Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Roads between Munich and Zell am See between Xmas and NY?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sister and hubbie MAY have been successful in buying a really nice pad in Zell and See and are asking us over around Xmas. As usual, really restricted flights from Schottland to Austria and have to be flexible with dates as my wife won't really get time off - so would need to be a long weekend scenario. Only option I can see to date is a flight to Munich. Having driven to Kaprun in the summer 4 years ago and from Munich to Kappl last year - I am extremely keen to avoid the horrendous jams we encountered trying to get into Austria from Germany.

What are the roads like on say Thurs/Fri on way there and Mon/Tue on way back? Looking to go just after Xmas.

Ta muchie
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, let the train take the strain http://www.oebb.at/en/ - various routes but can be done in about 4 hours. Typically airport into the Ost Bahnhof and then to Schwarzach and change to ZamS.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boabski, Thursday/Fridays are not too bad and the same goes for Monday/Tuesdays. I come into work on a Monday morning rather than travelling to my hotel on a Sunday night because there is less chance of a jam. My boss has allowed me to come in slightly later as I have to work late with an English course on Monday evenings anyway.

The only problem occurs if there is a bank holiday - either a Friday or a Monday - then most of Bavaria takes a long weekend, many go skiing!

There are ways around the jams that most of the locals use on bad days. I rarely use the A8, A99 or A93 at the weekends as they are wall-to-wall traffic jams.

Alternatively the train links are very good and you can get a through train from Munich (sometimes) as the ICE trains to Slovenia and Eastern Italy pass through. Just a case of whether you can actually manage to time flights to get them. But do you want to spend 4 hours or so each way on a train?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski,

We're going to Zell on Tuesday 27th December on the Easyjet from Edinburgh to Munich. Whilst I don't think there will be a quiet day at that time of year we were told that the Tuesday should not be too bad as most people will have been there for Xmas and, if anything, are more likely to be heading home that day and those just going for New year may wait until later in the week - which may be a problem for you by the Thursday or Friday ?

We have just booked the hotel minibus to come and get us. Its not cheap at 290 Euro each way but our party nearly fills it and when we looked at the railway prices and then factored in the hassle of the changes (minimum of two) for a party including two under five yo's it made more sense. I remember from your previous posts that you have kids so, presuming you are taking them, it might be worth looking at?

It also took the driving stress out of it even if the traffic is bad and the unlikely event the driver does not know a shortcut?

Looked at hiring a car but the prices were just silly for a party of our size, especially as the car would just lie at the hotel all week.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks. Don't know if it will happen anyway, given the restrictions with my wife's job at Xmas time. Train does not sound appealing with 3 kids at 4 hours. Think it's more realistic we'll go in Jan.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have travelled several times from Munich to to Kaprun with Skivolution around 5th/12th December and have had no problems either of traffic or severe weather.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Farley Goode, that's because the real skiing season has not started for the European mainland holiday skiers! As for the weather, you've been lucky (or unlucky which ever way you want to look at it rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, any insight on what's to be expected on Sat the 24th December? I've heard everything from standstill to empty as it's a family hollyday and people either stay home or are likely to go on friday?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugardaddy, There will be some traffic but nothing major as the mainland Europeans celebrate the family day on the 24th. Traffic may be bad-ish up to around 16.00 but after that no probs. There will certainly not be any of the mega-jams associated with most Saturdays in the ski season.

I travel every Christmas Eve from the mountains SE of Munich (near Rosenheim) into Munich and out the other side to spend Christmas Eve with friends. I have never in 15 years seen traffic jams going in the direction of the mountains. I leave my house on the dot of 17.00 (I'm putting my coat on as the Carol Service from King's ends). I usually manage the 120kms in about 70 minutes. The roads heading towards the hills are just as empty.

Coming home again on 25th is sometimes a bit of a nightmare though Toofy Grin Germans, Dutch, and every other nation de-camp on mass to the mountains so I have to watch the traffic reports and time my departure carefully.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, thanks. We'll be travelling in the morning, so I'll expect traffic but I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be worse than usual
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy