Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Haute Route Movie: http://youtu.be/4YdS6Y6jnu8

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I happened onto this short film about what looks like an April 2011 assault on the Haute route - I would really recommend a quick view it looks beautiful and is much better than the usual dull slide show matched to 'What a wonderful World'!
http://youtube.com/v/4YdS6Y6jnu8
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TG Burton, you "happened" upon it? Laughing Not related to the T Burton that wrote, filmed, edited and directed it then? C'mon fess up.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hate to say it, but I found the clip boring.

And not particularly any more beautiful than many of the still photos I've seen.

But I guess taste differs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller wrote:
TG Burton, you "happened" upon it? Laughing Not related to the T Burton that wrote, filmed, edited and directed it then? C'mon fess up.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

and she wasnt sure when the trip was Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Disingenuous first post and quite boring, the skiing went it came was hardly epic either. Seemed to suck all the joy out of ski-touring.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, yes, but perhaps the biggest crime is calling it the "Howt" Route.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think everyone is perhaps being a little harsh. Sure it didn't get me as excited about skiing as
http://youtube.com/v/ANbS6AaEunM and it is perhaps a bit weird to pretend it isn't your film. Is it actually against snowheads rules to post a link to your own video you have made?

But I thought it was a well put together short film of a mere mortal's trip, who doesn't have a professional film crew behind them. It made me want to give ski touring a go and showed a more rounded picture of what its like getting into the real back country, not all just endless powder, but also going up a bit as well!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I quite liked it, the commentary was pretty good too. The skiing was quite lame though - would have been nice to have more.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 15-05-11 2:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really enjoyed your video! Hopefully you'll stick around and become part of the snowHead community and not just here to promote your editing skills.

The edits were great, the VO was interesting and the subject fantastic.

Thanks for posting.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I liked it too! I assume your 'I happened onto this short film' was intended to be a bit tongue in cheek, right?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Aye - good video IMHO... Thumbs up from me.
Thoughtful commentary that captures some of the real slog involved with alpine ski touring.
Good on ya for getting out there and getting it done - unlike the arm chair experts above...

FWIW my only HR attempt (2009) got scuppered by 4 days of 80-100kmph winds at Grand Montets.
So you did better than me !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Aye - good video IMHO... Thumbs up from me.
Thoughtful commentary that captures some of the real slog involved with alpine ski touring.
Good on ya for getting out there and getting it done - unlike the arm chair experts above...

FWIW my only HR attempt (2009) got scuppered by 4 days of 80-100kmph winds at Grand Montets.
So you did better than me !
Well I must say I watched it and really enjoyed the short film. Obviously as I can see from the posts there is a huge difference between those who like to stay on the piste and those who like to tour. If you have ever had the pleasure of ski touring and by looking at some of the posts I guess this isn't many of you there are a couple of things to learn. 1. Touring is tough and finding powder may take about 6-7 hours of hard skinning up and 2. The date was April 2011 any of you who did manage to get out of the arms chairs this year will know that this has been the driest alpine winter for 30 years so to find any snow to ski on at all is difficult. Plus whilst I am on my rant the Haute Route is one of the most difficult and demanding things you can undertake on a pair of skis and all kit must be limited to only what will help you survive - so for this lady to take a camera & film on some of those summits & get footage was remarkable. Touring is a very different sport to skiing and really it is about the journey and this is what the film sums up so nicely for me. Also as a fellow Londoner no accent comments please!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TG Burton, nice film, welcome to snowheads Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks to all who have watched it (Bode Swiller -if you don't push yourself forward who will Blush) and huge thanks for those who enjoyed it. For those of you who ski tour (looks like there are some fine touring fans out there ) it really was just about highlighting what is essentially ski touring and trying to do it in a different way. I agree it can look a bit dull as skinning behind someone for 11 hours a day lacks explosive action! Also the snow was terrible this year so no really amazing powder shots as it took all our ability to stay upright & not die sometimes. Fingers crossed though it will show more of what touring is (i.e endless lung stretching skinning) and maybe even get some of you touring?? Noted - Sorry about the monotone / regional accent and poor camera work - will try harder next time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice video, but I found the pretentious po-faced commentary at first tiring, then eventually just plain annoying;

"my preference is for polar conditions. not this white hot sun"
Polar conditions? In the Alps? er, ok...
White hot sun? Just as long as your not exaggerating for effect or anything like that...

"Piste skiing has never been of interest to me"
So where and how did you learn to ski?

"Groomed slopes and heated chairlifts all intrude into natures playground"
But the infrastructure of air and road travel to get you to "natures playground", not to mention the huts you kip in on the route, are completely acceptable, presumably?

I could go on, almost every sentence is a candidate for Pseuds Corder. You an off-piste skier who enjoys challenging routes, not David Hempleman-Adams, get over yourself.

ps "...quiet satisfaction of saying Yes, I've done the Haute Route"
Quiet satisfaction you say? Apart form the bit where you spend ages doing a voice-over and posting on You Tube then sending onto everyone you've ever met. Quiet satisfaction indeed.
ski holidays
TG Burton wrote:
(Bode Swiller -if you don't push yourself forward who will Blush)
erm, an imaginary friend? Anyway, keep up the good work, I wasn't having a go at you just amused by how you chose to introduce it.
ski holidays
GRoberts, Welcome to sHs nice insulting first post for everyone who isn't up to your obviously self important standards as a ski tourer. I think you'll find most of the participants in this thread have at least a rudimentary understanding of what ski touring involves even if multi day hut to hut trips aren't their particular passion. Funny I've noticed quite often that some of the people who bang on most about how they don't like resorts etc aren't actually that good as skiers. Perhaps its something to do with the downhill mileage that lift infrsatructure affords.
latest report
I quite liked it.

I can see why it's not everyone's cup of tea - but personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to be a bit arty with the visuals and poetic with the voice-over.
ski holidays
i thought it was OK. editing a video which is vaguely watchable for more than about 30s is quite hard IME and this one was nice
snow report
Wow – not my intention to start a piste vs. touring row. Wanted to show the reality of the 90:10 tour this year i.e. 90% walking, skinning, scrambling vs. 10% skiing (mostly on terrible snow) in a way which wasn’t a slide show (apologies to all you slide show fans I know there are lots of you out there). Yes artistic license in buckets but frankly narrating 11 hour days of literally following a pair of boots is pretty tricky. Also not wanting it to be preachy at all - it’s nice to get from A to B on your own steam and step up to the Haute Route challenge but very happy to admit I flew Easyjet to Geneva. Also whilst all comments are good I will add we toured the Domes de Miage in late March this year (beautiful) and had melting snow and t-shirt weather sub 2600 meters and frozen insulated camelbaks and frost nip >3200 meters. My point about the piste really is that I spend most of my life in traffic jams & queues and chair lifts and red runs just seem like the alpine equivalent (TO ME) also on a more serious note I am finding piste skiing increasingly more dangerous. Frankly, I just found myself wanting to explore what was on the other side of the rope. Hey Bode! Laughing
snow conditions
Is this one massive elaborate troll?
snow conditions
Dr John wrote:
Is this one massive elaborate troll?

No, get back in your cage. Anyone who has never ski toured would find that film very useful and, now I've watched it again, I think it's a pretty darn good effort, well shot and edited. Besides... there you have a group of fit females who can ski and enjoy a drink. Our sport needs more like that.
snow report
Thanks for posting the video, I enjoyed it Very Happy
snow conditions
*rattles cage door*

I said it was a nice video, and I appreciate touring is a rigorous and rewarding activity. It was the pretentious, conceited and downright condescending commentary I was objecting to.

Must we suppress our critical faculties just because some snow features in a video?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy