Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Patellar tendon pain

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all -

So, early January of the ski season I hit a blind compression and got spat out onto an uphill slope - felt the muscles under both kneecaps strain a lot. Since then, it's been pretty recurrent - constant dull ace some days, and running/jogging or any mild impact that I don't absorb completely instantly brings back the soreness in the muscle/s. It seems to be blocking me bending my knees quite effectively when it's flared up, squatting down just feels impossibe unless I let my legs crumple underneath me and then coming up is really uncomfortable.

I can trigger the ache sat in a chair and raising my knee, and the pain kicks in as my leg straightens, but bringing heel to bum stretching it doesn't really hurt.

Should I see a physio? Anything I can do to make summer sports bearable? Just had a kick about for a few hours and within five mins I lost any ability to jog or use my legs for anything explosive. Would braces or patella straps help? I'm deep into shoulder season right now and paying for a physio is really a bit awkward.

Cheers,
Dave

edit - I had osgood-schlatter in both knees when I was younger, still got an impressive lump in my left knee but as far as I know this is something you grow out of right?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC, if you are back in 'ull then you can call physiodirect on 01482 300003 - you have to be registered with a local GP. They can give telephone advice or may decide to see you. Its probably a good place to start - for free Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sunnbuel, cheers, in Fernie permanently now though so definitely missing the NHS! I'm going in circles google doctoring myself so figured I'd ask the collective Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaveC, welcome to being an old guy wink I played volleyball for many many years and have patellar tendon problems. and that gave me osgood sclatter as well. sounds familiar and i still have the lumps not sure they disappear..... the best thing i found was to take glucosamine and omega 3 to help with cartiledge renewal for prevention and wear a rubber type knee sock to hold everything together when skiing plus copious vitamin I. I never got on with patella straps or taping, they really didnt work when skiing. That plus a lot of stretching and pilates allowed me to get into skiing and stay skiing.
I havent run in 20 years, awful for the knee joint and both my physios are strongly against running. Ultrasound can help to stimiluate tissue repair but no magic bullets in my experience.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC wrote:
sunnbuel, cheers, in Fernie permanently now though so definitely missing the NHS! I'm going in circles google doctoring myself so figured I'd ask the collective Smile

Are you officially an emigrant then? What are you doing for summer work?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was a bit worried I'm just getting old Sad Thanks skimottaret though, I'll go look up glucosamine, someone mentioned it being helpful on TGR too when I had a search.

fatbob, I'm on step zero of actually getting residency, which is going to be a nightmare, but I just got a full time job as a live in superintendant at the silver rock condos - cleaning, maintainence, security type stuff - seven days a week type job but should get a good amount of ski time come winter too so it feels pretty perfect!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy