Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm it's my birthday on the 10th, got the Thursday and Friday booked off already... Was meant to be going down to Bristol to see my parents, but if I read this and the weather outlook thread correctly there might still be decent skiing? In which case...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks like this. I'm trying to think up an excuse for blobbing on a birthday party this friday Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't you just love this global warming and drought stuff !!! Laughing

Really hitting the UK and European ski season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
emwmarine, well, it kind of did in March Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc, there'll be another birthday next year. When do you reckon you'll next get chance to go skiing on StarWars day?

reminds me, must pack my darth vader helmet....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A few more pics from Cairngorm at the weekend...

Walking up at the start of the day... long queues aren't worth waiting in for the choo choo as it's only 15 mins up to the M1.

Me skinning up to the summit of Cairn Lochan

And back down again

Heading down of the ridge into Sneachda - some lovely lines in the gullies of the Coire if you look hard enough. They were from the day before... some lucky person got freshies in there!

Standing back from the ridge of Sneachda

My view back from where I was standing

Sneachda

Pretty solid early in the day

Atop Cairn Gorm

Coronation Wall was really busy - beautiful snow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, great pics.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

^Warming up on the 'Gorm for 1st May (top of the Traverse).

^M1 RaceTrack was pick of the afternoon, faster spring snow. Best to take Horizon Road to 105, the fenced narrows below the timing hut is getting rocky again, though passable without damage if you take it canny down the last bit.

^The natives are friendly enough and tend to hang out on the viewing terrace!

More Pix and full report: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=791
Public Reports: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3012
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why Saturday was the stand-out day of my season Little Angel

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, nice one Cool

great pic to have...

who threw all of those snow balls at you? Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, looks great, done the back corries myself but never that far from the lift, must add those lines to my "to be done" list!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, the chance for a photo like that has got to be another very good reason why it's best not to ski alone. Cool What you didn't see of course was the arse I made of myself on the first turn Laughing As for those snowballs, the significant bits of avalanche debris were entirely avoidable and the smaller bits were so soft that it didn't phase the skis trajectory at all.

Talking of which Shocked ...
http://youtube.com/v/aSIn4ZF-450

kitenski, Easy Gully was in superb condition and had very little in the way of a cornice at its entrance. And although it's not in the ski area, it is very, very close to the top of the summit button (turn right instead of left), and much closer to it even than 'Chancer'.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moffatross, yeh I know where they are, just always been on my own when skiing Nevis....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
from MWIS:

Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Thursday, 3rd May, 2012

Extensively dry on Thursday, although low cloud will take some hours to break up over the Borders and Pennines. Cold air from the Arctic will gradually envelop all mountain areas from the north on Friday and persist well into next week. Generally, showers, of snow and hail, the snow to a low level in Scotland, will become widespread most afternoons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
from the Gorm - Temperature -2c, heavy snow falling at all levels. Hill fog with visibility 150 meters. Fresh snow overnight with freezing level currently 700 meters. Some drifting in places with the snowpack now firming up. The forecast is to go colder with snow showers, which will enable the groomers to patch up more easily when the snowpack firms up
ski holidays
kitenski, you still thinking about going up midweek next week?
snow report
Mosha Marc, thinking and watching the weather!
latest report
I have to say, this thread routinely has some of the best pictures in the whole of this forum. Scotland is stunning and as an ex-pat Scot it makes me homesick (though I do recall the odd day of having to push to go downhill at Cairngorm, which wasn't so good!).
snow report
Mosha Marc, if the last line in this forecast comes off with a bluebird day after I could well be up there faster than the Mrs can say "where are you off to now..."

Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Saturday, 5th May, 2012

Very cold over the weekend and early next week. Showers of hail, and to a very low level in Scotland, snow will be widespread most afternoons - although on Saturday, mostly only flurries. The air will be very clear, with summits often free of cloud. Heavier perhaps thundery showers into next week, and increasing threat of persistent rainfall spreading slowly north across England and Wales, and perhaps most of Scotland - although the confidence is very low. There could well be widespread snow, particularly Scotland, where it may fall to a low level.
ski holidays
arrived in aviemore at 18.30. had been trying to snow since dalwhinnie with the odd flurry hitting the windscreen - definitely snow not rain. in the village, thesunset is lovely and the odd flake is drifting past us. the 'gotm looks beatiful in the evening sun, as does the coire to the west - can't recall the name offhand. howver it does keep disappearing from view as the clouds drift across, which bodes well for tomorrow....
snow conditions
nbt, it could be either Coire an t-Sneachda or Coire an Lochain you're looking at. Probably the latter as it's easier to see from Aviemore. Have a good one. Smile

ski holidays
well, a bad day on the piste is better than the best day in the office. Given that it's may, today was not bad at all. snow in the ciste is in pretty good nick where pisted, although the freeze / thaw cycle has left it quite hard where not pisted. You do get the odd pocket of drifted snow though which is quite nice. Coire cas has got great snow, the main problem is it doesn't reach quite far enough. The snowline is about 15m vertical above the bottom of the M1 poma. The t-bar is running with a loading point at the top of the gunbarrel, but getting out of the cas requires a skis-off walk to either the m1 or the funicular.

apparently the winch cat has been out this evening, pisting the coronation wall. Will have to see what tonight brings in terms of snowfall, but that chance to ski coronation might make the difference between us skiing tomorrow or doing something else - they really need snow to cover the approach to m1

anyway, these pics probably say more than all those words

May, in scotland. Not bad, eh?

Slight understatement

Tea and cake at Inshriach Nursery on the way down the hill. It's almost worth a 600 mile round trip just for this,
snow report
And so that no-one forgets, some images to remind everyone of just how good it was last weekend:

https://picasaweb.google.com/CathSanders67/ShreddingTheGorm2829April2012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
CathS, great for those who were there last weekend (I couldn't make it, annoyingly), but I was just trying to give a realistic picture of current conditions for those thinking of coming up today...

re that middle pics, the image is maybe slightly misleading, it was skis off at the far corner of the first zig zag. you can ski a lot closer down 105, but the gunbarrel is empty
ski holidays
Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in Embarassed Should have posted them up earlier in the week really.

It does look like it's lost a lot of cover at mid-level though.
ski holidays
nbt, Pistes coronation wall is an interesting move, why haven't they left it as off piste???
snow conditions
kitenski, got warm then cold without much new snow so was probably a bit rank.
snow report
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As Alans deep bath says, outside of the pisted bit, the coronation wall was a bit rank. Mrs NBT and I hiked to the summit and skiied down the wall, it was a bit horrible to be frank - there may have been tears involved, but we'll say no more about that. The pisted bit (accessed by traversing around from the top of the Ptarmigan tow on a likewise pisted traverse) was great though, really nice to get some steep skiing in

As for the rest, the snow was much nicer today, just that little bit softer to allow for easier turning. They;d made an effort to push snow down the 105 but there was still a walk required to the m1 poma. that poma stopped for a while around 3pm, and there was a 5 minute stoppage on the Ptarmigan around lunch, after which as we went up we had to avoid the carnage of a rope snapping! The t-bat was puliing two guys fair enough but neither looked to be too fond of pies! Neither seemed hurt, thankfully,

barring a major overnight dump of snow, I don't think we'll be skiing tomorrow - it's been fun, but with a 6 hour drive home I think we'll go see the ospreys at loch garten and then make our way home through Braemar and glenshee, perhaps.

he forecast though is for major storms to hit the uk this week and that will probably mean another foot or so of snow this week, so next weekend could be worth considering. There are some pretty good bargains in the shops in town too...
snow report
Looks like a promising holiday Monday:

ski holidays
Some recent pics to highlight the late spring season in Scotland has been a bit of a classic....

^Earning your turns...topping out on Tower Gully, Ben Nevis 14th April

^ 14th April Tower Gully, Ben Nevis with around a foot of fresh

^First tracks...15th April Easy Gully, Aonach Mor

^Taking on the Coire an Lochain cliffs, Aonach Mor 28th April

^No 4 Gully, Ben Nevis 29th April

^Taking the high road into Easy Gully, Aonach Mor 4th May

^Fresh tracks in Coire Buidhe, Beinn Mheadhoin, Cairngorms 5th May

^Fantastic Spring snow high above Loch Avon, Cairngorms 6th May
latest report
HighRustler, liking your work Cool
snow conditions
In the Ptarmigan, been snowing most of the afternoon on CairnGorm. Some drifting up top on South winds blowing fresh in to the Ptarmigan and Ciste Bowls. Fiacaill was the pick of the day though, superb spring snow.
snow conditions
HighRustler, fantastic! great skiing!
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
nbt, it could be either Coire an t-Sneachda or Coire an Lochain you're looking at. Probably the latter as it's easier to see from Aviemore. Have a good one. Smile

It was the Lairig Ghru Embarassed
snow conditions
HighRustler,

Those photos are absolute quality, craving some scottish skiing next year after miss timing it this year
snow conditions
Pix from the Holiday Monday: http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=795

^Looking over the Ptarmigan Bowl from near the Ptarmigan Restaurant.

Looking promising for Wednesday for anyone who can get up for a midweek slide:

ski holidays
There's more snow forecast, brilliant for anyone who can get up there.

Now could someone please settle an argument please. nbt says that skiing the 'off piste' from the very top off 'Coronation wall' was/is a red, I say a black? It certainly felt like a black in the conditions we skied it in.

However the last 3rd was sheer bliss and really enjoyable in the good snow, top was hard packed with a 1cm of new snow and felt crunchy underski. Yes I did cry, must WTFU!
ski holidays
Scottish red?

I skied off the top down to the col and then down somewhere between Coronation Wall and the Headwall, and the steep part of that definitely felt 'black' to me.
snow report
forecast for Cairngorm is worth a gander http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cairngorm/6day/top
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy