Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FIS rules are snowboardist

Poster: A snowHead
The Gorm has a bigger prob with runaway boards as the 'main uplift' is the train so boards get carried up the stairs and put on the top of the slope Its from this point that the issue with runaways is biggest.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TotallyBoard, Try being hit by a runaway board, see how comfortable that is Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kel, like I said I've never even seen one let alone been hit by one. If some people are too stupid to stay in control their board then fine they should wear a leash but personally I find them uneccesary and annoying. Why should I have to put myself out because of someone else's stupidity?

kevindonkleywood, these boards are put down flat on their bases? Then education about how to put your board down might help some. A load of people crammed on to a train with elastic leashes attached would be a recipe for boards in the face etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually there would be a way of getting a leash that was safe with both carry and ride, a shortish leash with a double clip on one end that would clip to some sort of cuff, two cuffs one at wrist and one on leg would mean you could be clipped to one or other at any one time and could actually be momentarily clipped to both whilst taking board on or off, this is teh sort of system used when working at very high levels on things like radio masts, though there you need a strong harness rather than an elasticated cuff
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
'tis easy - pay some top gnarly bearded dude to wear a leash in the latest cliff hucking extravaganza, and hey presto! All the baggy panted ones clamber over themselves to get leashed up.......
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There was a good reason for inventing ski brakes, modern safety bindings bought less risk to the skier but resulted in increasing numbers of people injured by released skis, thus some clever fellow came up with the ski brake, a simple (and most importantly) cheap device that would slow or even stop skis on all but the most hostile of slopes.

Snowboards don't have the same likelihood of coming off unintentionally as their bindings are not designed to release like a skis, therefore the biggest danger of loosing a board is when taking it off or (more likely) putting it on thus the use of a leash
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf,

And before Ski brakes (I am sure their must be a techy name for them) ski's were attached to the leg by a leash.

Guvnor,

So true Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, or you could just stop people being oafs. The people that put their boards down on their bases are likely to be the same people that forget to clip your new leash on.

If I see people putting their boards down on their bases I tend to have a quiet word about how stupid they're being and how dangerous it is.

There is no substitute for using your brain
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TotallyBoard,
Quote:

There is no substitute for using your brain

Oh I agree, probably the same idiots that do that are the one that lie down for some weed in the middle of the piste... One can only hope Darwinism will play its part eventually
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guys if it's gone back to 1995 you might do better to warn people of upcoming natural disasters than to rehash this argument.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, as I said earlier my leash was so fiddly that it was harder to get done up than my bindings and thus more risky (I had to put my foot in my binding in order to put it on). I don't get on with the longer leashes for reasons explained earlier, but I don't let my board get away from me because I'm not a moron (it doesn't have a life of it's own, I'm pretty good at predicting what it's going to do, apart from when I'm on it Wink).

I've seen plenty of crashes and accidents on the mountain but as I said have never seen a runaway snowboard (maybe there's scores of snowboarders throwing their kit down the hill and I'm not observant enough).

I keep a leash in my pocket in case of over enthusiastic lifties but have never had to use it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf, oh do please FRO with that cliche, on my last 2 trips it was skiers standing in a line across the brow of the hills that was the main problem rather than snowboarders. There's idiots in both sports, I think you're suffering from something called confirmation bias.

Yeah we're all dope smoking morons who are a danger to every other mountain user and should be shot at dawn, happy now?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TotallyBoard, that is the point though - I do put my board down 'bindings first', but then my ski buddies put their skis down 'bases first' next to it but do not seem to have an issue, so is the issue a board thing really?. I bought a short leash once and like you it was harder to put on (impossible with big mitts/gloves) than my bindings

I have seen two run-away boards, one from the piste that hurtled in to the off piste (Whistler female) and one which came hurtling out of the off piste, crossed the piste and then finally came to a stop off piste again (Chamonix - male)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, is it a board issue or an education issue? I was never told, but my common sense made me put my board down on the non-slidy bit from the first day I started riding. Something in the FIS stating that you are responsible for your snowsports equipment and any injury it causes if it gets away from you, would IMO be more use than the poxy shoelace leashes.

The FIS rules don't seem to be held in high regard by a lot of skiers and/or snowboarders judging by the amount of times I got pulled out on by people not looking up the hill and by a skier going faster than he was capable of and taking out my 5yo daughter.

I would guess that the people who most need leashes on their snowboards are the ones least likely to know the FIS rules in the first place. Maybe rules that leashes must be provided (and use of explained) with all rental boards might be a good idea. It might be an idea for rental shops to stress that boards should be put 'bindings down' and to explain why. I'd guess that rental shops doing these 2 things would all but negate the need for the FIS to make leashes compulsary for all snowboarders.

Personally I don't want or need a leash on my board.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TotallyBoard, agreed
ski holidays
TotallyBoard, having seen a grand total of two unaccompanied boards on the hill in nearly 15 full seasons, I'd suggest the only 'issue' here is why none of these allegedly gainfully employed snowheads has nothing better to do than post drivel on the interweb. Laughing
snow report
Bring back jeans and gaiters Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Dot. wrote:
Bring back jeans and gaiters Toofy Grin

& White SX91 rear entry boots.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
TotallyBoard, having seen a grand total of two unaccompanied boards on the hill in nearly 15 full seasons, I'd suggest the only 'issue' here is why none of these allegedly gainfully employed snowheads has nothing better to do than post drivel on the interweb. Laughing

Really, I reckon I must have seen at least one on every weekly trip I've been on. Maybe they are aiming them at me. snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 20-05-11 15:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
I have of course voluntarily and deliberately however initiated runaway boards on a few occasions...

of course the only endangerment was to squirrels plus scratches to myself as I waded into thickets to recvoer them after my strop
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy