Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski apartment rents to rise due to new French tax.

Poster: A snowHead
A new tax is due to hit foreign owners of holiday homes in France from January. Controversially, the tax is to be levied upon the estimated annual rent that the property could generate rather than the amount it actually does bring in....
There are an estimated 360,000 non-resident owners of French holiday homes of which around 200,000 are British.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
there are suggestions it could be challenged in the European courts on the grounds that it discriminates against foreign owners of holiday homes.

phew!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, the law has been written specifically to also include French citizens who do not live there, so it's possible the law will comply. I've also been informed that if you rent out your holiday property already, you won't pay the tax, but there will probably be some rules applied on this, as already exists with UK furnished lettings.
This has already been brought up on SnowHeads a couple of weeks ago.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1787044&highlight=#1787044
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, and the tax will be roughly the same as your Taxe Fonciere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fair enough, lets hope the UK goverment introduces the same tax over here. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
admin, they do this in Switzerland (Eigenmietwert - sp?) but mortgage interest is deductable from the tax bill so in reality its only those without mortgages that suffer, unfortunatly thats likely to be a lot of people in France I suspect (retiree's etc). IMO it will hit capital values and flatten the market a fair bit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Article in the Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertyinfrance/8529230/British-holiday-homeowners-in-France-to-be-hit-by-new-tax.html

and another in the French press http://www.lesechos.fr/economie-politique/france/actu/0201346265182-residences-secondaires-des-etrangers-la-taxe-fixee-a-20-de-la-valeur-locative.htm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As far as I can tell the tax will be AS WELL AS income tax on rent received from the punters. So double jeopardy taxation for non resident property owners unless you rent out 100% which is impossible in the alpes holiday let market or am I missing something. Of course this is aimed at the 'second home owners' who spend 10 months of the year in France without fessing up to residency and thus the rather tasty impots sociale.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mcspreader, not what I've been led to believe, but the devil will be in the detail, which has not yet been published or finalised.
My apartment is available for rent 52 weeks of the year.
Some in Normandy are saying that for them it will amount to less than 5€ per week. It will be around 10€ per week for me, if we have to pay it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells, Need to wait and see really. It has not even been fully presented to the French legislators yet. I have only just bought my appartment and yes, it will be available for 52 weeks but I would like to use it without paying myself and the agents, etc. for the privilege when its empty which some reporters seem to imply when they mention the two sole get outs, which are recent residency or year round letting through a local agent. Then again, the place might just need eight weeks maintenance a year, mainly in the ski season. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
A new tax is due to hit foreign owners of holiday homes in France from January
Last year they introduced the rather vague Cotis charged which run parallel to the Taxe Habitation for "some" rentals. Worth bearing in mind that having a second home in France is not at all uncommon, so potentially this will hit the domestic residents which will hopefully help limit the damage. It's very clear that whilst France liberalizes its income taxes more realistically, that is is also searching for new ways to squeeze a bit here and there from property owners.
Mad Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells, how have you calculated 10 euros a week? 20% of rental value is a lot more than that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, my notional rent is listed as 1960€, so actually it would only be 392€ per year, so I've actually overestimated.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells, that's encouraging. Where does that notional figure come from? (sorry, probably daft question to which I ought to know the answer).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, it's the Valeur Locative (on the back of your Taxe d'Habitation), which is used for Taxe Fonciere (I think) too.
snow report
Hells Bells, ah - thanks. Will have a look. I spend as little time as possible looking at those documents.
snow conditions
pam w, there are two figures at the top VL Brute and VL Moyenne , it's the Brute one that seems to be used to calculate the tax, the other is, I think the average VL for the commune.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
pam w, my notional rent is listed as 1960€
Is that an annual figure for notional rent?
snow report
rob@rar, YUsually yes. Remember the rental market is two tier. Most apartments rented by/to French people don't match the standards you or I would necessarily want to spend time with your family in, let alone the grief you would receive from Mrs rob@rar! Thus the base line is lower and 20% occupancy is probably nearer the norm than for some fancy, well advertised and perhaps more expensive appartment.

An earlier post mentioned offering to rent through a local agent - conceivably you could use a local agent to "manage" the property, offering it for rent at extortionate rates, thus proving availability whilst at the same time mitigating responsibility to pay the taxe Cool Cool Cool Cool I'm happy to accept commission from any grateful snowheads that benefit from this spiffing idea Embarassed
snow report
rob@rar, I don't think the figures haven't been updated for some time. Think along the lines of the old 'rateable values' for UK houses before the poll tax came along.
snow report
Jivebaby, Hells Bells, thanks. Must dig out last year's Taxe d'Habitation to see what my figures are.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
pam w, there are two figures at the top VL Brute and VL Moyenne , it's the Brute one that seems to be used to calculate the tax, the other is, I think the average VL for the commune.

Ah yes mine has an explaination note. Google translation says>>>

Valeur locative brute This is a gross basis as results from efficacy evaluation made ​​by tax to taxation year after the declaration subscribed to the I'achevement logemenl by the owner. It takes into account the surface and the different characteristics of housing and its dependencies. This surface is multiplied by a scale communal making reference to rents RECORDED 1 • 'January 1970 (1975 in the DAM). This rental value is updated and, since 1981 (1982 in the DAM), adjusted by a factor Ie Parliament vote annually. In 2010 rental values ​​of the previous year are thus increased by 1.2%.
Since 2008, in areas of rural revitalization has mentioned the CGI section 1465A, municipalities may by resolution of generality, untaxed housing the personal residence (primary or secondary) of the person liable for the portion IOUf '! e furnished under a cottage, furniture tourism or chamber h6tes. If any, taxpayers will benefit from this measure will the rental value of their homes burning LESS's share be exempt corresponding to the rented part furnished.
snow report
Boredsurfing, in French please, that makes even less sense in English !!! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Hells Bells, C'est la base brute telle qu'elle resulte de I'evaluation faite par les services fiscaux d'apres la declaration souscrite I'annee de I'achevement du logemenl par Ie proprietaire. Elle prend en compte la surface et les differentes caracteristiques du logement et de ses dependances. Cette surface est multipliee par un tarif communal faisant reference aux loyers constates au 1•' janvier 1970 (1975 dans les DaM). Cette valeur locative est actualisee et, depuis 1981 (1982 dans les DaM), revalorisee par un coefficient vote annuellement par Ie Parlement. Pour 2010 les valeurs locatives de I'annee precedente sont ainsi majorees de 1.2 %.
Depuis 2008, dans les zones de revitalisation rurale mentionnees a I'article 1465A du CGI, les communes peuvent par une deliberation de portee generale, exonerer de taxe d'habitation la residence personnelle (principale ou secondaire) du redevable pour la partie IOUf:'!e meublee a titre de gite rural, de meuble de tourisme ou de chambre d'h6tes. Le cas echeant, les contribuables beneficiant de cette mesure verront la valeur locative brule de leur habitation diminuee de la quote-part exoneree correspondant a la partie louee meublee.
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Hells Bells, C'est la base brute telle qu'elle resulte de I'evaluation faite par les services fiscaux d'apres la declaration souscrite I'annee de I'achevement du logemenl par Ie proprietaire. Elle prend en compte la surface et les differentes caracteristiques du logement et de ses dependances. Cette surface est multipliee par un tarif communal faisant reference aux loyers constates au 1•' janvier 1970 (1975 dans les DaM). Cette valeur locative est actualisee et, depuis 1981 (1982 dans les DaM), revalorisee par un coefficient vote annuellement par Ie Parlement. Pour 2010 les valeurs locatives de I'annee precedente sont ainsi majorees de 1.2 %.
Depuis 2008, dans les zones de revitalisation rurale mentionnees a I'article 1465A du CGI, les communes peuvent par une deliberation de portee generale, exonerer de taxe d'habitation la residence personnelle (principale ou secondaire) du redevable pour la partie IOUf:'!e meublee a titre de gite rural, de meuble de tourisme ou de chambre d'h6tes. Le cas echeant, les contribuables beneficiant de cette mesure verront la valeur locative brule de leur habitation diminuee de la quote-part exoneree correspondant a la partie louee meublee.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
Boredsurfing, merci .
snow report
Anyone know a good but not too expensive tax dodger (accountant) in the Tarrentaise? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
mcspreader, that's an oxymoron in France: Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mcspreader, You may get a better answer to that on the other thread as this one is in snowNews and gets 'published' quite widely and thus gets modded a lot Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing, My question was at least partly rhetorical and not a little facetious in intent. Twisted Evil
snow report
French newspapers are reporting that plans to introduce this tax have been abandoned http://www.lexpress.fr/actualites/1/societe/francais-de-l-etranger-abandon-de-la-surtaxe-sur-les-residences-secondaires_1003755.html
latest report
Hells Bells, I bet that won't be reported in the DM and DT as it would go against their Eurosceptic/anti-Europe stances Toofy Grin
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I've just been given a DT link . http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/propertyinfrance/8585245/Nicolas-Sarkozy-drops-controversial-tax-on-second-homes-in-France.html
snow report
snowHead
snow report
Quote:
Olivier Cadic, a member of the Council for the French Abroad, said Mr Sarkozy had also realised the law would have been "electoral suicide" as French expatriates will be able to elect MPs for to parliament next year.

"All those French living abroad with homes in France would have been scandalised," he said.

He also faced the threat of opponents taking their case to the European courts, arguing the tax is discriminatory.

There is your key reason for the U-turn. He currently needs every single vote in order to leave office with his head held high, because he currently does not have a snowball in hell's chance of being re-elected (unless the opposition do something incredibly stupid at the last minute).
snow conditions
Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy