Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
mr_big_ad, Yeah the lecht seem to have their cams on slopes in places look darker - not sure if its ice showing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im planning a last minute trip to Nevis/Glencoe this weekend and kinda repeating what Garethb said...and ideas on conditions? The pictures above look eipc but I get the idea theres been a bit of a thaw the last few days?? Cheers
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Garethb,
maybe snow saturated with water
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aside from the half frozen swamp at the bottom of the Grouse Poma at the Lecht looking a right mess, so far most of the damage is pretty much cosmetic impacting visual appearance rather than the actual open ski terrain itself. Why? In short the effect of snow drifting into the ski runs, leaves other parts of the hill with only a very thin partial cover which will quickly thaw off, revealing where the real base actually is.

Damage has been limited by the fact that quite a bit of the rain came down in freezing temperatures last night, it does mean the snow pack will have a high water content and freeze up denser though (not entirely a bad thing for anyone sliding later in Spring mind).

In terms of CairnGorm the mountain is in a better situation today than 2 or 3 days ago with the Gunbarrel further improved, the last of the burn well buried and a better width and depth in it. The Daylodge is slap in the middle of an inversion layer today and you wouldn't be able to see the Coire Cas run from the bottom cam. Anyone in the carpark at Glencoe just now will think it's a horrible day up the hill:

Meanwhile at the top:

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

^T40 lights up the bottom of the Gunbarrel

^Snow cannon blasting, adds to the drifting.

^Along comes a Piste Basher.... (Note nets by burn at bottom of Gunbarrel, where 2 patrollers are standing).

^...or two.

^Back for more.

^Job Done. Gunbarrel burn fully filled in.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Winterhighland, thanks for all the info, has reasured me a lot, now itching to get the skis on! Will take some pics when we are there!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A great day at Glenshee on Tuesday, inversion mist got blown up onto the Cairnwell from the South with a Southerly breeze blowing. It was a bit more stubborn than might have been hoped for from the forecast, but the brighter spells did gradually lengthen on the Cairnwell too, while Coire Fionn was sunny each time I was out there. Pretty sweet underski conditions for the most part, thanks to the new groomers this was the case even where cover wasn't fantastic such as on Sunnyside. Upper Fionn Red had loose windblown fresh, lower steeper pitch was slightly harder.

Can't really underline just how transformational the impact of the Baddoch Chairlift on the Cairnwell side of the mountain is. It's hardly the world's sexiest new ski lift, but it was undoubtedly rightly the top priority at Glenshee. Access to the Cairnwell side of the area and around it is now vastly improved, both in terms of ease of access, use and uplift capacity. Buy your ticket and it's skis on at the end of the building straight onto the Chairlift. From the top of the Baddoch you have easy access to all the Cairnwell and Carn Aosda tows as well as the Cairnwell Cafe. It also greatly improves the ease and speed of switching from oneside of the A93 to the other.

^New Baddoch Chair and Cairnwell Mountain Restaurant. Snow making around the cafe means excellent connections between the lifts.

^Hazy sunshine through a thin layer of high cloud above inversion mist in the Glen below Meall Odhar.

^Sun breaks through the inversion mist at the top of the Coire Fionn Pomas.

Plenty of good riding for all ability levels, mostly the best sport is where the best established base is, Slalom RaceTrack on the Cairnwell, Butchart's Coire, Tom Dearg and Coire Fionn. However the pick of the day was skiers left of the Caenlochan Poma on Meall Odhar. Perfect machine groomed snow with windblown fresh on top, coupled with all the natural twists, turns, sudden pitch changes and rollers made for an absolute blast - sorry lack of photos from there was to busy having fun!

snowHead

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 9-02-12 18:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Braveheart was warming up this afternoon ... and will, conditions permitting, run from tomoro through next week. The Back Corries will continue to be assessed on a dairly basis. Please check the snow reports beforehand on the website and then, once on the hill, check the onsite screens, whiteboards and speak to Ski Patrol for the latest info. The informal (and free) Transcevier Park Workshops are on Saturday - 11am or 1pm for 1 hour, with Ski Patrol. You can hire transceivers, shovel and probe from our Equipment Hire, best to book in advance.

-Nevis Range
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winterhighland, Is it true that the scottish schools dont have a whole week off as holiday next week? So potentially wed thurs and fri could be a little quieter? If snow hasnt held up as well at Glencoe might consider Glenshee as well as Cairngorm later next
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GarethB wrote:
If snow hasnt held up as well at Glencoe might consider Glenshee as well as Cairngorm later next

How did you come to a conclusion that that would be a possibility ? Puzzled Even if it didn't snow again this winter & a hair-drier thaw set in, there'd be skiing on all the main runs at Glencoe for weeks to come. Glenshee on the other hand could be wiped out in a few days & Cairngorm could be left with just Coire Cas & Ptarmigan Upper.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Garethb, Glencoe tends to hold snow a bit better up top, and from my observations has had a bit more fall from the sky this winter. Then again, I'm sure they've had more rain too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross, that would be great news, my preference is definitely Glencoe as it would be quieter than Glenshee. I dont know much about Glencoe as a ski area, if theres likely to be the green and blue runs there even with this recent rain and slightly warmer weather then I would go. My wife is a more nervous skier - which is a pity as I actually think her technique is better than mine (I wouldnt admit it to her tho!) but me and my son tend to be a bit braver!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Garethb, the majority of Scottish Councils have a long weekend, a few are Fri/Mon off, I think most are Mon/Tues, but some have a full week off this year including Highland.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glencoe today
The runs were generally well filled untill the plateau which was skiable but thin in places. Surface very variable , soft snow had refrozen, it softened in places and then refroze during the afternoon. Enjoyable day but a bit mixed conditions highlight of the day was seeing a Brocken spectre which is the first time I have seen one whilst skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Great day again over at Summit Gully a bit icy getting in but all good after that as the sun softened the snow slightly.

I was shocked how hard the snow had set up when we got off Braveheart for the traverse round totally different in Summit Gully.

There is now a Facebook page for the Back Corries join the community... Smile http://www.facebook.com/BackCorries?sk=wall
latest report
It turned out to be a two mountain day yesterday with a few testing early runs in the Back Corrie at Nevis before its snow had softened up and its Braveheart chair was running and then later, a few runs at Glencoe before making my way home. Ahh, the benefits of an all-area season pass. Toofy Grin

Cloud capped low over the Back Corrie ski runs at Nevis Range ...

Its entrance looked sweet enough but the snow was concrete so Nevis Range's Chancer was not a run to ski yesterday ...

Glencoe's 'Spring Run' came complete with frozen bumps and a glazed surface ...

Taking the chair down while looking back up to the well-filled main runs at Glencoe ...
snow report
Two of the best areas in one day sweet Very Happy

Great pics especially the first one... Shocked

Can I post it on the Back Corrie FB page?
snow report
BackCorriesNR, thanks ... it was nice to see the sunshine. And of course you can use it. I'm already signed up to the FB page ... you know who I am ... just lift it or link it or whatever you want:)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 13-02-12 15:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
moffatross, great photos! Very Happy
ski holidays
Good pix.

Sunday looking like a snowy, sunnyish day.
snow report
Tomorrow looks good in the west. Ross, where you heading? Off to glencoe for loner me Very Happy
snow report
Looks like tomorrow could be a good day. Looking forward to seeing pictures.
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:

Cloud capped low over the Back Corrie ski runs at Nevis Range ...

]

Nice, saw this photo on the weather email.
ski holidays
I'm offf to glencoe on Sunday.

Yellow norrona trousers and black giro helmet.

rossi zenith skis.
Probably green mountain hardware or black Togo24 jacket

Say hello

Cheers
bob
snow conditions
Ps.... Old Volvo saloon.....silver
ski holidays
glasgowcyclops, will keep an eye out Very Happy
latest report
Fresh snow and the Plateau Poma has imploded, excellent news for a weekend day with fresh snow and no crowds Twisted Evil
ski holidays
A megathaw is on the way for Scotland next week.

The season could be starting to sunset for some resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First cuppa and I'm off. Only day I've managed this year.

Sad but true
ski holidays
Quote:
Fresh snow and the Plateau Poma has imploded, excellent news for a weekend day with fresh snow and no crowds Twisted Evil

I think half of Scotland had the same thought process last night!!
snow report
Good snow and fine weather at Glencoe today although it was busier than of late but with the longest queue being at most 5 minutes but more typically 1 or 2 minutes, it certainly wasn't offputting, more a chance to give the legs a rest Cool Skied with my oldest lad and fellow snowhead shoogly and we had a great day. Little Angel

More photos here ... http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2930 but this one's of shoogly and Jack putting in some turns on the best (and quietest) snow on the mountain ...

ski holidays
Quality. Gutted I couldn;t make it up Sad

Fingers crossed for a snowy April Laughing
snow report
moffatross, it was a great day Very Happy Good to meet your Jack as well. He did well considering his lack of recent skiing.

What that photo doesn't show very well is the bulletproof ice on the entry to Spring run. It was interesting, especially being only my 4th ski day of the season. It showed with some of my skiing Embarassed

Managed to bag early morning freshies for a good while before everything was tracked out. Some big lumps of ice underneath some really nice snow, but once figured out it was easy to avoid the ice in certain places. The edges took punishment on the entry to certain areas though. Some comedy, and some not so comedy tumbles were witnessed and I think ski patrol were kept busy.

Note to self... really must get those boots replaced.
latest report
Is the Scottish season cyclical? I mean this year looks like a disaster, but the last few years have been unbelievable. IS there a 3yr/5yr cycle to the good seasons? Any "old boys" have a view?
ski holidays
^ i've heard talk of 3, 5, 7, 30 year cycles rolling eyes, not convinced by any of it. One thing I would say about this year is that while its definitely not as good as the past few, there's still plenty of time - by far my favourite months to ski up here are March & April (and more frequently than you might think, May), with March often bringing significant snows as the weather generally starts to improve. I'm still looking forward to a decent spring touring season yet
snow report
It's a shame after we started so well. I wouldn't rule out a snowy March though, as barry says.

My season this year peaked on day 1.

HighRustler for the photo credit:
snow conditions
Strax, what makes you think this year is a "disaster"???
ski holidays
Some perspective on this season:

^Skier in the Haggis Trap, Main Basin at Glencoe 2nd April 2010.

^Skiers and boarders in the Haggis Trap 19th Feb 2012.

In the second photo, you'll see 3 prominent rocky outcrops by the Main Basin T-bar, follow the middle one towards the right of the photo to where there are a cluster of people - that's the Haggis Trap. Compare and contrast!
snow conditions
Winterhighland, that first haggis trap photo is great.

Couple more pics from Sunday...

moffatross on Spring run... sorry, I've managed to make this look less steep than it actually is - needs a wee bit tilting. Laughing

Ross's son, Jack

Rainbow Ross

View north
snow report
So the forecast not looking too great for the next few days - warm temps and rain. Followed maybe by lower temps and a bit of snow perhaps from Sunday (or so Snow-Forecast says anyway).

How badly will this affect the skiing? A few days of consistently above freezing temperatures and heavy rain will presumably have a big impact?

I have the first weekend in March free and was hoping I'd be able to sneak up there for the weekend. I understand obviously the forecast is unpredictable etc. but with the high temps forecast in the shorter term does that mean it'll be pretty much unsavageable for the weekend after this?

Also got a week in Aberdeen for work towards the end of March so hoping I can maybe fit something in there if there's decent snow...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy