Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

broken bones etc tally

Poster: A snowHead
Hey - I forgot a broken metacarpal on Hemel Dry slope in 1986...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valais2, ...glad I started this thread...it's just great imagining two things:

some of the circumstances

the idea of everyone here turning up at A+E simultaneously, presenting all the injuries listed...it would be like a zombie movie (directed by John Landis) meets Casualty.

there are some good ones eg 'cracked skull' (nothing else said! how exactly? helmet?) and 'cresta run injury' (impressed) and 'manchester velodrome' (respect) and 'umpteen broken and dislocated fingers' (what the....?)

But I still think everything else here is trumped by the brilliantly surreal 'Broken arm (sheep knocked me off fence)'

Bonkers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
valais2 wrote:
valais2, ...glad I started this thread...it

But I still think everything else here is trumped by the brilliantly surreal 'Broken arm (sheep knocked me off fence)'

Bonkers.

Chap I work with has had a whole array of impressive injuries...but I think the most Shocked was when he cracked a rib trying to have a poo in the karakorum
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dislocated elbow with torn ligament (Ill judged piggyback - Age 8 )
Damaged acl (1st ski trip panic splat)
Broken toe (poorly timed shower exit resulting in toe rammed into door frame)
Broken fibula (EOSB 10 gnarl)
11 stitches in left brow (see above)

All in all fairly tame so may explain general chirperness after last year's incident. That said, the drugs were very good Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
broken pelvis (1st ski trip curtailed by this)
ACL rupture rebuild (right knee) - boarder using my knee to slow themselves down
2x medial meniscus - as above - carried on skiing for the weekend but couldn't walk
ligament damage right ankle - can't remember how
broken hand (chairlift handle went through it) - again carried on skiing for the week - just couldn't carry my skis
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2, I got my own back in the form of mutton chops and gravy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well: clearly snowheads are mostly held together by steel pins and superglue. What a dull, safe life I must have had. I've never broken a bone in my life.
I have, though damaged ligaments on 3 occasions (ACL, ACL and medial, and shoulder - all skiing)): none severed totally though I now only have a bit of one ACL so have "ligament insufficiency" in that knee
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowlamb wrote:
valais2 wrote:
valais2, ...glad I started this thread...it

Bonkers.

Chap I work with has had a whole array of impressive injuries...but I think the most Shocked was when he cracked a rib trying to have a poo in the karakorum

ROFLMAO..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing tears streaming down face.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball wrote:
I've never broken a bone in my life

Don't. It really hurts. I can't begin to tell you how painful it is!

Well, I thought it was. And it gets steadily worse too, it's not as bad when you first snap it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In chronological order
Nose. (rugby)
Nose (rugby)
Nose (rugby)
Boken ankle (football)
Collar bone (rugby)
ACL.(Teaching rugby, apparently this was hilarious)
ACL (fell off podium, dancing to 'The Irish Rover')
Sprained thumb (skiing)
Nasty black big toe nail (skiing)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Smashed teeth, ripped up face and hands (crashed bike, racing boys down road as a teenager - and I was in front!, No cycle helmet, have worn one when cycling since then!)

Broken back - compressed 3 lower vertebrae when I was 20 (fell off horse, hit tree stump, no back protector, have worn one when horse back riding since then!) <----- I don't recommend this, most painful thing that has ever happened, when the only reaction was an inhuman blood curdling scream for about 10 minutes while I got the pain under control

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 20-05-11 20:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Based on the others I think I've had a rather quiet life.

Broken toes - parachuting

Dislocated right shoulder - parachuting
Fractured right elbow - parachuting
Multiple broken ribs - parachuting

Narrow escape, 900ft and still no parachute! (no injuries but it took a few years off my life at least!)

Dislocated right shoulder - skiing

Left knee ACL\Patella\Cartilage- fell walking in Snowdonia

More broken toes - kicked fireplace !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forgot the other time i cracked my skull on a porcelain toilet bowl shattering the loo to the water level. That also left a great scare.
I was lucky. As it happened I was at a mates place who was a vet. He gave me an injection of somthing that allowed me to continue the party in the jacuzzi until the early hours which was great as my ex tried to hoover up bits of porcelain mixed with loo water thus blowing the electrics knocking out the heating in the middle of winter.

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowHeads gold! Dot. shoots to the top of the league. Erm, what were you doing with your head down there? And I imagine it did indeed leave a scare. Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dot., Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
OK, well if we are beginning to do the more obscure injuries.

I once went to get a TB jab at a GP's surgery, walked out of the surgery, passed out whilst walking through the waiting room, hit a fire-extinguisher which was holding open a door Confused on the way down which gouged an 8" gash across the middle of my back and I ended up back in the doctors surgery getting it dressed.

I also passed out once whilst I was on the loo late at night, and on the way to the floor must have collided with the edge of the sink and ended up with a socking great big bruise on by forehead and came to about 3 hours later freezing cold on the bathroom floor.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-05-11 22:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
also passed out once whilst I was on the loo late at night, and on the way to the floor must have collided with the edge of the sink and ended up with a socking great big bruise on by forehead and came to about 3 hours later freezing cold on the bathroom floor.

Would you mind re-posting that on the helmet thread? wink
latest report
Smashed Teeth (Leapfrogged a bollard, hands got stuck, face hit the concrete)

But my best...

Broken Collarbone, fell out of bed on the 2nd day of a holiday! Sad

Nothing skiing yet though!
snow report
Currently recovering from surgery on snapped Achilles coming out of bindings frontwards - did it in February but wasn't diagnosed until April after 2 more skiing weekends. Thought it was badly pulled calf muscle and tried to convince my boss that the best treatment was to keep it in a ski boot (which was actually true) but he didn't wear it and told me to stop stringing him along and get on a plane back to work.

Had a fun few weeks wearing shorts to the office and meetings . . . . . .
ski holidays
alti - dude wrote:
...tried to convince my boss that the best treatment was to keep it in a ski boot (which was actually true) but he didn't wear it and told me to stop stringing him along...

How would your boss wearing a ski boot help your achilles? Puzzled
snow conditions
Why are some of us prone to multiple breaks, without having osteoporosis? Are some of us more brittle than others? My husband says I have a season ticket for A&E:
- L fibula (skiing)
- R ACL thumb (not knee) (dry slope)
- L collar bone (skiing)
- L kneecap (washing the car)
- R humerus/shoulder (fall on icy road)

At one time, I had a one in three chance of breaking something if I fell over skiing, so I found it was better to avoid falling in the first place.
ski holidays
Don't know whether to do this Chronologically or by cause, let's start at the bottom
badly sprained ankle, motorbike
broken toe, hit with spade
did something to my knee skiing 20 yrs ago, still twinges, still haven't seen the doc about it
suspect cracked ribs, skiing
broken bone in hand, motorbike
broken R collarbone, motorbike
broken L collarbone, motorbike, went over the handlebars of a motorcross bike, ok till the bike ran me over
broken collarbone, skiing
other numerous cut and bruises, mostly caused by going too fast on one thing or another
latest report
Broken right wrist, football. I can even remember the date - 29th April 1970. It was FA Cup final replay day between Leeds and Chelsea which I watched in hospital.

Broken nose, cricket.

Broken toes * 2, cricket & football.

Torn ankle ligaments * 2 football.

Only one skiing injury though, torn ankle ligaments when I fell off a bar stool. Well I class it as a ski injury as I missed three day skiing
snow conditions
Right collarbone *3 (might be 4, lost count), 2/3 from mountainbiking, 1 dicking about playing rugby while not fully recovered
Elbow *2, one mountainbiking, one dicking about
Class 3 concussion, mountainbiking
Mild whiplash, Bmx falling apart underneath me while commuting

Yet to seriously hurt myself skiing. The way I see it, mountainbiking is far more likely to give you minor injuries and skiing is more likely to kill you
ski holidays
If I break half as many bones as some of you, I'm staying on the sofa for the rest of my life!

OK, childhood injuries really shouldn't count. That's call LEARNING!

Me:

- Dislocated elbow falling off bicycle as a teenager
- Stretched knee ligament (MCL) multiple times, skiing.

(As a result of the second item, I quit skiing for some years. On a dare from a friend, I went back skiing again. And promptly pull the ligament again. So I took some lessons from some top instructors. No more ligament issues since then.)

But what's good for the knee is less good for me overall:

- Fractured ribs at 2 places when arguing with a tree (on ski)

There're other injuries not involving bones. But all in all, I don't have too many hospital visits due to daily life or sport. So I'll continue to do what I've been doing. Very Happy
snow report
By comparison, mine are pretty tame...

Broke front teeth off (age 10, ran into a wall)

Fractured lower jaw in 2 places (age 12, fell off under a horse that then stood on my face)

Fractured skull - hairline (age 13, hit in eye by golf ball - full throttle drive too). Lesson learned - when you hear 'fore' DUCK!

Suspected fracture ribs (MTB spill)

Torn L upper arm muscles (skiing on flat as pancake green run - at the time was convinced I'd broken my humerus - never had pain like it)
snow report
The tally for Mrs daveyladboy
Broken arm - of another girl, who she pushed off a tree.
Badly injured paw - dropped cat out of bedroom window.
Once fainted in a supermarket and lost all bowel control. Not pretty.
latest report
Strains and sprains and cracks aplenty from chronologically, skateboarding, mountain biking, skiing and generally being a dick. My nose was not always wonky (night club in Sunderland). But worst was just a little itty bitty bone which broke. Unfortunately it was in my neck.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Moriarty wrote:
and generally being a dick.

Hells Bells, It's dinner time. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
geepee, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Ok, here we go:
Knelt on a needle, went through kneecap, broke in 2 and required 3 hr surgery to remove from the centre of joint (lounge floor injury)
Broken jaw plus lots of stiches (fell in playground)
Medial tear and cartilage damage (op)
Medial tear, cartilage damage and broken kneecap (op)
2 teeth knocked out
NOW FINISHED BEING A TEENAGER
Medial tear, ac rupture (big carbon fibre op) v. ouchy
Smashed wedding ring finger joint (pinned)
Dislocated AC Joint
Dislocated AC Joint with damaged shoulder tendon (v. ouchy)
Op to remove bursar (wound became infected, blood poisoning, week in hoospital)
3 broken ribs
lots of stiches
Broken scafoid (skiing)
Torn ankle ligaments (1 week in pot to stabalise) 4 months off sports
Achilles tendonitis (still ongoing)
Herniated disc in back
Most of the above were rugby injuries. We were coached poorly and did little prehab work. Only 1 porper ski injury (scafoid)
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Ok, here we go:
Knelt on a needle, went through kneecap, broke in 2 and required 3 hr surgery to remove from the centre of joint (lounge floor injury)

Shocked FTS....FFS....that sounds sodding unpleasant...ouch!

Cracked a small bone in my thumb following a car crash - rolled twice. Worst injury sustained out of the 3 of us!

Both rotator cuffs, both skiing.

Nowt else.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, blimey, it's a miracle you're still standing! Shocked I'm amazed you let the Frostlets play at all. Or, there again, perhaps that's why you became a coach - to make sure they, unlike you, were properly coached.
ski holidays
I was unlucky with the knee injuries, the needle thing was aged 8 and I was never given any rehab physio until the last operation. Playing at a good level one will get injured and one has to accept that. So far Tom has missed one week 7 yts, josh has not been so lucky and missed 3 months last season with an ankle injury. People who suffer nasty injuries skiing usually don't give up.
ski holidays
Deleted

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 29-11-18 1:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Broke right leg - tib and fib - motorcyle

Broke right shoulder - parachuting

Broke left wrist - cycling

Broke left elbow - cycling

Broke finger - sailing

Broke another finger - sailing

Broke rib - rugby

I dare not mention no breaks ski-ing.

John
snow conditions
There were some x-rays done to try and find a hairline fracture in my toe (I kicked a lampost as a teenager). I think the outcome was that there was one, but nothing was done about it. Also in primary school I fell (or jumped) off a vaulting horse in the gym and landed on my chest (causing a lot of winding and bruising) but no bone breakages.

I have never broken anything more serious, although I have had quite a few falls on ice. Mostly muscular damage done.

My most serious rugby injury was a chipped front tooth and a pulled hamstring, both done in training sessions. (that is despite playing tight head prop, flanker, and full back at different stages in life) I no longer play, now being too old for that game. Someone once stamped on my forehead, causing a few stitches, but that was not serious. (it bleeds more there and so looks more serious than it was). The head stamper was called "skully", obviously by reputation!

I have banged the back of my head a couple of times in my life on ice. Once when very young, an ice-slide was made early in the morning by pouring water on the pavement. I slid down it, and banged the back of my head. This happened again when I was skiing in USA, down a double black diamond on my own which was very icy. In neither cases was I examined. I did feel a bit sick afterwards though, both times.

I wear a helmet now, whenever I know there will be ice on the slopes!

rolling eyes
ski holidays
Let me join in on the fun:

-Broken shoulder (Hit a tree limb)
- Broken Right Index and Middle Finger (Tried to break my fall awkwardly)
-Broken Ribs (Originally diagnosed by X-Ray Technician Jobs as bruised ribs)
- Torn ACL (Don't ask)

Seems like everyone on this thread is banged up. LOL
latest report
gandolflundgren, welcome to snowHead

Why dont ask on the ACL?
snow conditions
NickyJ, yes, most common ski injury, I think, except for thumb. Count me in (plus medial).
Also had my leg cut open quite badly by broken cleat on dry ski slope.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy