Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

(Quiet) Resort Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I’m working out where to go for next year’s DIY ski trip, which will probably happen in early March. This time we’d like to go to either Italy, France, Spain or Germany.

We're looking for:

Unspoilt village – we like rural and local, obscure even. There only need be a couple of bars and food shops.
Multiple ski stations on one pass (at least 60km in total)
Ski bus service, although we could hire a car at a push.
Quiet runs, including winding road type and wide, steep reds
Some tree lined slopes
Interesting cross country runs

In the past we’ve liked:

Grimentz
Mauterndorf/Lungau
Hemsedal

I’ve come up with the following:

France
Vercors/Villard de Lans
Queyras
Luz St Sauveur (because I like the Pyrenees)
Laruns/Gourette/Artouste

Italy
Chiesa
Solda/Sulden
Cavalese/Val di Fiemme

Germany
Balderschwang

Spain
Benasque/Cerler
Panticosa

Has anyone been to any of these places? Can you comment on their suitability? Any other suggestions gratefully received!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As you like Hemsedal, have you tried Geilo in Norway? Probably the quitest resort I've been to (but smaller than your 60km minimum size).

Or how about Obergurgl in Austria? Lovely and quiet (in my experience); nice town; good skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi abj,

Thanks for the tips. We went to Hemsedal this year, so we'll probably be giving Norway a miss in 2012, otherwise Geilo would be on my radar... In fact I considered it along with Hemsedal, but I couldn't seem to find reasonably priced accommodation on the Geilo.no website. Did you arrange the holiday independently? I'd definitely consider it in future.

Obergurgl, yes - I've considered that too. It's a little outside our budget though. How feasible would it be to stay somewhere in the Oetztal and bus in?

L
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Draybs74, note French half term runs up until 11th March, just in case this has an impact on the places you like.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Lou - good to know!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Add the Maurienne Valley in France:
http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/fr/il4-maurienne,bougez_p38-ski-maurienne-sans-frontieres.aspx

Very accessible by TGV and there is a bus that runs up and down but you'd probably be better with a car.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Altis, I've been dimly aware of the Marienne Valley.. How busy are the Val Cenis pistes? I'm looking for verge-of-bankruptcy-quiet! Aussois looks really nice.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Draybs74 package holidays can be quite reasonable for Geilo. We've travelled with Neilson a few times to Geilo and have found some decent deals for the forest cabins (cute little self-contained log cabins) and their own catered chalets. (I tend to book late, so not sure what prices are like this far ahead).

Obergurgl can be pricey as the bulk of the accomodation is 4-star hotels, plus the lift-pass is quite expensive. Last time we went we managed to get a deal with a TO which included lift-passes so it ended-up being a good deal.

The alternative is to stay down the road in Soelden (which I guess might be cheaper) and is linked by bus - but can't remember if the two resorts are included on the same lift-pass.

What's your budget?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ABJ - The problem is that we're obliged to factor in a city break, so the trips are usually 6 nights in resort, two in city. This pretty much rules out TOs. Our accommodation budget is about £100 a night for an apartment with two double bedrooms. Soelden doesn't really appeal to me, but I did once consider staying in Oetz, enjoying the local mountain and also bussing it to Obergurgl. There seems to be a servicable bus, but no joint pass, alas.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abj wrote:
Draybs74

Obergurgl can be pricey as the bulk of the accomodation is 4-star hotels, plus the lift-pass is quite expensive. Last time we went we managed to get a deal with a TO which included lift-passes so it ended-up being a good deal.
?

was that on "White Week"? we did one of those with Inghams were the lift pass and drinks with dinner were included
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you really do like very quaint little villages with not much going on, have a look at Ardent, part of the Portes Du Soleil, France. It gives direct access right into the heart of the PDS with 650km+ of piste, an excellent bubble up to the slopes each morning and very quiet. The runs around the area are all tree lined except at the very top of the ski area, and there are plenty of challenging runs and road type runs. There are a couple of bars and places to eat etc and you wouldnt need to hire a car. Transfer times now from Geneva are down to 1 hour. To give you an idea of size here is the ski lift, and some of the village, there is more to the right of this picture that you cant see, but its really quite small!!!

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Espace Diamant in France - any of the villages, really, though they are not exactly obscure. Praz sur Arly or Les Saisies probably best for access to the skiing (180 km linked) But NOT till after the end of the French hols. When you say "cross country" routes, do you mean "ski de fond"? If so, Les Saisies would be best, one of the best cross country areas in France, though quite challenging, not like those valley-bottom circuits people can just shuffle around. Areches Beaufort is a good deal more obscure. It has only 55 km of piste but (so I understand....) some spectacular but potentially dangerous off piste. I only do the pistes. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't comment on Aussois but have done several trips to both Valfrejus and La Norma (sister resorts to Aussois). They are lovely and quiet and I didn't try any, but apparently there is shtloads off cracking off piste to be had in Valfrejus. Both places have prety small villages (couple of bars, couple of ski shops, a bakery, a supermarket and a handful of restaurants). We've only been over Christmas, New Year and at Easter and lift queues (apart from just after lesson drop off) were all but non-existant.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all,

Sorry - I completely forgot to reply to your most recent replies! A question for you Pam W..... My instinct is to choose Bessans over Espace Diamant, since we tend to prefer small, stand alone resorts over linked areas. My partner is very timid and the mileage-hungry skiers that interlinked areas tend to attract freak him out. HOWEVER - the Espace Diamant markets itself (I think!) as a gentle sort of place. The piste map possibly suggests that the are some quiet areas (mont Rond and Mont Bisanne) that are off the main circuit and presumably pretty quiet. Is that the case?

Thanks, Liam
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Draybs74, some pics of the mileage-hungry skiers tearing up Espace Diamant from a trip I took there 2 seasons ago...

latest report
Draybs74,
Quote:

My instinct is to choose Bessans over Espace Diamant, since we tend to prefer small, stand alone resorts over linked areas.

I have stayed in Bessans, in terms of very quiet pleasant place to stay it is great.From a x country pont of view it is outstanding but interms of alpine skiing it is for beginners unless you want to travel. There are essentially a couple of short nursery lifts.
Just up the road is the outstanding beautiful and quiet Bonneval and down the road is the somewhat busier but still not hectic Val Cenis. Other resorts are driveable but a fair bit further.
Aussois is a pleasant looking place though wehn we went to the nearby Solieres Sardieres (Fabulous looking x country, no alpine) we avoided Aussois as it was late season and the snow conditions poor according to a local instructor. We skied a lot of the rest of the Maurienne which was great but a fair bit of driving.
ski holidays
Draybs74, if you really like small and local, try Alpe de Grand Serre. Two ski hire shops, two bars, one mountain restaurant. Tremendous views over Grenoble and the Vercors, very nice skiing, lots of easy off piste because there's never anyone there to pinch it.
snow report
Thanks all!

Kitenski - when exactly were those pictures taken? Looks lovely....
T-Bar - I would expect to be using the ski bus quite a bit if we choose Bessans. Is the service efficient enough?
Lizzard - Alpe de Grand Serre is sort of on my radar... does it have a village atmosphere?

L
ski holidays
Draybs74, It was mid to end of january from memory, honestly I was amazed how quiet it was!
latest report
Draybs74, you could also try Gressoney in Italy
ski holidays
Hmmm.. all very encouraging.....

I've tried to arrange a Monterose trip before. The problem is that we need a cheapish apartment, and there didn't seem to be much on offer at the time. What's your experience with accommodation?

Thanks again, Liam
ski holidays
Draybs74, I stayed at the Hotel DuFour in Gressoney as the lift is outside Smile

http://www.hoteldufour.it/index_e.asp
latest report
Draybs74, I'd second Champoluc or Gressony, both dead quiet during the week and manic with Torinese / Milanese skiers who head home after lunch on Sunday. V quite resorts, locals still in clogs, but high mountain scenery and skiing just as you require. Gressony would be better for apartments, Champoluc is more family hotel accommodation.
latest report
Draybs74, the Espace Diamant is most definitely not intimidating - some parts get busy in school hols, but out of holiday times, it's v quiet. A two double bed apartment in the complex in kitenski's photo (which is where our apartment is) will be well under your budget. We don't rent out ours, but there are plenty available - we have one friend who will rent for tailor-made periods (ie would do you 6 days if that's what you want). That complex is at Bisanne 1500, a small and v quiet area, with just a couple of restaurants and a tiny shop. Not recommended without a car - skiing is door to door, but shopping isn't. wink there's a very reliable, but not very frequent, ski bus service. If you wanted to do the Espace Diamant without a car, then Les Saisies is your best bet, though it's a roaring metropolis compared to some of the other places mentioned. The skiing in Les Saisies is the most gentle in the Espace Diamant. It's difficult to imagine anybody ever being "freaked out" by LS. there are some more difficult runs - some very nice reds and some blacks - but there's always an easy alternative from any of the lifts, so no chance of finding yourself on something scary by accident.

this is a general picture of the LS area - taken on Mont Bisanne, looking across to the Legette - from there, you can go in several directions, including the three runs shown, but there's also a very gentle green run all the way down. There are several quiet long gentle runs (the one to our apartment is almost 5 km) but they're not those horrible tracks you find in some places (they used to be, but they've been widened). This picture shows it about as crowded as it ever gets, outside school hols. It's often quieter.
On the red run which is in the middle of the three in the background, I would typically expect to find about 10 - 20 skiers. Fewer on the black (on the right). The overwhelming majority of skiers in the Espace Diamant are French, and the overwhelming majority of them are competent skiers, often families, not package holiday Brits skiing right on the brink of control. Honestly, I can't imagine there are any less intimidating ski areas, though there are some interesting and more challenging runs if you want them.

Cross country in Les Saisies is superlative - but as I said above, somewhat challenging, not just shuffling around on a valley floor. Good lessons available, though.

I have loads of photos - so if you want any specific information, do send me a PM.

Mind you, I can't think where you'd go for a "city break" in the vicinity. I've always found Geneva very dull. Annecy is lovely in summer but it's hardly a "city". Lyon would be by far the best bet (and you can fly into Grenoble airport with easyJet) but a bit further away.
ski holidays
Thanks ever so much Pam W, very much appreciated! I'm very interested to hear about flexible rentals, the only problem is that neither of us can drive! For that reason we're probably looking for somewhere centre-village.

Good point on the city break. I think it would be Lyon. We're not bothered by long transfers, we've done 5 hours in the past. Coming to think of it, breaking our journey home in Paris would probably be a good option.
snow conditions
Draybs74,
Quote:

T-Bar - I would expect to be using the ski bus quite a bit if we choose Bessans. Is the service efficient enough?

My impression is that it is pretty good to Bonneval and Val Cenis, not certain though and I have no idea about elesewhere, we had our own transport. The tourist office will probably be able to tell you.
snow report
Draybs74, you can get a taxi-transfer to Les Saisies, or go by bus, changing in Albertville. Taxi is more expensive, but infinitely easier. All rentals in Les Saisies are likely to be Sat/Sat.

You CAN do Bisanne 1500 without a car - a taxi to Bisanne 1500 would cost no more than a taxi to Les Saisies. Most people would find it too restricting, though we've spent weeks there without a car, just using the bus (on an occasion where I had pranged our car just before we were due to go out Embarassed ). We just skied door to door and used the ski bus for shopping. I have also been known to ski back over the mountain with some shopping in a backpack.
snow conditions
Skiing has been possible on the hills of central Bristol for the last 3 winters. Also a large cross-country skiing area adjacent to a suburb guaranteed to be quiet as the land is owned by the Quakers and no pubs or shops allowed. However there isn't a reliable bus service...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a look at Fulpmes, Igls and Neustift in Austria.
snow conditions
Hi
As one of your earlier suggestions take a look at Chiesa Valmalenco it fits a lot of your criteria ,and there are ski deals on offer which inc 7 nights half-board 6 day ski pass and equipment hire from £395 throughout the winter season.. www.bellaskiitalia.com.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy