Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can I start thinking about it yet?

Poster: A snowHead
The ski season I mean!

This year I am thinking that I am going to buy some skis for myself!

It looks like I am going to be blessed with the luxury of 2x one week holidays, so I am going to use the first week to test some skis and buy at the end of the week and the 2nd week (later in the season) to get great at skiing them!

Last year I rented a pair of Dynastar legend 8000 and liked them very much, I have been advised that Atomic R9 is somewhat similar and I should test them. What else should I add to my list of things to demo?

I am looking for a ski that will be good on piste (I only have 6 weeks skiing under my belt!) but still be with me when I venture into some softer snow!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should this thread be in the equipment section?

A friend of mine who has done a similar amount of skiing to you has just purchased the Rossi Bandit B2.

When you test the skis make sure you tell the hire shop at the start of the week that you intend to buy at the end. Most shops will knock the cost of renting the demo skis off the purchase price of your skis if you buy from them at the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought those for my first ski (B2) - fantastic. If you want to progress onto some off piste and silly stuff then they really cope with a little bit of everything.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fragglerock, I'm just retiring my old pair of Dyna Intuitiv Bigs which I think are the granddaddy of the Legend 8000s. They were a great ski. These replaced a pair of Atomic 9.22s (earlier model of the R9). I found these to be quite different skis. The Atomics were a bit better on-piste (but not really outstanding). However, the Bigs were incomparably better off-piste. I'd choose Dynastars every time myself. I replaced the Bigs with Dyna Legend Pros so I put my money where my mouth is!

Other skis in the Atomic range may be worth looking at. The Metron range gets good write-ups as a do-everything ski. I'm a bit dubious about do-everything skis (do nothing very well, more like) but that's another topic.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love my B2s. I find that they cope with pretty much anything.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fragglerock wrote:
I am looking for a ski that will be good on piste (I only have 6 weeks skiing under my belt!) but still be with me when I venture into some softer snow!

I'd certainly recommend testing the Atomic Metron range, say the M11 or the b5's - absolutely superb on piste (sorry Kramer & Beanie1 but I reckon far superior to the Bandit B2) & will most certainly still be with you off.

The new Nordica Hot Rod range are apparently in the Metron mould as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
The Metron range gets good write-ups as a do-everything ski. I'm a bit dubious about do-everything skis (do nothing very well, more like) but that's another topic.

You need to demo the b5's soonest.

Check out http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=22186&highlight=Metron
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blasphemy!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I too am looking to buy again this year (after a while of rental) and had been impressed with all the reports about the B2s - but now this thread and the opinions thereon seem to show that is is (a) not everyone's favourite, and (b) seemlngly suited for a wide range of levels - does this mean jack of all, master of none?

(ducks to avoid "B2 or not B2" flame war - btw did you see what I did there? Blush )

spyderjon, are these Atomics generally available in resort? (sitting in the 'cave' I have a pair of Atomic 195cm 'straights' - thats how old they are - that I was comfortable on, until trying the ubiqitous carvers and so don't have a problem with the brand )
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, Sorry but yes. I really tried to like the B2's but on piste they just don't cut it. Yes they good off piste but on they were damp/lifeless on as well as slow edge to edge. As most of fragglerock's skiing will be mostly on piste then I don't think the B2's are the best choice.

The B2 has been around for a few years now & technology has simply moved on meaning that the long held 'do-everything but nothing very well' views no longer apply.

It will be interesting to see what's coming for 05/06 but I'm sure that many makers will be trying to copy Atomic's latest technology that means that the previously 'impossible in one package' features of tight radius, short length, high speed stability & good floatation are now available in one package. You have to try the b5's to believe it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JimW wrote:
are these Atomics generally available in resort?

They weren't last season in Europe as I'm told that most of the production went to the US. Hopefully better next season.

EB's at Castleford currently have a pair of 162cm M11 demo's available to try - I was on them today Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, unfortunately I've got a good few years wear on my B2s left, so I won't be trying B5s anytime soon. Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, I'm not going to be tempted, I'm afraid. I just don't buy the idea that something that short and with that much shape will perform as well off piste as my relatively straight dedicated fatties. The Metron may rival the performance of my piste skis (SX11s) but I'm not looking to replace them right now
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tried the Metron M11's and B5's in resort last season and wasn't really impressed, far too much like hard work and not fun to ski all day long. The B2's absolutely rocked my world however so bought a pair to replace my old 2003 Crossmax 10's. The B2's allowed me to take my skiing to the next level, will be sticking with them for the next few years at least. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BrightonSki, welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
BrightonSki, Good for you. There's lots of skis out there, and we all want our skis to work for us, congrats on finding the right ski for your needs-it can be quite a challenge Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy