Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
what is the best way to get there .. ? from any london airport.. i had never even heard of sion .. was surprised it was so far from geneva.. mind you my swiss geography is poor.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zurich, much better airport, similar time by train as Geneva.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sion is a small airport but it is a lot closer to Zermatt than the alternatives. You might find this google map http://bit.ly/azklny useful geography-wise. Snowjet are currently the only company offering commercial flights to Sion. It's a winter only service from London Stansted.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The train looks like a very good option for Zermatt, as you are taken directly into resort with only one change from Geneva. If you drive to Zermatt, you have to leave your car in a rather expensive heated car park (or the overflow outside parking which is also quite expensive). Then you have to get the train up to the resort anyway!

The road which goes from where the main car park is to Zermatt is extremely narrow and fragile. Small cars can get closer than the main car park, but I would not advise it. You cannot drive a car into Zermatt, all roads are blocked off. All cars in Zermatt are electric.

There is probably a bus transfer which would take you to the train, and so you would have to change there anyway. (the train only takes about 15 minutes for the last leg of the journey)

I am not sure if it is not easier and cheaper to go to Cervinia and ski over with a package deal! However, you cannot always ski over to Zermatt from Cervinia. Sometimes the lifts will be closed due to high winds.

Sion is close to many resorts in the Valais region of Switzerland. However, where can you fly from to get to Sion? There are not many carriers going there. I have checked and it seems London Stanstead to Sion is possible, but it can be costly compared to flying to Geneva. You still have to get a transfer to resort, and it will not be much cheaper by train.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
True that the airfare on a Sion flight maybe a little more expensive than some of the low-cost Geneva options but the train from sion to Zermatt is around half the price compared with catching the train from Geneva and takes less than half the time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
what about driving to zurich and getting the train from there? i ssume the trains all geared up for transporting er.. gear?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CANV CANVINGTON, I got the train in from Basel a couple of years ago with a couple of switches and it was pain free. Plenty storage for skis and suitcases IME.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:
what about driving to zurich and getting the train from there? i ssume the trains all geared up for transporting er.. gear?

Every carriage has ski racks at the end, and overhead luggage racks inside.

Powder Monkey wrote:
True that the airfare on a Sion flight maybe a little more expensive than some of the low-cost Geneva options but the train from sion to Zermatt is around half the price compared with catching the train from Geneva and takes less than half the time.

Half of the regular price or half the price of "Swiss transfer ticket"?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When we flew there we landed in Sion had a bus to a train station then took the train. We then had little electric taxi to our hotel. All in a bit of a faff. Sure there must have been better options.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take train from Geneva Airport and change at Visp for the mountain train up into Zermatt.

Journey is 3-4 hours depending on what train you get - catch the intercity one if you can, regional train is a bit basic. It's a fairly long journey but it's the most enjoyable transfer I have ever had. Great views out along the lake and then between the mountains and of course the climb up to Zermatt itself. Think of it as a pleasurable part of the holiday rather than a troublesome transfer. About £75/80 return if you use the transfer ticket.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A tip if catching the train from Geneva Airport, most of the trains don't have any food/drink facilities on board.

The good new is that there is a supermarket on the same level as the train station, where you can stock up on food and soft drinks. The bad news is that they don't stock any alcoholic drinks. Crying or Very sad

But don't fret, there is a beer/wine shop very close on the same level that will satisfy your alcoholic needs and I believe they even supply plastic glasses free with any purchases. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy