Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee - anyone been in summer?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowHead !
I have found what seems to me like a good deal (package) to Saas Fee and am considering taking it up.
We've not been to the Alps in summer before, so this will be a new experience anyway, but I'm after any info/opinions on this resort.
What is there to do locally? We won't have a car, but are willing to use the bus/train to get about. I've heard that the glacier is open for summer skiing, but as the other one thinks I'm mad for wanting to ski in summer Toofy Grin this will be a secondary activity if at all, maybe 1 or 2 days tops. We enjoy mountain biking too, so was wondering if there's much of a scene in Saas Fee? Perhaps some gentle walking is an option (dodgy knee)?

Hotel in question is the Ambassador, if anyone has any opinions on that, or which week to go/avoid as we're pretty flexible on dates, though some weeks are a bit more expensive.

Thanks a lot Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scarlet wrote:
Hi snowHead !
I have found what seems to me like a good deal (package) to Saas Fee and am considering taking it up.
We've not been to the Alps in summer before, so this will be a new experience anyway, but I'm after any info/opinions on this resort.
What is there to do locally? We won't have a car, but are willing to use the bus/train to get about. I've heard that the glacier is open for summer skiing, but as the other one thinks I'm mad for wanting to ski in summer Toofy Grin this will be a secondary activity if at all, maybe 1 or 2 days tops. We enjoy mountain biking too, so was wondering if there's much of a scene in Saas Fee? Perhaps some gentle walking is an option (dodgy knee)?

Hotel in question is the Ambassador, if anyone has any opinions on that, or which week to go/avoid as we're pretty flexible on dates, though some weeks are a bit more expensive.

Thanks a lot Very Happy

I've only been in winter with the family. However my wife doesn't ski, so we always look for somewhere with other things to do. Saas Fee is great in this regard. So good in fact we're going again next year.

There is loads of walking in the Saas valley. You could probably spend all week doing just that. I don't know much about the mountain biking, but they claim about 70km worth of trails. I could well believe that. There is the sports centre which has a nice swimming pool if the hotel doesn't have one. The Feeblitz, which is a sort of roller coaster thing, is really good and quite cheap as well. I'm sure somebody who has been there in summer can add to that list pretty easily. Saas Fee the town is really nice to wander around and has some nice bars and restaurants. I'm not sure you'll have time to fit in any summer skiing. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We run a training camp in the summer so you can see the conditions here. (old video before i got a decent camera and editor!) There is some video of the football pitch, theres also tennis and beach volley ball, a high ropes course, zip line, spa and pool etc but the skiing can be really good!

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=421204680107
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Search function is your friend, there have been many repat Saas Fee Summer threads
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet, we went last summer- and the summer before- I think I have done a TR on summer skiing with my them 7 year old son.

We went en famille and it was great- although 2 trips is probably enough.

Scenery- stunning

Village- very very pretty- even the lettuce are planted out beautifully

Eating- excellent places to eat- restaurants very very good (but not cheap)

Skiing- interesting!

Walking- great.

Car- not necessary.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lager, That sounds like what we're after, maybe we should give it a whirl! All the places I've skiied in winter have been excellent for just that, but tbh don't seem to have that much else going for them...

rungsp, Thanks, but most of the threads are specifically about glacier skiing. I'm more interested in what *else* there is to do. I know that this is a forum for snow lovers, but that's just helpful in that many people will have visited the area.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet, I echo the others, it is stunning, amazing, you can't go wrong.

Yes loads of walking as gentle as you like, loads of mountain biking.

As Lager has said there is the Feeblitz Rodelbobbahn an all year round tobaggan on a track, it is great fun. And there is the local leisure centre with pool etc.

There are loads of lovely restaurants to walk/bike to. Lots have animals to see/pet too, like Bodmen on the way down to Saas Almagell, it is a great restaurant with a lovely sunny terrace, great food in a nice spot.

You can go up to feed marmottes (carrots and apples) on Spielboden.

There is a Kneipp facility, basically a bare foot trail with different textures under foot, rock, stones, bark, a stepping stone walk and a kind of adult paddling pool. Supposed to be good for circulation.

There are scooters(trotti) to hire, so you can go up the mountain by lift and come down by scooter, this is at Saas Almagell and Saas Grund.

You can get about easily on the post bus. You can go for a day to Brigerbad which is a superb swimming pool/spa complex with loads of different types of pools.

There is a Via Ferrata and also the Adventure Forest a forest high ropes thing like Go Ape here.

Can't remember what else. It's great. I would happily spend a summer week a year here Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sarah,

Where's teh Via ferrata ? We're off there in early Aug and daughter sev112 is just getting to teh age where she is well into rock walls etc
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sev112, there are a few of them I think, we didn't do it but there was one recommended to us between Saas Fee and Saas Grund called Alpine Gorge. That's supposed to be an easy/family one, then I think there are some more serious ones which the guides office runs trips for.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sarah, Swiss Ski School in Saas Fee will organize the gorge trip for you, there is also an adventure forest beside the Alpine Express at the end of the bridge that crosses the bridge you will see the signs
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the tips everyone! Sounds perfect for us, so we've booked it Very Happy

Anyone done any via ferrata in Saas Fee? Would we need a guide for this? I'm quite experienced at rock climbing (though I wasn't planning on carting a full rack out there, Budget Airline PLC would surely see me coming Toofy Grin ), but Go Ape is the closest we've got to VF.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet, ...we are across the rhone valle from saas and often go across to lark about there:

- feeblitz toboggan run - surprisingly cheap and huge fun - over the river on the east side of town (already name checked)
- feeding marmots up at the Speilboden restaurant (they indeed like carrots)
- viaF up to jagihorn - but this is a relatively serious undertaking - read the guidebooks and use proper viaF kit - can be hired in Saas Fee - eg petzl zyper brake kit
- skiing on the glacier
- train to zermatt to see the matterhorn
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet, we stayed in saas grund a few years ago.

Excellent via ferrata on the Jagihorn. http://www.prog99.com/EMC%20alps%20trip%20-%202009/J%C3%A4gihorn%20via%20ferrata/index.html

Theres also a good bolted route on the same mountain. http://www.prog99.com/EMC%20alps%20trip%20-%202009/J%C3%A4gihorn%20alpendurst%20climb/index.html

(The lifts are pretty expensive in the summer)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet, ...sorry should have said re mountain bikes, there are a number of places which hire bikes - some are a bit down market for pottling around the town, but half way along the main street you'll find a sports shop selling north face gear - wooden building, double front - which hires up to date downhill and xc bikes - and check with the hotel - they can probably get discounts for you for a few days' hire. If you fancy, drive across to Crans Montana and see Dave in Avalanche in Montana (by the roundabout) and he has EXCELLENT bikes to use on the various routed downhills around CM.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2, Thanks for the tip about the bikes - I assume local maps are available there too? Crans Montana might be a bit tricky without a car though. A trip to Zermatt is a good idea too, i'd really like to go there anyway. Does saas fee have it's own train station?

prog99, Are you suggesting we use a bolted route as an alternative to a chairlift? Toofy Grin Not sure how well that will be received...
snow report
Scarlet, Saas Fee doesn't have a train station. There is a Postbus up from Visp to Saas Fee, but certainly during winter there are organised bus trips from Saas Fee to Zermatt. Maybe they also do something during the summer.
snow report
Scarlet, ...you can get a postbus from Saas Fee to Zermatt and then the train up to the Gornergrat, from opposite the main train station, or you can get the bus down the Saas valley from Saas Fee to Stalden, and then join the train to Tasch and then Zermatt. It's a lovely ride in all weathers (apart from the fog which we had the last time we went skiing in June in Zermatt (grrrr)). Re maps, there's a Swiss equivalent of ordnance survey - but in the past it's been cheaper to buy these on line from Stanfords in Long Acre, London, than get them in resort.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
valais2, Thanks for the tip about the bikes - I assume local maps are available there too? Crans Montana might be a bit tricky without a car though. A trip to Zermatt is a good idea too, i'd really like to go there anyway. Does saas fee have it's own train station?

prog99, Are you suggesting we use a bolted route as an alternative to a chairlift? Toofy Grin Not sure how well that will be received...

Alas its the gondola or a long steep walk to get to the jagihorn.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy