Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long shot: Anyone know Chalet Edelweiss (or others) in Altitude apartments, Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As it says in the title really, I wondered if anyone knows anything about the 'chalets' in this apartment block.

I'm particularly interested to know about location (e.g. ski in/out) and proximity to resort

any info welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi

Not sure if you are still finding out the info. They are based in Balcons which is high up the resort. You can more or less ski back if enough snow. Skiing out is little more difficult though.
Let me know if you want more info.

Stu
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I know it really rather well, because I am organising a big group trip to another chalet in the Balcons this year and have checked it out while we were in VT this season.

It is about a 2-3 minute walk down the hill into the centre of the resort (to the shopping centre bit where there's bars and restaurants) and a couple more minutes to other bars and restaurants on the other side.

It seems to be almost ski in/out if there is decent snow, there is a run that goes just below the block, you have to take the lift over the top of the chalet as I understand it and then ski down - we were there at Easter and the hot weather had scuppered that, but most seemed to be able to get to the end of the road and then walk up the hill, about 200m or so.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Out the front door cross the road to the last apartment block on the right. Get the lift down to to the lowest floor, go out the back door and ski down (can be a steep start) to the path which then leads onto the bridge by the top of the Cairn lift.

Getting back come down Plein Sud but go straight on where the piste swings left back round towards Val. Very short but steepish descent (rocks depending on snow) to a steel walkway which leads onto the road almost next to the apartments.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Very short but steepish descent (rocks depending on snow) to a steel walkway which leads onto the road almost next to the apartments.

And here's me thinking the walkway leads to the door of the very nice Red Fox pub, which has a great happy hour (€3.50 a pint) Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, Out of interest who is offering these apartments in VT? I'm currently looking at organising a trip for new year to VT and can not find any chalets in resort (mostly inles menuires etc.)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bergmeister wrote:
Quote:

Very short but steepish descent (rocks depending on snow) to a steel walkway which leads onto the road almost next to the apartments.

And here's me thinking the walkway leads to the door of the very nice Red Fox pub, which has a great happy hour (€3.50 a pint) Toofy Grin

You're right, the pub comes first!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

which has a great happy hour (€3.50 a pint)

More of a mildly-relieved-not-to-be-being-ripped-off-as-much-as-usual-for-a-large-glass-of-warm-eurofizz hour Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nollafb wrote:
Hi, Out of interest who is offering these apartments in VT? I'm currently looking at organising a trip for new year to VT and can not find any chalets in resort (mostly inles menuires etc.)

Ski World run some of them, we've arranged through Iglu who have been pretty useful so far sorting out a range of weird and wonderful problems.

The different apartments may be run by different companies, it is a fairly big complex.

One of the reasons you may be struggling to find new year weeks in some chalets is because of the way the weekend falls this year on both Christmas and New Year. Some companies are running Friday to Friday before NY, others are running midweek to midweek and then correcting it in first week of Jan.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

One of the reasons you may be struggling to find new year weeks in some chalets is because of the way the weekend falls this year on both Christmas and New Year. Some companies are running Friday to Friday before NY, others are running midweek to midweek and then correcting it in first week of Jan

I think this is the main issue, We really need to be looking at 26th 27th 28th as starting days because of peoples holidays. I think this is cutting the choice down by approx 60%.

thanks for your help though will have a look through Iglu and Ski world tonight.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nollafb wrote:
Quote:

One of the reasons you may be struggling to find new year weeks in some chalets is because of the way the weekend falls this year on both Christmas and New Year. Some companies are running Friday to Friday before NY, others are running midweek to midweek and then correcting it in first week of Jan

I think this is the main issue, We really need to be looking at 26th 27th 28th as starting days because of peoples holidays. I think this is cutting the choice down by approx 60%.

thanks for your help though will have a look through Iglu and Ski world tonight.

You don't need to look through Ski World as well, Iglu sell Ski World holidays - they are the travel agent, Ski World is the Tour Operator.

Best option in the current situation is probably to ring Iglu and speak to someone about what you need, and get them to do the searching for you. It works for me, and as a travel agent it is kind of their job...

It is probably cutting the choice down by more than 60% IMO. This year seems to be much messier than previous years for the TOs, and they all seem to be doing things differently...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had a quick poke at chalets in Val Thorens through Iglu, and found nothing.

Only option coming up for VT is here - almost ski in/out, this is right near the town centre and you get back by jumping on the lift at the bottom of the pistes and takes you to about 50 yards from the front door: http://www.igluski.com/val-thorens/club-med-val-thorens_p6884?holidayid=36756215 not cheap though, £1300 per person...

There's loads of other options in other resorts in France for those dates, start around £525 for self catered apartments in Montegenevre and Serre Chevalier through to half board hotels at £1K plus per person. Cheapest catered option I can find is this: http://www.igluski.com/montgenevre/chalet-soleil_p30773?holidayid=34870247

The dates are clearly a problem for many mainstream TOs (Iglu deal with most of the big TOs) so suggest you either look to smaller companies, private chalet owners, or different countries.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Main issue is dates. Only 2 or 3 operators (including the big ones) are doing 26/27/28 departures and none of them to VT. Les Menuires and Le Bettaix have a few options but I wouldn't bother for new year, too quiet. Only ops i know of doing these dates are Ski Amis and VIP. The Edelweiss was run by Ski France for the past few years but they dropped them over the summer.

Change dates and your options increase. Delay it by a couple of days, go out 2nd Jan and you can pick up 5-6 night breaks for a song.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy