Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

From Munich or Zurich to Serfaus

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm arranging for next year's ski holiday to Serfaus and I can reasonably-priced tickets to both Munich and Zurich. While Munich is somewhat cheaper, I'm thinking that Zurich may be easier and quicker and perhaps less prone to traffic gongestions. We'd be flying in and out on Saturday. Any advice/opinions would be most welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can take the train from either Munich or Zürich to Landeck and then take the Postbus from Landeck up to Serfaus. If travelling from Munich you have to change in Innsbruck, the Zürich train is direct if I remember right.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steilhang, thanks for the input. I'm more thinking about using an airport transfer service, or possibly hiring a car. I'm hoping this would be less hassle with the kids and grandparents.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I drove from Munich to kappl last year (next valley to Serfaus). 5 hours!! On way back we flew from memmingem which was only 2.5 hours.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SkiingDad, Would make it a whole lot easier if you flew to Innsbruck. Relatively cheap transfer from there. If you are Sat-Sat you should be able to buy seat only on a charter if the scheduled fares are a bit stiff.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Drove from MUnich to Serfaus 2 years ago. Quite a long drive (5 hours sound about right, including one stop). Really no fun with kids in the car (thankfully they fell asleep at somepoint). Grandpa won't enjoy driving that long and maybe in tha dark. I'm not sure Zurich is a significantly shorter drive, and Munich car hire is in experience cheaper than Zurich. Serfaus is a great resort, esp with kids, but in hindsight flying to Innsbruck is worth a premium. If you do decide to drive from Munich, rent at least a Mondeo estate and plan ahead 2 stops.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, Memmingen has been dropped by Ryanair now Sad

SkiingDad, Either fly to Zurich and transfer by train (fewer changes) or to Munich and hire a big enough car to hold all of you and the luggage comfortably.

Best of all fly to Innsbruck and take one of the local transfers, more than worth the premium Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski wrote:
I drove from Munich to kappl last year (next valley to Serfaus). 5 hours!! On way back we flew from memmingem which was only 2.5 hours.
5 hours? I usually do that journey in about 2.5 hours. I guess you can add another 30 mins from the Airport.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang, I bet they drove the long way round! I gave someone a route once via Mittenwald but they didn't use it as it was not all motorway. A lot of people use the A8 or the A96 and add hours to their journeys.

It only took me 2.5 hours to reach St Anton from Munich using the A95 and then over the Fern Pass to Imst! Even living out here above the Inntal It does not take that long!

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, I would love to fly to Innsbruck, but there are no direct flights from my area, and the extra stop and transit add a minimum of 3 hours of flight time. But really, 5 hours sounds like an awful lot... (?)

Samerberg Sue, what do you think about driving from Zurich? Since we're traveling with kids and possibly two senior citizens, I'd love to use an airport transfer service that takes us to the front door, if possible. Otherwise hire a car.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SkiingDad, very straightforward, as is driving from Munich. It is the choice of route that is the more critical decision.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:
It only took me 2.5 hours to reach St Anton from Munich using the A95 and then over the Fern Pass to Imst!
I've done that in 2h15 Toofy Grin Maybe not completely legal all the way though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, thanks! And if car hire cost isn't an issue, would you prefer Zurich or Munich?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiingDad, Munich to be honest. The route is way easier than people think and on the whole does not get as clogged as the A8/A93/A12 route does.

In terms of time and distance I believe it is 6 to one and half dozen to the other! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang, me too but shhhhhhh passt gut für die Bullen auf Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 16-06-11 13:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
SkiingDad, Munich, cars have been great in the past but train even better now IMO - we used to hire cars but the high hire prices/ fuel/ rip off winter tyres etc enticed us to use the train last year and now we're hooked, trains are so easy, cheap, and beer as you travel................. and always on time whatever the weather.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, thanks again! Google maps suggests the A95 from Munich. Is that the best route? The thing with Munich is that the only option for the return flight is leaving at 11:50 and I have no idea about how much time I should allow for traffic and weather.

Markymark29, train sounds lovely, but boarding the train and transferring I may have to carry my kids' and my mother's skis as well as of my own, so I think a car is the best option.
snow conditions
SkiingDad, what day of the week are you travelling?

I would use the A95 as well if I were driving from the airport. Depending on what day of the week the way I get round Munich to the A95 would vary. If you are unsure about making it on time, how about leaving the night before, stopping somewhere near the airport overnight and then just popping over to return the car and check in without any hassles? There are loads of relatively cheap and good B&B/Gasthof type places in the area.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, Saturday. Perhaps one could actually fly on Sunday to make best use of all the time. The Gasthof sounds like a plan, but I'd need to convince a bunch of people.
snow report
SkiingDad, The town of Freising is next to the airport and has loads of Gasthofs,hotels and pensions. It is also the home of the oldest brewery in the world, Weihenstephan. Very attractive inducement Laughing
snow report
SkiingDad, The town of Erding is also right next to the airport, has lots of gasthofs etc and is the home of Erdinger Weissbier. Given the choice, I know where I'd be heading Very Happy
snow conditions
SkiingDad wrote:
Bode Swiller, I would love to fly to Innsbruck, but there are no direct flights from my area
Where are you travelling from?
snow report
SkiingDad, Just a thought - if you are doing all the arrangements and they have had their 6 days skiing ask them do they really want to get up before the crack of dawn on their departure day (meaning no late last night). Or do they want the luxury of sleeping in and getting up for a good breakfast before ambling over to the airport after late night drinking in a really good Gasthof? No brainer from my point of view - leave after the last day of skiing and have a good night in the pub having beaten all the jams! Laughing
snow report
Bode Swiller, Helsinki, Finland. Really not much to choose from. The only flights available to Innsbruck are operated by travel agencies selling packages.

Samerberg Sue, basically I'm sold! I love weissbier. But there are three mothers and two grandmothers that would need persuasion as well. Smile Since part of the reason of arranging the trip ourselves is to keep costs down, then an extra night in the Munich area may not be too popular.
snow report
SkiingDad, not in Munich - well outside where the prices are sensible. You can get family rooms and single rooms for good prices. Let me know what you would need and when and I'll run through some of the places I know to see how it works out.
Steilhang probably knows a few good ones as well. And he forgot to mention the Aying connection - Ayinger Weißbeir is also a top notch drop wink
latest report
SkiingDad wrote:
Bode Swiller, Helsinki, Finland. Really not much to choose from. The only flights available to Innsbruck are operated by travel agencies selling packages.
If it works like it does in the UK, you should be able to buy seat only on charter flights.
snow report
Quote:

If it works like it does in the UK, you should be able to buy seat only on charter flights.

Indeed it's possible, but at more than double the price.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, that's a very kind offer. Thank you! I shall see what the others think of all the options.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, but to return to my original questions really... Do you see a risk in getting up early and driving to Munich, allowing for a three hour drive and 1-2 hours for check-in and a bit of margin? Could we get stuck on the way on a Saturday morning?
ski holidays
SkiingDad, yes there is a very distinct possibility depending on the time of year and the weather. Using the A95 route you have a two-lane highway from just north of Garmisch (Eschenlohe) all the way to Starnberg which only requires one idiot and you are done for. The alternative routes around such blocks are very limited. Then you have to decide how to get across or around Munich!

Plus you have a lot of people moving on a Saturday in both directions - especially day trippers from Munich so the ordinary road routes can get clogged very easily. The big move out of the resorts on changeover days is getting earlier and earlier. In view of the fact that you are fixed to returning a hire car and getting to a check-in by a set time, I would cut the stress and use the luxury of having an overnight near the airport. You will not be under any time constraints getting to the accommodation. You can pack most of what you need into your hand luggage so there is no need to unpack the car. You can leave your hotel in Serfaus after an early supper and be in the Munich area for a late night beer or two. The following morning you are almost at the airport, so you get a sleep in, relaxed breakfast before returning the hire car and getting to check-in.

To my mind it is the obvious stress-free solution.

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, Thanks a lot! You have been most helpful! I shall certainly consider your advice and put it forward to my travelling company
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy