Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Yep, great day at Glencoe, with surprisingly good visibility & some very nice snow. Little Angel More pix in link below.

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2854

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monday was the day... 6 inches of fresh overnight in the West and good visibility and plenty of bright/sunny spells at Glencoe:

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a good day at Glencoe today although you couldn't see much Sad

Also it started to get pretty warm about 1ish hopefully they'll not lose much snow and can gain some more once the temps come down

Hurt my knee a bit today so hopefully it's not perfect over the next week cos I would hate to miss another bluebird day with nice snow like yesterday
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just noticed on Facebook that Glencoe has Whitedot skis to demo if anyone is interested.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So where's looking best to go over the next week?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have just finished the Coe Cup website (ok its a work in progress but I'm used to building skis not websites). Its www.coecup.com
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was looking pretty grom as drove past Gelncoe this lunchtime. Poor vis and rain. Now in Fort William and it's blowing a hooley and raining like f*ck. Got to leave the hotel and find a pub to watch the football though. Snow forecast for alter on this evening and overnight. Sadly I wn't be skiing whilst up here Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like the snow is coming in this week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any idea what whitedots glencoe have to hire?

Already got a pair of ones but wanted try preachers and directors
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Toying with heading up for the morning tomorrow... anyone have any thoughts on Glencoe?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Likewise, is it worth it?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The snow should be good and 90% chance of cloud free submits so I would defo be up if I wasn't working and had a done in knee
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like I've been talked into going. See you at first lifts
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GLencoe's FB staus looke promising!

Quote:

‎6" of fresh on top runs, 3" on lower slopes ... All open runs are in excellent shape
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I need to organise a trip up at some point... Think all my weekends are booked up till end of Feb though! Hopefully there will be good snow in March...
latest report
Some pix from Glencoe on Friday...

^The Wall from the foot of the T-bar mid morning on Friday.

^Tracks leading out of the Canyon and from the High Road under the Cliffhanger Chair.

^Boarders head on Old Mugs Alley, it's in good shape, Mugs Alley is a bit thin and scrapped in places.

Full Report and more Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=759
snow report
Which tends to have better skiing Glencoe or Cairngorm?

Which airports do people arrive into and approx transfer times? Flying from Bristol !
ski holidays
1969jma, depends what you're looking for. Glencoe for challenging/interesting terrain IMO. Glasgow airport-->Glencoe Mountain will take you about an hour and forty five minutes.

All 7 lifts open at Glencoe today!
ski holidays
From Friday, bit lift heavy, had hoped to get some POV footage for a fuller video report but didn't get a chance to collate the footage yesterday:

http://youtube.com/v/czqtX2WxdPA
ski holidays
Sometimes, certain things in life can really surprise you even when you thought there were no more major surprises to be had and that happened to me at Nevis yesterday. I've previously skied the 'Back Corrie' runs on the way down Lemmings Ridge including Chancer, Backtrack & Winger Wall etc but it was the first time I've walked to the summit to ski into Coire an Lochain and enjoy the little epic run through the backcountry that could be any Alpine area in the world. The others had already skied Spikes first thing when the visibility had been very good but by the time I met up with them, the clag had closed tightly over the plateau and sliding into the Summit Gully was a matter of some faith for the uninitiated. Fortunately, The Force was with me and the ski out through the Coire back to the ski area was just magic. I'll be back. As soon as I can. snowHead

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?21,2012-01-29

latest report
Thinking about heading up to glencoe tomorrow with a slightly stiff knee and just having a easy going day?

How's the snow anyone?
ski holidays
Had a full day on sunday (29th), really nice fluffy powder, great run doable taking main basin/happy valley down on to mugs alley. Gets a bit thin, though not particularly rocky the closer you get to the Plateau cafe. Looking at the website today the conditions are a bit worse and right enough there were torrents of snow melt water coming down the streams so might be a bit harder going. I'd still say it's worth a trip if you're nearby.
ski holidays
For anyone going out on the mountains tomorrow the windchill at Cairngorm today was -20c to -25c at the top, don't know if it was as bad at the other areas but would wrap up warm.
snow report
Quote:
there were torrents of snow melt water coming down the streams

One thing it certainly wasn't doing today was melting!
latest report
Good to hear it! With any luck I should be free of aching limbs by next weekend Smile
latest report
Hi guys, just a quick question. Im planning a trip to Nevis Range, having recently discovered that you can ski in Scotland (I know, Im slow). Whats the nearest town/place to the slopes you can stay in(B&B, cheap hotel). Since I don't have a car Ill be walking everywhere, and on the map Fort William looks like its a few kilometers away. Anyone know?
snow conditions
Dr.Wrong, Fort william is the nearest place of any size, certainly. There are regular buses from town to the ski lifts
ski holidays
nbt, thx for the answer, i had a closer look at the map and it doesn't look that bad, this thing is definitely happening. 1st time skiing in Scotland, can't wait!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr.Wrong, It was my first time skiing in Scotland this weekend as well. Good vibes all round, very friendly people and lots of people with a good attitude to skiing. Impressed by the extent of both the mountains was expecting much shorter runs.

Great day on Saturday riding in Nevis Range. A mixture of skiing on thin cover lower down (ouch for the bases of my skis) and some nice tracked soft snow in places. Unfortunately didn't go to the Back Corries, which everyone said were really good. Half decent lunch next to the gondola of lasagne, chips and steak pie (only in Scotland snowHead ). Good apres ski curry at Spice tandoori (I think?) in Fort William.

Busy with poor vis in Glencoe on Sunday, but still enjoyed getting a few turns in.

Wouldn't prebook again, but if conditions were decent I'd be up like a shot living from the North of England for a weekend of skiing the Highlands.
snow conditions
Hi Christopher, thanks for the info! Im travelling from Belfast next week, that will be the first time visiting Scotland for me, looking forward to it very much. Anyone know if you can get a Haggis somewhere in Fort William Madeye-Smiley ?
snow report
Try the chip shop Dr.Wrong, it will be battered haggis though! snowHead
ski holidays
Hehe, sounds delish! Ill try to upload a few pics next week, of the pistes, not the haggis Smile.
snow report
Dr.Wrong, if you are traveling without a car, CairnGorm is much easier to access than Nevis Range, there is an at least hourly bus up the mountain from Aviemore. Fort William is very spread out and the bus service to Nevis Range consists of a few randomly timed offerings that are very poor for skiing, you'll need to take a taxi or hitch a lift one way or the other to get an almost full day in and there is NO SUNDAY SERVICE (hello Stagecoach - anyone in?).

An alternative if you really want to try the West Coast is to go to Glencoe. The Glencoe Hotel in Glencoe village which is about 12miles from the snowsports area is offering skier specials which include a courtesy bus between the hotel and the ski area. The Citylink coach service from Glasgow to Fort William stops right outside the front door of the hotel (closer than most of the car parking spaces!).
latest report
Dr.Wrong, The Crofters pub on the highstreet does a drink and a meal for a £1. Haggis was included in the deal. Good deal if you ask me! Food wasn't of restaurant standard, obviously at that price, but it was of acceptable quality. Portions were a bit small, but if the portions aren't satisfactory just order another considering the price.
snow conditions
Winterhighland, thanks for the info, i'll check out Aviemore now. Christopher, one pound for grub and drink sounds great, I thought in touristy places like that the food would be more pricey.
ski holidays
Hi Guys, looking for some advice/tips - staying in Aviemore for a week over half term - accom all booked (wife works in a school so no choice about timing!). Both of us and 9 year old son ski (not quite experienced enough for off piste though getting there!). Have our own kit so dont need to worry about hiring any. Want to ski cairngorm as much as possible over the week but may try some other areas though I think its a fair drive over to the western areas. Praying that the temps dont rise too much next week = looks like mon may be warmer unfortunately. What do you think the slopes will be like by half term? How long are the available pistes in Cairngorm (have skied in Levi - lapland where the slopes were short) . Anyway im sure we will have great time as both wife and son never even been to the highlands - stunning area! Very Happy
snow report
Garethb, it's simply not possible to give an indication of what the situation will be like at half term, even the finer detail of the weekend is uncertain and beyond there is huge uncertainty in the outlook.

On the positive side the balance of teleconnection evidence points to a colder outcome and indeed potentially a backloaded winter like 2008. At this stage don't be worried by the warmer temps forecast for Monday as it's also forecast to be dry with light winds.

From Aviemore to Nevis Range will take you approximately an hour and 15 minutes (distance wise it's 60miles), pretty spectacular scenery as you head along Loch Laggan past Creag Meagaidh, so worth taking one day over there for the scenary. Glencoe is a further 45 minutes, getting through Fort William and out to the Corran Ferry is a bit of a drag, but then as you cross Loch Leven the scenery steps up a notch, I never tire of this stretch of the A82 as it climbs from Glencoe Village up onto Rannoch Moor - just keep an eye out for Northern Constabulary's finest! Shock

The Lecht is around 45mins from Aviemore as well, the quickest way is the back road from Colyumbridge on the Ski Road to CairnGorm, but if you don't know the area it will be easier to follow the A95 and A939.

When on CairnGorm, the volunteer ambassador service offers tours of the ski area, well worth doing if your unfamiliar with the area. They can show you were the better snow is to be found and depending on prevailing conditions/weather, how get the most sliding and avoid the queues.
ski holidays
About to hit the sack, going to hit the 'Gorm for a few hours in the morning, be interesting to see what the snow cannon did overnight with sub -7c wetbulb at the mid-station! Looks like one more day of fine weather if you can get out and play on Friday, then stormy again on Saturday!!! Hopefully bringing snow though, but its all a bit nail biting for the weekend.
snow conditions

^CairnGorm Mountain from Loch Morlich at the end of a bluebird Friday.

Traverse and Gunbarrel much improved over the course of this week, now a good run from top to middle. Traverse is fence to fence from the Top Station to the split from the M1 RaceTrack now. Stormy tomorrow, but hopefully a good lot of snow on Southerly winds which is a great combo for CairnGorm, pretty good for the front of Nevis too.

Full report and more photos: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=760

^Nevis Range Summit Run on Friday.

More Nevis Pix: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=761

Spikes/Back Corries: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2883
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/fqJ6rZ45JKI
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy