Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soldier dies in avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
BBC reports British soldier dead following avalanche in French Alps Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's not often one hears of fatal avalanches in high summer in the Alps - I guess people would tend to be more off-guard at this time of year.
Have there been unusual weather conditions in the area?

On the face of it, he seems most unlucky.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I read an article earlier in the year about climbing Mont Blanc in the summer. The most dangerous aspect appeared to be crossing gullies that were prone to rock slides from the melting ice. I think that a lot of people tend to be injured/killed by these so not particularly unlucky.

I'm wondering whether this is a full avalanche as in crushed/covered by debris, or struck by objects within the avalanche?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You do get avalanches in high summer, as it often snows even in June or July above 3000m, plus you have higher daytime temperatures, seracs collapsing etc. Mountaineers will know of the risks and take appropriate precautions with route choice, time of day, recent weather etc just like we skiers do, but are sometimes unlucky of course.

I used to do a lot of mountaineering and remember one time we were staying in the Rothorn hutte not too far from Zermatt, and had been playing cards with a young Swiss couple after our meal, then the next morning we set off early to climb the Rothorn and afterwards got back to the hut to find they had been killed in an avalanche on the Wellenkuppe/Obergabelhorn route. That was my first experience of an avalanche, when I was about 11 or 12 yrs old.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i always wear a transceiver on the rare occasions i go mountaineering. all the problems caused by everything warming up are the reason for the "alpine start" (ie at about 3am). it's also a reason why (so i am told) climbs like the n face of the eiger are increasingly done in winter. the cold keeps all the loose stones bound to the face, rather than falling off and pelting you as you climb
interestingly, according to one guide book i have, now is usually the safest time on mont blanc de tacul. the avalanche danger is usually very high in winter months
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.pistehors.com/ has some more details of this tragedy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy