Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do more Southerners own their own skis?

Poster: A snowHead
daveyladboy, Yes I was reffering to Dr John, 's Top 10 most expensive towns, I was amazed their was nothing inside the M25. Maybe the list is flawed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
daveyladboy, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kel, The list doesn't include London. It's a list of towns. But if, for instance, you consider general London postcodes as towns then they would have all 10 of the top 10.

E.G. W2 in west London - the average price of a flat over the last 2 years was £647,000. Terrace £1,988,000; Semi £2,058,000 and detached £5,892,000.

And this is not the most expensive postcode. Think W1, WC1, SW3, SW1, etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne wrote:
Mind you I have cut down approx. 30% on flights and beds for next year
as I have a feeling about 2012 (skiing product)...... Idea

Wise move.

Britain is already in a doubledip recession.

A tripledip UK recession when rates rise in H1 2012 is not yet out of the question.

Britain will get Olympics fever in H2 2012, so Winter 2012 / 2013 and 2013 / 2014 should be back on an upswing, provided high oil prices don't hammer air travel (which they will do at some point in the next 15 years).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wayne, I haven't read the thread, but my first thought was that maybe more southerners drive because they are closer to the ports and when you drive ski carriage isn't as difficult ergo, more southerners own their own skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Britain is already in a doubledip recession.

Not sure it is though? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kel wrote:
Not forgetting the South has a higher percentage of people up their own bottoms than the North.

That's not a fact, it is just my opinion, but it is an opinion formed by actually being there and seeing it first hand.

Dr John wrote:
Kel, it's not opinion, it's economics.

Take a quick look through this list http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/3361042/Britains-richest-towns-10-1.html

Glad you're both in agreement then. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross,

Clever use of selective editing wink

BTW You must be really poor living all the way up there Laughing Laughing .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
I haven't read the thread

Shame on you Madeye-Smiley

Megamum wrote:
maybe more southerners drive because they are closer to the ports

The stats I quoted were for our bookings and last season only 3 families drove.
Just checked - the families that arrived by car all wanted ski hire.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne
Therefore they were actually Northerners.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmmm, don't you people have anything better to defend the honour of your localities than the relative number of hoi polloi?

and a bit back to topic - are there carriage numbers for each main carrier available?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
barry wrote:
are there carriage numbers for each main carrier available?

Yes we could produce the stats, if you “really” and I do mean “really, really” want them, but what’s the point. Puzzled

I do notice the many reporting structures are simply an exercise in producing nice charts that people can file neatly into a lever arch. But...

Of course there are some reports that, on first glance, would seem superfluous, but in reality they are very important. Eg. We produce flow charts showing the number of people arriving in resort at various times of the day, segemented into certain boot sizes linked to Male/Female – weight/height, etc. These allow the ski hire shop to get extra gear from their other shops if needed well before our clients arrive – so we have enough gear available.

We also produce ski carriage reports (by time arrival slot in Italy) for the coach company. Useful if there is a ski club arriving (the bus Co will send a bus with a trailer).
Plus times that children arrive will arrive (ages/sex/height/etc), so the hire shop has helmets available - it's the law in Italy.
Etc
Etc.
So some reports are needed... other ain’t.

A big difference in the way we operate (we don’t hold welcome meetings – as they are in reality mainly just for selling “stuff” and we don’t sell anything in resort) so everything has to be given to the clients when they arrive at the airport – lift pass, hire voucher, etc and so this does cause a need for a few extra reports – but not that many
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, whats the point of the original stats? you opened this can of worms NehNeh Laughing

not all that bothered, just wondering who does the most ski carriage as it is a frequent topic on here as to who's best/worst - volume is as good a way as any to decide this
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
daveyladboy wrote:
I'm from Kent; consequently I own 3 skis.

I'm from Yorkshire, I prefer an even number of skis Cool
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
That's cos all tightwad yorkshiremen book one ski bag and get four pairs of skis in it.

FIFY Wink

Even better Laughing
snow report
You'll probably find that ownership of ice axes, snow shoes, white water kayaks, climbing equipment, mountaineering gear, caving stuff, mountain bikes, off road vehicles etc etc are all high in the south.

The fact that there is hardly any resource there to pursue these won't affect their purchase. A lot of it is aspirational. Laughing
snow conditions
Who Cares Smile
snow report
adie, +1
snow report
adie wrote:
Who Cares Smile

I do
All TO's do
All airlines do
All transfer coach companys do
All ski hire shops do
etc
snow conditions
Wayne, We have our own skis and normally fly from Edinburgh, there always seems to be plenty people with their own skis/boards. As Glasgow also have a fairly high percentage could it be that many of us in the really far north can actually ski without going abroad account for this. Maybe the people from Manchester mainly ski in the local snowdome which includes ski hire while the Southerners have an abundance of cheap flights to go away for more long weekends and holidays making it more convenient to have their own gear.
ski holidays
Well I'm a Northerner who lives in the South and I own several pairs of skis but don't tend to travel with them since I leave them in resort.
latest report
larry1950 wrote:
[b]Wayne[/b Maybe the people from Manchester mainly ski in the local snowdome.

Puzzled Puzzled Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I'm a Northerner I still live up north and I leave my 3 pairs of skis in resort in the lock up. (I don't ski in Europe any more.) Embarassed
ski holidays
Wayne, Dr John, Kel, holidayloverxx, daveyladboy, Boredsurfing, sbirring, Frosty the Snowman, queen bodecia, Arno, Basil, Bob, Mosha Marc, and the seven dwarfs: The stats quoted are fundamentally flawed in terms of the ski ownership question as it excludes the possibility of hire:

The cash rich notherners obviously buy their own skis whereas the poncy, poor southern rabble spend all theri money on champagne, mortgages, nannies and gardeners. Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
I wonder if it is to do with other demographics than airport flown out of. For example - what proportion of families hire skies (because buying skis for children is a recurring expense and then lugging them around PLUS the kids stuff is a real clart) as opposed to couples/singles without children? what about age group?
However my first thought was with megamum - it's easier for southerners and the scottish to drive to the mountains, making owning your own skis a better ideea.
Also what about boots? Lots of my friends (in cheshire) have boots, but no skis.

I think it's interesting. We own snowboards but when we switched to skis (for the kids) we hired.
snow report
Very pale manc ere with 2 set of ski's! Blush
ski holidays
grey wrote:
Lots of my friends (in cheshire) have boots, but no skis.

Look the part then......
snow report
What if all the Southern softies flew their skies with them to the resort, for all the hardy Northerners to help themselves to, when left outside an expensive bar?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most Scousers fly out without skis and return with them... ever seen ski boots up on bricks? Laughing
snow conditions
fatbob,
Quote:

but which specific chip do you carry on your shoulder "I hate United" or "That'll show the Scousers"?

How very dare you, he is very level headed, he has a chip on each shoulder...you can tell because he dribbles out of both sides of his mouth
daveyladboy, I must stop going on dodgy sites, each time I see your name I read "daveLADYboy"
ski holidays
PsychoBabble, I now realise that I've been misreading the name too and hadn't noticed that the "Y" is missing. Embarassed
ski holidays
Jivebaby, Every one does, it has been discussed elsewhere. Very Happy
snow report
I hire good off piste skis (Movement Source) for 67.5Euros (about £60) for 6 days. If I owned my own skis I'd have to pay £25 carriage (current Easyjet rate), and £15 to edge & wax them. This would leave me about £20 to put towards buying skis, bindings & ski bag. As these would cost around £530, it'd take 27 ski trips to break even. 13 years in my case, by which stage the skis would be like something out of the ark. And I'd have had to lug the damn things around in getting to and from the airport/resort.

So, you'd have to either have to have too much time/money on your hands (so you could go skiing for 4 - 5 weeks a season), or be a complete numpty to own your own skis. Or in other words, a Southerner!
latest report
Benzknees,
Then again you could always edge and wax yourself, fly with an airline that allows you to take skis as hold luggage, or even additional to your hold luggage at no extra charge. And of course lets not forget that some people might just prefer to use there own rather than hire.
latest report
Well that may be true Kel, but it doesn't help in getting a dig in against Southerners!!
latest report
Benzknees, edging, waxing and base repairs cost me about £1 a time in materials and I save about £300 per season at your daily hire rate. Very Happy
snow conditions
Moffatross
Eh? That's a £14 saving per service, assuming you value your own time at nil. How do you get to £300 per season, unless you ski almost continuously.
snow report
Not continuously, just 30 days skiing @ your hire rate of £10/day. And why subcontract 30 minutes ski maintenance 3 or 4 times a season when free time is free.
snow conditions
moffatross, Okay, understood, although the ski carriage cost seems to have been left out of the equation. 5 weeks @ £60 - £25 - £0.75 = £171.25.

Yes, Kel pointed out that some airlines may not charge for carriage, but these airlines tend to charge rather more on the basic flight cost than EasyJet/Ryanair, so it's swings & roundabouts.

Also, returning to my earlier point, if you can afford the time/money to go skiing 5 weeks a year then that must make you an honorary Southerner!! Sorry about that.
snow report
Benzknees, Swiss usually works out similar price to easyjet
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy