Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Honeymoon with childcare and flying on a Monday?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help as I'm having some problems.

Myself and the future wife are getting married next March 3rd and we'd like to do a skiing honeymoon. We are expecting our first child in a month so he will be 9 months old when we go, so we'd like somewhere with childcare available so we can ski the mornings/afternoons, and then do things as a family the rest of the time.

We would also like to fly on the Monday after as the wedding is on the Saturday and a Sunday departure would be a bad idea.

I would like to go back to the Sella Ronda so was looking at Selva, but Austria or Switzerland could be an option too. We definitely don't want to do a long haul with a 9 month old though.

Now does anyone know anywhere that will do a Monday-Monday (or extend to 10 days if needed), with childcare on site, and would good enough for a honeymoon?

Thanks

Chri$
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might be easiest to book a Sunday to Sunday deal and knife and fork your own flights - letting the TO know that in practice you won't be in resort until Monday.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a week of normality and fly the following Saturday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not a bad idea
Quote:
achilles
. I think we may have to resort to that and possibly lose a day.

Quote:
Frosty the Snowman
, I know in practice that's probably the best thing to do, but I'm thinking that after the high of the wedding, going back to work for a week will put a bit of a downer on it, and just make it feel like any other holiday rather than a honeymoon.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chri$, don't know how much leave (or money) you have! Could you not plan a few nights in a nice hotel in the UK...not too far from your airport of choice, then fly out skiing on the Saturday. As it's March it would need to be something with a cosy log fire that you would be happy to snuggle up by!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chri$, hey if it is good enough for the newly wed royals!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chri$, tell me to shut up, but I'd say have the baby first. I don't know the future Mrs Chri$ (said due to a super injunction) but going skiing somehow drops approx 400 places down the priority list after becoming mum. Once you've fought your way past all the female in-laws and reminded everyone who you are, you might get 45 seconds to discuss your wintersports requirements. Sorry mate, welcome to the world of boys' trips and earning Brownie points.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
9 month old up a mountain, get yer helmet on, the Mumsnetters are coming Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'd say have the baby first

If the lady is keen on skiing when 8 months pregnant she'll be even keener when she's had time to recover fully, get all the muscle tone back, and has got over the first months of sleep deprivation.

However, a Monday start will be difficult to organise if you want somewhere with built-in childcare.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paraphernalia - not the name of the nanny, just the word I want to use. Babies come with tons of paraphernalia and their skiing parents have tons of paraphernalia. Someone (ie, in this case Chri$ Laughing ) has the responsibility of transporting the collective paraphernalia from A to B via half a dozen transportation segments and have the usual check-in discussions and stress associated with modern slimline travel. Been there done that, and these days I enjoy watching them at airports and on transfers giving each other evils, tired and bickering over who didn't do what properly. Ski trips as a couple can be very non-relaxing, add in the baby coefficient and throw in one of a thousand possible skiing mishaps and... well... you get my point. At 9 months, baby will be just as happy (if not happier) for 4-5 days with a grand parent. You get a proper honeymoon.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chri$, You're a brave couple, but it can be done I suggest - my thoughts are that unless you go expensive 4-5* hotel in say Austria/ Italy with an in-house creche and all the trimmings it'll be a tough week, Mon-Mon shouldnt be a problem if you went by say scheduled Lufthansa to Munich and hired a car/ MPV to say Kitzbuhel or Arlberg and booked direct, but it'll be a lash, maybe thats OK I dont know? Plenty of posh hotels in the Alps that'll take away the pain, great food/ childcare etc but it wont be cheap

Alternatively - The thought of doing a package holiday, transfers with the masses with all that gear and annoying glances from fellow holiday chums (burping/ screeching baby etc) would be a nightmare IMO, think it'd be a stressful ski trip unless done properly, and you never know you may even also get time for some sister/ brother-making time for kiddy #1!!

Good luck. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If this is your honeymoon I'd go with the most luxurious TO around - maybe Powder Byrne.
I'd also book for the week after your wedding and take two weeks or more off work.

Choose accommodation not too far up the mountain in case your baby is affected by altitude or has ear problems. Ie. not a resort such as Val Thorens.

We took our first born skiing when he was 10 months. We were desperate for a holiday by then. The journey was fine (went by eurostar 1st class) but we had a few problems in the chalet. I would make sure your chosen hotel has proper wooden cots and not travel cots as not all babies sleep as well in travel cots.

I think a skiing honeymoon sounds a lovely idea.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowymum wrote:
I'd also book for the week after your wedding and take two weeks or more off work.

Definitely! Getting yourselves and sprog ready for the wedding and "do" afterwards will be enough stress without getting ready for a ski holiday at the same time. If you've ever been skiing with a baby, you'd know it takes a whole heap of organisation as well as a whole heap of equipment. You'll (OK, mostly her, probably!) need a rest and time to sort yourselves out. As someone said too, it is a honeymoon, so get the nicest place you can afford, with spa and childcare. When you look back and tell your grandchildren about it, you'll remember the lovely holiday, not how much you spent! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are lots of threads about travel with children, and obviously it can be a nightmare. But doesn't have to be. Nor do they need too much "paraphernalia". I travelled on planes with kids of various ages, in various numbers, some of it very longhaul, and survived. Yes, get a chalet/hotel which provides a proper cot (a determined 9 month old can overturn a travel cot by standing, holding onto the sides, and bashing fat belly against it). You can (and indeed should) travel with a buggy which will be carried free on the flight. If it's a fairly substantial job you can hitch all kind of other stuff to it, too. Food/drink for a baby (who will be happiest with familiar stuff) for a week won't be difficult, with modern tetrapacks of formula, lightweight food pouches, etc. Disposable nappies. Why should you need tons more stuff than that?

Some babies will just be sitting, some crawling, some cruising rapidly round the furniture, by that age. "Toys" can be found in most environments - and a favourite teddy can be squished in anywhere.

I would not have been happy to leave a baby of that age with grandparents for a week. I'm not precious about "attachment parenting" and am indeed a grandparent, who very regular babysits, including overnight sessions most weeks, and have already baby sat during 2 ski holidays with 4 assorted age grandchildren. But I don't think either my daugher or my daughter in law would enjoy a holiday if they'd left such a little one for a week.

However, people vary, and people do change when they have babies. I wouldn't book until after the baby is a few months old - and there's no need to book now for next March.

If the baby is accustomed to a range of carers there shouldn't be a problem with a good nursery. My littlest grand-daughter is 15 months old and apart from having spent quite a lot of time with us, including overnights, she also has a (lovely) child minder for 2 - 3 days a week. My daughter recently left her for the first time in the creche at the leisure centre, with some trepidation, when she went swimming. She was absolutely fine - very happy. But I have known quite a few babies who would have screamed the place down if they'd been left without mum, with a stranger.

Get them accustomed to being abandoned early on. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As above - it'll be worth paying more for a better experience in terms of comfort, facilities and help. Chalets can be a great option if travelling with children (usually if you are part of a group of families, and so all in the same boat), but they can also be less than great - if it's a traditionally built property with wooden walls, little soundproofing, a restless (teething at 9 months....) baby, and less-than-empathetic fellow holiday-makers. I'd suggest you would struggle finding a mainstream TO happy to do Monday-Monday, AND offer the extras you'll find you need to make this a fun and memorable trip. Wait until the following week, find a TO which seems to tick the boxes and you'll have a great time Very Happy
ski holidays
Chri$, We've been skiing with very young children and while I understand the desire for luxury as it's your honeymoon, travelling with babies/small children is exhausting and I would prioritise other areas such as a short flight and transfer, a nursery within the hotel, and facilities and equipment all available in the hotel or chalet so that you have to cart less stuff around. In which case go for a family orientated ski company such as Esprit. They will provide meals geared for infants which also means not having to take food or worry about getting jars of food while you are there. We are off to Selva with them next Feb and it won't be luxurious but it does tick all the other essential boxes for holidaying with very young children.

After a wedding and possibly 9 months of little sleep it might be worth delaying the skiing part until the following weekend and having a couple of nights away (just the two of you if babysitters are available) in the UK in a luxury hotel. It is really hard leaving a baby when they are little and I haven't done it much for that reason, but on the occasion we have it was really lovely to have uninterupted adult conversation for a while - plus some sleep!

Good luck with it all.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
Chri$, tell me to shut up, but I'd say have the baby first. I don't know the future Mrs Chri$ (said due to a super injunction) but going skiing somehow drops approx 400 places down the priority list after becoming mum. Once you've fought your way past all the female in-laws and reminded everyone who you are, you might get 45 seconds to discuss your wintersports requirements. Sorry mate, welcome to the world of boys' trips and earning Brownie points.

lol ... already had the boys trip this year as she was cheggers, and don't you worry there will be more boys trips to come as Mrs Chri$ will no doubt want to add to the brood quite sharpish afterwards, which incidentally is why she's quite keen to get a skiing trip in for the honeymoon while she isn't pregnant.
ski holidays
Thanks for the help guys. Some very valid points. I think you're right about making the travel as short and stress free as possible, along with having a hotel fully set up for childcare.

Funny you should mention Esprit Hayls, as we had written off the skiing honeymoon until one of the support parents from out antenatal class said they had done a trip to Chamonix with Esprit with their young one and had no problems whatsoever, even commenting that the little one loved the days with the chalet staff and they had gotten several full days skiing in! ... we were really only considering half-days with the potential for me to dash off on my own (obviously finding random people to buddy up with) for some more extreme stuff.

It does look like a decent idea to do a few days in a nice spa in the UK then go away the following weekend. I might have to take a look again at the traditional TO's with the Sat-Sat setup.

Thanks Everyone Shock)
snow conditions
Chri$, some Esprit transfers are Sunday to Sunday - no idea if that makes a difference, but poss worth mentioning. Also, you'll improve your chances of buddying up in the catered chalet environment. When all is said an done, and considering
Quote:
Mrs Chri$ will no doubt want to add to the brood quite sharpish afterwards, which incidentally is why she's quite keen to get a skiing trip in for the honeymoon while she isn't pregnant.
maybe you should save your energy Laughing
ski holidays
Depending when, and how you feel, it's by no means impossible to ski whilst pregnant. Controversial topic though - people get very het up about it. Worse than helmets. wink
latest report
Hahaha pam w ... we read all the threads before deciding it was probably best that I just go away with the lads this last winter. We just decided that even in the very unlikely event of something happening we would be mortified we made the choice in the first place.
snow report
Chri$, well I hope your honeymoon trip is a huge success. Your OH should then be able to fit in a quick "girls trip" before the next one comes along. wink
snow report
Just seen your latest message! Have a good honeymoon
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy