Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt for Stag do?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I am currently in the process of organising a next year's ski week in the Alps but this year it will be with a twist, one day put aside for a stag do. I have only ever skiied Zermatt on a visit from over the hill in Cervinia and loved it, but was wondering what your thoughts were as it being a venue for a day's stag. Something along the lines of a day of fancy dress skiing, followed by apres simply rolling in to the night? Any recommendations/ tips etc would be welcomed.

Cheers folks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shenryo, it'll be great but somewhat draining on the old wallet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It really depends on the age and maturity of the stag and the group. It is probably not ideal for a young group, but may be more suited to a more mature stag.

There are plenty lively bars in Zermatt though, although they will be at the expensive end of apres ski bars. (so take a few hipflasks)

My Timeout manual says : Book in Experts, gourmets, trainspotters and look elsewhere: Beginners, budgeteers, doorstep skiers.

That was in 2005 before the lift connections between the ski areas. In other words, the electric buses which you had to get to transfer between the Gornergrat railway and Schwarzee lift area, can now be bypassed (I believe although I may need to be corrected)

As for budgeteers, I skied there on a budget over Christmas, and it was one of the cheapest 5 days skiing holiday I have ever had.

rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, been a while since I was there. Do the police still crack down on noisy revellers after 10pm? If so maybe not the best place for a stag do.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, I don't remember having to curtail my activities after 10. In fact, come to think of it, I probably didn't make it out til after 10.

Bigtipper, you must have been on the free wine or you are World Minesweeping Champ then.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shenryo, Bring multiple rolls of CHF totalling 350 Francs (That will be required to bail yourself out every night)

BASI had moved courses from Zermatt due to the eagar local bobbies locking the more enthusiastic Apres skiers up.

Try Verbier instead similar but with more tolerance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
we are a more mature stag, I am the youngest and will be 28.Fattes13, we skiied Verbier a couple of seasons back so the group are wanting something different, but I agree, it would be a good place for a stag

are there good apres-bars like Verbier and Austria?

surely they must get those out much later than 10pm on a nightly basis though?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't imagine anywhere beating Ischgl or St Anton for a stag do.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shenryo, Austria list below, Apres is much livlier in Austria and much more prevelant than anywhere else in Europe
Anton and Ischgel would be at the higer price point and the other two are just all round carnage.

St Anton
Ischgel
Mayrhofen
Ischgel
Saalbach-
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:

Unless of course you had any aspiration of meeting girls!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shenryo, Swiss I'm afraid have a distinct lack of humor when it comes to even slightly loud people in the streets after 10pm, bars are ok (if expensive) but once you go onto the street you need to be quiet (except for NYE) they actually have noise police (I think something like civil defence police) who get the job of patrolling the streets after 10ish in Wengen they are usually not too bad just asking people to be quiet so others can sleep but I've heard tales of them getting nasty if you don't quieten down, I would imagine Zermatt being the same.

Think I agree with others who suggest that maybe one of the Austrian resorts may be better for a Stag do, don't get me wrong I love Switzerland but I think Austria does Apres Ski better
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

There are plenty in each, they're full of hot skandies!! At least, I never had any trouble...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, I can't imagine it either, but we skiied Ischgl this season and St. Anton the two before that... think we're wanting to try somewhere new at the same time
jbob, excellent haha, they sure are both sausage fests D G Orf, is it really that bad? don't they have clubs? it must happen all the time surely?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

There was a distinct lack of females in St Anton when I was there. There was a ratio of somewhere like 5 males to 1 female as far as I could work out based on on piste and apres ski (perhaps all the females were baking cakes?) Zermatt did not have quite the same ratio, but it was at a different time of the year. I was in St Anton before the official opening of the resort, and skied on the first day of the official opening. In Zermatt I was there over the Christmas period, so it would have more of a family atmosphere than usual (although I was in the youth hostel where there were not that many families). The youth hostel definately has a 10 pm curfew, and it is not suitable for stag do's (unless they are in the afternoon, and you are all t-total).

I would say that there is a lap dancing bar in Solden. These bars often appear in places where the ratio of males to females is skewed. Ischgl apparantly has 3 lap dancing bars (according to a website on the internet) . Zermatt has none as far as I am aware, but there are probably naked saunas and so forth, which can have similar effects.

Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ischgl was packed with clunge when I visited.....
latest report
Quote:

Swiss I'm afraid have a distinct lack of humor when it comes to even slightly loud people in the streets after 10pm

not to mention off the streets. My son was told off for flushing the loo in an apartment block after 10 pm. If you want to do noisy at night, don't do it in Switzerland. Sure, there will be people out drinking after 10 pm. Some people, surprisingly, are able to do that without making life unpleasant for others by being big gobs in the street. That's why it's for the more mature stag, I suppose.

Are all your mates absolutely made of money? My son in law went to a mate's stag do in Bude last weekend - it was just a weekend, renting a cottage, surfing, beach cricket and a club on the Saturday night. But they're rather hard up at the moment and that weekend cost him more than his entire months's entertainment budget - leaving nothing to spend on doing something with wife/baby. The girl who cuts my hair was complaining mightily about a good friend who'd organised a hen party in Spain - she couldn't afford it, it was going to have to be her main holiday of the summer and it definitely wouldn't have been her choice. But she felt she had no choice or her friend would be offended.

These stag and hen things seem to be becoming a bit of a tyranny - great if you're loaded, and your mates are all loaded, but not so great if people feel constrained to spend money they'd rather spend on something different.

Po-faced rant over. wink
snow conditions
shenryo, it's not bad and indeed they do make plenty of noise in the clubs, but those clubs have a good amount of sound insulation in them, it's just that teh Swiss seem to care a great deal about not disturbing the neighbourhood.

pam w, I'm afraid your son got told off because it's actually against the law in Switzerland to flush toilets in an apartment building after 10pm, same principle, you are not supposed to disturb other peoples sleep, and many of the older apartment buildings have very thin walls and loud toilets, extraordinary I know but true none the less, I don't think this applies in hotels though.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm afraid your son got told off because it's actually against the law in Switzerland to flush toilets in an apartment building after 10pm

He spent one New Year in Zurich. He said there was a great party in the street, lots of champagne. But unlike other nationalities, the Swiss didn't break any bottles, or even strew them around, but left them piled very neatly and carefully in certain spots.

I don't knock it - it's a shame that in this country we don't seem to be capable of dealing with the appalling noise and behaviour which is ruining so many towns - not just big cities, but small market towns, too.
snow report
Keep it simple, go to the places where there's an infrastructure and attitude that can accommodate a stag, and that means Verbier/Val d'Isere/Meribel/St Anton/Ischgl if you're flush, Alp Dooez if you're not.
snow conditions
Quote:
it's a shame that in this country we don't seem to be capable of dealing with the appalling noise and behaviour

Yeah, 'cause that is solely a British problem...... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Guvnor, absolutely. The Germans, Skandis and Dutch are all models of sobriety and sophistication when they're on the sauce.

Oh, no, wait, I might have got that last bit wrong....
snow report
D G Orf wrote:

pam w, I'm afraid your son got told off because it's actually against the law in Switzerland to flush toilets in an apartment building after 10pm, same principle, you are not supposed to disturb other peoples sleep, and many of the older apartment buildings have very thin walls and loud toilets, extraordinary I know but true none the less, I don't think this applies in hotels though.

I guess a decent curry house is a bit of a rarity in that case Toofy Grin

Out of curiosity, at what time does flushing become legal again?
ski holidays
Guvnor, errrr... brilliant!
pam w, can't say we're all made of money but budget has been discussed and everybody is happy with that it would seem, after all, it is a ski week too, not just a stag
Dr John, I'm starting to think along those lines I must sayChasseur, hahaha excellent!

so... I'm getting the gist that, although we wouldn't be a ridiculous stag, as I say I am the youngest and will be 28... Zermatt maybe isn't the place to ski around all day in super hero costumers, 3pm apres bar dancing on the tables and then out for the evening? lol
snow report
shenryo, The Moris in Val d'Isere would be a perfect venue. It's a Mark Warner joint so the standard of food and drink is good, even if the rooms are on the functional side of comfortable. It's pretty much designed for large rowdy groups, almost encouraged in fact, and you can keep the costs down by getting tanked over dinner & the in-house bar before heading out for debauchery at any number of bars followed by Dicks Tea Bar until 4am.
snow report
Chasseur, 7am I believe, I think the actual law says you shouldn't flush unnecessarily, I think you'd get away with it if for example you were violently ill or in similar circumstances, I believe there's usually something about such things in most regular (as opposed to holiday) apartments, I think most holiday ones have a bit more leeway.
ski holidays
Bigtipper, hmm, not when I was there. Maybe I was too much in the seasonnaire bubble, but was more like 2 girls to 3 guys...
ski holidays
As I said, perhaps the ratios vary depending on what time of year you go. Obviously there is some bias in the sampling method I used, as the observations are only a snapshot in time.

I did notice that pre-season, there would be many waitresses in some slope side cafes. However, as soon as the season started, the waitresses became waiters. Again, there may be some bias in my observation, but what you see is not always what exists.

A great example of that is in India. If you travel in India, it would appear that there are many more males than females in India. However, that is just what you see. The reality is that women are not seen as often in public places. There are some interesting statistics on skiing in the Himalayas regarding this ratio (5:1 I believe).

Most people go skiing, for the skiing though.

rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

it's actually against the law in Switzerland to flush toilets in an apartment building after 10pm

Really??? I had better turn myself in to the toilet police then... I had no idea.

Spent one night in our apartment last season when I was the only person in the building. I could have had a flushfest. If only I'd known.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Most people go skiing, for the skiing though.

We're talking about a stag here though...
ski holidays
must say, I am leaning back toward Austria now folks after reading all of this... back to considering Mayrhofen and Kitz lol - just seems a weather gamble a bit too large
snow report
shenryo, What dates were you thinking?
ski holidays
yep, do it. Expensive ish but you're kiing and on a stag do, what do you expect. And the scenery is better than most.

Ask da Scouser name of the place to go.
latest report
Go Ischgl.
snow conditions
clarky999, we are looking at the weekend of 3rd/4th March - I have never skiied Kitz or Mayr but have heard it can be a bit dicy when booking in advance?
Nickski, go Zermatt do you mean?
Eyeopener, we skiied Ishclg this season so that isn't on the radar, as much as I loved it
snow report
shenryo, Whilst you can never guarantee anything, that's the best time to ski anywhere in Austria and I wouldn't worry about the snow. Mayrhofen also has the Hintertux glacier.
latest report
clarky999, yeah, that's what I thought but have just heard such horror stories of Kitz
latest report
Switzerland. There is a generally observed noise curfew (Nachtruhe) after 10pm except on specific festival days like Silvester.

St Anton has an average of 10 guys to 1 woman. Drinking gangs from the UK are numerous during the main season.

Ischgl, plenty of woman if you know where to look & can speak German Happy

http://www.ischgllove.com/index2.shtml

http://youtube.com/v/mRgHefc6WQI
ski holidays
can't believe no one has thrown MIlton Keynes into the ring....
snow conditions
Quote:

St Anton has an average of 10 guys to 1 woman

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, awesome!!!!

looks like we may be considering Mayrhofen now - thoughts?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy