD work and they sulk like you wouldnt believe! Book both of you into lessons - you've boarded in Andorra for a week - there is plenty more to learn Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Living with a loved one is hard work haha,don't worry guys I wouldn't try to teach her on my own,she would def be having lessons,I am grand on the board and just need to build more confidence which will just come with more board time,checking other posts here
And alot are saying livingo has usually good early season snow,ps should I book early or would there be bargains to be had booking last minute and would there be availability ????
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Either book now, or wait until last minute. If there's just two of you then last minute isn't an issue, and it sounds like you will go wherever the best deals are anyhow.

Given the choice at this point, I'd be backing Kaprun due to altitude.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tman, Kaprun has two ski areas, the local hill called Maiskogel which should be fine and further up the valley the Kitzsteinhorn glacier which will be fine, no doubt about enough snow up there. The only issue could be that at the glacier altitude it is very cold so don't skimp on clothing. There are plenty of nice beginner runs on both with Zell am See about 7 kms away on the same pass. Very pretty village setting and will be a nice place for Xmas. One other thing to bear in mind is that 24th is THE day in Austria and Germany, not the 25th, wont affect ski package clients though.

Xmas can be tricky to wait and see. It is not as popular as New Year but if early snow is good you could end up with very little choice. I can't be sure but I think the only bargains last year were the short 4 nighters that arose because the big days fell on the Saturday which is normally changeover day. As far as I can see they are not around this year.

Many people were of the view that those who skied Xmas or New Year 2010/11 got the best conditions of the winter in Austria.

IMHO unless you are very fussy about accommodation etc it would do no harm to hold off until early Autumn, whilst keeping a close eye on availability.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tman, I'd go for Livigno. High altitude skiing directly from the village and excellent snow record for the last few years. A reasonably good sized ski area. The transfer is long but no pain no gain . Kaprun is a nice village but if the snow low down is poor everyone in the area will head for the glacier- which you have to get a bus to - and it will be packed. Also gets very cold up there. No day trippers in Livigno, too far. Kaprun has a good nightlife.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guys thanks alot for all the comments it's been great help to me,def swaying towards livingo now,totally got the snowboarding bug and can't wait to get back on the slopes again.... Blush
snow report
Tman, I have no idea about either area. I would suggest dry slope lessons for you both before you go. Your girlfriend will gain confidence and you will both go on holiday starting at the same level. Going on a ski holiday as a total beginner is a huge waste of time/money in my opinion.

snow report
i did a Livgno trip with daughter who was a complete beginner, lessons are at Village level, and generally only 1/2 day (morning fo beginners) so expect to be split up quite a bit, and the first few days while she is gaining confidence you will be limited to the village nursery slopes in afternoons, would suggest San Rocco end of village.
by the 3rd day she may be able to go to the top slopes, and on the Mottelina side you can ski the 7km blue run back, great for confidence building.
don't be put off by the transfer, it is very scenic if coming from Milan, (think the last james bond film opening car chase) and the return journey is in middle of night so your asleep
snow report
Defo going to take a few
Dry slope lessons before we go,thanks again guys,just a pity we haven't got an indoor snow centre in northern ireland to practise slot more..... Sad
ski holidays
Tman, welcome to snowHeads.

Can't comment on Kaprun, but Livigno is, as has been said, high (1800m+) with a pretty decent snow record IIRC. From personal experience, I think the areas dedicated to beginners that lie behind the main town in the San Rocco area are well-suited for the purpose of learning. There are then options for improving that are good confidence-building pistes (just noticed that has been suggested already).
ski holidays
Tman, I can't comment on Livigno in recent years but we spent a few years holidaying there as beginners/ early intermediates nearly 20 years ago and really enjoyed it. It was a long transfer but we always had good snow and the nightlife was reasonable and reasonably cheap.
ski holidays
Tman, I agree with palumbex. We took a friend out for his first trip last new year and the day spent on an indoor slope was invaluable.

He did a learn to ski in a day course type course and it meant he could at least put his skis on, turn a little and use a button lift. He had a great time as well and was buzzing for the trip. I think it saves more than a day on the mountain as his mind was in the right place when we got there.

Get on a flight and treat the wife to a romantic weekend in Hemel.
ski holidays
Thanks again for the comments guys,hey mt,were would be best for me to fly into to get to Hemel from Belfast???
ski holidays
Easyjet seem to fly from Belfast to Luton, which would be your best bet.
Prob 30 mins or so from there by car to the slopes Smile
snow report
Quote:

Many people were of the view that those who skied Xmas or New Year 2010/11 got the best conditions of the winter in Austria

That was true in parts of France, too, but is pretty irrelevant in terms of conditions next season. It's just as likely that Easter will have the best conditions.
ski holidays
the manchester Chill Factor is only 15 mins from Ringway
snow report
Hi there - Personally, I would go for Montgenevre....this is a great little ski area and I learnt to ski / board here. So pretty, lots of charm and its high at 1800m village hight. In fact - when the snow was bad this season in the Alpes, I think this was pretty much the only ski resort where the snow was good! The slopes are really nice and wide and there are no scary runs where you feel like you are going to fall off the side of the mountain! Its also really good for intermediates and there is loads of off-piste skiing for the adventurous (not me!) I love this place and have been back 3 times - it hooks you!
snow report
I would definitely reccommend Les Arcs 1950/2000. I started skiing there a couple of years ago with a much more experienced partner. A day on a dry ski slope before certainly helped me to get the feel of skis on my feet but not much more. I had ski school lessons every morning the first time I went and skied with my partner in the afternoons. I was lucky that the conditions and weather were perfect for learning and I was confidently tackling msot blues by the end of the week. Les Arcs has a massive ski area with lots of choice and challenges.
Good luck
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy