Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
looking at options for 2012. if we had an appartment, in one of the hamlets outside ischgl, how good is the ski bus service. What time does it stop running. how easy is it to self cater in terms of supermarkets in Ischgl or possibly Kappl.

Can anyone reccomend a good large apartment there sleeping 10 comfortably.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dan100,
Have stayed at Kappl for a few years.
A few points, we use a rental car and drive from the apartment so cannot comment on frequency or reliability of ski bus service but it looks quite crowded at peak times though we are there in high season. You can probably find the timetable on the web site.

The supermarkets in both Ischgl and our one visit to the Kappl one are adequately stocked but become very crowded indeed at peak timeswith big queues. With a car there is a much better one down at See just opened last year and a cheap Aldi down in the valley at Landeck. The See one is not open on a Sunday not sure about the others.
The bakers deliver to most appartments in Kappl early morning and have things like milk, jam, orange juice etc. which makes things easier. The owner of the appartment will usually put in the order for you. (Most apartments are either small purpose built buildings with the owner living close by or part of the owners residence but self contained)

Cannot recommend 10 man apartments as we are eight, all the ones we have used have been good inside. One thing to watch though is that what is marketed as Kappl is a large number of different hamlets, some nicer than others, check if the one you choose is near the bus for Ischgl if this is important. Also watch for ones on the main road as it is quite busy and there may be a fair bit of traffic noise also a bit low and dark in the first half of the season. The accomodation search engine on the Kappl web site is a little tricky at first but when you get the hang of it very useful if you stick in the numbers and the times you want the descriptions of the accommodation are in our experience accurate and the quality of the three different appartments we use have been good though our favourite is now the one we return to.

If considering Kappl but sking Ischgl one thing to be aware of is that you will pay a higher price for the lift pass as the discounted Ischgl /Samnaun only one is available only to those with Ischgl/Mathon guest cards other people have to buy the full valley one. (Kappl and Galtur are well worth skiing in their own right but I have not yet tried See)

Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stayed in kappl last 2 years. Last year we used the bus and was fine but better taking taxi - c.€12 each way, so fine for group. We stayed at the gasthof alpenfrieden this year and was an excellent find right on the piste. €49 pppn db&b. Food service and location was excellent. There are sone really smart looking apartments closer to the church and I'll try to get the details to you. Kappl is a great wee ski area with a couple of really long runs. Good for group too as all the runs tend to meet up, so great for mixed abilities
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dan100, Can't answer your bus service questions as I've never used it other than to say I believe they are frequent at beginning and end of day. If you stay in Ischgl you won't need the ski bus as all of the lifts are within walking distance. In apartment terms Ischgl isn't the best as most people stay in hotels or B&Bs but there are some available. Trying to find one that sleeps 10 might be tricky. The Kramerwirt apartments are nice and convenient but sleep a maximum of 9. They might be prepared to squeeze another bed in but obviously at the expense of comfort.

www.kirchwirt-ischgl.at/

You could also try the Neder where I always stay. Its a B&B but I know it contains at least 1 and I think 2, 6 bed apartments.

www.neder.at

Otherwise have a look at the Ischgl website but it may be a bit if a trawl. However, there is a non binding enquiry facility where you can enter your requirements and the tourist board will look for you and reply with anything suitable.

In terms of self catering its pretty easy. There are two good supermarkets, one at either end of town.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.mattle.at/ferienwohnen/ think these are the apartments we passed on a walk one night. Looked really smart and close to the spar and slopes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Went to Ischgl in January

I believe the bus between Kappel and Ischgl is a payable 'service' bus that runs about every 30 miniutes.

We had a day skiing in Galtur, which is in the opposite direction to Kappel, and there is a ski-bus service that runs every 15 minutes or so and is free with the Silvretta ski pass
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
codyaitch,
Quote:

I believe the bus between Kappel and Ischgl is a payable 'service' bus that runs about every 30 miniutes.

There is a post bus from the valley that is payable but the ski bus from Kappl is free.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One time visitor to Ischgl area (Jan this year) so can't claim expertise of other posters.

Stayed in Galtur and although had researched bus times, still found the timetable surprisingly restrictive on our apres-ski (with hindsight, we didn't really think it through properly). Seems strange for an area which claims such famous "party" status that the last bus runs about 7.30pm, if I remember correctly.

One of the reasons, we probably won't return.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess if we stayed in kappl we would probably have hire cars. Alot of the apartments being offered are in Mathon which seems a few kilometres out of Ischgl. How easy is it to park proximate to the lifts? Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100,
Quote:

How easy is it to park proximate to the lifts? Thanks

There is free parking about two minutes from Pardatschatgratbahn or however it is spelled which fills up fairly quickly, but we usuallly manage a space. There is fairly cheap underground parking near both main lifts which seems easy to get into(about 5€ per day from memory). Then there is a massive outdoor car park over the main road which is about a five minute walk to the lifts and is free. Never known it to be full.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hallo dan 100,
Ischgl is a very big ski resort, and KAPPL; SEE; GALTÜR are smaller ski-areas,, but just as great as Ischgl. They all offer all necessary tourism facilities. I think in all ski-areas the bus is rather crowded during high season, the same with the supermarkets. All people go shopping at about 4 - 5 o'clock. But anyway, you always get the stuff you need. Another thing is that almost all stores are closed during sundays in all resorts in Austria. Some of them, only open half day.
here you can find some information about KAPPL, SEE and GALTÜR:
http://www.kappl.com/ski-resort-austria-tyrol.en.htm
http://www.galtuer.com/index-winter.en.htm
http://www.see.at/index-winter.en.htm
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
T Bar wrote:
dan100,
Cannot recommend 10 man apartments as we are eight

If you do have any good recommendations for 8 person apartments, in or around Kappl, please would you send a PM. I've been to Kappl and Iscghl a few times, always staying b&b, but looking for somewhere to take the family and a s/c option may be best. Thank you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am looking to buy a package to a hotel in Ischgl. We will have a son in ski school who we will have to pick up at lunchtime. He is 8 and will likely tire if we go too far with him in the morning.

As I am pre-booking stuff (and Crystal are offering buy one get one free offer for local - not area - ski pass), I would be interested in peoples views as to whether for a week's holiday it is worth us getting a valley pass as opposed to the local one. Or if we book the local one (with the offer) can we upgrade an odd day here or there.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TheManOnTheBus, if the Crystal BOGOF is for the local Ischgl pass only (called the VIP pass) then you'll have more then enough to go at so just go for that. If you do decide to have a daytrip to one of the other resorts just buy a day pass, would think you'll be quids in.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TheManOnTheBus,
There is masses to ski on the Ischgl pass it includes Samnaum if you get the VIP one which is what I assume you will be. By the time you pick your son up have lunch and travel to another area you won't be getting much use out of your skiing time. I would stick with the local one.
snow report
I loved the Ischgl supermarket (could it be a Billa?) at the 'near' end of the village, on the left on the way into Ischgl from down the valley. It was great for picnic stuff and snacks but my best buy was a beige pair of fabric Hauschuhe for 0.99 Euro. Still intact after much use, four months later.

Accomm: although we were staying in b&bs we found very much cheaper options on the edge of Ischgl village (for instance, the other side of the road, or out towards the Galtur end) than towards the middle. You might find the same with apartments. Even though it's a biggish town and huge ski area we didn't find it that far to walk to a lift from any point in the village.

T Bar, agree with you on parking - Pardatschgrat end fills up swiftly but there's stacks of space near the other main lift.
snow conditions
Big Paua wrote:

One of the reasons, we probably won't return.

What are the others just out of interest?
latest report
TheManOnTheBus, As others have said local pass will be fine we have been twice and that has done us fine.
I would be careful where you choose to stay though some bits of the town are on the noisy side at times
If you are away from the center of the main street and the bottom of the runs its a lot quieter. I'm assuming you will not be partying all night with a 8 year old Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Like Big Paua, I was staying at Galtur in January and I found the Bus service restrictive if you wanted Ischgl's Apres Ski, I had to take a taxi if I wanted to have a night in Ischgl after the evening meal at my hotel and that was more than 10 euros each way. I'd stay in Ischgl itself but its Hotels are WAY out of my price range, even Courchevel 1850 was more affordable this coming season. (which is where I'm headed!)

Apart from that gripe the skiing is excellent and the Ski down to the Swiss side in Samnaun is enjoyable, if I had the money I would stay in Ischgl!
latest report
The ski bus schedule for Ischgl and neigbouring resorts can be found here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy