Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My Daughter wants to cross over

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mitchell wrote:
Basil,
There is a 'fastec' binding that is similar but seems to get some not so good reviews on quality issues.
Mitch

I bought some Fastec bindings 3 years ago, from EB/Snowboard clearance. 2 Hours in their first trip, I "kicked" the binding as Ilost my balance a bit while skating. The thing simply exploded. Cr*p quality!
Thankfully, Ellis Birgham refunded no hassle.
You see a lot of Fastec bindings on rental boards....

Basil wrote:
The Cinch design seems to be the most obvious design of binding I have seen, similar in concept to early ski bindings, surely there are other brands with similar designs, unless of course they have a "weakness".

After my misadventure with the Fastec, I still wanted bindings with dual system standard straps/quick entry.
Found and bought some APO Expressos. Really pleaed with them. Best of both worlds, very solid.

Basil,
If you have one you can get to, I would suggest looking at Decathlon/Wed'ze equipment. They do very decent set-ups for beginners at very good price. That's how I started before investing in beter stuff once I knew what i was doing /wanted.

Boots are the most important item. I wouldn't recommend buying without trying.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil, just saw this - might suit with some second hand bindings? http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76884
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basil, Hey dude, just been pointed in this direction as my girlfriend is selling her board. It's a Burton Troop 154. Were looking for about 150 but would be willing to drop to 100 so you can get some bindings too. Ill drop you a PM too. Thanks, Ollie
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I skied for 30 years before I tried boarding and I now love both, though suffer jibes from both camps now. It wasn't that hard to get to the point of enjoying it, though my boarding will never catch up with my skiing (I envy your daughter the opportunity to be good at both!). I had a standard Brit introduction- hired a board and got my snowboarding mates to help me muddle through, on a red run. Hence I learnt to turn quite quickly but it took me ages to be able to stay upright on flat bits which was the hardest bit about learning for me!

This might be a bit controversial but by necessity instructors always seem to start on the flat- where you fall more often, fall harder and it's further to get up. I think this is what puts alot of people off at first but it really is worth persevering, it will come good, you just have to fight through the pain!! Someone already confident on a slope might make quicker progress on blues rather than greens, learning to turn first and then going back to cracking the flat bits after they've had some fun. Maybe this approach leads to bad habits (I certainly did quite a bit of walking to start off with), I doubt many qualified instructors would recommend it!

I've never worn impact shorts or wrist guards but I would recommend a helmet. Boot fit is crucial, if they are too big or have any heel lift this will compromise the learning process, probably more so than skiing. Therefore go new with boots as early as possible.

Regarding K2 cinch bindings I board with someone who is 6'4 and built like an outhouse who uses K2 cinches and hasn't had any problems with breakage etc. He's always ready to go before me at the top of the lift too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Verbo wrote:
I skied for 30 years before I tried boarding and I now love both, though suffer jibes from both camps now.

Hence I learnt to turn quite quickly but it took me ages to be able to stay upright on flat bits which was the hardest bit about learning for me!

This might be a bit controversial but by necessity instructors always seem to start on the flat- where you fall more often, fall harder and it's further to get up. I think this is what puts alot of people off at first but it really is worth persevering, it will come good, you just have to fight through the pain!!

The paradox of snowboarding, and why so many otherwise proficient skiers give it neck.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Still got the idea in mind but on the back burner for now as she has just had knee surgery (injured 2010 season and has now had the Plica and Fat Pad removed), 14 years old and getting battered already. Until that is back to stength we'll have to wait for a day trip to a fridge.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I switched to snowboarding in my early 20s. I hated snowboarding for 2 days and only stuck at it because I'd paid for a week of lessons (ESF, surprisingly v. good!). Most skiers who try snowboarding don't like it because you fall over a lot for the first two days and you feel like a complete beginner on the slopes again, which sucks, so I'd not be surprised if after a day in the fridge your daughter decides she doesn't like it. About a board, I'd rent one for the first week. I learnt to ride on a board that was 149cm (I'm 165cm and 60kg) but the board I bought once I was a confident intermediate is 154cm and suits me really well. Recently, I had a go on a friends 149cm board and it felt way too short! Buy the boots though, and don't skimp on them. If you get heel lift in snowboard boots you end up doing twice as much work and also get really sore calf muscles. Also, sounds like a another expensive, but snowboard socks are quite different to ski socks!

I don't have step in bindings and never found the ratchets a problems - if you are used to doing up ski boots then you won't have a problem. I can easily do my bindings up without sitting down - dont know why so many snowboarders sit down to do this??

If it is of interest I have a ride promise board (154cm), ride DVa bindings (Medium) and burton mint boots (size 6.5 - 0.5 bigger than my shoe size). Boots bought after one week of snowboarding, board + bindings after my 2nd week. Will replace the boots soon though, and probably the board in a year or so.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy