Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paris RER with skis & snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone carried ski equipment on the RER (or Metro).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
moosewurst, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Haven't carried stuff myself, but been with others when they have. Some of the gates can be a bit tricky, but there are usually alternatives. Where are you planning on travelling from and to? The route we've done is Gare du Nord to Gare d'Austerlitz.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes. Some years ago, but I don't recall any particular problems. Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon for me.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Done RER Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon with skis and a couple of rucsacks no real problems - escalators are provided to go down and up a couple of levels. Metro GdN to Austerlitz also OK, except at Austerlitz there are no escalators only steps to get the two levels from the high level Metro station to the ground level main line. Both a few times. Yes the gates are only just wide enough to get a rucksack through on your back, but I manage OK, and there are baggage gates to push skis/board bags through reasonably easily if you don't want to take them through the personnel gates.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the only issue i found on the metro is that the doors don't stay open long so you have to get a move on if you have a lot of stuff
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for responses, will be travelling GdN to Notre Dame, & don't like my chances of putting skis & snowboard in a taxi.
At least towing much luggage, it might give a bit more personal space from the pickpockets. I read that GdN is a bit of a hotspot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moosewurst, taking skis etc on the Metro no real problems other than those mentioned above, I was doing a solo trip when I last used the Metro and have to admit pushing stuff through the baggage gates was made me a little nervous of someone running off with my kit but everything went fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've done Gare du Nord to Gares d'Austerlitz, de l'Est, de Lyon and de Bercy.

Austerlitz in 9 stops down line 5.
Lyon is a couple of stops on RER D (I think).
Gare de l'Est isn't worth metroing to as it's only a 10 minute walk.
I think we went to Bercy on RER - there's about a 4-500m walk at the other end though.

I usually travel with a big wheely double ski bag which can be a little bit of an issue during the Paris rush-hour but if I get dirty looks, I just tell them, "Shh grand-mère dort!"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
admin wrote:

Lyon is a couple of stops on RER D (I think).
Yes, did it two days ago (but without skis)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arrival at GdN about 13:00pm. Will avoid the rush hours.
We do travel in the Tokyo Metro regularly with all the gear so somewhat used to it.
We will be very obvious "Tourists in Transit", hope it doesn't attract undue attention.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RER to GdL is faster than a taxi and Metro to GdA the same. That's not even taking into account the huge queues for taxis and the big cost.
As Arno said, though, you have to hurry out of the train if you have lots of baggage or doors may close on you as you struggle out.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
how long do people recon from Lyon to Nord, i have a tight transfer and wondering if i have enough time...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
40 mins should be OK but I'd be more comfortable with an hour
the actual journey time on the RER is probably less than 15 mins but there is inevitably a bit of faff
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moosewurst, Done this with a wheelie ski bag and a rucksack lot's of time. Just don't overpack the ski bag wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have travelled from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon a number of times with two young children four cases 2 boot bags and a few other small bags!

My tips would be as follows:
- buy metro/RER tickets in a book of 10 at St Pancras
- pay attention to valubles as there are a lot of shady characters around gare du nord - people trying to offer you trolleys then take your 1 euro etc.
- look up the metro map before you depart so you know which line you are travelling on and in which direction (marked by end station on the line)
- be prepared to carry everything as you will encounter the odd flight of stairs or broken escalator.
- Allow one hour for the transfer between stations (in case eurostar is slightly late, time spent going down to metro/RER, coming back up etc.)
- Avoid taking the RER on Friday evening rush hour. We found ourselves doing this once and won't repeat the experience - think sardines!!!
- Find out which side of Gare De Lyon your onward train will be departing from if possible. The station is very large and in two distinct sections. If you have a lot of luggage it takes a while to move between the two.
- there are also numerous exits from gare de lyon RER to the main station concourse so it may take a few mins to work out which one to take.

We did draw the line at taking the RER when the youngest was still in a maclaren buggy. However I wouldn't be put off by carrying skis/other stuff.

once you are on the RER it is pretty quick and you can avoid the taxi queue and Parisian driving.
snow report
http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/ is a useful guide to all things ski+train, e.g. http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/how-change-paris/transfer-paris-nord-paris-lyon
latest report
moosewurst, ...entirely do-able.

last time for me was a 40 min marathon dash from Nord to Gare de Lyon - crash out of Eurostar with full kit for two weeks including skis - run to metro...run run run down steps...run run run at interchange...run run run up stairs at Lyon....run run run to platform, jump on TGV to Landry and doors close 15 seconds behind me. Done. Watch France go by at stupid speeds on smooth, megafast train....Sleeeeeeeeeeep...dream of running, running.
snow conditions
Arno, thanks we hae just over an hour so should be okay
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy