Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer skiing in stelvio

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever been summer skiing in stelvio pass, Italy near the resort of Bormio. I've heard it is amongst the best summer skiing in the world and as we will be heading to italy this August i'd love to factor in a visit. But, I can't seem to find any sites with advice regarding accomodation, lift access, even ski hire. Am I missing something? Has anyone ever skied stelvio in summer and if so any advice on any of the above or where may be best to find advice?

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are plenty of hotels on at the top of stelvio pass http://www.activehotels.com/1/3/stelvio-pass-hotels. There is a good lift system and a few plases for ski hire. But do avoid the german sausages as the didn't half give me gut ache and wind Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers, it's a help to know someone else on here has been out there. What i'm a bit concerned about is getting there to find the hotel i've booked is a 1000m below the snow and that it'll be expensive to get up there, for instance, is a hotel in Bormio an option or should I aim to be up at the top of the pass? We were looking at the Folore hotel mentioned in your link. Does anyone know how much you have to pay too much for ski pass or gondolas to the glacier, i read somewhere that you need to purchase both separately and that the gondolas can be 20euros per day before ski pass/ski hire and so on. We were thinking of getting tuition too so it could get pretty expensive. I will definitely steer clear of the sausages though! Cheers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Passo stelvio is a 40 min drive from bormio. Bormio is a beautiful old town with lots of summer activates. Which is very useful as it is best to ski in the am as the snow really suffers in the afternoon. If you contact one of the hotels on the pass they will tell you the cost of the lift passes. It is worth doing as the views up there are fantastic don't forget your sun cream.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got a place sorted up at the pass, hopefully will get down to Bormio a couple of afternoons as you say and hopefully get a bit of snow up there for some decent morning skiing!!! Thanks for the help
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickfal,
Quote:

I've heard it is amongst the best summer skiing in the world

Who have you heard that from??
Its a nice place for mountain holiday , but not worth the travel for summerskiing,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hope you have great time and don't forget to try out bagni vecchi or bagni nuovi for a really relaxing afternoon. We are going to be there from the end of august hope to see you on the slopes. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freeheelskier wrote:

Its a nice place for mountain holiday , but not worth the travel for summerskiing,

For UK-based skiers with not unlimited budgets, where's better?

[Not skied Selvio, but have done Tignes, L2A, Zermatt. So a genuine question.]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobW, To make a toplist what I think,
1 Zermatt
2 Hintertüx
3 Tignes
4 L2A
5 Val Senales
6 Kaprun
7 Mölltaler
This 7 resorts I have ski in europe inkluding Stelvio, And I find them better, And there is also a number of resorts in US/Canada that can offer summerskiing, and they are also better than Stelvio,,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We skied at Stelvio in 2005. I don’t remember it being as steep/varied as Tignes or Zermatt. Lovely area and much quieter than the other summer ski resorts
Fairly certain that we hired skis right next to the uplift. Camped near Bormio and drove up to the pass.
The pass was featured on Top Gear for some sort of driving stunt. It’s a lovely quality road, well protected and was great to drive. The valley was absolutely seething with marmottes, never seen so many.
Probably fair to describe it as a 'summer experience' rather than serious ski-ing.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some info on the area for summer trips but from the other quieter side.

The notable other road up is on the opposite side from Bormio and has 48 hairpin bends plus your entry road.
This is from the valley and village at 1550m aprox you probably won,t forget that road if you ever drive it or bicycle it.
This pass is the second highest in the alps (I think so anyway and certainly closed all winter).
Many summer activitys exist for all ages in the Stelvio outdoors even if its a great chairlift lunch.
This is possible in the valley with a full peak blue ice... mountain postcard view of Ortler (3905m)... from a quiet 2100m restaurant hutte.Its a sun trap too .

Low and higher options if you want to hike are around with three other huttes.
If you walk up to the Payer Hutte (built1875) at 3029m you view Ortler at 3905m above with its hanging ice, the summer stilfserjoch ski resort and all 48hairpin bends are across the valley in full view, still further below another small ski resort and village.
Up here on the upper icy rock paths wind has cut through rock to some dramatic shear drops but can be viewed safely.

A few hotels and a museum sit here in this very very scenic national park with much history and wildlife from marmots and all alpine animals to even the occasional visiting hungry bear.
In winter I have chased the many small and even large deer in the deep snow amongst trees, they come down for food during fresh snowfalls, this just happens while riding (a pure white snow bunnie was cool to see in spring )
So lots wildlife etc.

The valleys majestic Madatsch hotel is castle like and another family hotel The Bella Vista has 4 crystal world cups inside and belongs to Gustav Thoni family.
You can stop in to view them and take a drink probably welcomed by his wife or daughter and possibly served a beer by a 4x world champion skier or his family in english, italian or german.

Royality used to holiday in this valley with wellbeing from the 3 fountains,waterfall ,skiing and climbing were offered but the massive hotel was burnt down suddenly as the 1st war started.
The skiing may be better elsewhere but the views and tranquility from the region around Ortler are something you will remember at a affordable cost.
I think Reinhold Messner has a Yak farm, Yak resturant and museum in the next valley in the village of Sulden with lift access to 1800m for a further Payer hutte walk and overnight for a summit Ortler climb .
Other huttes are at 2000m and 2600m for shorter walks and are great too,some basic.

Costs are unlike mega french resorts... the very small church grave yards typically have only 5-6 family names.
You can see this on the stones as the same single familys names are repeated having lost most sons, who lie here from during the war years.
War 1 was fought at 3000m here intensely and signs of this are about.
So it can be a summer region to visit with much to offer from history to walking, climbing and family camping,probably not the best summer skiing but teams ski train here as did world champions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy