Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Club Forum Closed !

Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Um, there are several English language ski forums on the net in places beyond these shores.

Do people speak English beyond these shores? I had no idea. Anyway, there seems to be a place for a UK based forum, if only because the others will, reasonably enough, major on N.American, AU and NZ resorts, and of course the general stuff (bombs, cricket and so on) is UK specific (I have no wish to discuss rugby with a NZer or cricket with an Aussie, and life is too short to discuss either with a N.American).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat, Anyone would think that you had thrown in the towel over this Epic saga and gone all Native(s) snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, you never know who's reading ..... . I'm far from convinced that using what appears to be a genuine name adds credibility. You use what is apparently a gen name, but you might actually be Celia Molestrangler, a retired bus conductress from Truro, sole interests internet forums and used paper bags, for all we know.

I remain anonymous because I feel more comfortable doing so in an environment where I don't know who anyone is, however plausible their name is. My name would add no credibility (especially for anyone who actually knows me).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richmond, one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made is posting here under my real name! Now David Goldsmith seems to be trying to trace my address though the SCGB membership data base. Scary stuff, to be sure!

We know where you live etc. Also one of the Mods on here has been tracing my fixed IP!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richmond:
Quote:

you never know who's reading

Now there's a cryptic remark !! Care to elaborate?
Several anonymous SCGB members who post here presumably don't wish to compromise their social standing or privileges within the Club. I guess that's fair enough - better to have people saying something, rather than nothing.
One reason I suspect that the Ski Club forum is no longer a haven of free speech is - admittedly - that members are forced to use real names. No names, no packdrill, as they say.

Now, there's an irony!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Now David Goldsmith seems to be trying to trace my address though the SCGB membership data base.

No, I'm certainly not! I have no access to the SCGB database, and am not seeking access.
Since you're so concerned, Tim, did you know that many membership organisations print name/address lists of members? BASI comes close to it, at least they did last time I renewed membership.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, - I'm sure some people probably do ! Perhaps even me ?
Perhaps I just used the wrong one today by accident ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tim Brown, actually any of the mods can trace your ISP it takes us just one mouse click, it would allow us to complain to an ISP if for example we found someone abusing the system. Yes it's theoretically possible to take that further and find an individuals real address, but quite honestly it's just not worth the effort Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Richmond:
Quote:

you never know who's reading

Now there's a cryptic remark !! Care to elaborate?[/b]

Just a fatuous remark, although my explanation of why I choose to remain anonymous is not (intentionally) fatuous.

I wouldn't walk into a pub and announce my name to one and all, so why would I in an internet forum?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Because you don't want to talk to everyone in a pub? Presumably your intention is to talk to everyone in these (un)licensed premises.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf wrote:
Tim Brown, actually any of the mods can trace your ISP it takes us just one mouse click, it would allow us to complain to an ISP if for example we found someone abusing the system. Yes it's theoretically possible to take that further and find an individuals real address, but quite honestly it's just not worth the effort Laughing

D G Orf, yes, but you took it one step further and released my isp details on snowheads. A breach of trust on your part, as I did not give you permission to publish any of my personal details.

I think you should resign as a mod for that. That would be the honourable course of action. The question is; will you take it?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 14-07-07 10:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith, so to sum up your position: it is important for anyone who supports the SCGB to do so under their real name. But anyone criticising the SCGB has the right to remain anonymous.

Unbelievable double standards!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

27,000 people are members of the Ski Club - they have not "registered access to the forum "- presumably because they are not interested in web-chats. ( Though perhaps the Club could encourage more members to use it).
There may be a lot of "chat" here but over half of the registered users have posted zero or one time only. This is from a self selected group of 2360 registered users who presumably DO visit chat sites, and do ski or board, as they have ended up here and so might be expected to contribute,
Here, the top 5 posters account for nearly 19% of traffic, top10 for nearly 30% and top 35 (those with over 1000 posts) for 59%
ie nearly 60% of the discussion is amongst less than 1.5% of the registered Snowheads.
My conclusion is that not as many people are interested in using forums - even ones thay have conciously registered on - as you seem to think should be !

David Goldsmith, I posted this yesterday when you questioned the number of members using the Ski Club site. There was absolutely no response.
I shall now leave you few to continue chatting amongst yourselves - you clearly like the sound (sight?) of your own words and dislike anyone joining in who doesn't toe the line.
I'm back to work today anyway - Bye bye
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, there's discussion on this on the Tim Brown thread. My advice - he can always take up another pseudonym if he feels his position has been comprised. Can he take up another personality though?? Very Happy

Scrumpy, it's only one person that is saying you should post under your real name. Don't take it so personally - I for one think people have every right to post anonymously if they wish to.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tim Brown, No I have no intention of resigning over that, I didn't release the full details I merely asked you aabout your ISP so I won't be going. Given that at the time you were doing your full Troll act, you only got what you deserved
ski holidays
Tim. You're putting words into my mouth/fingers. It's an old debating trick, but I never said that I'm afraid.

Scrumpy. Am I obliged to respond to such 'logic'. I assume you're busy here because you're not busy on the SCGB forum. Doesn't that strike you as slightly peculiar since you, I, and 27,000 others pay for the service? That's all I'm getting at, really!
latest report
D G Orf, what's this?

Quote:
D G Orf
FreeRider
Tim Brown,
Quote:

The fact remains, being very overweight is unhealthy

But not as unhealthy as annoying a troll hunter Shocked By the way is XXX a good internet provider ? Twisted Evil

Last edited by D G Orf on Fri Jul 29, 05 9:14; edited 1 time in total

If I remember correctly those three little XXX's used to be three little letters. Or have I made a mistake? I see you edited that post this morning.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, so what is your position on people criticising the SCGB from behind a pseudonym, then? Your position is very clear on people who support the club, you don't like them using a pseudonym!
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:
D G Orf, what's this?

Quote:
D G Orf
FreeRider
Tim Brown,
Quote:

The fact remains, being very overweight is unhealthy

But not as unhealthy as annoying a troll hunter Shocked By the way is XXX a good internet provider ? Twisted Evil

Last edited by D G Orf on Fri Jul 29, 05 9:14; edited 1 time in total

If I remember correctly those three little XXX's used to be three little letters. Or have I made a mistake? I see you edited that post this morning.

Tim Brown, strangely enough, yes DG Orf edited the post, because you had raised a complaint that it had information in it which you felt should not have been there, so he was good enough to go back and delete it.

Now that he has fulfilled the request, you appear to be complaining that he shouldn't have removed it,
Which do you want?
snow report
Tim Brown, I've challenged non-SCGB members for using nicknames on the forum. All I find odd is that members of a 102-year-old institution would need to do it. We're older, wiser and more up-front - hopefully.

I generally only challenge nickname users if they appear to be using arguments that are not bona-fide.

One thing I find most odd - am I right in saying that the name 'Tim Brown' has not appeared on the SCGB's own forum - ever? Or have you posted and I haven't noticed?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, I'm not complaining that he edited it. I'm not going to thank him for removing it, though. He shouldn't have published that information and I still think he should go.

That kind of behaviour is the thin end of the wedge! If it goes unpunished, it will out all the wrong signals. As a moderator he should have known better. Or do you think that moderators like you and he should be allowed to publish peoples' personal details?
snow report
P.S. to my last post. I've never seen the name 'Beck Daross' on the SCGB forum, either. And I'd appreciate it if Scrumpy would PM me with a genuine name, if that person is an SCGB member.
latest report
Tim Brown wrote:
That kind of behaviour is the thin end of the wedge! If it goes unpunished, it will out all the wrong signals. As a moderator he should have known better. Or do you think that moderators like you and he should be allowed to publish peoples' personal details?

I'm not a moderator on here.

I do not think moderators should publish PERSONAL details, but an ISP is not personal - it is not unique to you, nor does it identify you in any way.
If he had published your work IP address, that would be a different matter.
ski holidays
Tim Brown, out of interest, if I were to choose to publish personal information of my own, should I have the right to go back in and edit or delete it?
I believe I should. But I have been told by some moderators (not here) that I shouldn't.
ski holidays
Tim Brown, that post was first put up by DG Orf on March 07. Why have you waited until now to complain?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
David Goldsmith wrote:
And I'd appreciate it if Scrumpy would PM me with a genuine name.

How about "Tim Brown", that genuine enough ? wink
latest report
Oh do chill out!

Tim, if u want people to take it easy on u, u need to set the form and take it easy yourself.
What isp u use is of no more significance than what supermarket u shop in or what beer u drink. And is probably far less telling about what demographic u belong to than either of these examples so in reality far less significant.

DGO has commited, at most, a minor web faux pas in mentioning it (no more serious than my saying "I ran into David Goldsmith in Tesco's the other day") and furthermore, he has removed the detail at the first instance that he was aware of your feeling any 'discomfort' over it. Further, it strikes me that u may not even have picked up on it were it not for his choice of smilie in attempting faux-menace.

Let's try to keep a perspective here: I'm sure we are all missing the mountains now that we are in the midst of our deep bleak summer but nevertheless, molehills are never going to make satisfactory substitutes.

How about:
DGO: "sorry i mentioned your isp Tim"
Tim: "sorry I made such a big deal of it David"

Biiig hugs Eh oh!
snowHead snowHeads love each other very much snowHead
snow report
I can do that

sorry i mentioned your isp Tim Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro, the severity of what he had done was not apparent to me at the time. However, it was subsequently pointed out to me that that disclosure was a clear breach of trust. Also, it was pointed out that putting an ISP to my name would make me much more traceable. A couple of scenarios were put to me, neither being very pleasant. I won't repeat them here for fear of giving anyone ideas.

David Goldsmith, do you say that all wishing to discuss the SCGB on here should do so under their real names?

Quote:
I generally only challenge nickname users if they appear to be using arguments that are not bona-fide.

So in other words you make the rules up to suit youself? Is there a jury here to decide if an argument is bona-fide or not?

Now, you also accused me of abusing maque by calling him a liar. Acually I think I proved he was lying, with a little help from you, of course. But, I'm interested, don't you think lying is a form of abuse? If so, then masque is at fault, is he/it not. Or are you saying that masuqe told the truth?
snow conditions
Tim, my dear friend. You reap ...

... what you sow.
ski holidays
Can someone really be traced through knowing their Internet Service Provider? Shocked
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, not a chance.

At work I've Demon as our ISP. Anybody's welcome to try, a lolly for the winner. wink

Small Print:Not you blinking mods though as you have a head start and don't need lollies anyway.
latest report
Elizabeth B, it is unlikely, but not impossible.
snow conditions
admin wrote:

Dear Admin,
Please remove yourself from moderator status as you have just revealed DG Orf's first name as being David.

Yours Sincerely

WTFH.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing
latest report
I should also apologise to DG Orf for revealing his top-secret HQ in Austria:

The Orf Funkhouse
latest report
Tim Brown wrote:
Elizabeth B, it is unlikely, but not impossible.

It would be a lot easier to read through your posts, and track down any facts about yourself that you may have revealed, which could then be used to trace you.
Knowing who someone's ISP is provides about as much information as saying you live somewhere in Europe.
snow report
[quote="Wear The Fox Hat"][quote="admin"]
[/quote]

Dear Admin,
Please remove yourself from moderator status as you have just revealed DG Orf's first name as being David.

Yours Sincerely

WTFH.[/quote]

He'd already revealed that himself. What's your real name and your isp, btw?
snow report
Tim, this slogan of yours - "The man who gives it to you straight!"

How about giving me a banana.
snow conditions
Drag your knuckles off to the greengrocer and bloody well buy your own.

By the way, I await your answer regarding masque and truth.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy