Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where in Austria is better over Christmas, with small kids?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've ordered flights to Munich from the 24th till the 31, sat-sat, so that's no problem, we have a "standard week".
We'll be going with our boys, aged 3 and 5 and also with my MIL, who doesn't ski. I'm looking for somewhere that is relatively close to the airport, not too expensive and also suitable for my MIL (nice village, relatively big christmas market etc).
I'm looking at places in Zillertal and around Ski Amade (Schladming, Altenmarkt, Wagrain), but cannot find info that's relevant to our needs. Maybe we're better off in Kitzbuhel (and my wallet worse off)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm sure somewhere in Ski Amade would fit the bill. I'm sure Flangsax, SammerbergSue and Waynos will here t give you some tips soon!!

Kersh
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sugardaddy, Kitzbuhel is certainly nice at Christmas - it might be a bit cheaper to stay at Kirchberg or St Johann, both of which are just a few miles from Kitzbuhel with easy transport into Kitz for for your MIL by train or bus. Alternatively Zell am See is good at Christmas, I believe there is usually a Christmas Market in the town square up till Christmas and the town brass band plays music from the town hall balcony on Christmmas Eve. Your suggestion of Zillertal is good also (I'm a great fan of the Zillertal and have been many times). It's easy to get to by train from Munich (get off at Jenbach at the foot of the Zillertal and transfer onto the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway that runs all the way up the valley to Mayrhofen). Mayrhofen is the largest and best known resort, but there is also good skiing at Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen. The Zillertalbahn is included on the area liftpass. Around Christmas time they also run a steam locomotive daily which the kids would probably like to see - although that's not included in the liftpass.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sugardaddy, just be aware that quite a few Christmas Markets run from late November to Christmas Eve.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen, good point, we'll be arriving sat morning, so we''ll have to make sure not to miss it in the evening.

Alastair Pink,
Quote:

there is also good skiing at Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach/Hochfugen.

which one would you say is a nicer village? We're looking for a place that will be nice to walk around, have a nice atmosphere (may i say chocolate box fantasy?) without having to take a train etc (I'd rather stay away from Mayrhofen, as I remember it as very night-clubby kind of place)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sugardaddy wrote:

Alastair Pink,
Quote:

which one would you say is a nicer village? We're looking for a place that will be nice to walk around, have a nice atmosphere (may i say chocolate box fantasy?) without having to take a train etc (I'd rather stay away from Mayrhofen, as I remember it as very night-clubby kind of place)

I would say Zell am Ziller is the nicer village - it's bigger than Kaltenbach (which is very small). Zell am Ziller has a nice church and plenty of nice cafes/Konditoreis with calorie laden cakes Toofy Grin and restaurants. Note there are no nursery slopes directly in the village - there are frequent shuttle busses that go to the Rosenalmbahn gondola basestation which is about a mile from the centre. At the top of the 2 stage Rosenalmbahn there is a baby lift which the kids skischool area uses (and of course other links into the whole extensive Zillertal Arena ski area, see piste map

Having said all that, if you're after "chocolate box fantasy" then have you considered Alpbach or Westendorf? Both of them (at different times) have been voted as the prettiest village in Austria Toofy Grin . I've been to both (in fact I learned to ski at Alpbach). Both are excellent for beginners/young kids, and have small nursery slopes in the village.

Hope this helps. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From my Kitzbuhel experience, the Christmas market will have finished by the time you get there. When we have done Christmas in Austria (6 times) we have done it the "local" way. That is presents on Christmas Eve and the family meal and celebrations then. Christmas Day is like one of our Bank Holidays.

We took non-skiers to Kitzbuhel at Christmas with success. There are excellent train links to Salzburg and Innsbruck so away-days are very possible. I believe the TOs also do Venice trips. I don't remember Kitzbuhel being any more expensive than Mayrhofen, and it is the tops in terms of your need to have a nice little town to look at. It is very pretty.

snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alastair Pink, cheers. I'll look into Zell am Ziller and Westendorf is also a good idea (didn't look at that area as i remember a rather disappointing trip to Ellmau). Alpbach is quite small , and I'd rather go somewhere where i have at least the option of better skiing.
Chris Bish, we'll have a hired car, anyway. Thing is Kitz sounds more expensive
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugardaddy, If you have a car then go to Altenmarkt or Radstadt and base yourself in the middle of the Amade region, with easy links back into Salzburg for the MIL either by train or straight back along the motorway. Nice towns with interesting shops and lots of Cafés, Konditorei, etc. As well as lots of things like old houses, local museums, castles and churches to look at.

Kitz will be expensive at that time as the hoteliers know that lots of tourists want to be away for the Christmas "experience". It is quite a trek, even by train to Salzburg and Innsbruck (the latter includes changing trains at Kufstein or Wörgl).

The Christmas Markets are finished as of 12.00 on the 24th. They run from the first Advent weekend (4 Sundays before Christmas) up to the 24th. The special family time is Christmas Eve (Heilig Abend), even the lifts and lessons end earlier so all the locals can get back to their families for the evening. That is when presents are exchanged, special meal and church afterwards. Christmas Day as we know it does not exist - the Germans and Austrians just call the 25th "First Christmas Day" and Boxing Day is the Second Christmas Day (Erste und Zweite Weihnachts Tage). Most people travel to their ski resort on the 25th so on the 24th the roads are very quiet.

The local ski schools will take your boys off your hands for the whole day if you want or just a half day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sugardaddy wrote:
nozawaonsen, good point, we'll be arriving sat morning, so we''ll have to make sure not to miss it in the evening.

Alastair Pink,
Quote:

You'll struggle to find much open in the evening on the 24th. As SamerbergSue says, they celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve so pretty much everywhere closes down, supermarkets, restaurants.

Not sure what local businesses will be doing with regards to 'standard weeks' over the Christmas periods with Christmas Eve being a Saturday, but I know that a number of UK TO's have altered their change-over day for the Christmas period.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sugardaddy wrote:
Alastair Pink, cheers. I'll look into Zell am Ziller and Westendorf is also a good idea (didn't look at that area as i remember a rather disappointing trip to Ellmau). Alpbach is quite small , and I'd rather go somewhere where i have at least the option of better skiing.
Chris Bish, we'll have a hired car, anyway. Thing is Kitz sounds more expensive

Westendorf is much better and nicer than the other areas of the Ski Welt, and my grandparents have spent a fair bit of time there as non-skiers without getting bored. Not the biggest village in the world, but it's relatively easy to get to Innsbruck (ace Christmas market btw) and Kitz. I'd recommend the Hotel Glockenstuhl, if it's not already full of repeat guests. Run by a great family, awesome food, lovely wellness area/sauna/pool - and they can organise stuff in the day for the non-skiers too.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd have a look at Maria Alm and Dienten too. It's very picturesque round Hochkoenig. Little villages, ski in ski out options, health spas, etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy