Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Utah help

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering a one-week (probably midweek to midweek) trip to Utah in early February, just with Mrs L. Most of my North American skiing has been in the Tahoe resorts. In 2010, we had a week in Steamboat, Colorado, partly because I wanted to sample fabled Rocky Mountain powder conditions. I didn't get that (luck of the draw, I suppose) and various experts here suggested I try Utah next time - hence the interest.

We like staying in villages / small towns that have some reason for existence outside of snow sports. Somewhere we can take a stroll in the evening, browse some shops and have a choice of restaurants. We'd not be so keen on staying slope-side if it effectively confines us to the hotel. Would Park City be the best place for that? Is there anywhere else? I know it's relatively close to most resorts, but I don't fancy staying in a SLC suburb (I've been there in the summer).

I'd like the opportunity to ski in different resorts. I notice that you can get a pass covering Solitude, Alta, Brighton and Snowbird, which would be great, but I get the feeling that none of those places has the village/town atmosphere. Are there any other multi-resort passes? What is public transport like between the resorts? I'd rather not bother with a hire car, but will if necessary.

Thanks for any help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For powder go to Niseko instead. They're 9 hrs ahead v behind so no jet lag when you get home. Travel time only marginally longer as it's a two flighter to get to SLC. Niseko more snowsure & costs would be very similar.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, I skied there, just for a weekend, following a business trip to Sapporo, in the early '90s. Unfortunately, it's considerably more BA Miles to get there than anywhere in North America!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Park City would be the best place for what you describe. The main street is old and atmospheric with plenty of bars and restaurants. There are other choices in the surrounding sprawl, but you don't need to leave the main street area if you wish. No other village/town in the area fits your needs nearly as well. In park City there is a lift right off the main street into Park City Ski Area. It is a very short way from downtown Park City, but bus or car required, to Deer Valley and The Canyons. Brighton/Solitude are up the next canyon and Alta/Snowbird up the next one after that. These require a bus ride/car ride. I can't rember the exact travel times but 45 minutes seems a fair estimate. Another resort in the opposite direction quite worthwhile is Snowbasin, and if you're feeling very adventurous, Powder Mountain. Happily, Park City is placed in the middle of it all, but up it's own valley like the others. If you fancy off piste, the Utah Interconnect Tour will allow you to ski several of the areas in one day and it is a good day out. They provide the transport at the end of the day. If you want to adventure around I suggest a car/suv because the time you'll save will allow you to more completely savor the flavor of each area.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jack, thanks - much appreciated. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, Genius advice perhaps La Rosiere would also suit.

Been through SLC a couple of times in the summer & one winter trip although we stayed in a SLC suburb near BCC/LCC we could still take the tram in to see a Jazz game and there were brewpubs nearby & casual restaurants which sufficed. Park City is I think your main option but you might want to ensure you avoid Sundance week.

Otherwise Ogden looks like a typical US town with a small & uglyish downtown but within a short drive of Snowbasin and Powder Mountain. Snowbasin in particular is very impressive, perhaps the lowest profile Olympic venue ever.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman, You can get a 6 day Park City / Canyons/ Deer Valley pass, or as you say you can get the Salt Lake Super ski pass covering both Cottonwood Canyons.

Park City does sound more of what you are looking for in terms of evening entertainment. Its pricer than the Norm in Utah as its the main tourist spot. 6 days isnt really enough here - we had 15 days this season and still wanted more time. Slope side at Park City ( not much of it ) isnt away from the town, the historic Main Street is the tourist centre but there is also Kimball Junction 10 minutes drown the road providing more local restaurants and shops. Theres also a retail outlet here providing ample shopping and bargains.

All the mountains are different in their own way. A car 9 well 4X4 ) can be worth it if you want to travel a bit. The Cottonwoods are roughly 45 mins - an hour away. Snowbasin again is around the hour or so and Powder Mtn about 20 mins further - these will be the least crowded as well off the tourist radar. You are correct about the Cottonwood Resorts as theres not really any town/village at any of them.

For something quirky and different you could hit Bobby Retfords backyard of Sundance again around the hour from Park City. Theres no real need to shell out for the Interconnect Tour, you can ski some of it quite easily on your own, and just skiing inbounds will provide you with a similar experience.

If you need any more info just ask
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I skied Utah in Olympic year.

There is good transport to the Cottonwood Canyon resorts from SLC. Midvale is the bus terminus. Then TRAX to downtown if you do not wish to stay on a strip mall suburb.

There may be public transport from Sandy too. All four resorts are very quiet if, say, you wanted to stay in Alta. Park City is more resorty but it had no transport links from SLC. It was not really my cup of tea. You could stay in Ogden which is close to a couple of other resorts - Powder Mountain etc. but I did not ski them, though they look interesting on paper. You would need a car though.

I would get passes on a daily basis from the place that offers the best discounts. Price is not fixed nor only available from the ticket office like in European resorts

There is not really that much in downtown SLC in terms of strolling around at night.There are restaurants but you need to get signed into pubs. There are shops, cinemas etc.

If you stay in SLC and there is a big dump you may not be able to get to Cottonwood Canyons. That happened to me one day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

need to get signed into pubs

Not since the olympics Madeye-Smiley

Most of the Hotels in SLC run shuttles to the Cottonwoods, and their is free public transport with your lift pass IIRC ( didnt use them as we had a 4x4 )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, a hotel for you in PC, small and friendly - although sounds like they are about to "Boutique" the hell out of it - the new owner was nice when we met her.

Sounds like Park City would meet your needs pretty well. Food better in town than on the hill with some good restaurants. I love Alta - but cute alpine town atmosphere is lacking...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the info folks - sounds like Park City is the place for us.

stoat of the dead, that looks like just the sort of establishment Mrs L would appreciate.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The issue for you is that Park City is definitely what you want town-wise, but the terrain and powder is at Alta and Snowbird. To be honest, the terrain within Park City/Deer Valley/The Canyons is pretty bad with the exception of Jupiter Bowl at Park City. Those resorts are pretty comparable terrain-wise with Steamboat, so they're nowhere near the elite western mountains. You have a choice of skiing vs. town/nightlife, unless you want to drive from Park City every morning. Alternatively, you could just stay in downtown SLC, as that would be a shorter drive the Altabird. However, downtown isn't anything special.

Snowbasin is a great choice on a big powder day, but make sure to check snowfall there vs. Altabird, as the Little Cottonwood Canyon can get twice as much as the Park City area and Snowbasin.

If it hasn't snowed for 3-4 days, you might be able to find some leftover powder at Powder Mountain, but everything there is pretty flat (more like Steamboat). They have really cheap single snowcat rides.

The timing of your trip is also important. Alta and Snowbird keep their snow much longer and have better conditions in the spring. If you go January-February, there isn't much of an issue.

Alta and Snowbird have the best combination of frequent light powder, consistent surface conditions and expert terrain in the world. If that's what you're looking for, you'll ultimately be disappointed skiing the rest of Utah (with the exception of Snowbasin at times).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I stayed in SLC a couple of years ago and schlepped out to Solitude, Snowbird and Brighton on the free bus each morning. It stopped right outside my hotel and it was free, but packed after 10 minutes and it takes well over an hour to reach any of the resorts. Park City is good but the local mountain itself is not so great. If you want to try something more 'villagy" try staying in Ogden. You can find apartments and condo's on various rental sites and you have access to The Canyons, Powder Mountain and Park City, Deer Valley and if you have a car probably an hour to Snowbird/Alta if the snow falls on that side. Ogden has Historic 25th street for bars, food and entertainment and has a number of major ski manufacturers North American bases are located there. Powder Mountain is a real gem, they have a couple of lifts but the main attraction is side country accessed by snowmobile rides for $8, a big cat skiing operation and if you're lucky and the place is quiet you can grab the last spots on a heli for $50 a bump.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd absolutely agree about Alta being great for a great hill and great snow, or being near SLC giving one flexibility. But I think the OP makes it pretty clear what the priority is here. Yes good snow in Utah, but an interesting and lively village. I thought bits of the hill at PC - with stuff in the trees etc were better than I expected and not the intermediate groomed run paradise I had feared.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm now thinking of staying in PC but with a car to ski where the fancy takes us. In truth, Mrs L would probably be quite satisfied to ski for a week in PC, but I'm sure she'll indulge me with a couple of days in other areas - particularly when I tell her that boarding is banned in Deer Valley and Alta. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
laundryman, Park City and Deer Valley are right next to each other, in fact you could ski between the two if they let you Toofy Grin

The school Inn is nice and great location , we didnt stay there as we wanted to be away from Park City, and pay a more reasonable rate. If you are DIYing and want to head over to Powder Mtn and Snowbasin, check out from Pasrk city and stay local to Eden/ Ogden for the last couple of nights. Its still about an hour to the airport so nothing really lost.

As for SLC airport check in on line the night before and arrive about an hour before your flight. Makes life a lot easier. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Just booked flights earlier this evening. Off sailing on Monday, and I'll sort hotel etc when I get back.

I love holidays. snowHead

If I say so myself, I deserve one at the moment! wink
latest report
Hire a car at SLC and stay in Park City - lovely old town with tram going up the main street. Definitely have a day at Deer Valley and make sure you have lunch in Stein Eriksen Lodge - best buffet in the world - ski hard in the morning and then late lunch. Parking free at all resorts - very civilized. Make sure you have a day at Sundance. You can ski from Alta to Snowbird and it is only 1 hour's drive from PC. Lovely selection of restaurants in PC.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy