Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
News from glencoe

Beginners Tow

The tow and snow fencing is now complete and the tow is ready to roll - all we need now is some snow.

Snow Cannon

We have a demo snow cannon coming from Techno Alpin in the next few weeks.

The purpose of this cannon is threefold:-
To trial whether large scale snowmaking (from the top of the cliffy down) is a possibility.
To ensure (if possible) that we have some snow for beginners and sledging on our opening weekend (17th Dec).
To ensure that we make the bottom of the plateau run, poma uptrack and new beginners run as snow sure as possible throughout the whole season

We eventually (after a very long wait) got approval on the 24th of October for our 10 Hobbit Houses, camper van hookups and a camping area. The first Hobbits arrived on site on Wednesday and we are now working flat out to try and ensure that we can get all the groundworks, shower block, plumbing, cabling etc done in time for the units to be available for the ski season.

As soon as we are confident that we can comply with the council regulations for a campsite licence our booking system will go online on our website.

The plan is to rent the Hobbits for just £40 (£10pppn) per night.

We hope to keep the cafe open serving meals and drinks until 10.30pm every evening.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great work from the team at Glencoe, very deserving of a good chunk our ski £££'s this coming season and beyond. This kind of base development could have a very real benefit for Scottish centres, all being away from "resort". Top marks for going the "whole hog" with substantial facilities like keeping some catering available, etc. - I reckon the vibe at camp the night before/after big days with a pie, pint & campfire will be awesome. (saw a pic of the hobbit houses (blinged out traditional gyppo vans basically Smile) already, and they look fab.)

Equally, boosting the experience for beginners can only be good for the future.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My season pass for Glenshee arrived last week, complete with a complimentary ticket for a 4 hour session at Braehead. That, together with the free day passes for Glencoe and Cairngorm from the Ski Show, certainly helps eke out the pension !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The eco pods will make Glencoe the first UK ski area with ski in ski out accommodation, or at least the potential ......

Although a purist may consider that the Pennine 'ski area' at Allenheads alreday has that potential if you stay at the pub Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very impressive stuff from Glencoe, they really are trying very hard to make improvements and secure a great future for what is 'probably' the best wee ski area in Scotland Very Happy

They definitely deserve support and given my boot fitter tells me I have Hobbit feet I may well have to try some of their accommodation sometime Laughing

Great to see they are trialling (hopefully properly, although I'm sure given who they're talking to it will be) snow making, very impressed by that too.

Now where are those November snow storms? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
temps mid teens round about today rolling eyes (the usual mini-rollercoaster this time of year!)

hope this eastern US storm tracks in the right direction and has a bit left!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A nice positive story on the Beeb website: Ski resorts bring in Hobbit Houses and new lifts

Now where's that bl**dy snow?!? Skullie
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I often wondered why the use of snow cannons were not adopted in Scotland. I suspected the reason was temperature fluctuations, which would cause the snow to melt too frequently. I then suspected that it was the cost which prevented the use of snow cannons. Maybe this trial in Glencoe will determine why snow cannons are not used extensively early, mid, and late season.

I think the altitude is too low for snow cannons, but I may be wrong!

rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Updated from Nevis range twitter feed: https://twitter.com/#!/TheNevisRange/status/137201983319838721
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bigtipper, it's partially to do with humidity isn't it?

Also I think it's quite hard for them to get permission to put in the required infrastructure.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Your wrong.

Jamie Johnston as part of his degree dissertation showed that snow cannon would work in scotland down as far as Glenmore at Cairngorm with modern snow guns. Whats required is the investment to set up snowmaking over a large area. It wouldn't be cheap might be difficult to get past the luddites of the environmental movement and it is difficult to prove in advance that the investment plus increased running costs would be matched by a sufficient increase in income to make the investment worthwhile.

The problem with the present snowmaking setup is:
1) its piecemeal
2) its generally old
3) its not run much and only to put down the minimum snow to allow skiing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think then that it is the cost which is the main blockage. However it seems cost effective enough in a fridge, so why not on piste?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bigtipper, one is indoors, climate controlled, tiny area, with ready access to water easily delivered under correct conditions, the other is on the side of a hill without the benefit of pre-designed-for-the-task infrastructure like water delivery, power etc, over a vast area, in full force of weather. Not really a fair comparison
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From Nevis Facebook...

Is this new fencing or just the old line? It's a shame there aren't more resources for fence lines. Are they missing a trick?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
not sure were that is best guess is "far west" as it looks quite low down and the photo is looking west and can't see any other tows etc....
ski holidays
II wrote:
not sure were that is best guess is "far west" as it looks quite low down and the photo is looking west and can't see any other tows etc....

Ya ne'er ken ... but that fence might help build a base for a ski run down to Fort Bill. wink
ski holidays
Latest from the gorm on prep for the arrival of the snaa

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/blog-entry/pre-season-update#.TsZh7OQeyiY.facebook
ski holidays
Bigtipper wrote:
I often wondered why the use of snow cannons were not adopted in Scotland. I suspected the reason was temperature fluctuations, which would cause the snow to melt too frequently. I then suspected that it was the cost which prevented the use of snow cannons. Maybe this trial in Glencoe will determine why snow cannons are not used extensively early, mid, and late season.

You are wrong.

Scotland is gunless because it's run by losers.

People who think "investment" is spending a thousand bux on a 1980s snowgun and a bit of hosepipe.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

You are wrong.
Scotland is gunless because it's run by losers.
People who think "investment" is spending a thousand bux on a 1980s snowgun and a bit of hosepipe.

White Gold = Patrick Thorne the ski journalist Laughing Laughing
Who is the loser now ?

http://www.thesnowhunter.com/
http://twitter.com/#!/snowhoper
snow conditions
Whitegold, WTF? Puzzled

Haggis_Trap, is that a joke or do you know something I don't?
snow conditions
Some great news from Cairngorm: http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/blog-entry/pre-season-update#.TsZh7OQeyiY.facebook

Lots of work seems to have been done over the summer and to top it all they are collaborating with Glencoe in getting some trial snowmaking equipment from Techno Alpin as well as some expert support and advice in from the company to help with trials.

Great news about the picnic area and toilets at The Sheiling too.

Oh, and I hope I don't jinx this by mentioning it, but we seem to be looking at the potential of the first significant falls of the white stuff later next week - fingers and toes crossed on this!
snow report
roga, Great news regarding snow. When is this due and you say significant, how much?
snow report
roga - next time read all the unread posts then you won't repeat previous posts wink

whitegold - your comments indicate you're not a fan of skiing in Scotland - good please stay away. However you probably have no choice now you've been "outed".

as roga commented expecting first significant snowfalls on the ski areas by next weekend (26/27 nov) then hopefully some of the lifts will be spinning before the start of December.
ski holidays
pfairbrother, Actually whitegold has previously been quite positive on the skiing in Scotland, his issue has always been his perception that they lack "the balls" the do things "properly"...

Also, I would be very surprised if Whitegold is Patrick Thorne...
snow report
^ I like Scotch skiing, dude.

Often flown long distances to get there.

But their efforts at snowmaking are comical.

Hope the snow arrives next week for them.
ski holidays
pfairbrother, wow your positive!!! Think Whitegold, was making reference to the fact that Scottish resorts have never made an attempt to make snow, unlike most other ski resorts.
snow report
Quote:
Also, I would be very surprised if Whitegold is Patrick Thorne...

Who else has a near encylopedic knowledge of ski resorts all across the globe including USA, Canada, Europe, Japan and further afield? Many of the themes / topics and facts quoted by Whitegold about the worlds '6000 resorts' are identical to those used in Patrick Thornes articles. Plus there is a working knowledge of Scottish ski resorts and a recurring ecological themes about glaciers melting / reduced snowfall (also present in Patrick Thornes articles and various sideprojects). I am near certain it his alter web forum ego...

Dont worry - you secret is safe here wink
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, alright Sherlock! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pfairbrother wrote:
roga - next time read all the unread posts then you won't repeat previous posts wink

All right boss NehNeh Wink
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
^ I like Scotch skiing, dude.

Single malt or blended? Razz
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, I think you are seriously over-crediting Whitegold Shocked Laughing Laughing

Just go back to some of his early posts on here and you'll see what I mean...
snow conditions
Whitegold,
Total posts: 4531
[0.24% of total / 2.45 posts per day]

I dont think Whitegold knows anything about Scottish skiing or he would know that the Lecht has used snow cannon successfully and Glenshee also use them, in fact does he really know anything about skiing.
snow conditions
larry1950 wrote:
I dont think Whitegold knows anything about Scottish skiing or he would know that the Lecht has used snow cannon successfully and Glenshee also use them, in fact does he really know anything about skiing.

Now you're just encouraging Haggis_Trap to think he's Patrick Thorne Wink
snow conditions
Read this link....
Then tell me you still dont believe it is a distinct possibility whitegold might just be patrick thorne.

http://www.thesnowmag.com/camps/2009/10/skiing-scotland

FWIW - I quite like Whitegold. Despite being an opionated dude, on a permanent wind up, he clearly knows lots about various global ski resorts. If I was a ski journalist looking for news and stories then I would probably hang about here too. In someways I dont want to know the answer - its adds to the soap opera and drama Cool
snow report
Haggis_Trap, Interesting, although doesn't actually fit with my impression of whitegold at all... But it's all the interpretation isn't it...

Back on topic, any sign of the "white gold" yet?
latest report
ski holidays
YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

ThanksAlans deep bath for posting that, made my day snowHead

Now we just need more!
ski holidays
looks like this weekend could drag us properly into winter, my 4x4 getting serviced and re-shod on thursday (15 miles away, hope it dont mega-dump until I get it back Shocked )

i'm gonnae predict spinning lifts from sometime next week, with action available sooner if you're willing to work for it.

(its November 22nd, time for a RAMP Laughing )
ski holidays
I don't think we'll be skiing till early Feb at this rate (anti jinx)
snow report
Hmm don't have any plans for first weekend in December yet... And I'll have been paid... Here's praying for more!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy