Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do more Southerners own their own skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Last season’s stats:
Percentage of passengers requesting ski carriage:

London (Gatwick) - 6.7%
London (Heathrow) - 6.3%
Manchester - 2.6%
Glasgow - 16.0%
Newcastle – 100% (mind you this was a ski club)
Belfast - just one person wanted carriage all season
Bristol - 23%

Assuming (big assumption) that people who have their own skis will be more likely to go year after year - which is why we record the stats wink

(or it maybe that Northerners don't go to the Dolomites so don't show up in our stats)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's very interesting to compare with the snowHeads bashes.
On the EoSB roughly 50% of people had their own skis. Hearsay suggests that some of them were even Northern Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin,

(Hi G)

Yeah but the ESOB are for/by a ski club

Asking now as I have just (today) booked 500 seats out of Manchester and shed loads from London and at this size of groups you need find out how many extra bags to reserve space for, or I'll get wacked later for prices
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last time I looked Glasgow was relatively North.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin, and some of them drove. Which will distort your North / South divide wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob,
Yeah but the volume is MUCH less from Glasgow than Manchester so whatever the %'s from Scotland it will not really make much difference in the overall cost's.
But Manchester = big bucks (if we get it wrong)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, Ok you have percentage requesting ski carriage, but have you looked at percentage of flights going to ski destinations ? You need the correct proportion, also some airlines such as Flybe only have limited space for skis on some planes which will distort the figures yet again
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think your sample size is way too small to infer anything from it. If one ski club can skew your stats, then your sample size isn't big enough.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the mancs are spending all their cash on fake tan and blingin' one pieces wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf wrote:
Wayne, Ok you have percentage requesting ski carriage, but have you looked at percentage of flights going to ski destinations ?

In the summer we have flights to Peru Tanzania Nepal France etc
But the stats above are "all" going to ski resorts as they are for our ski (winter) product

Monium wrote:
I think your sample size is way too small to infer anything from it. If one ski club can skew your stats, then your sample size isn't big enough.

Maybe so but these are the raw stats.

Mind you I have cut down approx. 30% on flights and beds for next year
as I have a feeling about 2012 (skiing product)...... Idea
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne wrote:

Mind you I have cut down approx. 30% on flights and beds for next year as I have a feeling about 2012 (skiing product)...... Idea

No snow in Italy - you heard it here first!

Seriously you've got what seems to me a relatively competitive package offering so what's driving your concern - downturn in absolute market size or the big boys back to heavy & late discounting?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can I point out I am an exception to the rule as I am a Manc without fake tan and bling but do own my own set of skis! NehNeh
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brimster wrote:
Can I point out I am an exception to the rule as I am a Manc without fake tan and bling but do own my own set of skis! NehNeh

but which specific chip do you carry on your shoulder "I hate United" or "That'll show the Scousers"?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a Midlander, I, of course, own one ski.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob wrote:
so what's driving your concern - downturn in absolute market size or the big boys back to heavy & late discounting?

Not really concerned as such - eg (this year).
3 Peaks Challenge booking are up by 45% on last year.
4 Peaks Challenge up by 17%
Multi Activity weekends up 21%
Plus:
Inca trail / Everest Base Camp / Kilimanjaro / French Wine Walks / etc all well up.

But Puzzled

Skiing is way down on last year - not for us, we are about the same as last year now - but overall the industry bookings are (according to all reports) down by over 25% on last year.
So - coz I'm a tight git and I don't like having to pay for stuff that I don't think I can sell (little any market stall trader), I have cut down the options on next ski season.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
but which specific chip do you carry on your shoulder "I hate United" or "That'll show the Scousers"?

Doesn't that mean I actually have to care about football!?
snow conditions
You don't pay VAT on Skis in the South, so more people buy 'em... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Perhaps the % is low because carraige was not requested and they just turned up with their skis and chucked em on.
ski holidays
Quote:

Skiing is way down on last year - not for us, we are about the same as last year now - but overall the industry bookings are (according to all reports) down by over 25% on last year.

I for one am not taking the family next season. With the current exchange rate and rising cost of living it just works out too expensive and their priority is summer holiday over skiing. However I will be doing at least two long weekends instead Happy

oh and back to topic I'm a southerner with my own skis Happy
ski holidays
That's cos all canny northerners book one ski bag and get four pairs of skis in it.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
That's cos all canny northerners book one ski bag and get four pairs of skis in it.

or if the package offers free ski hire reckon they'll let someone else's skis take the wear and tear.
latest report
It doesn't seem many to me. Given the cost of ski hire, it make more sense to have my own skis (to me certainly). I'm neither north nor south.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
That's cos all tightwad yorkshiremen book one ski bag and get four pairs of skis in it.

FIFY Wink
snow report
I'm from Kent; consequently I own 3 skis.
snow report
Isn't this a bit "Pope is Catholic shocker"?

Seems to me it's in direct correlation to the general spread of wealth over the country. Taking a macro view of things (so people, please do not flame me about stereotypes etc);

The South is more affluent than the North
The South has more middle/upper class people than the North
Skiing is an expensive hobby
Skiing is, predominately, a middle/upper class activity
Ergo - The South has more regular skiers than the North (as opposed to occasionals), so it follows that more people in the South will be have their own skis.

*Steps back, picks up asbestos shield*
ski holidays
Wayne wrote:
Last season’s stats:
Percentage of passengers requesting ski carriage:

London (Gatwick) - 6.7%
London (Heathrow) - 6.3%
Manchester - 2.6%
Glasgow - 16.0%
Newcastle – 100% (mind you this was a ski club)
Belfast - just one person wanted carriage all season
Bristol - 23%

Assuming (big assumption) that people who have their own skis will be more likely to go year after year - which is why we record the stats wink

(or it maybe that Northerners don't go to the Dolomites so don't show up in our stats)

So where do the stats indicate more Southerners own their own skis?
snow report
Quote:

I'm neither north nor south.

To quote my sister in law from Essex "Anything north of the central line is up north luv" wink
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
So where do the stats indicate more Southerners own their own skis?

As much people depart from Manchester than all the other airports combined (excludeing London).
Mind you for next year Edinburgh has more people departing than Glasgow so what the el do, I/the stats, know

sbirring wrote:
To quote my sister in law from Essex "Anything north of the central line is up north luv" wink

My school was at the end of the central line Madeye-Smiley
But I live up-ere now
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John wrote:
Isn't this a bit "Pope is Catholic shocker"?

Seems to me it's in direct correlation to the general spread of wealth over the country. Taking a macro view of things (so people, please do not flame me about stereotypes etc);

The South is more affluent than the North
The South has more middle/upper class people than the North
Skiing is an expensive hobby
Skiing is, predominately, a middle/upper class activity
Ergo - The South has more regular skiers than the North (as opposed to occasionals), so it follows that more people in the South will be have their own skis.

*Steps back, picks up asbestos shield*

Not forgetting the South has a higher percentage of people up their own bottoms than the North.

When I have worked darn South, the one thing that strikes me is apart from the Capital's tourist areas, the majority of the places inside the M25 are dump's. That's not a fact, it is just my opinion, but it is an opinion formed by actually being there and seeing it first hand. Dr John have actually ever spent any time at all oop North to form such an opinion Puzzled .

BTW go to Manchester airport on any Saturday morning in the ski season, from what I can see it's much more than 2.6% taking skis. That work's out at 8 people on a 300 seat plane, check the ski bag collection point at the other end, it's far more than 8 bags and some of these will have more than one pair in and not all 300 passengers are going skiing.
latest report
Kel, it's not opinion, it's economics. The fact is that the South is more prosperous than the North to a quite ridiculous degree. I don't have a southern bias, no axe to grind, and I think it's to the detriment of the country as a whole, it's just that it happens to be the case. In other Europe countries wealth is spread more evenly than in the UK, with the possible exception of Italy where the North is extremely rich and the South is extremely poor.

Take a quick look through this list http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/3361042/Britains-richest-towns-10-1.html

And for the record I'm from Birmingham, which allows me to be as rude as I like about anywhere else in the UK.
snow conditions
Wayne,
Quote:

This years Crystal report will make interesting reading if that's the case Shocked
snow conditions
Dr John,
Interesting that none of the top 10 are inside the M25, which kind of confirms my opinion of the London suburb's. Yes it's true that area's of the South are desirable locations to live in and they are more expensive than the North. But surely the ability to go skiing is more about disposable income, will their be any cash left when the mortgage has been paid on these places, presuming that the majority are mortgaged and not bought with the family silver.

BTW I think your bit about skiing is a predominately middle/upper class activity is a tad out of date and has been thrashed to death on here.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-06-11 16:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
This years Crystal report will make interesting reading if that's the case Shocked

Be extremely cautious about anything that has a dual purpose (stats release and marketing). There are much better/reliable/accurate sources of information that the CR.
snow conditions
Kel, I thought we were talking about Southern England, not London? You seem to be obsessed with London, and displaying your own prejudices.

Quote:

But skiing is all about disposable income, is their any cash left when the mortgage has been paid on these places, presuming that the majority are mortgaged and not bought with the family silver

Hilarious conjecture finished off, yet again, with massive prejudice.

But I can see from this exchange that you're a very well balanced person. A chips on each shoulder.
snow report
Dr John,

Whats prejudice about stating the fact that paying the mortgage on a higher priced property will eat into diposable income. Don't quite get you slant on this. Oh and BTW look at the location of your top 10 and more to the point the commuting time to the Capital, so I does have relevance.

And whilst were talking about chips ..... Pot, Kettle, Black
latest report
Kel, read the post please. The bit about disposable income is conjecture, the "finished off" bit (therefore suggesting the last bit) about family silver is clear prejudice.

Anyway, I don't have any more time to waste on this. There's a lovely chilled Meursault and an oyster or three waiting for me at the Bluebird cafe on the Kings Road.

Pip pip!
snow conditions
Dr John,

You drivel on about skiing by predominately middle/upper class and I make a comment about the family silver, i.e. referring to the middle/upper classes. Then you call me prejudice Laughing Laughing.
snow conditions
What about folk like me who are northerners but live in the south and take our own skis Puzzled
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
What about folk like me who are northerners but live in the south and take our own skis Puzzled

Or folk like me who live in the North, but have flown from Gatwick on a late deal. Only a cheapskate Northerner would do that. Oop's can I state that, without being prejudice Laughing .
latest report
Kel
Within the M25 you have Chislehurst, Hampstead, Mayfair, Chelsea etc - everyone there's properly loaded; in the winter they burn skis as kindling for stradivarius fires.
The problem in London is that ,as well as never being more than 10 feet from a rat, you're never more than a mile from a scary shithole. The area within the M25 is huge - therefore the number of scary shitholes is huge.
But you are right about the number of people stuck up their own bottoms down here...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy