Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group skiing 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Still relatively new to this so apologies if this is in the wrong section. I also know its not yet summer, but I have a feeling it may take some organising!

There is a group of us looking to go for a weeks skiing in early January 2012 - there will between 8 and 12 of us ranging from advance piste skiers to total never done it before beginnings. Likely to be split 50-50 with a couple in the middle that have been for 1 week before.

It has been partly left with me to put some ideas together as to which resort and whether we go got a chalet, hotel or apts.

On that basis I would be grateful of any suggestions as to which resorts may be most appropriate for our group? We would probably prefer somewhere with some good après/night life to keep everyone happy. And also from you organisers out there, what accomodation would you go for? I am more inclined to look at a chalet holiday with a view to filling one.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

It has been partly left with me to put some ideas together as to which resort and whether we go got a chalet, hotel or apts.

No up to date advice to offer, but good luck. Remember money talks so ask 'em for money asap in the process, that will soon make them all make a descision wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Budget is a key consideration when thinking about what type of accomm to get, as well as location. France tend to have lots of chalets and self catering apartments, Austria and Italy favour hotels. I would shortlist some resorts first, and then look at accommodation options.

If you want nightlife, then Austria is probably a good place to start.
Mayrhofen has plenty of nightlife, huge area of slopes for your piste skiers and good ski schools for the beginners. I learned to ski there and really enjoyed it. However, Mayrhofen slopes may not be the best for beginners especially if they are timid, although the Ahorn slopes are more gentle, wide and quiet.
If your budget can stretch to it, Lech and Zurs might fit the bill. Good for beginners, pertty village, links to St Anton for your better skiers.

I am sure someone else will come along soon with more suggestions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I have to admit, I've not really looked at Austria as I have done most of my skiing in France. But have family who have been to st anton and thought it was great so I'll have a look at the two you mentioned with links.

But budget will definitely be an issue, we have a max of about £1000 all in really, so helps with the dates we want to go as this appears one of the cheapest weeks just after the new year etc.

I think chalet / hotel would be a good bet as saves hassle looking for places
To eat etc.

Thanks again!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most important thing in my experience is to get a significant deposit up front from each person to ensure commitment. So often folk think its a good idea at the time (i.e. 9 months in advance) but then pull out when they realise it's actually going to happen and proper money is involved.

Personal opinion is that a week is likely to be cheaper anywhere in Italy - apart from Courmayer and Cervinia - although they don't really do the chalet thing there so it would be hotels you'd be looking at.

One mere week in the Sella Ronda (Dolomites) has left me hugely impressed with the variety of skiing available there. Someone with more experience of the various villages on the circuit there might be able to advise on a particular place/village for apres.

Agreed Chalet hotels are good for groups and much easier to organise!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it that time already?, early-Jan is usually a good time to bag some bargains as (for most resorts) it's one of their quieter times. I've certainly managed to grab some terrific deals around this time of the year.

As for accomodations types: when I've been with mates, I've found having a small chalet to ourselves worked best for us - and would probably get my vote.

As for resorts, I'll let some of the better travelled SnowHeads advise!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have to agree with Big Paua. I have organised many group holidays and people dropping out is a nightmare for the remaining travellers. I would definitely demand a large deposit up front from your people and get it paid to the TO early.

The chalet thing has always worked really well for our groups as there is so much choice with 8-12 you'll always find a suitable chalet that you can fill completely thus not having to 'enjoy' your trip with others. Don't forget the cost of ski school for the beginners. Group lessons (am) are fine for them and they can 'practice' with the rest of you in the afternoon.

£1000 all-in will definitely get you a chalet in one of the major French resorts. It will also (just about) cover lift pass & hire if you're careful. I'm not really qualified to advise on non-French resorts so will leave that to the SH's that are.

Carettam mentions nightlife. Only you know what your group will like. For big nightlife consider Val d'Isere, Meribel, Les Deux Alpes, Val Thorens. Obviously costs in France are higher than Italy & Austria when you're in resort so you will need to factor in.

Good luck.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Look at Mark Warner, best chalet hol I have had by a mile, for the £50 or so you will pay above the TUI price it is money well spent.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it that time already? wrote:
Hi All,

Still relatively new to this so apologies if this is in the wrong section. I also know its not yet summer, but I have a feeling it may take some organising!

There is a group of us looking to go for a weeks skiing in early January 2012 - there will between 8 and 12 of us ranging from advance piste skiers to total never done it before beginnings. Likely to be split 50-50 with a couple in the middle that have been for 1 week before.

On that basis I would be grateful of any suggestions as to which resorts may be most appropriate for our group? We would probably prefer somewhere with some good après/night life to keep everyone happy. And also from you organisers out there, what accomodation would you go for? I am more inclined to look at a chalet holiday with a view to filling one.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

If I were booking it, I would check out this accommodation, and book in advance from Jun 15th one room when enough deposits have been received. When more deposits are received, book another room etc.

http://www.pv-holidays.com/gb-en/self-catering-val-isere-daille_VLL-E_fp?hc=VLL14&duree=7&dated=2011-08-20

You then have a transport issue. As long as the travelling is done in groups of 4 you could all take the Alpibus transfer from Geneva when your discount flights have been confirmed in groups of 4.

The resort is suitable for beginners and experts. Beginners will have to get the bus from La Daille to Val d'Isere ski school. Experts can take the furnicular straight to the top first thing in the morning, or the bubble car to La Folie Douce in order to read the FT first thing in the morning with a coffee.

Some groups of 4 could drive there, and park across the road in the free? (it was free the last time I was there) open air carpark. There is an underground car park across the road from the open air car park, for which there is a charge. Maybe take Eurotunnel, or a ferry, and pick up some cheap booze and food on the way at Super U in Bourg St Maurice.

However, the problem with me not being you, is that you will probably be a group full of awkward people who cannot agree on what to eat, who is going to cook it, etc. I know this is a big issue for women in groups, who can be very sensitive regarding who is cooking (particularly if they are veggies or have odd diets).

Also the sleeping accomodation may be all in single beds, some of them bunk beds. Not particularly comfortable too, so take a memory foam mattress topper!

You should get a bargain in early January, if you have any spare places send me email closer to the time (I won't pay a deposit as I do not know you)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 25-05-11 10:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach or Ischgl will be better than Anton for your group - there aren't (m)any particularly easy or hard pistes in Anton, the others offer a better range.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bigtipper wrote:

If I were booking it, I would check out this accommodation, and book in advance from Jun 15th one room when enough deposits have been received. When more deposits are received, book another room etc.

http://www.pv-holidays.com/gb-en/self-catering-val-isere-daille_VLL-E_fp?hc=VLL14&duree=7&dated=2011-08-20

You then have a transport issue. As long as the travelling is done in groups of 4 you could all take the Alpibus transfer from Geneva when your discount flights have been confirmed in groups of 4.

That sounds like a right palaver, not to mention a risky strategy

Quote:
Also the sleeping accomodation may be all in single beds, some of them bunk beds. Not particularly comfortable too, so take a memory foam mattress topper

are you serious Shocked
snowheads gold - add it to the laminated list thread Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A final thought, is that there is a free area to ski just across the road from the apartments next to the furnicular, where there is a button lift and a small slope. I believe beginners use this free area (no lift pass required), although I have never seen any ski schools there.

I'm not sure who this is intended for, perhaps the campervaners with kids use it?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I personally wouldn't do self catering with a big group particularly when you then have to arrange costly transfers. I'd stick with a TO who gets you to the resort.

I also agree with Kel, Mark Warner are great if you like hotels (I know they've got a couple of chalets). Worth looking at the smaller TOs like Olympic, Ski Total, Ski Beat, etc. But, economies of scale do give TUI (Crystal, 1st Choice, Thomson) a big competitve advantage. If you like hotels, consider Clubmed where everything inc beer is included. Me personally, I'd always choose a chalet.

Val Thorens is a fantastic resort that caters for everyone. Ski Total have a couple of ski in/out chalets right in the middle of resort by the lifts and their website is quoting very good prices from Gatwick (8th Jan). Lift pass & equipment hire are on top but you should still come in c. £1k pp.

I'd also leave your memory foam mattress topper at home ! SH Gold !!! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it that time already?, you have a PM Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowMonkey69 wrote:
I personally wouldn't do self catering with a big group particularly when you then have to arrange costly transfers. I'd stick with a TO who gets you to the resort.

This method does seem to have the advantage in that there is an incentive to be one of the early deposit givers. Those who wait, may have to pay extra for their transport if there are not a group of 4 travelling as a group!

Kind of the opposite of a last minute deal, in that it costs more if you wait, and is cheaper if you pay your deposit early.
latest report
As has been said it's much less hassle to book a package with a TO.

Get commitment from the group by taking an initial deposit before you book anywhere. Once you have definite numbers you can search with confidence.

I would avoid top resorts like Val D'Isere/St Anton/Chamonix/Verbier/Zermatt etc. for a couple of reasons: Not good for beginners and expensive.

Avoid anywhere which requires buses. The beginners will not be comfortable walking in boots and carrying skis.

For good night-life it's got to be Austria.
ski holidays
Thanks for everyones comments, they are much appreciated. There are so many different options to look at it makes the mind boggle after a while!

I think catered chalet is the way to go as like it has been pointed out, there is no arguments over what/when and who will cook. Dinner will be served as specified time based on the menu.

I agree, smaller TO is also most likely as hopefully it will be easier to organise with direct communication as opposed to with a major TO.

Just the resort really to ensure it caters for everyone. From what the core of the group have said (in other words the definates) they prefer the idea of France somewhere so fully open to suggestions.

And i agree with almost everyone that a large deposit to ensure commitment is a great idea, its easy to say now that you want to go until you need to pay up in which case it can be a different story!! then the headaches will begin.

Again thanks.
snow report
Hi,

It might be worth having a look at Paradiski (linked La Plagne and Les Arcs areas) which has a massive amount of piste and caters well for different levels. You can see more here: http://www.paradiski.com/

We have a catered chalet in Les Coches which is in the heart of the domain (link in my tag line), and a couple of other snowheads are based there too.

Happy planning!
Heather
snow conditions
trry Italy, book early with http://www.folgarida.co.uk/pages/folgarida_skiing_ski_school.html as it seems to cover all your needs Little Angel
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy